Moriety
Major

How do I teleport units?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 am

I have a problem!

As Russia I have made a colony out of Afghanistan.
The Afghan troops all vanished a couple of turns before the status kicked in. I discovered they had all been moved to Lhasa, the Tibetan capital. This province is surrounded by Chinese territory and they are all slowly dying, but I cannot move them. (This problem happened in my last game as well, but in Africa, except there they silently sat in unexplored terrain.)

I don't want to lose these native troops, so how can I teleport them back to friendly soil? (Editing the province number in the 4 save files has made no difference).
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

powloon1
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:21 pm

i have not done this myself but looking on the AGEOD Wiki I think you could script the effect with a combination of

SelectSubUnits = Region $blah;FactionTags blah
AlterCuSubUnit = ApplyToList;MoveRgnID blah

Replacing blah with the relevant id.

Hope that helps

Moriety
Major

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Powloon.

I tried too different scripts but neither have worked:

SelectFaction = $CMN
SelectFaction = RUS

Actions
SelectSubUnits = Region $1246
AlterCuSubUnit = ApplyToList
MoveRgnID = $1023

End Event

And this:

SelectFaction = $CMN
SelectFaction = RUS

StartEvent = Teleport Squaddies|1|1|NULL|NULL|$Lhassa|NULL

Actions
SelectFaction = $RUS
SelectRegion = $Lhassa
SelectSubUnits = Region $1246
AlterCuSubUnit = ApplyToList
MoveRgnID = $1023

I added in the "StartEvent" bit copied in from the Change region Owner script to see if it helped.

A good idea would be if the next patch forced the troops of a nation that has just become a colony to be instantly placed at the colonial capital, as this issue occurs frequently, and these irregular troops are very useful to players!
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

PhilThib

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 am

There are many errors in above script (no $ before faction tags needed in SelectSubUnits, faction CMN just selects no one, it is used only for general spreading of messages, regions alias must be in text, not ID numbers, etc...) so no surprise it does not work.

I can help with the script if you give me the name of regions where you have the units you want to move, to who they belong, and where they go..

In spirit, it should be something like this:

-------------------------------
SelectFaction = $RUS

SelectSubUnits = Area $Area_Tibet;FactionTags RUS
AlterCuSubUnit = ApplytoList;Move $Lhassa

Apply

EndEvent

-------------------------
Will move all RUS units in Tibet to Lhassa, if this is what you want to achieve....

Moriety
Major

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:51 am

PhilThib wrote:There are many errors in above script (no $ before faction tags needed in SelectSubUnits, faction CMN just selects no one, it is used only for general spreading of messages, regions alias must be in text, not ID numbers, etc...) so no surprise it does not work.

I can help with the script if you give me the name of regions where you have the units you want to move, to who they belong, and where they go..

In spirit, it should be something like this:

-------------------------------
SelectFaction = $RUS

SelectSubUnits = Area $Area_Tibet;FactionTags RUS
AlterCuSubUnit = ApplytoList;Move $Lhassa

Apply

EndEvent

-------------------------
Will move all RUS units in Tibet to Lhassa, if this is what you want to achieve....

Thanks for the help Phil,
The units are the former Afghan army and include the heavy garrison artillery. They are currently in the province of Lhassa, and getting them moved to Kabul would be great.

PhilThib

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:57 am

Are those Afghans controlled by you? or they are Afghans? and what are they doing in Tibet ???

Anyway, the script should be more or less like this:

SelectFaction = $RUS (or you write $AFG instead if they are nto controlled by you)

SelectSubUnits = Area $Area_Tibet;FactionTags AFG
AlterCuSubUnit = ApplytoList;Move $Kabul

Apply

That should work...

EndEvent

Pocus

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:48 pm

no need for a $ before faction tags, this is not an alias, the game just look at the faction which is using the 3 letters you type.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Moriety
Major

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks for the replies Phil's.

It still isn't working however. I did try various combinations; with $ and without, AFG, TAA for the group, but no joy sadly.

Sorry Powloon, I now see that the ";" you had added was intentional, I thought it meant create a new line!)

PhilTib;
I think I may have worked out how they (and the Bokhara units) ended up there (In Lhassa). I was thinking back to when it happened in the last game with African tribal armies and remembered that this also happened:
1) I play the declare colony card on a nation.
2) A couple of turns later another minor nation declares war on them.
3) Next turn all the native armies vanished.

In the case of this game Persia declared war on Afghanistan, the next turn the Armies of ALL the Central Asian nations vanished completely! (see the Bokhare units also in the screenshot and note the Kabul heavy defence artillery! :) )

[ATTACH]21636[/ATTACH]
Attachments
AFG problem2.jpg

PhilThib

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 am

This is becoming weird and complex. Please send a save to Pocus :bonk:

Moriety
Major

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 am

The zipped file size of 5.5mb exceeds the upload size. Is the email address located on site (I don't see it)?
One thing, I'd forgotten to renew 'Promise local support' and I believe this prevents this belligerent AI situation.

Any thoughts on an alternative script as that would be fine for me? How about moving the units individually?
(I don't want to take up valuable Dev's time on what is a minor, if interesting, situation!)

PhilThib

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:45 am

Moriety
Major

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 am

PhilThib wrote:email to: support@ageod.net

Cheers,
I sent it in Saturday late evening, hope you got it?

Moriety
Major

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:56 am

Any news on this at all?
I stopped played the game when it happened, it would be good to resume it.

stephenfjones
Conscript

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:47 am

PhilThib,
I have never modded PoN but would like to open up the full range of Colonial Actions for Ottomans. If I had more specific details on which files to copy and modify and how to kick them off, I could probably do it. Can I mod a game I am currently playing? Also, I am TUR in 1858 and they have not grasped the Industrial Revolution yet. Does that happen by 1860 or how can I force it.
Thanks.

PhilThib

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 am

Yes, it's easy to mod, you need to add an event to the Turkish events that will grant them the colonial actions (see model below but alter the figures to your needs)

*** add this in the turkish event file *****************

Conditions
MinDate = 1857/12/06
MaxDate = 1899/12/31

Actions

SelectFaction = $TUR
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdExploreParty;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdNatExpedition;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdGeoExpedition;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdAnthroExpedition;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdProspection;2
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdProsecute;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdPacify;2
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdRetaliate;3
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdOutpost;5
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdGunboatDiplomacy;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdNavalDemo;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdChiefBribing;10
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdChiefTreaty;3
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdChiefTerritory;3
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdMissionary;5
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdMerchants;5
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdTradepost;15
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdRoad;10
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdTelegraph;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdSchool;5
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdVaccination;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdSanitation;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdImmigrants;5
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdSociety;3
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdProtectorate;2
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdColony;2
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdStake;5
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdCustoms;1
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdRail;1

EndEvent

stephenfjones
Conscript

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:40 pm

SelectFaction = $TUR

Conditions
MinDate = 1857/12/06
MaxDate = 1899/12/31

Actions

EndEvent

So, I pasted this content in the TUR Events file and nothing immediate happened. Is it incorrect? BTW, thanks for the support.

Moriety
Major

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:04 pm

It would be good to get a reply to my post as well!
A save was requested and was sent in, since then complete silence.
Shall I abandon this game and start again or are you going to look at it Phil? (I put the game on hold when it happened nearly 3 weeks ago)

Jim-NC

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:22 am

stephenfjones wrote:SelectFaction = $TUR

Conditions
MinDate = 1857/12/06
MaxDate = 1899/12/31

Actions

EndEvent

So, I pasted this content in the TUR Events file and nothing immediate happened. Is it incorrect? BTW, thanks for the support.

There is no warning or text on this event, so the only way to see it is to look for the decisions. Also, I don't see the normal top of the script portion (tells it how many times it fires etc, which faction, etc.).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

stephenfjones
Conscript

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 am

Jim from NC (I am in Raleigh)
This is probably not that hard but I don't know how to mod this game. I would like to open up the full range of Colonial Actions for Ottomans. PhilThib gave me something to place in Events but it looked like it was missing something but I don't know what.
Thanks.

Jim-NC

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:28 am

I meant that the script should start with something like this (from the standard TUR event file - 1st entry).

SelectFaction = $TUR
SelectRegion = $Epiros
StartEvent = evt_nam_TUR_EpirusRevolt1854|1|2|evt_txt_TUR_EpirusRevolt1854|Event-Img_TUR_EpirusRevolt1854|$Epiros|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1854/01/01

You need to add the region and the StartEvent line. You would have something that should look like the below. Cut and paste to the top of the part you added before (do not add the dashed lines)

---------
SelectFaction = $TUR
SelectRegion = $Epiros
StartEvent = Adding Options to Ottoman Empire|1|1|NULL|NULL|$Epiros|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1857/12/06
MaxDate = 1899/12/31
SelectFaction = $TUR

Actions
---------

etc.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moriety
Major

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:24 am

Jim-NC wrote:I meant that the script should start with something like this (from the standard TUR event file - 1st entry).

SelectFaction = $TUR
SelectRegion = $Epiros
StartEvent = evt_nam_TUR_EpirusRevolt1854|1|2|evt_txt_TUR_EpirusRevolt1854|Event-Img_TUR_EpirusRevolt1854|$Epiros|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1854/01/01

You need to add the region and the StartEvent line. You would have something that should look like the below. Cut and paste to the top of the part you added before (do not add the dashed lines)

---------
SelectFaction = $TUR
SelectRegion = $Epiros
StartEvent = Adding Options to Ottoman Empire|1|1|NULL|NULL|$Epiros|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1857/12/06
MaxDate = 1899/12/31
SelectFaction = $TUR

Actions
---------

etc.

Sadly Jim it seems that the greatest supporters of the company are those that Phil Tibs treat with the greatest contempt.

Pocus

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:47 am

I think there was a misunderstanding here, the address given to you is support@ageod.net which is mostly deprecated now and completely flooded by spams. If you want to reach us it is better to use others address. This is what caused the huge delay.

Now honestly, I don't have the luxury of tracing back why the units disappeared, this would be a count in hours probably. Is it not possible you simply roll back one turn so there is no DOW from Persia and you keep your units? In an ideal world, devs have plenty of time to check each saved game of each player for 2 years old games while doing development on new games. But this world is less than ideal, sadly.

Now, if you are sure you pinpointed the bug on the DOW while playing a decision, perhaps I can get the saved game and check it when we do a new patch for PON, but right now, I can't do that.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Moriety
Major

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:40 am

Pocus wrote:I think there was a misunderstanding here, the address given to you is support@ageod.net which is mostly deprecated now and completely flooded by spams. If you want to reach us it is better to use others address. This is what caused the huge delay.

Now honestly, I don't have the luxury of tracing back why the units disappeared, this would be a count in hours probably. Is it not possible you simply roll back one turn so there is no DOW from Persia and you keep your units? In an ideal world, devs have plenty of time to check each saved game of each player for 2 years old games while doing development on new games. But this world is less than ideal, sadly.

Now, if you are sure you pinpointed the bug on the DOW while playing a decision, perhaps I can get the saved game and check it when we do a new patch for PON, but right now, I can't do that.

Thanks Phil.

I did point out the most likely conditions as to why I think it occurs, but as we can not reasonably save beyond the 4-turns only system you employ (as opposed to us making our own) an error is often only noticed when it is too late.
It took me 6 turns to notice this error as I wondered where the troops had vanished to (but had noticed it in the prior game in Africa), and it is explained in posts above.

I left the game after this as Russia is already disadvantaged by the Cavalry bug (no upgrades till 1890) so these troops are useful to guard the China border.
I still have the save but you didn't offer an alternate email.

I've only ever commented on repeatable bugs as I still wish for a PoN 2, and the actual bugs in PoN are very few.

I have a French mate staying till Tuesday so a native speaker exists if you want the save and have questions.

NOW: I started trying to play Great Invasions but was left utterly bewildered, however the crash at auto-save each year stopped me in my tracks...... I have an intellectual limit though, and this game flummoxed me.

Pocus

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:04 am

You can always archive the turn that was just processed, by manual mean (or you can do that once every 3 turns, then delete the 3 backups). Then, I totally get this is not expected behavior from a player, so I'm not trying to find an excuse either.

Have you talked with Kensai about the cavalry bug, that would be something to fix in a patch I believe.

Moriety
Major

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 am

Pocus wrote:You can always archive the turn that was just processed, by manual mean (or you can do that once every 3 turns, then delete the 3 backups). Then, I totally get this is not expected behavior from a player, so I'm not trying to find an excuse either.

Have you talked with Kensai about the cavalry bug, that would be something to fix in a patch I believe.

So still no alternative email address then?
All I want to do is get the AFG units back to friendly territory so I can continue the game!

Kensai was going to look at the Cavalry bug and I sent a message saying I'd be happy to do any foot-slogging to track down the fault in either the 1850 or 1860 models that are the problem, but didn't hear back sadly.
I did point up one clear error where a particular model has it's upgrade path point to a Cossack unit. All the effected UID and model numbers were posted in the earlier posts about the issue. In 1890 they all do finally upgrade, so something is right in the 1890 models that is wrong in the upgrade paths for the 1850 or 1860 models.

Pocus

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:42 pm

I can look, but do you have the turn before the disappear? I can't chase ghosts for too long for PON, sorry.

Moriety
Major

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:23 am

Pocus wrote:I can look, but do you have the turn before the disappear? I can't chase ghosts for too long for PON, sorry.

Unsure what you are asking for here.
The last save I have is before the AFG army starts to lose elements, by the 2nd turn after this the Static Kabul heavy artillery is destroyed though supply lack.
I pointed up why I think the conditions allow it to occur before. It's not a biggie. The clue to the code is how the AI reacts. If you don't put the protective umbrella on a minor of "promise local support" the AI gets opportunistic, why the Army of that nation then gets teleported to another regional nation is another question....... :)

The other Phil did the hammer on the head symbol over this. It's not major as it is preventable by the simple diplomatic action above, if I have "read" the AI correctly. (but perhaps too late for me in my current game).

Pocus

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 am

Ok, if the save is enough to get the situation, I can probably check it once we have time for a patch. The situation seems complex, so that not something I can slip between 2 days of work on ACW2, sorry. Small team here.

Moriety
Major

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:46 am

Hi Pocus,

As said in a post above I sent a zipped save to the address the other Phil gave. Since then you said this was now considered a spam address, so why was I given it?!
I still have the save as I stopped the game the day I hit the problem in February, so if you have an alternative address I will send it again.

Return to “Pride of Nations”