germanpeon
Private

WSU Issues as Nationalists

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 am

I'm not very far into the game, still in fall 1936, but I'm having severe issues generating enough WSU to cover the needs of the Nationalist army. I've yet to build any units beyond the options deploying African forces, and I don't imagine myself doing so anytime soon given the WSU constraint. I can't spare the WSU to create sufficient replacements for the artillery I start with and periodically gain as part of the African armies, let alone the massive WSU investment that getting the Italian armor I received recently into fighting shape would be. I imagine that any further armor I receive from the Italians or Germans will be useful only for as long as I can maintain their initial strength.

My fundamental concern is less that the Nationalists begin with resource issues and more that that this problem won't go away. Looking at the resource distribution on the map with the supply filter, WSU seems to be relatively rare compared to manpower or money, and (thus far) I lack the ability to requisition it through regional decisions in the same way I can for manpower or money. The Nationalists also seem to lack the options to create WSU producing factories that the Republicans possess. Given my current situation, the only scenario in which I can imagine that I will have enough WSU to cover my needs (being solely replacements and not unit construction) is one in which I control a large majority of Spain, at which point the game would likely soon be over.

Any solutions, theories, thoughts, etc. are more than welcome.

Durk

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:41 am

germanpeon wrote:I'm not very far into the game, still in fall 1936, but I'm having severe issues generating enough WSU to cover the needs of the Nationalist army. I've yet to build any units beyond the options deploying African forces, and I don't imagine myself doing so anytime soon given the WSU constraint. I can't spare the WSU to create sufficient replacements for the artillery I start with and periodically gain as part of the African armies, let alone the massive WSU investment that getting the Italian armor I received recently into fighting shape would be. I imagine that any further armor I receive from the Italians or Germans will be useful only for as long as I can maintain their initial strength.

My fundamental concern is less that the Nationalists begin with resource issues and more that that this problem won't go away. Looking at the resource distribution on the map with the supply filter, WSU seems to be relatively rare compared to manpower or money, and (thus far) I lack the ability to requisition it through regional decisions in the same way I can for manpower or money. The Nationalists also seem to lack the options to create WSU producing factories that the Republicans possess. Given my current situation, the only scenario in which I can imagine that I will have enough WSU to cover my needs (being solely replacements and not unit construction) is one in which I control a large majority of Spain, at which point the game would likely soon be over.

Any solutions, theories, thoughts, etc. are more than welcome.

You will get there. This game very accurately represents the confusion, weaknesses and needed building of both sides. Soon, you will begin to feel the safety of powerful allies.

Leibst

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:36 am

That problem is the same that faced the Nationalist.
In September 36 they took Toledo, there is a weapons factory.
In May 37 they took Eibar wapons factory in the Basque Country.
In July 37 they took Reinosa weapons factory...

Republicans have WSU but they are short in artillery.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

caranorn

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

In my current game I've managed to buy armour replacements every other turn in 1936 to get the italian tanquettes running, the alternate turns I buy some infantry replacements (but don't spend all WS). So to me it's working good enough for the time, and I haven't captured all the republican factories yet (or rather I lost one again after initial capture, but expect to secure it soon). The problem I expect to run into is to get the nationalist fleet back to sea (apparenty they found some republican artillery while on a shore bombardment mission :-( )...

Though it might be an idea to have an option (or RGD) to trade EP for WS, essentially an indirect way to gain italian and/or german replacements. But possibly such an option or RGD lready exists and I haven't seen it yet as I'm still 36 in my first game as the nationalists...
Marc aka Caran...

kongxinga
Private

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:41 am

There is just not enough WS for nats. Be prepared to never repair your damaged battleship till you have won already. The only extra arty you can build are the HQ units, but to eliminate the WSU issues build and maintain units with low WSU requirements since there is no way apart from capturing factories to increase your WSU. You can conscript for conscript, you can requisition money, you can propaganda for EP but nothing gives you wsu. Learn to love requetes.

Cavalry force pool is also low, only enough for 2 understrength cav divisions, and no tachankas and horse artillery in sight, although the italians eventually bring mobile troops and arty. Cavarly is expensive WSU wise, so it is probably for the better.

caranorn

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:50 am

Just capture the factories, isn't hard to do. Though they will produce less WS for the nationalists than for the republicans, but that makes sense (most workers will be pro republic). In my games as nationalists so far I haven't had any lasting trouble with WS. Yes, I can't make any inconsiderate spending, but if I plan ahead I can get my armour, armoured cars and artillery up to strength...

I'm not sure Spain even had the theoretical capacity to do serious repairs on a battleship during the CW, I'd be very astonished if they had the ability to build new turrets or gun barrels for those ships (repair them to a certain degree, but at some point you better not continue using a burned out barrel lest you wish to blow an entire turret off)...
Marc aka Caran...

elxaime
General

Mon May 12, 2014 1:48 pm

I am wondering about WSU. Historically I understand much of the Nationalists foreign support was material, but in game they seem limited to the amount they get domestically.

Leibst

Mon May 12, 2014 2:32 pm

In the game you have material in the form of Legion Condor, CTV, Tanks, 4 Italian destroyers and aerial support.
Do you feel it should me more options or RGD to bring more WS for the nationalists?
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

elxaime
General

Mon May 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Leibstandarte wrote:In the game you have material in the form of Legion Condor, CTV, Tanks, 4 Italian destroyers and aerial support.
Do you feel it should me more options or RGD to bring more WS for the nationalists?

After thinking it through, I admit I am a bit torn now. I may just not be playing the Nationalists right.

Do you still think you will have a new patch before June?

Leibst

Tue May 13, 2014 6:27 am

Sure, before June.

The issue with redeployment is real. Its not my intention that you can redeploy a combat unit where you want. But i still haven't find how to fix that.
I think is related with the later .exe files, and this is Pocus terrain.
HQ website

elxaime
General

Tue May 13, 2014 7:31 am

Thanks, looking forward to giving this another go with the new patch.

On redeployment, unless/until this gets fixed, should players use a house rule that only leaders can be redeployed?

Leibst

Tue May 13, 2014 9:02 am

Yes, imo. Or in a very limited way.
HQ website

elxaime
General

Tue May 13, 2014 7:45 pm

I think the way ACW works, it is just leaders that can "teleport" one per turn, so we will go that route until we hear otherwise. Not sure how Russian Civil War does it.

Return to “España 1936”