Person of Interest

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:14 am

Yep no better option than to attempt a battle of annihilation at Taurasia. Destroy the Roman armies and take the towns at your leisure. What a horrible run of fortune for Hannibal. I am quite impressed with the AI so far. The advance on Taurasia was bold and could be a major problem for Hannibal. Can't wait to see how this turns out. I also agree, a human pbem opponent will make life a living hell for Hannibal most of the time. Now where is the release announcement! :wacko:

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:53 am

There are two reasons that explain why Hannibal won't attack Taurasia:

. Moving to Taurasia is almost a month trip (bad weather, heavy raining) so his troops will arrive exhausted and with low cohesion.
. There are 4 supply wagons in Mediolanum. Their capture will improve significantly the logistics of his Army.

Vincentius
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:11 am

How did you success to abandon the siege of Placentia ? I'm not be able to abandon any siege, simply the army always remains there.
Italian videogamer (I love strategy games) :thumbsup:

Parcere subiectis et debellare superbos.
Os stulti contritio eius.
Hoc unum scio, me nihil scire.
Alea iacta est.
Mens sana in corpore sano.
Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi ?

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:01 am

Vincentius wrote:How did you success to abandon the siege of Placentia ? I'm not be able to abandon any siege, simply the army always remains there.

Maybe because you're blocked there (red regions, Placentia blocks the movement to some provinces around it) and have any "friend province" close to the city. If you capture some provincies around, Mutina for example, you should be able to move without problems. ¿You cannot move even to Mutina, which should be yours by boii event? It's weird.

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:02 am

[color="#FFFF00"]October & November 217 B.C.[/color]

October 217 B.C.

Pretor Lucius Manlius Vulso captures Taurasia by assault annihilating the city garrison troops and the Iberian unit (4,000 casualties).

Two Carthaginian impedimenta wagons plenty of supplies are captured by the Romans as well.

Hannibal assaults Mediolanum causing 3,500 casualties and capturing four impedimenta units full of supplies. This compensates the loss of the 2 supply wagons in Taurasia.

This is the situation.

It is as if the roles of Carthaginians & Romans had switched because now the Romans are "imprisoned" in the west with the Alps behind while the Carthaginians are now blocking their way. Weather has worsened and moving directly towards Taurasia with Hannibal’s army would be almost a 50 days trip (heavy rain). The movement that could be done in about 15-18 days now is triple that amount, so Hannibal will move closer to Taurasia and will rest at least a few days before attacking the city and the Roman army.

Hannibal must retake Taurasia, not only because it is a strategic city but because he cannot leave a Roman force behind of 30,000 men. The Iberian cavalry unit is doing and scouting task around Taurasia. With 30,000 men trapped there the Romans are now in a difficult position because sooner or later they will have to deal with Hannibal and with serious logistic problems.

Notice that in Mutina the boii are also expanding the supply depot because the region by itself does not give enough supplies to feed them.

Situation with the supply filter on.

A depot is built in Mediolanum as Hannibal move to the west. He is spending a lot of turns moving here and there but nobody said it would be easy. The 30,000 Romans in Taurasia already seem to have logistic problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 217 B.C.

A new event for which the Gauls claim what is theirs. Gallic warriors take back regions captured by Carthaginians or Romans.

The provinces of Tolosa, Sardones, Iliberis, Eburomagus, Arecomicii, Elusio, Albigia, Anderitum, Segodunum, Vindomagus, Helvii, Ucetia, Acunum, Maturonium, Alpes Maritimae, Dinia, Alaunium, Apta, Arausio, Valentia, Brigantio, Alabon, Cularo, Axima y Octodurum are back under Gallic control by event.

Most are uninhabited regions but some have cities like Cularo in the Western Alps. Most are in the Galia Narbonensis and around Massalia, forested and savage ones.

Another event: revenues of +250 denarii.

In Cisalpine Gaul is raining heavy and moving cost a lot of days.

Hannibal won’t move to Taurasia and instead will rest in Clastidium while the Iberian cavalry detachment will go to Mediolanum to garrison it. What is surprising are the news that some 20,000-25,000 Romans have left Taurasia and have crossed the Alps to the west! It's a risky move but it is the easiest way to avoid Hannibal army. The Romans have left only I legion and some auxiliary troops under command of Praetor Marcus Aemilius, probably about 8,000 men. The Romans also have destroyed the level 4 depot in the city which is clearly an intentional action in order to hinder Hannibal’s army logistic. The boii will detach a cavalry unit to take the wooded province north of Mutina in order to contact by land with the city of Mediolanum.

Supply filter on.

Hannibal is still between 15-25% of supply reserves but his situation has improved somewhat thanks to the 4 supply wagons captured in the previous turn although 2 were left in Mediolanum in order to build and expand a supply depot there.

The recruitment of new units is growing as you can see below.

VPs.

Vincentius
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:19 am

Haplo_Patryn wrote:Maybe because you're blocked there (red regions, Placentia blocks the movement to some provinces around it) and have any "friend province" close to the city. If you capture some provincies around, Mutina for example, you should be able to move without problems. ¿You cannot move even to Mutina, which should be yours by boii event? It's weird.

What posture I have to use to move ?
Italian videogamer (I love strategy games) :thumbsup:

Parcere subiectis et debellare superbos.

Os stulti contritio eius.

Hoc unum scio, me nihil scire.

Alea iacta est.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi ?

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Vincentius wrote:What posture I have to use to move ?

The posture doesn’t matter, what matters is if you control one or more provinces around the city. Placentia blocks whatever movement you are trying to make to another Roman controlled province so you should have taken control of one or more provincies around Placentia before in order to abandon the siege. If you don't have any then you have to take Placentia or you wont' be able to move never.

Person of Interest

Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Very dangerous situation for Carthage it seems. I fear that the Romans are using this time to build a very large force in Rome. Would really like to see the Roman deployment and force structure.

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:50 pm

[color="#FFFF00"]December 217 B.C. & January 216 B.C.[/color]

December 217 B.C.

Not a good end of year: bad trade relations in northern Africa.

Hard Winter has come to Cisalpine Gaul.

Except some troops adjustments all the forces hold their positions, expanding supply depots and resting until spring comes in order to renew the campaign in this province. Hannibal supplies reserve has improved and is now above 50%. Depots are improving the Carthaginian logistics and capturing Mediolanum has significantly helped Hannibal’s army.

In the other fronts all goes without relevant news but the ilergetes army, after many months besieging unsuccessfully Cissa, decided to assault the city.

Carthaginians should scout better northeastern Hispania to have a clearer picture of what the Romans have in Emporiae. Moving one or two Iberian cavalry units would improve the detection values and gather more data about the enemy.

VPs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 216 B.C.

Successful assault of Cissa by the ilergetes.

Almost 20,000 enemy men were defending the town although the vast majority were Roman Fleet sailors, not combat infantry. The local garrison have been totally destroyed suffering nearly 5,000 casualties but some Iberians allied troops have embarked with the fleeing Roman fleet to fight another day. The Romans can recruit some Hispanic troops in northeastern Hispania, by the way.

Hispania seems not fitted for the Romans, not yet. The Carthaginians are comfortable and feel strong in this province where they have been fighting for years because they know it better and have better infrastructures. Cornered in Emporiae the Romans will have very difficult times to come and what happened in this turn is just a little proof.

Cisalpine Gaul situation.

The Romans move from Taurasia and surprisingly sneak into Carthaginian territory avoiding any contact with the Carthaginian troops in Clastidium. Probably the Roman army is moving towards Felsina where the army of the consul Gaius Flaminius Nepos is quartered or it might be moving to Placentia alternatively. This means that Taurasia is weakly defended so Hannibal will detach an Iberian cavalry unit to find out how many troops are there while he tries to ambush the sneaky Praetor army. The Romans have been able to play very well and they’re surprisingly outmanoeuvring Hannibal every turn. They managed to evacuate 30,000 men without fighting, some crossing through the Alps and the rest moving through enemy territory avoiding any military contact. Surely they have suffered heavy attrition losses but that is much better than dying in combat or being captured.

VPs.

numahr
Sergeant

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:09 pm

In the force comparison, I see that your land forces are more than the Roman ones for the first time: time to cash in and dominate the battlefield! We want a nice Hannibal-style battle with Roman blood on Roman soil! But I see that your opponent keeps this goal as a far away fantasy.

However, after a good initial start, I see that you are not making any more progress on the naval race. Are you still building navies? Or maybe you have other priorities or limited resources ?

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:44 pm

numahr wrote:In the force comparison, I see that your land forces are more than the Roman ones for the first time: time to cash in and dominate the battlefield! We want a nice Hannibal-style battle with Roman blood on Roman soil! But I see that your opponent keeps this goal as a far away fantasy.

However, after a good initial start, I see that you are not making any more progress on the naval race. Are you still building navies? Or maybe you have other priorities or limited resources ?

Romans are avoiding any contact with Hannibal for the moment and about your naval question, I'm recruiting fleets whenever I can but Romans can build more fleets than me (and they have some allied fleets as Massilia&Syracusae ones as well). No matter how many fleets I build, Roma will have always naval advantage.

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:01 am

[color="#FFFF00"]February & March 216 B.C.[/color]

February 216 B.C.

Carthaginians have the option to recruit a new Numidian cavalry unit.

The cost is high (100 denarii, some VPs, etc) but it’s worth it because Carthaginians earn one unit of the most powerful units of the scenario.

Situation in Cisalpine Gaul. Spring has come.

The Roman army evades Hannibal one and move inside the walls of Placentia to find shelter. The Carthaginians will now move to siege that city again while the Iberian cavalry unit at west will besiege Taurasia which is weakly defended.

The Carthaginian trade has been especially good (more income).

Hispania. Asdrubal will move towards Carthago Nova and Himilco will relieve him.

The Carthaginian fleet commanders want to have Hasdrubal’s army close because there are plans to send some of his troops to reinforce Hannibal in the near future.

Carthago.

As told before, there are plans to reinforce Hannibal with some of Hasdrubal men so in order to replace them and compensate him for sending these soldiers to his brother, the Carthaginian Senate will send more troops to Carthago Nova

VPs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marzo 217 A.C.

Cisalpine Gaul situation.

There have been some small adjustments of wagon supplies and little more. The strategy for this year is to successfully besiege Placentia surrendering it by hunger or attrition and recapture Taurasia in the same way but using only one cavalry unit because this city is weakly defended. Placentia must fall at all costs, is a city that cannot be isolated and left behind with a small troops detachment besieging it and much less with a Roman army inside of around 10.000 men that could make a sortie at any time and attack when Hannibal is far away.

Hispania. Roman Proconsul Scipio appears with his army northeast of Cissa with two legions and two Ala socii, in total about 24,000 men, similar in numbers to ilergetes army.

He is accompanied by another Proconsul and a Praetor. It is the first Roman army with a solid formation and strong leadership that the Carthaginians have seen to date.

There is an event indicating that an economic development in Africa has improved supplies output in one of the Carthaginian African cities.

It is time for big decisions. Something that Hannibal has been long requesting to the Carthaginian Senate is more reinforcements. Now that the logistic situation in Cisalpine Gaul have improved a lot, Hannibal need more men to push harder and in order to detach more garrisons and secondary forces without weakening his army dangerously. Hannibal now has about 40,000 men but there are just only 30,000 with him because the rest are in garrison duties.

The Carthaginian fleet leader has assembled a powerful fleet in Carthago Nova and will ship an army of 20,000 men, most Iberians reinforcements and Libyan heavy infantry units. These troops were from Hasdrubal army so he will lost 20,000 men but he will be compensated with the reinforcements that are going to be send here from Carthago. The weather is expected to be quite good and if there are no delays of any kind by the end of the month these reinforcements would have landed in the region of Liguria close to the city of Placentia. The fleet is instructed to avoid all combat and adopt a defensive posture in case the Romans try to intercept it.

At the same time a 2nd Carthaginian fleet will depart from Carthage with 14.000 reinforcements to Carthago Nova formed by 12,000 Libyan heavy infantry and 1,200 awesome Numidian riders in order to fill the gaps in Hasdrubal army.

Hasdrubal will lost about 6,000 men (20,000 send to Cisalpine Gaul and 14,000 about to come from Carthage to make up). Keep in mind that Himilco has an additional army of 20,000 men in Saguntum and both armies could be merged if they have to face a very serious threat in southeaster Hispania, or Himilco could send some troops to Hasdrubal instead. The point is that these 20,000 men send to Hannibal will increase his Army to 50,000 men in total and in Hispania there will be enough men to face any threat.

VPs.

Everything has been carefully planned but remains to be seen if the Romans want to "cooperate". And of course, they won’t. A sneaky Roman fleet awaits the Carthaginian fleet in Carthage waters laying an ambush.

The first naval battle of the 2nd Punic War is about to take place.

numahr
Sergeant

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:58 pm

The naval aspect is getting interesting as you almost achieved parity with the Romans, bringing them down from 500+ to just 125 in proportion of your own fleet. Naval dominance is not an unrealistic goal really.

Looking at your strategy makes me want to try something else. Instead of giving your navy this sneaky cargo role, almost like "smugglers", maybe your war navy could have first concentrated and tried to find and destroy enemy patrols to secure the sea lanes, and then only you would start sending cargo carrying troops around the Mediterranean. Of course this would delay reinforcements to Northern Italy. But Hannibal is not threatened of extermination and can wait a bit anyway. This would avoid fighting naval battles with smaller fleets. Plus, there is a symbolic dimension to it: vengeance from the 1st Punic War should come by first re-establishing Carthage's leadership on the seas! Well, I wonder if this would be a good approach really... One good reason to play the game myself soon ;)

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:49 am

[color="#FFFF00"]April & May 216 B.C.[/color]

April 216 B.C.

Publius Cornelius Scipio’s army attacks Cissa (Tarraco) but Indibilis holds the city.

Both forces were even but Romans suffers almost twice casualties. Both armies end the turn in the same region.

The Carthaginian fleet instructed to move from Carthage to Hispania with reinforcements is ambushed on the African coast by an enemy fleet (composed by Roman an Massalian ships)

The battle outcome is good, the Romans lose two triremes elements but the important thing is that Hasdrubal Calvus can move on and reaches the Hispania’s coast without more incidents.

Situation inCisalpine Gaul

The 20,000 Carthaginian reinforcements coming from Hispania land on the Ligurian coast smoothly as planned. Most of the troops will leave for Clastidium to the north to rest and regain their cohesion, battered by the long naval voyage, while a detachment of Iberian cavalry will move east to take the mountainous provinces of Liguria in order to isolate Placentia by land.

Now the Carthaginian fleet will return to Hispania but will make a first stop at Cissa as the weather has worsened and returning to Carthago Nova is more than a month trip. In Cissa the fleet could rest some days before moving again southwards.

It is a bit risky ordering the fleet to stop at Cissa as the city is being threatened at present by the Proconsular Roman army, but the recent victory of Indibilis against the Roman army gives confidence that ilergetes will withstand much longer and that the city will remain under Carthaginian control.

More Gallic volunteers (free Gallic replacements).

More troops are recruited in Carthage.

The massive naval movement executed in this turn takes its toll but luckily the Carthaginians had a good supply of naval replacements assembled thanks to the commercial ports and other random events.

VPs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 216 B.C.

Another combat in Cissa (Tarraco) and another ilergetes victory.

It was a tough fight but although casualties have been even the Romans have lost many more elements. In two turns in a row Romans have lost nearly 15,000 men for 10,000 ilergetes.
This situation now gives advantage to the Iberians, who are enjoying the defensive terrain bonus, are more rested, have a good defending skill leader and have better supply sources that allow the Iberian army to replace theirs losses faster.

But the most important event comes from Hispania. An Iberian tribe, the turdetaniis, don’t stand anymore the taxes and the exploitation of their lands by the Carthaginians and take arms against them.

The Carthaginians are accustomed to these revolts because they know this province very well from time ago and know that the Iberian tribes have never been submissive. This is the land where Hannibal's army has been fighting for years and where their men have been earning their wages with their blood. This is the first crisis the Carthaginians have to face.

Three cities come under turdetaniis control with the revolt.

The three rebel cities are rounded in the screenshot. There's a powerful army of about 20,000 men in Conistorgis but the most important city is Brutobriga that has a level 2 fortification. Carthaginians react moving Hasdrubal army with 40,000 men to Baecula in order to be closer to rebel territory.

Meanwhile in the northeast the situation is as follows.

It’s almost certain that will be another battle in Cissa in the next month . On the other hand Himilco will hold his army in Saguntum as a reserve for if necessary to come into action either against turdetaniis in southwestern Hispania or against the Romans in the northeast . His army now numbers about 30,000 men.

It is important to highlight the key role of the ilergetes army that is impeding the progress of the Roman army, blocking its path to southwestern Hispania. By stopping them the ilergetes allow the Carthaginians to deal with their internal affairs with confidence and without time pressures. By doing so, the Carthaginians can make plans to send reinforcements to Cisalpine Gaul or deal with the turdetaniis, for example, without being concerned about the Roman army in northeastern Hispania. That's why the Ilergetes are acting defensively, to safeguard the cohesion and structure of his army without suffering any serious setback that can open a free path to southwest for the Roman army. In Hispania the Carthaginians have to play with the idea of using this province to reinforce Hannibal recruiting Iberian troops, and playing “cat & mouse” when dealing with the Romans, distracting them and gaining precious time.

Cisalpine Gaul situation is as follows.

The Iberian cavalry will continue its journey to isolate Placentia while the supply depot in Mediolanum will be expanded. The arrival of 20,000 men in this turn will require better logistics but there are now 3 supply depots delivering a good outcome and the weather is good, so the logistic situation has improved a lot.

VPs.

PhilThib

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 am

Thrilling story...just surprised, why does Hannibal not move south, where the core of the enemy realm lies?

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:04 am

[color="#FFFF00"]June & July 216 B.C.[/color]

June 216 B.C

This is the third battle in a row in Tarraco and also the third ilergetes victory.

High casualties for both armies but the Romans are losing more elements and having more problems (they are accumulating fatigue and loses while ilergetes can replace the casualties faster and have better supply sources).

Meantime un southwestern Hispania things are getting hot with the revolt of the turdetaniis.

The rebel army has advanced towards the center of Hispania and besieges Cartala, which can be assaulted at any time. Meanwhile Asdrubal besieges Baecula but remains inactive and cannot storm the city in this turn...

EP event.

In the Cisalpine Gaul things have improved a lot and now Placentia is completely isolated by land.

The main supply depots are at full capacity and supply flows to feed the armies that are present in the area (55,000 men from Hannibal army and the 30,000 boiis).

Again the Carthaginians can sell prisoners.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 216 B.C

4th battle in a row in Tarraco and also the 4th ilergetes victory. The Romans are losing a lot of combat elements instead of retreating.

The Roman stubbornness is costing them expensive and the enemy army should retreat to Emporiae to rest if the Proconsul leader wants to fight another day.

The ilergetes army is blocking the Roman army and this is an important role because it allows the rest of Carthaginian forces in Hispania to deal with other issues like the turdetanii revolt without having to be aware of northeastern Hispania.

The ilergetes army captures many prisoners and the victories are increasing the Carthaginian NM.

The situation in Hispania against the turdetaniis is as follows.

Hasdrubal has again become inactive so Hanno Bomilcar will take command of this army for him, because he is not. Although he has a strong command penalty of 25% is a very unimportant detail for not assaulting the city of Baecula. The Carthaginians don’t want to waste more time waiting for nothing.

The siege on Placentia is beginning to take effect, the city garrison has suffered 15 hits and are losing combat value.

More EPs from an event.

VPs.

anjou
Lieutenant

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:59 pm

You're using snagit editor, correct? I really like your use of it.

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:04 am

Yes, I am.

Thanks for reading

gids
Civilian

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:49 pm

great AAR learned alot from it,i tried the "slow" approach to take every city along the way so rome landed on the shores of Carthago :p

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”