Jerzul
Captain

Blowing Depots

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Another question (I'm sure none of you mind the new threads, hopefully overall activity will increase on the boards): If you give the order to blow a depot and then move, will the unit do that? What I mean is will the unit blow the depot before actually moving?
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:47 pm

Yes, it will, provided the leader is active. IIRC it takes 5 days to destroy a depot, so any moves taking longer than 10 days will not be completed in the same turn.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:47 pm

I'll have to correct my friend John ;) , but from 1.16a patch depots can be blown or not before you leave the county. Until patch 1.15 you could do what John said, but now the answer is 'maybe'.

Check out this (from the ACW updates file):

• Destruction of RailRoads is no longer automatic:

• A check is made of D100 <{less than} Stack Strength. +25 to stack strength if attribute “*pillage*” is applied to model.

• All Partisans, Indians, BushWhackers, Raiders, Guerillas and Bandidos now have “*NoCapture*|*pillage*” attributes.
(All show the Pillager ability icon)

• Day of destruction is random. Not always day 1, so if you give a move command, the unit may move away before destruction
occurs.

Regards! :wavey:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jerzul
Captain

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Ethan wrote:I'll have to correct my friend John ;) , but from 1.16a patch depots can be blown or not before you leave the county. Until patch 1.15 you could do what John said, but now the answer is 'maybe'.

Check out this (from the ACW updates file):

• Destruction of RailRoads is no longer automatic:

• A check is made of D100 <{less than} Stack Strength. +25 to stack strength if attribute “*pillage*” is applied to model.

• All Partisans, Indians, BushWhackers, Raiders, Guerillas and Bandidos now have “*NoCapture*|*pillage*” attributes.
(All show the Pillager ability icon)

• Day of destruction is random. Not always day 1, so if you give a move command, the unit may move away before destruction
occurs.

Regards! :wavey:

Well doesn't that pose some interesting strategic questions...so to ensure that a depot gets blown you'll have to not move a unit out of the county. That will certainly affect future operations.

Thanks Ethan!
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 pm

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

This was changed with the intent to avoid many cavalry raids that destroyed several railways in a few turns. Many PBEM players complained about it.
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Aren't you mixing and matching railroads and depots (which are in fact 2 different structures)?

Depots usually take 5 days to destroy (I say usually, as on occasion, I have found to my horror that it takes a wee bit longer, and my raiding force gets crushed). If you send out a raid, and capture an enemy depot, it sometimes takes 10 days - I am not sure why exactly, but have seen it a few times. I believe you need to establish control or something.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes, Jim, you're right, they are two different structures but I supposed that it works the same way, though maybe I'm wrong. I'm going to try this in my current game and I'll post the result here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Well, after trying several times to blow up various depots and move the stack in the same turn, I got two results:

* Some depots were blown up and the stack managed to move in the same turn.

* Other stacks were not successful destroying the depot and furthermore did not move that turn (and the stack's commander was active). It seemed as if the stack had not received any order, but when I went back a turn, I verified the order had been given.

Therefore, my conclusion is that it may not always be successful. :p apy: :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:37 am

Well, after trying several times to blow up various depots and move the stack in the same turn, I got two results:

* Other stacks were not successful destroying the depot and furthermore did not move that turn (and the stack's commander was active). It seemed as if the stack had not received any order, but when I went back a turn, I verified the order had been given.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jerzul
Captain

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Ethan wrote:Well, after trying several times to blow up various depots and move the stack in the same turn, I got two results:

I suppose that "adds to the realism" In war you can't count on anything!

Wraith
Sergeant

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:37 pm

To add my own questions about the destruction of depots to my Honorable Opponent's:

When the depots are blown, I'm assuming that any and all supplies of the various types are lost, and not evacuated... is that the case? I really don't want to blow a depot (other than an enemy's way behind the lines) if everything in it is going to be lost...

Jim-NC

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forums Wraith.

Everything is lost when a depot is blown. That is why you do it at the last possible moment.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:55 am

Hey! Welcome to the fellowship, Wraith. :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy your stay here, and if you have any question don't hesitate to ask. :wavey:

Regards!

PS: Remember the search function can be a very helpful tool.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”