vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Gold Version for PON?

Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 pm

I was delighted to see the new expansion version for Rise of Prussia, which I will soon happily buy.

Can we dare to look forward to a similar update kit for PON? Please?

Pocus

Thu May 09, 2013 8:16 am

Not planned right now, as PON issue is too long processing turn and it would require a major effort to change that significantly.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Pocus wrote:Not planned right now, as PON issue is too long processing turn and it would require a major effort to change that significantly.

Ah, Pocus, you break my heart.

Many of us accept the turn processing time, because the rest of the game is so grand and beyond compare, and would love to see the kind of improvements that have been discussed on this forum, and more scenarios. We would happily pay to get them. Please consider this, I beg you.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 09, 2013 5:26 pm

totally agree ...
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Lemoni
Sergeant

Thu May 09, 2013 8:39 pm

totally agree...with vaalen

Pocus

Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 am

Many people are vocal about this problem, plus it is our belief that this was what prevented PON to be the overwhelming success it deserves ;)

So that would be weird to propose a PON gold without at least significant improvements on this aspect. Now perhaps something can be done without multi-threading the AI, so let's not chalk out completely a Gold version. I'm not the only one to decide anyway!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

vonduus
Private

Fri May 10, 2013 3:26 pm

vaalen wrote:Ah, Pocus, you break my heart.

Many of us accept the turn processing time, because the rest of the game is so grand and beyond compare, and would love to see the kind of improvements that have been discussed on this forum, and more scenarios. We would happily pay to get them. Please consider this, I beg you.

This!

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Pocus wrote:Many people are vocal about this problem, plus it is our belief that this was what prevented PON to be the overwhelming success it deserves ;)

So that would be weird to propose a PON gold without at least significant improvements on this aspect. Now perhaps something can be done without multi-threading the AI, so let's not chalk out completely a Gold version. I'm not the only one to decide anyway!

Agreed that PON deserves, still, to be an overwhelming success in sales. It already is an overwhelming success in art, in history, in being the best game I have ever played, and I have played hundreds. I beg you once again, to give us an update, throw us a nice bone. And I hope with all my heart that you find a way to improve the processing time that is not too difficult to do. But, even if you can't, please give us something, this game is just too magnificent to be abandoned!

maeschba

Fri May 17, 2013 3:28 pm

vaalen wrote:...this game is just too magnificent to be abandoned!

+1

Just bought the four DLC, even if I like this game for it's grand campaign :D

bobbylev1
Conscript

Fri May 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Have to agree with Vaalen and the others. This game is great and any update would be greatly appreciated! :)

I have all of your games but PON has given me the most enjoyment so far, so much depth and history to it!

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Am I the only one who isn't bothered by long processing times? I just turn on the TV or find some other way to kill time while waiting.

>>Edit: post 666. MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Franciscus

Sat May 18, 2013 12:23 am

Perhaps the move to Matrix could made possible a (not-gold - silver maybe ? ;) ) "complete pack", with the future patch and all DLCs installed...

Just a thought

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 18, 2013 2:51 am

enf91 wrote:Am I the only one who isn't bothered by long processing times? I just turn on the TV or find some other way to kill time while waiting.

>>Edit: post 666. MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They do not bother me either. There are lots of things I can do for a couple of minutes between turns. I love this game.

unclejoe
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:09 pm

vaalen wrote:They do not bother me either. There are lots of things I can do for a couple of minutes between turns. I love this game.

Agree.....I have become anti-All Involving, All Consuming games.....this game takes patience. Gives time and space for life.....perhaps a more 19th century speed of life.

Ilitarist
Sergeant

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Pocus wrote:So that would be weird to propose a PON gold without at least significant improvements on this aspect.

I've bought PoN and I can't play it because of horrible performance and long turns. So I've payed and have no game. I'd prefer to pay once more and get the game which I'd genuinly like to play, it's better than have nothing.

I hope that one day you all make engine work properly in CW2 and I could play Rise of Prussia and PoN with updated engine that won't freeze and stutter when I try to scroll map on high-end machine.

numdydar
Conscript

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:33 pm

That's odd since I have no issue with scrolling at all and my PC is at least 3-4 years old. What are you running in the background and do you have the most update BIOS/drivers/etc.

Ilitarist
Sergeant

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:13 pm

numdydar wrote:That's odd since I have no issue with scrolling at all and my PC is at least 3-4 years old. What are you running in the background and do you have the most update BIOS/drivers/etc.

Yeah, all's fine. I run Civilization 5 on max settings and have no problem at all. Even when I run PoN in 1024x768 I still get something that feels like 10 FPS. I've tried it on several machines and it seems the game has problem with laptops (though mine is powefull enough to run modern games with great FPS).

PoN looks like a very big, complex and buggy game. Rise of Prussia on the other hand has a big picture with lines and colourful filters on it, but it still works meh and freezes for several seconds when I zoom out or do some actions. In any case, RoP feels playable though uncomfortable - like I'm playing some new graphic-heavy game on max settings, but PoN is simply terrible. Good reason not to buy AJE and wait for engine changes in CW2.

I've checked how long PoN processes the first turn. It's 1:35, not so horrible after all, though I guess it'll be worse later.

Durk

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 am

Like numdydar, I have no issues running on a laptop pc. takes less than a minute to run a turn.
I wonder why you get freezes in RoP, also.
I think there must be some issues with your settings or what is running in the background.

Ilitarist
Sergeant

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:05 am

Durk wrote:Like numdydar, I have no issues running on a laptop pc. takes less than a minute to run a turn.
I wonder why you get freezes in RoP, also.
I think there must be some issues with your settings or what is running in the background.

Perhaps.

I've just downloaded Alea Jacta Est demo and it works as it should and is fully playable. Go figure.

sagji
Lieutenant

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 pm

I haven't played AJE but I would expect it to be similar - you could try looking at the settings of the two and see if it there is anything different. From memory there are one or two settings that can effect performance but where it isn't obvious from the description that it will.

Andy2
Private

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:20 pm

PON is my favorite strategy game. About a gold version, I would be very happy.

Taciturn Scot
Sergeant

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:24 am

This is the BEST strategy game I've ever played, bar none. I would dearly love to see this one get a bit more love. I don't really care about the time it takes to process turns as the AI provides a very good challenge, for this player at least. A GOOD AI opponent is worth its weight in Platinum.

Personally, I'd pay for a Gold update that had the ACW 2 Battle Planner alone ;)

allan_boa
Colonel

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:41 pm

I agree 100%. The game is GREAT ! Probably the best grand strategy ever. No kidding. Bravo !
In fact I wasn't able to play before because my PC was not powerful enough but now, with my new PC, I'm really enjoying the game.
No problem at all if game takes long to process turns. This is a detail and it's not a relevant criticism for a game of this magnitude.

bwiser
Private

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:35 am

+1
Would love to see some more detail in (domestic) politics.
And I totally agree - turn times are a non issue

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:14 am

PoN was a huge let-down for me, due entirely to its turn processing times on my laptop. I don't regret a single cent paid on release, it's right up my alley, I bought all the DLCs and I own five other AGEOD titles that I'm very happy with, so one disappointment in six ain't bad. I'm glad to see there's a dedicated fan-base because I hope to play the Grand Campaign someday and I'm looking forward to seeing what modders come up with. But turn times prevented it from achieving greater financial success beyond a tiny niche market, and they are right to address that issue before they release any updated editions.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Donyme
Civilian

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:13 pm

turn time is definitively not an issue.
My main issue is the overall stability of the game (or the lack of reliability), event with no text, no image, DLC no longer usable after patch released, weird behavior, window lagging as hell after patch.
The game has a huge potential, the historical period, the scale of the game is a must ; but the realization lacks the minimum of reliability you should get from something you buy.

Kensai

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:22 am

The problems of PON as I have experienced them in the past two years I've been playing it constantly are these:

- long turn process (the most obvious problem that most players hate...)
- database errors and bugs (these are small and vicious, difficult to eradicate in such a game, do not blame the small team here... it's our job as players who explore the thousand permutations of the game to find them and report them too... problems include unlinked research chains, unit upgrade chains, event conditions, etc)
- missing features (a scripted WW1, loan system, General-Admiral quotas for each decade, etc)
- balancing issues (this can become quite nasty in a long game... the economy generally works very well but there is still need for some help for the AI to not spiral out of contentment and into paralyzing strikes... as well as limit the policy playing cards and structure pools for all nations, etc)

Personally, as you can see in my personal AAR (link in signature) I do not mind, cause I can fix on the go most of the issues as I see fit... but the ideal game should NOT require human intervention. Anyway, Pride of Nations is a GEM and I really hope it gets the attention it deserves for a WW1 DLC next year (anniversary) together with a much needed v1.1 which brings some missing features (for example the loans), more realism (limited cards-structure-force pools), better balancing (with some help to the AI nations). But honestly, this could only make sense if there was an upgrade to the whole AGE engine for the slow turns... if these are not cut to under a minute, it should remain a no go.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Templer
General

I am Disappointed and Angry.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Kensai wrote:The problems of PON as I have experienced them in the past two years I've been playing it constantly are these:

- long turn process (the most obvious problem that most players hate...)
- database errors and bugs (these are small and vicious, difficult to eradicate in such a game, do not blame the small team here... it's our job as players who explore the thousand permutations of the game to find them and report them too... problems include unlinked research chains, unit upgrade chains, event conditions, etc)
- missing features (a scripted WW1, loan system, General-Admiral quotas for each decade, etc)
- balancing issues (this can become quite nasty in a long game... the economy generally works very well but there is still need for some help for the AI to not spiral out of contentment and into paralyzing strikes... as well as limit the policy playing cards and structure pools for all nations, etc)

Personally, as you can see in my personal AAR (link in signature) I do not mind, cause I can fix on the go most of the issues as I see fit... but the ideal game should NOT require human intervention. Anyway, Pride of Nations is a GEM and I really hope it gets the attention it deserves for a WW1 DLC next year (anniversary) together with a much needed v1.1 which brings some missing features (for example the loans), more realism (limited cards-structure-force pools), better balancing (with some help to the AI nations). But honestly, this could only make sense if there was an upgrade to the whole AGE engine for the slow turns... if these are not cut to under a minute, it should remain a no go.

Kensai, exactly, you've got the point! :thumbsup:

My personal comment to the topic: :eyebrow:

A gold version?

I think through the many issues still alive, Pride of Nations is not satisfactory playable in the long term.

As much as I like Pride of Nations, before I will to spend money again, there must be offered at least one huge patch!
After that, I would gladly pay for a gold version.

Pride of Nations could be one of the best games I have ever played.
With all the errors, issues, bugs and inconsistencies - unfortunately only in theory!

Should this be fixed, I personally can accept slightly longer times.
Unfortunately, the developers and other responsible seem to have lost their interest in Pride of Nations.

Someone has ruined a great, an outstanding game!
For this I am very disappointed – for this I am very angry.
Greetings
Templer

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Templer wrote:Someone with AGEOD has ruined a great, an outstanding game!
For this I am very disappointed – for this I am very angry.

I'm sorry but you are talking complete rubbish with this statement - strongly suggest you amend your post
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:04 am

A gold Version in 2014...please..

Return to “Pride of Nations”