Pocus

EAW 1.02 Public Beta patches (latest update: February 6th, 2015)

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:22 pm

Dear Players,

Here is the link to the current public beta version of EAW 1.02. These are called 'release candidates' because each can potentially be the official one, if there is no issue of importance. They should be very stable in any case.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/downloads/latest/Patch_EAW_v1.02rc5_public.rar

There are not that many entries for now, but some are significant, like improved retreat rules and engine optimization.

Patch 1.02 RC5
Release Date: February 6[B][SUP]th[/SUP], 2014[/B]
How to update your game:

This patch is a comprehensive patch. It can upgrade to latest version any previous version of EAW. This patch is save-compatible.

Gameplay

Improved retreat logic.
stacks don't retreat from regions not having an offensive posture stack
Stack in retreat or doing MTSG can't cross blockaded river or pass through 'front' because of ZOC.
Leaders will only lose seniority on January 1st and July 1st, this should help for promotion potential.
There is a 25% chance that artillery manages to counter fire enemy artillery instead of firing on a frontline element.
Evasion value for stacks with leaders was erroneous in some cases
Decisions and partisans can remove only one depot level per try.
AttritionLoss stored for each group and displayed as a single message at end of turn (includes weather and wear&tear)
besieged group can't escape besiegers with evade roll
RC3
Evasion is pro-ratised to cohesion

Interface

better AB display in Forces & Units list, leaders sorted properly by name. Units ID sorted as expected (5th before 11st)
In Forces, Units, Regions listing, can scroll one page at a time with key up/down. Tooltip added to the scrollbar also.
RC3
NEW: You can abort a move waypoint by clicking on the move roundel (where the travel time is displayed).
Several bug fixes related to the display of hits in the battle report.

AI

Ai fix on blockade run estimation

Engine

Improved game turn loading (-40% faction loading time, -15% overall hosting time)
RC3
Extra script command related to weather.
Fix to ai bug not replacing player properly
Fix to recurring crash on next turn (message about a pre-export crash).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Nico165
Lieutenant

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks for the work, did not think a second patch would come that fast :)

Is there anything in there about Franch AI attacking Metz all the time and losing the NM game because of it ?

elxaime
General

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:36 pm

The retreat fix should help those situations where the attacker is falling back, but wins the last battle and both sides retreat out of the region. The new artillery counter-bombardment rule may have a big impact.

The partisan depot thing seems an import from the ACW2 fixes, as to my knowledge there are no partisans or partisan decisions in EAW. Maybe in Arab rebellion? Haven't got there yet.

What's the deal though with river blocking? I thought that wasn't in EAW. Does this mean those Hapsburg river monitors now have some value?

MrFreeze
Conscript

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:58 pm

A faster turn resolution is great news!

Nico165
Lieutenant

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:24 am

MrFreeze wrote:A faster turn resolution is great news!

Historical campaign, WE, first turn with every AI option checked : 1'20 minute between pushing "play" and the first movements. It will surely become longer in later turns with more stuff to compute, but the same test before AGEOD began working on the turn resolution could go as high as 11 minutes. So great news indeed !

DDLAfan
Corporal

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:44 am

Hi replacement pool button in the war production tab for W Entente not allowing me to cycle through the different countries. This is with this beta. Thanks.

Pocus

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:50 pm

That's correct, for the production screen you can either see the details on a unit or the replacements, I'll fix that.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ajarnlance
General of the Army

AGESettings.exe missing...

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:03 pm

I got an error message when I tried to run the game. The game is missing the DirectX 8.1 D3DX8 DLL file. I downloaded the missing file and put it in the game directory. Now I get another error message: the AGESettings.exe is missing????
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Pocus

Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:03 am

They should have been there from the initial installation, because the patch don't add or remove them.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:44 am

Pocus wrote:They should have been there from the initial installation, because the patch don't add or remove them.

It's ok, I copied the missing file from another place. My ongoing problem us that Steam doesn't update my game... maybe this is because I bought the game from Matrix and then migrated to Steam. The really bizarre outcome of this is that I show the latest version (1.02) after I update manually BUT I am still playing with the old version... I have none of the new features... trench level memory.. a traffic option.. nothing.. even though under credits it says I have the latest version.

UPDATE: OK I too my game off Steam and re-installed it. Now the update is working... just got to keep my game away from steam...
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

The Red Baron

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 am

After downloading the public beta, WinRAR extracted the files to a folder called "to End All Wars". Inside this folder is a folder titled "EAW," which contains subfolders for "GameData", "Graphics," etc. I copied all the subfolders of the extracted file to my original "EAW" folder (created upon game installation) and allowed Windows to update any duplicate files. Everything seemed to work well until I pressed F2 and viewed the screen image below. Anyone have any idea where I went wrong?

[ATTACH]32689[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1.02 RC2 F2 Screenie.jpg

Pierrus21
Private

Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:42 am

Je pense que cela vient du patch béta. L'utilisation des voies ferrées pour l'entente occidentale n'est pas possible avec la Grande-Bretagne et la Belgique. L'option est disponible, le pool est utilisé mais le déplacement des piles n'est pas effectué par voies ferrées pour les forces qui ne sont pas françaises.
Si vis pacem para bellum ; Qui veut la paix prépare la guerre (Végèce)
L'argent est le nerf de la guerre (adage romain)

Pocus

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:50 am

For people having a crash when there is a new turn (but not upon reloading same turn with the load window), can you try this quick fix:

http://we.tl/qyo6VUQ1aN

get from the link the new EAW.EXE and use it instead of the old one please, and report back. Thanks!

Pocus

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:32 am

UPDATE about a bug affecting some people on a new turn. If that's the case:

You'll find in the archive the updated EXE for both EAW and CW2, please choose your poison and report back :)

Thanks for your help!

http://we.tl/ulx71e0D3U

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:17 am

both links are broken if these fixes apply to the new patch
TEAW Beta Team

Pocus

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:05 pm

New release candidate, for you to test game stability!

Highlandcharge

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi there Pocus, I have a question, I have some generals in the Berlin area with no units attached, is it WAD that they build entrenchments?

Thanks

goodpoints
Conscript

Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:29 pm

Pocus wrote:For people having a crash when there is a new turn (but not upon reloading same turn with the load window), can you try this quick fix:

http://we.tl/qyo6VUQ1aN

get from the link the new EAW.EXE and use it instead of the old one please, and report back. Thanks!

Still having this issue with RC5, with both pre-beta saves and new games. It goes up to day 2 in the first resolution segment then locks up.

bjmorgan
Corporal

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:24 am

I'm still winning in 4 turns as the German. French and Russian futile banzai attacks in Lehmburg and Metz are the culprit. I had 160 morale points at the end.

Sorry, guys, but this is just ridiculous. But, at least I didn't capture half the French army with this patch, just a few supply and munitions units.

Searry
Colonel

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:39 pm

So this patch(RC5) makes the Galician mountains impassable during the winter. Why? If they have railways, shouldn't I(CP) be able to move troops through them?
Also this patch seems to move your units around however it likes. For example one of my armies was moved to Caporetto(Italian territory) from Villach(AH territory).
A telegraph group got moved from Innsbruck(mountain) to Wildspitze(alpine). It doesn't seem to make any sense. I think you should look at this save.
Attachments
TEAW_WEn_GEEn_SCP.zip
(459.95 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

Byrd
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:11 pm

bjmorgan wrote:I'm still winning in 4 turns as the German. French and Russian futile banzai attacks in Lehmburg and Metz are the culprit. I had 160 morale points at the end.

Sorry, guys, but this is just ridiculous. But, at least I didn't capture half the French army with this patch, just a few supply and munitions units.

Play a human and see how that goes. Or turn up the bonuses given to the AI.

The way you describe it is more the way history did and could have turned out, so all you're saying is "It's working".

Judging a game by how hard you can beat the computer seems, you know.

Pocus

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:18 am

We will check if the issue is as terrible as implied (reaching 160 morale in 4 turns should not happen), but there will be sometime before another patch (there is one being released this week). For now on, if you can crank the AI one notch, this will be better for your enjoyment of the game. Currently you are playing versus some thousands lines of AI code that get negligible or even no advantages against your 100-billions cells human brain ;)

Searry
Colonel

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:52 am

Pocus can you comment on the save which I posted?

bjmorgan
Corporal

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Byrd wrote:Play a human and see how that goes. Or turn up the bonuses given to the AI.

The way you describe it is more the way history did and could have turned out, so all you're saying is "It's working".

Judging a game by how hard you can beat the computer seems, you know.

Sadly, this is the response I expected.

Sorry, but I don't think the French would have attacked over and over until one day they decide to just surrender. So, It's NOT historical.

And if a game can't be enjoyed against the AI, then just publish a human opponent game only.

The bonuses that are given to the AI don't overcome the absence of strategic and tactical common sense in the AI.

There are a couple simple fixes. Once the country's national morale falls to a certain level, then it conducts no more attacks outside it's borders. Or, how about an even simpler solution. Reduce the loss and of national morale for large battle losses. That reduction could go down every year, so that a major loss in 1918 has more NM loss that one in 1914.

HerrDan

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:50 pm

bjmorgan wrote:Sadly, this is the response I expected.

Sorry, but I don't think the French would have attacked over and over until one day they decide to just surrender. So, It's NOT historical.

And if a game can't be enjoyed against the AI, then just publish a human opponent game only.

The bonuses that are given to the AI don't overcome the absence of strategic and tactical common sense in the AI.

There are a couple simple fixes. Once the country's national morale falls to a certain level, then it conducts no more attacks outside it's borders. Or, how about an even simpler solution. Reduce the loss and of national morale for large battle losses. That reduction could go down every year, so that a major loss in 1918 has more NM loss that one in 1914.

Are you sure you're playing the same game we are playing? It sounds like another game to me, I've never seen these things happening (160 NM in 4 turns etc...).
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Hubu
Conscript

Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:05 am

HerrDan wrote:Are you sure you're playing the same game we are playing? It sounds like another game to me, I've never seen these things happening (160 NM in 4 turns etc...).

It happens almost every single time. I win in early septembre with over 150NM, and I hardly do nothing! I play the Hoffman event right and strenghten Lemberg, and I invade Belgium. Three months later, boom, 600000+ entente dead, 400000 EA dead, 150000 prisonners, and 320000+ losses on my part. Instawin, because Lesperey keeps on sending his quite awful number of kamikaze towards my heavily defended/fortified region of Metz. I capture intact artillery brigade and enough supplies to last the war.
WTF?

AndrewKurtz

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:34 am

What are your game settings? Most importantly, AI settings.

Pocus

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:47 am

We are discussing again the issue between ourselves.

Return to “Help improve EAW”