Templer
General

The AGEOD Masterpiece

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:41 pm

I own the most AGEOD titles.
I like AGEOD because of the WEGO system, because of the great ideas and also because the most beautiful artwork.

As long as I know AGEOD, and as far as I can tell, I say now, To End End All Wars is the AGOED masterpiece!

Someone who is enthusiastic about the American Civil War, may not share my opinion.
Interests and tastes are still too different.

And someone is striving for world domination will maybe prefer AGEOD (theoretically fantastic) Pride of Nations.
But when it comes primer to strategy, I would imagine that many shares my opinion.

I hope and wish very much that To End End All Wars remain committed developed and maintained.
There is still something to do. :eyebrow:
Greetings
Templer

Kensai

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:49 pm

It is very good because it had much stuff nailed perfectly right from the start. Of course there are some issues and bugs to fix, but overly it was a very nice release. Can't wait for the team to disclose how it is selling so far. :)
Pride of Nations is still the best there is though, at least in overall scope. If you think about it, PON includes both CW2 and EAW in it! :p
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

bob.
General

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:49 pm

To End All Wars is the game that I am a lot more interested about, that is for sure. As someone from Europe The Great War has always had a lot of fascination to me.

That said, you do notice that Civil War 2 has been out for over a year already now. The game has been improved a lot by all the patches since then. I am certain TEAW will receive the same treatment and then it will end up to be even better!

Never really gotten into Pride of Nations.

Ganbatte
Sergeant

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:53 pm

A really with a lot of love designed game.
I like it as well.
I am sure that To End End All Wars remain committed developed and maintained.
It play very many people also more able to contribute ideas in the forum.
A beautiful thing what you can learn and contribute here even further.
Together they developed further.

Regards

Michael

Bodhis
Corporal

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Well said.

Merlin
General

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:44 pm

This has been a very solid release. I'm certain all will be well in our little wars once AGEOD takes away Athena's celebratory champagne. :D

Highlandcharge

Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:30 pm

+1 very good game and release, not many strategy games are playable like EAW straight after release :)

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:47 pm

This definitely is AGEOD's most polished release and is a very good game overall. The AI still needs serious work, though - that's the one area where CW2 was better on release. They're working on it.

DrPostman

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:05 pm

The devs put a lot of heart and soul into this one, and still are. It was a lot of fun
to test and a privilege to work with these guys.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Templer
General

The AGEOD Way

Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:55 pm

What is also very well done again: AGEOD takes care of the different cultural architecture.
So cities in Europe looks totally different than in Africa or Turkey.

Yes, that's the AGEOD way, and that's the way it should be! ;)
Greetings

Templer

Reiryc

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:49 am

Templer wrote:I own the most AGEOD titles.
I like AGEOD because of the WEGO system, because of the great ideas and also because the most beautiful artwork.

As long as I know AGEOD, and as far as I can tell, I say now, To End End All Wars is the AGOED masterpiece!

Someone who is enthusiastic about the American Civil War, may not share my opinion.
Interests and tastes are still too different.

And someone is striving for world domination will maybe prefer AGEOD (theoretically fantastic) Pride of Nations.
But when it comes primer to strategy, I would imagine that many shares my opinion.

I hope and wish very much that To End End All Wars remain committed developed and maintained.
There is still something to do. :eyebrow:

You may very well be right.

I'm partial to the birth of america as the first ageod game or at least the first game I was introduced to from the company. I loved and still love that game. I can still, even after not playing it for many years now, hum the theme song to myself without missing a beat.

The next game that really caught me was the first civil war game... aacw. Played that one for years and still do on occasion as I haven't gotten the second one yet.

This one is definetly one of the best though and ranks up there with the other 2 I mentioned.

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:54 am

Reiryc wrote:I'm partial to the birth of america as the first ageod game or at least the first game I was introduced to from the company. I loved and still love that game. I can still, even after not playing it for many years now, hum the theme song to myself without missing a beat.

I started with BoA too. It's one of the best games ever made. I still play and enjoy it.

Reiryc

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:03 am

fred zeppelin wrote:I started with BoA too. It's one of the best games ever made. I still play and enjoy it.

Did you get WIA or just stick with boa?

I moved on to wia and enjoy it very much.

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:06 am

Reiryc wrote:Did you get WIA or just stick with boa?

I moved on to wia and enjoy it very much.

WIA too. I play it today, but BOA was really a ground-breaking game in its day.

Reiryc

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:24 am

fred zeppelin wrote:WIA too. I play it today, but BOA was really a ground-breaking game in its day.

Yes it was... ahh... now I want to play it =)

Just picked up pon a couple day ago, so that's what's occupying my non-eaw time.

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:35 am

Reiryc wrote:Yes it was... ahh... now I want to play it =)

Just picked up pon a couple day ago, so that's what's occupying my non-eaw time.

Good luck with PON. The turn times, coupled with the sheer number of turns, ultimately did me in on that game. But it is the game I most want to be able to sit down and play again some day. It's a brilliant game.

Reiryc

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:40 am

fred zeppelin wrote:Good luck with PON. The turn times, coupled with the sheer number of turns, ultimately did me in on that game. But it is the game I most want to be able to sit down and play again some day. It's a brilliant game.

I'm lost lol... i thought, i'll just fire it up and figure it out. Nope. So now its manual time!

oddly enough, I was a beta tester for it when it was vainglory of nations, but family issues arose and i took a break from games/forums altogether.

HerrDan

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:51 am

This game is indeed a Magnum Opus, AGEOD never fails to amaze me and it was an honour to be part of the beta team and it is still. I'm very proud of my participation in the beta tests and of many of the other members of the team. I have to say though, that PON is also in the same level for me, as it potentially could include, like Kensai's said, both CWII and EAW in it. But surely PoN isn't for the feint of heart haha, it's a great commitment to play PON (I'd say it requires more of my time than my late gf used to haha), but it's surely a rewarding experience. So all in all, I couldn't decide between the two, I love both and AGEOD above all.

Cheers my children,
Herr Daniel.
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

caranorn

Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:03 am

I'd say that to me too BoA and WiA (as it's sucessor) are the best Ageod titles, probably because they were so revolutionary, also because they have a higher replayability factor for me (require less time to re-learn how to play)...
Marc aka Caran...

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:10 am

For me the AJE series had more qualities. The unit building was just as easy, the campaigns were fluid and full of action, and the complicated cohesion-combat power-morale-commander ratings number jumble didn't seem to be as overwhelming. TEAW is obviously a tweaked version of the ACW II engine. TEAW has a lot going for it, but it needs some work, but to me most importantly, the AGE engine is just tired and old. Ageod really needs to design a new engine from the ground up. They've made a lot of games using this engine, but it's getting old and it shows. The interactivity, system resource usage, animation, scripting, it's all bogged down in this huge errata board of headache inducing text boxes and laggy map scrolls.

Another reason I think AJE series is better is because the conflict scenarios are more defined and localized. TEAW creates a world war game with multiple scenarios. You can tell the scope of this game is pushing the engine to its limits. Again, another reason to build a new engine. I hear from players on other boards, even hardcore grognards, that the ageod engine is just too technical for them to grasp or enjoy. When hardcore grognards are criticizing you for throwing in too much data overload, you might want to take a look at what's under the hood.

So, masterpiece? Not in my opinion. It's good, and it could become really good with patches, but the greater problems of Ageod games are only amplified by TEAW, not solved.

Shri

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:29 am

There are several things that clicked for TEAW-

The WAR itself is one of the reasons as is the 100th anniversary.
WW1 Gold developed by PhilThib & Calvinus though a somewhat different game, does deserve part of the total credit as the MAP, OOB, Naval War, War Plans etc is partially inspired from WW1 Gold- i am sure the DEVS will agree with me here. Even the concepts of NM and ammo were partly from it.
Of course, the DEVS created a very good - OOB for the game and several concepts were vastly improved.
It was a pleasure being part of the BETA team. Some new proposals have been posted by the BETAS after the release, so shortly the first official patch may come which will sort out many of the issues about which people in the forum complain about.

vonRocko
Colonel

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:07 pm

The game has potential, but "Masterpiece"? It got a long way to go.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:15 pm

Too early to call this a masterpiece, but it has enormous potential. If the AI problems are fixed, and they will be, it will be a great game.

But It cannot compare with Agepds true masterpiece, PON, even though PON needs more work. True, PON has quite a learning curve, and the time between turns can be frustrating, though a better system really helps with this. But once you go beyond learning PON, to understanding it, it has a depth and immersion that no other game comes close to providing. I never tire of playing it, and I keep learning more from it.

Templer
General

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:23 pm

vonRocko wrote:The game has potential, but "Masterpiece"? It got a long way to go.

Depending on personal preferences, there are other games out there that perhaps are more beautiful, perhaps better, perhaps...

But the topic is on the AGEOD masterpiece.
Greetings

Templer

Templer
General

My Favorite AGEOD Game

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:11 am

The more I deal with it, the better I like it.

I may fight in my country (Germany).
I have air war and U-Boots (However, both disappointing implemented :( ).

In my view, however, there is still much to do!

Nevertheless, the bottom line
For me, my favorite AGEOD game.
Greetings

Templer

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:07 pm

do love a good 'favourite game' thread. Agree this one was great on release but its not yet got under my skin in the way that some others do ... but then I find its when I shift from vs AI to PBEM that I seem to make the mental transition from finidng the game interesting to being immersed.

Must confess, I still have a very soft spot for Rise of Prussia, something about the elegance and scope makes it something I return to time after time

... oh and Pride of Nations .. :)

Reiryc wrote:I'm lost lol... i thought, i'll just fire it up and figure it out. Nope. So now its manual time!

oddly enough, I was a beta tester for it when it was vainglory of nations, but family issues arose and i took a break from games/forums altogether.

as a shameless plug ... you may find 'Manufacturing Italy' of some help
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Person of Interest

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Yeah I also really like ROP followed closely by AJE. Some of my favorite eras for war gamming.

Reiryc

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:56 pm

loki100 wrote:as a shameless plug ... you may find 'Manufacturing Italy' of some help

I did and it made it so I figured out the game... !

It's a great aar of sorts. :thumbsup:

Tibetan Monk
Conscript

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:03 pm

This is my favorite ageod game aswell. Then again, it's my first ageod game. :neener: Great game though. I love it. I will definitely get CWII sometime aswell.

Švejk
Conscript

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:46 am

I would say that the reason why it is such a good game is because the Great War setting works very well with the engine.

Return to “To End All Wars”