elxaime
General

Do naval units on rivers block enemy land units? And what do forts do on rivers?

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:33 pm

The latest 1.02 patch notes state:

"Stack in retreat or doing MTSG can't cross blockaded river or pass through 'front' because of ZOC."

Does this mean that naval units can block enemy land units from crossing a river if they possess the required elements, a la ACW2?

This may be somewhat moot, since the most applicable use would be the four Austro-Hungarian monitors of the Donau Division to operate on the Sava River to prevent the Serbs from crossing. However the tooltip says you need eight elements and it isn't clear that even if you had eight it would do the trick to block crossing, e.g. to Peterwardein, since the river zones bisect the relevant land zones.

However, in Prussia/Poland, if you send light units from the Hochseeflotte to join up with the German monitors unit near Danzig, you might conceivably block one or more of the river crossings in northern Poland. This could be a big deal in terms of constricting Russian movement.

And what of the forts that are in land zones with navigable rivers? Would they shoot at enemy naval units on rivers? Would land formations entrenched with artillery do the same, again a la ACW?

Anyone have any answers to the above?

timolang63
Conscript

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:58 am

I haven't tried the Austrian monitors yet. I tried something similar with German riverine forces on the Vistula -- to no effect -- but I may not have had 8 elements.

Merlin
General

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:24 am

It's a port from CW2, since I was able to establish that you could MTSG across a blockaded river region which you could then not retreat across. Other than the Austrian river [s]monsters[/s] monitors, it shouldn't be much of an issue in EAW.

Merlin
General

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:30 am

elxaime wrote:Does this mean that naval units can block enemy land units from crossing a river if they possess the required elements, a la ACW2?

Yes.

This may be somewhat moot, since the most applicable use would be the four Austro-Hungarian monitors of the Donau Division to operate on the Sava River to prevent the Serbs from crossing. However the tooltip says you need eight elements and it isn't clear that even if you had eight it would do the trick to block crossing, e.g. to Peterwardein, since the river zones bisect the relevant land zones.

It's based on the number of elements vs. the number required, though I don't know the formula. So at a guess, having four combat elements in the river region should give you a rough 50% blocking chance.

However, in Prussia/Poland, if you send light units from the Hochseeflotte to join up with the German monitors unit near Danzig, you might conceivably block one or more of the river crossings in northern Poland. This could be a big deal in terms of constricting Russian movement.

I'd have to check, but I don't think most ocean-going naval units have sufficiently shallow draft to accomplish this. Maybe torpedo boats could?

And what of the forts that are in land zones with navigable rivers? Would they shoot at enemy naval units on rivers? Would land formations entrenched with artillery do the same, again a la ACW?

Yes. The rules haven't changed in that regard, though you'd have to trigger DAR to bombard.

Projekt Pasha
Sergeant

Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:12 am

Your harbor battleships can :)
Current Russian player in the third Paradox OT Forums Mass AAR.

Former Ottoman Player in the first Paradox Forums TEAW Mass Multiplayer AAR. Victor of Tripoli, Tyr, and Xanthi. Defender of the Holy Cities of Jerusalem, Mecca, and Medinah. Conqueror of Kuwait and Kitchener. Bane of the British and Sword of the House of Osman.

Militant confederate in my spare time. :neener:

Return to “To End All Wars”