Leibst

Defining the Powerof a model

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi,

Which are the values that determine the power of a model?

i guess 'Off value', 'Deff value', 'Hits', Cohesion, Quality...
and which is the most important?
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Pocus

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:10 pm

yes, but you know that the power of a model is never actually used in combat... so why do you want to tweak that specifically?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Leibst

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:29 am

In my tests in SCW militia units are very powerful, and i want to make them less powerful as it was.
I suposse the power value represents its capability of combat.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Pocus

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:29 am

yes and no :)

They represent a summary of how they will perform in combat. But for you it is better that you understand how the stats of an element (model) affect combat. For that you can study the battle logs. Because 2 elements can have the same combat power but will behave totally differently in combat, and if you want to stay historical, you have to tweak the right values to achieve historical behavior, and you should not just reduce some values there and there, almost randomly, to get say 20 combat power... This would not be the right way.

Let's take an example, if you want to represent how powerful is a machinegun company, particularly in defence, then you'll give it an average offensive firepower, a very good defensive firepower. A small to medium range (because you want the element to fire after the field artillery) and then a high rate of fire.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Leibst

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:56 am

I understand you.
Im trying to give the militias less Initiative, this could make them to make less impacts so regular infantry should prevail.
Is a case similar to combats between redcoats and american militia in BoA2.
HQ website

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”