elxaime
General

Britain Celebrates 200th Anniversary of Burning of U.S. White House

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm

I am sure this Tweet seemed a good idea at the time.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/08/british-embassy-celebrates-burning-the-white-house-200-years-ago-apologizes/

I have found Canadians generally take more glee in the topic than Britons. Probably because the White House burning was in revenge for the earlier burning of Toronto.

Moriety
Major

Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:41 am

I'm sure it seemed funny but nobody gets our sense of British humour.
For you miserable non-British people who just don't get our understated sense of humour this was us taking the piss out of our past governments, acting in a way we'd never allow now, but laughing at the cheek past governments that Britain once had, and actually believed was right.

Reading about past government behaviour always makes my jaw drop, including WWI, the most stupid war in history that destroyed the flower of European youth.
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:33 pm

+ 1 :wacko:
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Moriety
Major

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:41 am

Merci Fenrus,

I will remain astonished to my grave as to why this pointless war killed so many of our ancestors.

You may have thought that if ANY lesson was to be leant then, then WWI was it, but no, still governments, as usual via media, go on pushing us.

Thus ever was sadly.
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”