willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Why do my **'s have 24 command points???

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Playing as WE, it seems a great many of my **'s in France, but not so much the one's in Africa, have 24 command points.

I think the manual shows *=24, **=36, ***=48 if in chain of command, half value if not.

I thought the manual also states that corps are always independent commands...

Confused about any and all of this :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Capybara
Conscript

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:05 pm

I think the "must be in chain of command" for corps is just a leftover from ACW 2 were corps are the equivalent of armies in TEAW. My corps, where ever they are, give always 24 command points, which is nice since one corp=12 CP.
My typical corp is thus two corsp stack together, which is very efficient and simple to handle.
One army (*** general) can handle 4 corps (48 CP) plus some heavy artillery if you give it some CP bonus units like transmission and such.
I think it makes for nice standardized armies and corps.

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Capybara wrote:... My corps, where ever they are, give always 24 command points, which is nice since one corp=12 CP.
My typical corp is thus two corsp stack together, which is very efficient and simple to handle.
One army (*** general) can handle 4 corps (48 CP) plus some heavy artillery if you give it some CP bonus units like transmission and such.
I think it makes for nice standardized armies and corps.

Yes, I looked again, and the only generals who are out of the chain of command, seem to be ***'s who have never been made into armies.

Even ***'s that are armies, but out of the GHQ command radius are in command control. So the command radius of the GHQ is irrelevant except for making armies (isn't that a little weird?)??

As you note, the standard model seems indeed to be 4 corps (of 2 inf. + 2 arty) + CP bonus for more arty. It's a far cry from the diversity of CW2.

Merlin
General

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:47 pm

The GHQ command radius is necessary for certain traits, among other things.

Swotoro

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:43 pm

As well as bonuses to combat.

Altaris

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:42 am

The Command Points given are:

* 24 CP
** 48 CP
*** 48 CP

If not attached to GHQ (only *** generals can be attached to a GHQ) then the value given is halved. So a ** will give 24 CP if it is in charge of the stack. This was done to allow ** generals the ability to lead 2 corps worth of troops (normally, one representing the "active" corps, and the other the "reserve" corps).

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:32 am

Altaris wrote:The Command Points given are:

* 24 CP
** 48 CP
*** 48 CP

If not attached to GHQ (only *** generals can be attached to a GHQ) then the value given is halved. So a ** will give 24 CP if it is in charge of the stack. This was done to allow ** generals the ability to lead 2 corps worth of troops (normally, one representing the "active" corps, and the other the "reserve" corps).

This just keeps getting better and better... the old Abbot and Costello Who's on First routine comes to mind :wacko:

So "Chain of Command" applies only to ***'s and, in practice, the CP values really are:

* 12 CP
** 24 CP
*** 24 CP, unless "in command" then 48CP.

Command radius, OTOH, having nothing to do with being in/out of Chain of Command, applies to being able to make an Army out of a ***, certain combat traits and/or bonuses.

How am I doing? :w00t:

Return to “To End All Wars”