TheDoctorKing

Naval transport

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:44 am

Last turn, I had the British II Army in France and I tried to use naval transport to get them to Egypt. I got error messages, so tried to break their voyage in Plymouth. This turn, I tried moving them from Plymouth to Alexandria, to Kuwait, and to India. Same problem. Is there some reason why the British can't move units by naval transport outside the Atlantic?
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

calvinus

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:27 am

What is the exact error msg? Have you tried to move to Gibraltar or Southern France?
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

Revan
Corporal

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:46 am

Maybe the number of units you want to board excedes the English naval transport limit?

TheDoctorKing

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 pm

The units just can't be moved to any port outside of the French Atlantic coast. The error message mentions that some armies are locked in some theaters by scenario, so I tried detaching the non-II Army designated corps from the army, making them an independent stack, and moving them, but that is also not possible. I guess Parliament or the King or somebody doesn't want those guys outside of France. Seems odd, I'd expect that the player, acting in the capacity of the national high command, could decide to shift the emphasis from Northern Europe (where we have a constrained front because Belgium is still neutral) to some other part of the world.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:19 pm

You should be able to move them to the Gibraltar sea zone from Britain in one turn. Once there, getting them to any Mediterranean port can be completed the following turn.

Strategic sea transport probably takes longer than it should in WW1G but I tend to chalk it up to the difficulties involved in moving great armies, their paraphernalia, stores and equipment while preparing the necessary supporting infrastructure at the destination.

-C

TheDoctorKing

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:28 am

No, they wouldn't go to Gibraltar. The farthest they would go was just off Lisbon. I'm going to try to rail them across France this turn and embark them from Marseille.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 pm

You are correct, I usually ship troops to the Med through France as you're doing and so generally ignore Gibraltar.

Found the problem though, the Straights of Gibraltar sea zone is connected to the Atlantic sea zone but not the Bay of Biscay or North Atlantic sea zones that are easily accessed from the British Isles.

The fix looks easy enough to implement, when I get the time to test it I will post it on this thread.

There's a similar problem with the Portugal Box that inhibits the appearance of the Portuguese Expeditionary Force should Portugal enter the War so I'll try and fix this as well and do a single upload.

Apologies for the bad data in my above post.

-C

Edit:
My initial assumption was incorrect regarding the Gibraltar sea zone but am trying a Plan B as a fix.

TheDoctorKing

Sun May 19, 2013 4:49 am

Finally got back to playing that game again. No, you can't move units by sea from southern France to the Middle East either. It doesn't make any difference if they are in an army or an independent stack or even part of an army whose HQ is in the Middle East. You can't move British units by sea between the Western and Eastern Med.

Talk about frustrating!

I guess I could move the HQ to some place in the central Med like Malta, then move the stack of guys I want to transport to the farthest southeastern sea box they can enter, then have them go into HQ reserves. But talk about a kludge!

You should be able to move units by sea wherever you damn well please.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”