Bullman
Lieutenant

Leader Ability: Pontic World

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 am

Hi

I have seen this Leader ability (more like a penalty for operating beyond a certain geographical area) quite a bit but I want a clarification on exactly how to interpret the geographical area described is defined.
eg. Pontic World

I would assume it matches up to one of the map overlays eg. "Show Grand Regions" as a mouse over/Theatre in the manual, or what the fifth line of the info pop up box when you mouse over a region. However nowhere on the map is the term/use of the word "Pontic" used to describe anything.

If anything, the Grand Region/Theatre I would guess that could actually be the zone referred to as "Pontic World" would be the light aqua colored one actually called "Asia Minor and Antolia" on the map.

Is this correct?

I think I have seen other leaders in other scenarios where the name of the area used in the description has no match to anything actually described on the map.

Soulstrider
Major

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:52 pm

I think the Pontic World area also includes Greece and Thracia, but yeah those leader limited areas should been more clarified.

Bullman
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Soulstrider wrote:I think the Pontic World area also includes Greece and Thracia, but yeah those leader limited areas should been more clarified.

Would be good to get some official word on this and the definitions of the other "geographical" names used on the leader cards relating to this ability and to what actual game map "Grand Regions" they include.

vonBredow
Sergeant

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Bocchus II has the African World trait and cannot leave... well, Africa.

yellow ribbon

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Bullman wrote:Would be good to get some official word on this and the definitions of the other "geographical" names used on the leader cards relating to this ability and to what actual game map "Grand Regions" they include.

would you accept UNOFFICIAL ?

go to [color="#FF0000"]gamedata/areas.ini[/color]

or follow the steps i described

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?26879-Penalty-outside-of-home-area

as the map filters were introduced long before the out-of-home-area effect, there is no strict correlation in the color-filter. but you get the information from the tooltip, hoovering over the regions (TOW and Grand total)
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

yellow ribbon

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 pm

List as follows until public beta patch (updated)

// ***** Areas for HomeArea of units (new AreaBound feature) - version 1.00

// Area #226, AreaBound - The East
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_TheEast
Name = HomeArea_TheEast
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Asia_Minor|§$Theater_Oriens|§$Theater_Me sopotamia|§$Theater_Aegyptus|§$Theater_Caucasus
{/Area}

// Area #227, AreaBound - Greek World (Alexander's Successors, not West)
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_GreekWorld
Name = HomeArea_GreekWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Asia_Minor|§$Theater_Oriens|§$Theater_Ma cedonia_Graecia|§$Theater_Thracia|§$Theater_Aegypt us|§$Area_Chersonesus
{/Area}

// Area #228, AreaBound - Hispanian World
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_HispanianWorld
Name = HomeArea_HispanianWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Hispania
{/Area}

// Area #229, AreaBound - African World
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_AfricanWorld
Name = HomeArea_AfricanWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Africa
{/Area}

// Area #230, AreaBound - Gallic World
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_GallicWorld
Name = HomeArea_GallicWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Gallia|§$Theater_Alpes|§$Theater_Hispani a|§$Theater_Britannia|
{/Area}

// Area #231, AreaBound - Germanic World
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_GermanicWorld
Name = HomeArea_GermanicWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Gallia|§$Theater_Germania|§$Theater_Lugi a|§$Theater_Moesia_Pannonia|§$Theater_Dacia
{/Area}

// Area #232, AreaBound - Parthian World
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_ParthianWorld
Name = HomeArea_ParthianWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Oriens|§$Theater_Mesopotamia|§$Theater_P ersia|§$Theater_Caucasus
{/Area}

// Area #233, AreaBound - Oriental World
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_OrientalWorld
Name = HomeArea_OrientalWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Oriens|§$Theater_Mesopotamia
{/Area}

// Area #234, AreaBound - Balkanic World
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_BalkanicWorld
Name = HomeArea_BalkanicWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Macedonia_Graecia|§$Theater_Moesia_Panno nia|§$Theater_Dacia|§$Theater_Illyria|§$Theater_Th racia
{/Area}
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

yellow ribbon

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:22 pm

this was the summary in NOVEMBER 2012, the theater of war are defined as normal in the same file, but also in the colored filter.

hence the only confusing is, what theater of War is correlated to which area bound (see above)
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

Bullman
Lieutenant

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:34 pm

yellow ribbon wrote:List as follows until public beta patch (updated)

// ***** Areas for HomeArea of units (new AreaBound feature) - version 1.00

OK, but there is nothing in that list called "Pontic World". Am I correct in assuming that Pontic actually is Parthian in that list?

If so then:

// Area #232, AreaBound - Parthian World
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_ParthianWorld
Name = HomeArea_ParthianWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Oriens|§$Theater_Mesopotamia|§$Theater_P ersia|§$Theater_Caucasus
{/Area}

So If I try and interpret this information as actually being "Pontic World", there seems listed four Theatres defining this area:
Oriens
Mesopotamia
Persia
Caucasus

Here is a look at the map from that scenario:

What I now notice is that all but one of the Pontus land army leaders have the Pontic World trait (the exception is one leader with the Greek World trait who is in Greece).
ALL of these leaders and their armies it seems do not even start or will be likely to be operating in any of the theatres defined by Pontic World, which seems very harsh.

So I go back to questioning if "Pontic World" = "Parthian World" as defined in the areas.ini file.
Are they the same thing?

Bohémond

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:03 pm

The equivalence is
Parthia and Media = Mesopotamia
2 OMB on the right of the Map = Persia
Oriens Magnus = Oriens
Caucasus = Caucasus

I agree that internal names and ingame names could quite confusing.

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

Bullman
Lieutenant

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Bohémond wrote:The equivalence is
Parthia and Media = Mesopotamia
2 OMB on the right of the Map = Persia
Oriens Magnus = Oriens
Caucasus = Caucasus

I agree that internal names and ingame names could quite confusing.

Regards

OK thanks. Seems that the Pontus army is quite disadvantaged in this scenario as far as all suffering severe penalties for operating outside of Pontic World it seems.

Where can I find a more exact description of the "severe penalties' they will suffer?

Bohémond

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:38 pm

You give the example of Parthian World (UID 232).

For Pontic World you got ;

// Area #215, AreaBound, Pontic World -
{Area}
UID = $HomeArea_PonticWorld
Name = HomeArea_PonticWorld
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Theater_Asia_Minor|§$Theater_Oriens|§$Theater_Mesopotamia|§$Theater_Macedonia_Graecia|§$Theater_Thracia|§$Area_Chersonesus
{/Area}

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

wryun
Sergeant

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:25 am

So why doesn't Pontic World include the Caucusus? A bit odd in the Marius vs. Sulla scenario when you go to crush your son as Pontus and your leaders forget how to lead when they get to Colchis... although the Rex is the only leader without a Pontic/Balkan world restriction? Should Mithridates head for Rome? :-)

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”