Conrad6787
Private

Mexican-American War

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:09 am

Any hope for a Mexican-American War DLC? Would buy it on day one if you guys cranked one out, rare topic for a game and would make a great expansion using the Civil War II engine.

Union Bear
Conscript

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Mexico stood no chance. Didn't have the money to field a large army nor the resources to stand up to the US. Would be about 5-10 turns of US troops making a beeline to Mexico City.

havi
Colonel

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 pm

i think they said same thing about CSA not a change only took 4 years to brake them, they said that same to finnish vs soviet war and they never conquered us. so why not DLC of us-mexican war? would be fun ;)

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:38 am

The map doesn't really cover the whole theatre, unfortunately. I'd think that would put it out of reach of being a DLC.
It's not a terrible idea, though.

Still, Union bear has a point. There wasn't much actual warfare involved; more of a creeping occupation followed by an eventual political breakdown on the part of the Mexicans. The US only lost something like 2,000 casualties to actual combat (the rest being disease casualties, mostly). The French intervention in 1862 seems to have seen more actual combat.

pgr
General of the Army

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:46 am

Union Bear wrote:Mexico stood no chance. Didn't have the money to field a large army nor the resources to stand up to the US. Would be about 5-10 turns of US troops making a beeline to Mexico City.

Oh things were a bit more even matched than you would expect. Regular forces of both sides were roughly the same at the start, and they both fielded approximately the same number of volunteer troops.

As for the map, everything you would need is there. The main focus would be on Scott's Veracruz expedition and Taylor's fighting along the Rio Grande. I think it would make for an interesting little campaign.

samba_liten
Sergeant

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:07 am

I'd buy this. If nothing else, it would be fun to see all the civil war generals working together!

havi
Colonel

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21 am

Hey I'm not expert of Mexican vs us. But is this the war when Texas joined to the us?

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:56 pm

pgr wrote:As for the map, everything you would need is there. The main focus would be on Scott's Veracruz expedition and Taylor's fighting along the Rio Grande. I think it would make for an interesting little campaign.

One of the things that kicked it off was "whats-his-name" screwing around with a militia force in Baja California, wasn't it?
...Maybe I'm mixing things up.

Anyway, the problem with the Mex-Amer war, from a wargaming perspective, is that the Mexican's just didn't really fight. They were simply too disorganized.

@havi: Texas entering the Union is sort of what started the war. They'd already revolted like 10 years earlier, but the border was never really settled (in the eyes of the Mexicans, at least). So, when Texas entered the Union with a border on the Rio Grande (instead of the Nueces river, or whatever it's called), that's what pissed the Mexicans off.

bob.
General

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Even if the Mexican army has to be made more organized than it really was, I still think this would make for a great DLC for this game. Especially, as pgr said, as the map is already fully there!

I don't think Mexico having no big chance is such a big problem. In AJE for example there are lots of scenarios where one side is a lot worse than the other. Fighting for survival can be fun as well!

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Sibley is almost unwinnable for the CSA but is still a very cool scenario. I don't know if the Mexican War constitutes a DLC of its own, but combined with the Texas Revolution and a couple of Plains War (Indian Wars) scenarios, it would totally be worth it!

bob.
General

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 pm

ArmChairGeneral wrote:Sibley is almost unwinnable for the CSA but is still a very cool scenario. I don't know if the Mexican War constitutes a DLC of its own, but combined with the Texas Revolution and a couple of Plains War (Indian Wars) scenarios, it would totally be worth it!

Yeah, that would be a great expansion pack!
Also, would the French intervention in Mexico make for a good scenario?

Conrad6787
Private

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm

Well the forces of Mexico in French Intervention stood at close to 70,000 while forces of the french at 38,493+20,285 of troops loyal to Emperor Maximillian. Also, I think the Mexican-American War scenario would go well along with the current map as most of the fighting happened in the locations which the current CWII map already represents. No need to make this more difficult than it already is, maybe add some region boxes if needed.

Conrad6787
Private

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm

bob. wrote:Even if the Mexican army has to be made more organized than it really was, I still think this would make for a great DLC for this game. Especially, as pgr said, as the map is already fully there!

I don't think Mexico having no big chance is such a big problem. In AJE for example there are lots of scenarios where one side is a lot worse than the other. Fighting for survival can be fun as well!

Exactly, Bob one side always needs to be weaker to give a better challenge. In Espana playing the Republicans is even better as you will not win in 20 turns and actually have more fun playing as the weaker side.

Return to “Civil War II”