Death6
Civilian

Low Frames When Zoomed Out?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:08 am

Hello AGOED Forums!

I have come here to ask if i am the only one experiencing this issue. I have a very powerful laptop an Alienware m17xr3. I have bought Alea Jacta Est off Gamersgate a few days ago but when i go in the game and launch a campaign i have a problem. Everytime i want to move around the map whilst being zoomed out the game lags and stutters. This disappears more and more when you zoom in? Now what i was wondering is the game doesn't even have that high res textures for my laptop to stutter when zoomed out? Zooming out should mean less intensive usage of hardware?

Anyway i hope you can help me out!

Thanks.

Pocus

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:06 am

Zooming out ask for more power on the contrary, as you display more regions that get resized, true, but this is still more regions to display.
You can try playing without factional borders (it is an option), also be sure to not have selected a big stack (or not stack at all) when you zoom this way.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Addams
Conscript

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 am

For some reason to play windowed really helped for me.

Quite smooth now but when running the game full screen the damn thing is slow as hell when zoomed out.

Death6
Civilian

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Removing borders and using windowed mode helped a little but still improvements can be made to performance here.

Stelteck
Colonel

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 am

Hello.
I just start to play the game but the map scroll really slowly and it is quite annoying. I have a middle class desktop using 1600*1200 screen.

Others UI item work very smooth, but the scrolling is terrible. If i do not move the map, everything ok. Not very efficient for strategic planning though....

I will try to check a few options as proposed above and see if it is helping. (especially windowed and removing border).

I use window vista, a quad 6600 and a medium range radeon graphic board.

Stelteck
Colonel

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi.
After some configuration tweaking, i can confirm that disabling border drawing is a MAJOR change in game smouthness. The scroll speed when zoomout go from slow to ultrafast without it. (No change to others options).

Death6
Civilian

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 pm

So i am not alone here. Good to know :)

Addams
Conscript

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Stelteck wrote:Hi.
After some configuration tweaking, i can confirm that disabling border drawing is a MAJOR change in game smouthness. The scroll speed when zoomout go from slow to ultrafast without it. (No change to others options).

Oh my, the change is amazing. All smooth now, even in full screen.

Thanks a lot for that.

wryun
Sergeant

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:14 pm

I too suffer from horrible lag when zoomed out... except not the furthest out, because there are no borders. I would love it if the level at which borders are displayed could be set lower, so I see them when I zoom in but they don't mess up my scrolling as I zoom out.

BigDuke66
General

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Indeed removing borders helps a lot.
BTW can I see my FPS somehow?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Bohémond

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:01 pm

To see your FPS, you can play with Debug Mode on ( GameOptions Menu).

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

wryun
Sergeant

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:48 am

wryun wrote:I too suffer from horrible lag when zoomed out... except not the furthest out, because there are no borders. I would love it if the level at which borders are displayed could be set lower, so I see them when I zoom in but they don't mess up my scrolling as I zoom out.

Not in 1.02... even just a setting in the config files would be great (or is it already there and I'm missing it?)

Hister
Private

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 pm

I also get unplayable stuttering when I scroll over the map in higher zoom-out levels when I have the "show borders" on ON. Having it on OFF makes the game enjoyable again.

AGEOD devs, can't you do some optimisation in a future patch? I really like having visible borders and those dotted lines shouldn't present such a system hog so there must be something wrong with the code.

Please fix it! Thank you.

Return to “AJE Technical support / Aide technique”