bkosar19
Sergeant

Naval Movement from a Besieged City?

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm playing as the Romans in the Cantabrian Wars scenario with the latest Beta Patch.

The Cantabrians have besieged Gades. The port is not blockaded. I want to move part of the garrison by sea to another town. I create a "fleet" by dragging the land units I want to transport onto the naval transport unit. I plot a move for that combined unit to another friendly port. I press the "Next Turn" button: my land units are immediately returned to the garrison and my fleet sails to the plotted destination without them. Working as designed?

Ebbingford

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:59 pm

I think you need to have the fleet (when the land force is aboard it) in at least "retreat when engaged posture".
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Soderini

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:28 am

Give the ships the "evade combat" order, that should do the trick.

Ebbingford

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:32 am

You also need to make sure that the unit you are trying to transport is not a locked or fixed unit.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

PJJ
Captain

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:25 pm

This is one of the most obscure movement rules in the whole series of games. Would it be very difficult to change it into something more logical?

bkosar19
Sergeant

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks for the responses and tips. Unfortunately, I already shelved that scenario as a lost cause. Anyway, I'll give them shot when I play again.

(That Cantabrian Wars scenario is a real bear for the Romans. By the time I said "No Mas" my NM was around 75 and the Cantabrians were around 147.)

PJJ
Captain

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:52 am

I think it's the most difficult scenario in the whole game for the Romans to win. They have terrible commanders and you can't avoid losing battles against the superior tribal forces. Each defeat costs NM, and pretty soon your troops will be quite useless.

As the barbarians, it's almost a walk in the park.

Return to “Help to improve AJE”