veb_yw
Private

Should I get this game?

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi. I have just gotten into Ageod games and am enjoying Civil War 2 tremendously. TEAW seems to be on a larger scale with more units, nations, fronts etc. Is TEAW even harder to get into? Should I wait for the game to be patched further? Appreciate your thoughts!

HerrDan

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:43 pm

veb_yw wrote:Hi. I have just gotten into Ageod games and am enjoying Civil War 2 tremendously. TEAW seems to be on a larger scale with more units, nations, fronts etc. Is TEAW even harder to get into? Should I wait for the game to be patched further? Appreciate your thoughts!

It's an incredible game, I think you should definitely get it! The games here are always being patched and updated to get even better, so I wouldn't think you'd need to wait for another patch before start playing.

Btw, welcome aboard! :)
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

veb_yw
Private

Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:40 am

Thanks. It's getting harder to resist. Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to get this :D :mdr:

BigDuke66
General

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:48 am

Well if the core game isn't enough, here is an interesting mod that really expands this game and pushes it on a higher level:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?39807-To-End-All-Wars-Mod-Ultimate-Enhancement-Mod
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Shri

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:37 am

Do get it and do get the DLC and that enhancement MOD.
Really great game.
Start with tannenberg etc and then graduate to a full campaign, once you understand basics, play PBEM.
Rascals, would you live forever? - Frederick the Great.

veb_yw
Private

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks. I find missing portraits in the let's play videos on Youtube. Has that been fixed? For some reason, I just find the missing faces extremely disconcerting and creepy.

HunterICX
Corporal

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:28 pm

veb_yw wrote:Thanks. It's getting harder to resist. Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to get this :D :mdr:

I have a problem with thinking of an excuse not to get it but I can give you plenty of excuses to get it. ;) Welcome on the forum by the way.

veb_yw wrote:Thanks. I find missing portraits in the let's play videos on Youtube. Has that been fixed? For some reason, I just find the missing faces extremely disconcerting and creepy.

I think it depends on what photos/potraits can be found of the of the general/commander to give it a proper face within the game. So if none can be found then sadly his potrait will remain that way.

veb_yw
Private

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Just to inform that I got the game plus DLC and am now trying to figure it out. Lots of fun! :D

HerrDan

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:22 pm

veb_yw wrote:Just to inform that I got the game plus DLC and am now trying to figure it out. Lots of fun! :D

Very good! I'm sure you won't regret your choice! :)
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Troianii
Civilian

Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:06 am

veb_yw wrote:Hi. I have just gotten into Ageod games and am enjoying Civil War 2 tremendously. TEAW seems to be on a larger scale with more units, nations, fronts etc. Is TEAW even harder to get into? Should I wait for the game to be patched further? Appreciate your thoughts!

Have you played AGEOD games before? AGEOD has a bad history of poor playability. Don't get me wrong, I bought Civil War 2 and loved it, but the tutorial was no too helpful (there were multiple points where it said to do something and the instructions told you to do something you wouldn't understand the first time around, making the tutorial near useless). It took a long time to get, and there are still some parts I don't get, but I enjoyed the game and it was worth my $50. But I have multiple friends who I'd love to get to play the game but don't because it's too complex.

This one isn't much different. The tutorial is easier to use this time around, but seems to cover much less. There are a lot of things which you have to play through to get, I haven't found where they're explained otherwise. Myself, these are the two periods of history I find most interesting, and so they've been worth the money for me. But I really love the grand strategy games and have some spare time to spend hours and hours just running through and figuring a game out. This has a deep learning curve, and if you're ready to play 6-14hrs just to figure out a game, go for it. And I don't say that facetiously - I'm starting to get a decent handle on it after playing about 7hrs, and I think it's worth it and would recommend getting it, but you should be prepared for a steep learning curve.

Shri

Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:19 am

@Troiannii

AGEOD games are quite detailed, meticulous and well-planned/well-researched, in-fact the DEVS often accept suggestions at the time of BETA to put HISTORICITY correctly or as correctly as possible (sure the Engine has some issues, but then all AI has issues).
In general, to realise the real complexity it is better to try the PBEM route, there are a lot of players out there and within a week you will find 1/2 partners. Play against them with the option of "revenge match" open. So that even if you lose with 1 side in game 1, you will use your learning in game 2 to win.

That said, i agree it takes time to learn about - supply, cohesion, etc. In fact mastering SUPPLY has been impossible for me despite spending a good deal of time BETA testing TEAW and playing some of the other games. Even now i make some SUPPLY mistakes.
Again, knowledge of History or at-least a good outline of various battles and strategies in the said time-frame helps a lot.
Rascals, would you live forever? - Frederick the Great.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:05 pm

veb_yw wrote:Just to inform that I got the game plus DLC and am now trying to figure it out. Lots of fun! :D

I have actually found it as one of the easier Aegod games to get into.

There are also several Let's Plays on youtube to help you with commands and decisions and strategies, even, but if you know a little about WW1, you probably know what the strategies were.
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

CFF
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:29 pm

best game!

Return to “To End All Wars”