lkjggfs
Conscript

Updates?

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Are there any updates coming soon? I'd asked this on the Steam forum with no response. I don't mean to sound impatient; I'm just the kind of guy who likes to play the most recent version and I prefer to wait if there is a confirmed patch coming.

The Red Baron

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:34 am

Pocus recently stated that AGEOD can't spare a developer to update PoN until sometime in the fall. I assume AGEOD's very busy with EAW.

lkjggfs
Conscript

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:00 am

Ok. In that case, I have another two questions. One being, is 1.04 good or should I roll back to 1.03e? And if I should rollback, how would I on Steam?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:42 am

lkjggfs wrote:Ok. In that case, I have another two questions. One being, is 1.04 good or should I roll back to 1.03e? And if I should rollback, how would I on Steam?

1.04 really improves some critical stuff such as how the AI plays the colonial game but it has two problems that most people see as game breaking. One is what is known as the 'immortal garrison bug' where the intrinsic garrison respawns each combat round so you can never take a fort. The other is it has introduced a long lag into using the key economic screens of F4 and the 'B' screen.

On that basis, I think most people have reverted to 1.03 for now. How you do that on steam, I'm not sure, but one option may be to copy the game to a non-steam controlled folder and simply apply the 1.03e patch (this will undo any 1.04 changes).

There is development work ongoing, but its all by players. The idea being to identify what needs fixing so that any time AGEOD can spare is then used to best effect. I've done some work on a couple of the long event chains (Italian unification and WW1 triggers) to make them work as intended. These and other revised or additional events can be found in this thread.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

HerrDan

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:59 am

Hi Loki! :w00t: Nice to see you around!

By the way, why haven't you applied for the beta testing of EAW?
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Pocus

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:25 am

What would be also a boon to PON (in addition to this hotfix we will try to slip asap) is a community based mod with fixes for the data and events. Instead of several separate proposed fixes and edits there and there. There are a few leading players here that are good at modding and seem to stick with PON since a lot of time, so why not moving one step further? :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lkjggfs
Conscript

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Also, a another question; are there any nations that are "broken"? Like, I'd like to do a complete playthrough of Prussia, but are there any game breaking bugs for Prussia or any other of the major powers?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 pm

lkjggfs wrote:Also, a another question; are there any nations that are "broken"? Like, I'd like to do a complete playthrough of Prussia, but are there any game breaking bugs for Prussia or any other of the major powers?

No, there are niggly issues with a number of powers, especially around the unification chains for Germany and Italy, but they tend to trip up the AI not a player. Its for this reason that some players (HerrDan is one) tend to see the 1880 scenario as better as those events are out of the way.

France and the USA are tricky in the early period as both have a lot of hard wired domestic unrest - if you are not used to managing dissent, this can be frustrating as you put in a lot of work merely to stand still, but that is WAD, not a bug.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

HerrDan

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:28 am

loki100 wrote:No, there are niggly issues with a number of powers, especially around the unification chains for Germany and Italy, but they tend to trip up the AI not a player. Its for this reason that some players (HerrDan is one) tend to see the 1880 scenario as better as those events are out of the way.

France and the USA are tricky in the early period as both have a lot of hard wired domestic unrest - if you are not used to managing dissent, this can be frustrating as you put in a lot of work merely to stand still, but that is WAD, not a bug.

Oh yeah the 1880 start is a must in PoN, it's simply the best game experience you can get of the period covered, as Loki said you're already past those events and ready for the Scramble for Afrika! As well as the political disputes, as the world gets divided into powerful alliances and also the glorious arms race!

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Sigma
Conscript

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:25 am

The Red Baron wrote:Pocus recently stated that AGEOD can't spare a developer to update PoN until sometime in the fall. I assume AGEOD's very busy with EAW.

Well they have EAW, plus they seem to be working a bit on The Civil War II, España 1936 and Alea Jacta Est. They also seem to be still supporting not only PoN but also RUS. Having their plate full is an understatement, they will be busy for quite some time I believe.

The Red Baron

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:27 am

True! EAW is only one of many, but I have a feeling a new product launch probably commands the lion's share of their time at the moment.

Bodhis
Corporal

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Where can I get 1.03e from? I have a gamersgate-version and I guess they do not offer anymore updates to this game.

Edit: Found it

HerrDan

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:45 pm

Great to know that you found it. :)

Return to “Pride of Nations”