Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

mustering or entering of new units.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:40 pm

To be honest - this is a very important one =

a city with city size 1-2 should only field one new brigade each turn,

a city with city size 3-5 should only field 2 new brigades each turn,

a city with city size 6 or higher should only field 3 brigades each turn,

you can also make this condition even more hard = only a new brigade can be introduced if all present brigades have been filled and ready for action (red banner units are gone).

Why ? Well - Tranquill and his Bushwackers ride up North and take one city in Missouri - the next turn I order 8 brigades from Missouri (reg and irreg) and they all arrive in this one city. This is a behemoth and totally ahistorical and gamey. From there on, the Union has a big problem.

If Tranquill is able to capture one city - it's a little naive to assume that a few weeks later - 8 confederate brigades are present in this one city!

Off course, if you have more cities in a state, there's no problem no more, the newer units are spawned in cities that are not "growing" a new brigade.

iceboy
Corporal

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:41 pm

Spruce wrote:To be honest - this is a very important one =

a city with city size 1-2 should only field one new brigade each turn,

a city with city size 3-5 should only field 2 new brigades each turn,

a city with city size 6 or higher should only field 3 brigades each turn,

you can also make this condition even more hard = only a new brigade can be introduced if all present brigades have been filled and ready for action (red banner units are gone).

Why ? Well - Tranquill and his Bushwackers ride up North and take one city in Missouri - the next turn I order 8 brigades from Missouri (reg and irreg) and they all arrive in this one city. This is a behemoth and totally ahistorical and gamey. From there on, the Union has a big problem.

If Tranquill is able to capture one city - it's a little naive to assume that a few weeks later - 8 confederate brigades are present in this one city!

Off course, if you have more cities in a state, there's no problem no more, the newer units are spawned in cities that are not "growing" a new brigade.

Agreed! Great idea! I felt this was very unrealistic as well!

Spharv2

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:13 pm

Depends how you look at it. Personally, I don't think of the units that show up as having been raised from that city, that city is just where they happened to be mustered. It's not like every unit that was mustered in Chicago was composed only of men who lived there.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:51 pm

Spharv2 wrote:Depends how you look at it. Personally, I don't think of the units that show up as having been raised from that city, that city is just where they happened to be mustered. It's not like every unit that was mustered in Chicago was composed only of men who lived there.

I agree that larger cities can "spawn" more then one brigade. But tiny outback cities like the one Quantrill took with his Bushwackers - in my case - shouldn't have an army of I estimate 20.000 troopers. It's just too gamey and totally ahistorical.

not all cities can be defended by militia.

Pocus

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:41 am

there is something which can be improved here, but not for the next update...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:39 pm

perhaps a simple solution = just "lag" new brigades if too many are requested in one city. F.e. units can be "delayed" a few turns where the amount of delay is displayed on the unit.

This will make the player to consider to buy all these brigades if there's a chance, the enemy takes back your town and your hard payed money is wasted.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”