Emx77

Strategic Map: Caesar vs Pompey

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Here is my first strategic map for AJE. It is for Roman Civil War scenario (Caesar vs Pompey 50 BC).

Whole map with legend is attached to this post.

Enjoy!
Attachments
Caesar vs Pompey SM v1.00.jpg.zip
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 775 times

Laruku
General of the Army

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Can you explain the symbols? Thx

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Laruku wrote:Can you explain the symbols? Thx

Mate, open the file and look at the top right.

yellow ribbon

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:44 pm

for the artwork and picture :thumbsup:
its a gem, but minor errs like DYrrachium, RaveNna...

also remember some points like depots and enter-able area evolve in all AGEOD games ;)
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Laruku
General of the Army

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Haplo_Patryn wrote:Mate, open the file and look at the top right.

Ah, yes. Mein Gott! What a monster map! ;)

koningtiger
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Very good work!!

Lafrite

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Magnifique !!! :w00t:

Kensai

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:26 pm

Thank you and respect! :hat:
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Very nice. Can't even play it yet and we already know where to grab all the bread. Now, where were those circuses located?

RPHKUSA
Private

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Your maps make me incredibly happy!

beuckelssen

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Congratulations. Great work and very useful. :coeurs:

Kensai

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Boomer wrote:...we already know where to grab all the bread...

Hah, that Egypt was the breadbasket of the Roman Empire was known since antiquity! I wonder how the ancient supply lines will play out. This is indeed very interesting.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Xaloc
General of the Army

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:28 pm

What a map! impressive work Emx77 :coeurs:

Pocus

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:50 am

Have you done the symbols yourself? They are very clear and neat!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hobbes

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Superb and very useful!

Thanks,
Chris

Emx77

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:34 pm

Pocus wrote:Have you done the symbols yourself? They are very clear and neat!

I have done most of them. Some drawings I found on Google but needed to modify them to improve readability.

Emx77

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:36 pm

yellow ribbon wrote:for the artwork and picture :thumbsup:
its a gem, but minor errs like DYrrachium, RaveNna...

also remember some points like depots and enter-able area evolve in all AGEOD games ;)

Thank you. Please report back any other misspelling or errors and I will make corrections and update map.

yellow ribbon

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:53 pm

there are few more points, comparing to the map, but i would ask the developers to work with you together for sake of the lovely map officially,
[color="#FFFF00"]
means asking their permission to deliver you the different names right from my screen...

devs ?[/color]
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

homet
Corporal

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks. The map looks great. I've enjoyed your WIA maps as well!

mortfyn
Conscript

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Thank you ! Very good work.

Hohenlohe

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:14 pm

Thx! Good work indeed...

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Pocus

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:09 am

I believe we would gladly accept your help on some symbols, if you have free time that is...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:44 pm

If anyone is interested, I went through the legion dispositions of both sides (so auxilia & allied forces and garrisons are missing):

Caesar
Italy: Caesar, XIII***
Gallia Cisalpina: Gaius Antonius, VIII*, XII*
Gallia Narbonensis: Fabius, V*, IX*, X*****, XV*
Southern Gaul: Trebonius, VI**, XI*, XIV*
Northern Gaul: Labienus, VII
Germania: XVI*****

Total 12 legions

Pompeius
Northern Hispania: Afranius, V*, VI**, VII***
Southern Hispania: Petreius, IV*, VIII**
Lusitania: Varro Reatinus, II*, IX**
Africa: Considius Longus, XIX
Macedonia: Lentulus Crus, XI**, XII***u
Asia Minor: XIIIu, XIVu
Syria: Metellus Scipio, XV***, XVI***

Total 14 legions (3 understrength), +2 x Caesarean veterans in Italy

Stars mean experience (personally I'm quite disappointed with the low level of experience of most of Caesar's legions), u means understrength.

Some might consider this knowledge cheating, but I think that each side was pretty well aware of how many legions and where the other side had.

koningtiger
Lieutenant

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:21 am

Very useful pantsukki. xp is right imho, the republican sirian legions were quite good, the XIII and X caesarian too, only surprise is XVI , the most powerful, i was not aware of that one as so good.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 am

koningtiger wrote:Very useful pantsukki. xp is right imho, the republican sirian legions were quite good, the XIII and X caesarian too, only surprise is XVI , the most powerful, i was not aware of that one as so good.

I agree that the XVIth was maybe the most surprising. But I'd personally have given most of Caesar's legions at least two stars, as the majority of them had been fightning for such a long time in Gaul and Britain. Maybe it's because of balancing, to give that traitor Pompeius a chance ;) .

yellow ribbon

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 pm

have explained you in the other thread, the experience STARS in the panel do not represent the experience in combat, but the level gained "on this level"

expect at minimum in AGEOD games:

basic model / experienced model

difference in discipline (very important that days) and other stats

and then look for experience or not.

see it that way, a modern days battle tank crew starts with no experience, but its still hitting extraordinary hard and with different impact on different targets

PS:

dont tell the devs that i tell you, but LEADERS ARE IMPORTANT in this game ;)
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:02 pm

yellow ribbon wrote:have explained you in the other thread, the experience STARS in the panel do not represent the experience in combat, but the level gained "on this level"

expect at minimum in AGEOD games:

basic model / experienced model

difference in discipline (very important that days) and other stats

and then look for experience or not.

see it that way, a modern days battle tank crew starts with no experience, but its still hitting extraordinary hard and with different impact on different targets

PS:

dont tell the devs that i tell you, but LEADERS ARE IMPORTANT in this game ;)

Fair enough, I never bothered checking if the different legions have different stats, just assumed they are all the same. But if they don't, then I'd argue that some of the experience levels seems a bit off.

yellow ribbon

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:10 pm

no doubt in that, but seriously, you have veterans maybe, and a scale of five stars (havent the game open right now) and you have tenn years to bring them more experience...

you have to start somewhere and the difference of good veterans of Pom and excellent veterans of CAE cannot differ "that" much...

but remember, each of the dozens and dozens of stats and variables is tested for every element, then you end up with hundreds of elements in a large battle, you end up with thousands of things which can get wrong

in chance, opportunity, menslaughter and everything else a arm-chair general can hope for...

the differences in AGEOD are not to be seen "nominal" a higher number doesnt mean more success, thats the beautiful position they/Pocus delivers us.
Even if it looks like small differences, loosing such a very good legion will cause you headache, having it on th opposing side of the battle field even more.

lets the fellows catch you by surprise, you will enjoy it (or join the modders it to make it even better)
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”