The Red Baron

How to Use Defensive Works RGD?

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:11 am

Last turn I captured Harper's Ferry. I left one BDE with 3 infantry regiments (2 EA Volunteers and 1 EA Light Inf) + a 2* to garrison the location. They are not besieged. According to the tooltip, I should be able to place a Defensive Works RGD but I can't. Anyone know why? At first I thought it might be because HF is only a level 2 town/city; however, I can't even use the Defensive Works RGD at Philadelphia, which is level 20 and has 2olunteer BDEs occupying the region.

minipol
General

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:41 am

If you hover over the card, isn't there extra info on why you can't use the card?
Not sure as I don't have the game open for the moment. Might have to do with loyalty or with money/war supplies that are needed as well?

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:43 am

IIRC, the Vols are typically Light Inf-Vol-Vol and can train up to LtInf-Inf-Inf. You just might need three regiments (i. e., elements, really) of Line Infantry. Strong possibility, even if not explicitly called for.

Yes, I know, strictly speaking, the Vols are not Militia, but...the back end can be a bit persnickety sometimes. Undocumented features, old chap.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

moni kerr
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:36 am

Regular infantry are required, not volunteers or conscripts.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:19 am

Regulars are required. Vols do not count, not sure if Light Inf count either.

moni kerr,
Conscripts don't count either?

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:22 am

Most probably not - he's usually correct on his details.

As distinguished from folks like me, who usually fly by the seat of their pants.

And if I may, let me expand - a fair number of folks ask questions and get concerned about the exact details of stuff. That's OK, that's part of what we do here. In my case, though, you see, I document applications (and many other things). I have to work with incomplete alpha versions, preliminary designs, sometimes even vaporware. If I'm documenting a UI, I run the app, run the app, run the app. It's how a tech writer works.

Someone near and dear once asked me, "I see when you get a new game, you never read the manual, you just plunge right in." I reminded her what I do & explained the point above. That's what I'm doing now with CW2.

And then, when I want to nail something down - well, guess who I turn to: you bums :)
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:40 am

re: conscripts
Wow, and I thought the rule was harsh when I realized I couldn't use a volunteer brigade!

GraniteStater,

Although I love the minutia and do like to know as best I can what is going on, I translate it internally into heuristics that guide my actual play. Stuff like: hang around depots, bring more force than the enemy, don't march around in the winter, don't waste a bunch of money on a navy, 6 lbers suck. No matter how much I learn about the actual numbers and mechanics there is too much going on to be able to actually predict, leaving a seat-of-the-pants approach as the most effective (only) way to actually play the game. This is not a game where min-maxing is practicable, but I am still going to spend hours trying to solve the puzzle with every detail I can get!

The Red Baron

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:33 pm

moni kerr wrote:Regular infantry are required, not volunteers or conscripts.

Verified. Wow, that's tough! What's the matter with Militia, Volunteers and Conscripts, I wonder? They can't shovel dirt as well as the Regular Army?

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:46 pm

ArmChairGeneral wrote:re: conscripts
Wow, and I thought the rule was harsh when I realized I couldn't use a volunteer brigade!

GraniteStater,

Although I love the minutia and do like to know as best I can what is going on, I translate it internally into heuristics that guide my actual play. Stuff like: hang around depots, bring more force than the enemy, don't march around in the winter, don't waste a bunch of money on a navy, 6 lbers suck. No matter how much I learn about the actual numbers and mechanics there is too much going on to be able to actually predict, leaving a seat-of-the-pants approach as the most effective (only) way to actually play the game. This is not a game where min-maxing is practicable, but I am still going to spend hours trying to solve the puzzle with every detail I can get!

Yup. You could give me every single algorithm as a printout & I'd probably find it under the newspaper pile three days later.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:31 pm

The Red Baron wrote:Verified. Wow, that's tough! What's the matter with Militia, Volunteers and Conscripts, I wonder? They can't shovel dirt as well as the Regular Army?

its more a case of them not understanding how to shovel dirt to effect. In effect regulars have a 'seen it before, know how to do it' mindset.

totally out of period but the Soviets had the same problem especially in 1941. Lots of defense lines were dug by militia and civilians. Problem was the layout was poor and the regular formations either had to redig or try to defend something that was indefensible.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Return to “Civil War II”