ross_ntu
Conscript

Messages too long!!

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:03 pm

Hi

As others have said - this is looking to be a great game. Just two queries (well one query and one bug I guess :eek:

Firsdtly, the query- I want to know how people approach the scenarios - for instance Gettysburg. To me, playing as Union it seems that there is not much strategy (please don't think I'm knocking the game at all - I think it's my approach that's wrong - not the game's!) - all I seem to do is spread my corps out - one dealing with JEB Stuart, and the rest facing Lee. After a few smallish fights, Lee and the rest of his stack headed north to capture a slightly worthless town, and allowing me to hold Gettysburg unchallenged, and also trap him without supply! I thought this was a little easy - although I am playing on normal setting as I am fairly new to these games. Am I looking to recreate the battle too much? (I guess Take Command is the place to do that) Is there anything I can do to make it more of a strategic challenge - at the moment it just get my troops together and Lee gets his together and we through them at each other, and the CPU decides who wins. Thanks for any help with getting this right.

The second is the minor bug - basically at the moment the messages at the bottom of the screen detailing the previous turn sometimes go past the edge of the message box, meaning that I can't read them- almost like wordwrap (if there were such a setting in this game) has been turned off. Not sure if it's just my comp, but would be grateful for any help for this too.

Sorry for the long post - once again superb game :coeurs: - can't wait to properly learn it so I can try out some new strategies in the main campaign. :niark:

Ross

Spharv2

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Yeah, the "Battle" scenarios really aren't. :) I mean, all that can be done with the engine is to recreate the situation before the campaign, and let the players do what they will with it. What happens from there can possibly be about the same, but more likely, it'll follow a completely different path.

Can't help much with the other issue, since I've never seen it, sorry.

Pocus

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:20 am

The AI simply don't like to suicide herself, even if Gettysburg is an objective. If you play as the CSA, 'she' will be more aggressive. True, when in inferiority, you will have problem having her reenact the same situation. Also Gettysburg, as it is set, is a very very simple scenario with not much to do, we admit that.

About messages length: 1.00a should take care of that, have you downloaded it, there is a sticky in the forum about permanent links.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:00 am

Pocus wrote:The AI simply don't like to suicide herself, even if Gettysburg is an objective. If you play as the CSA, 'she' will be more aggressive. True, when in inferiority, you will have problem having her reenact the same situation. Also Gettysburg, as it is set, is a very very simple scenario with not much to do, we admit that.

About messages length: 1.00a should take care of that, have you downloaded it, there is a sticky in the forum about permanent links.

FYI...I have 1.00a version and still have some minor problems w/ the message length, particularly red messages related to NM after winning and losing a battle. Get the message stating I have won ( or lost ) and then ...[color="Red"]National Morale p (..) [/color]or [color="red"]National Morale (..)[/color]

Pocus

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:49 am

yes, this is intended to show you that, if the message is truncated with (..) you will have the full text in the tooltip. I can perhaps reduce the size of the font if the text is long before truncating it, though...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ross_ntu
Conscript

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:01 am

Pocus wrote:The AI simply don't like to suicide herself, even if Gettysburg is an objective. If you play as the CSA, 'she' will be more aggressive. True, when in inferiority, you will have problem having her reenact the same situation. Also Gettysburg, as it is set, is a very very simple scenario with not much to do, we admit that.

Thanks Pocus - that makes sense. I guess I wasn't sure if I was missing hidden complexity. Never mind - the grand campaign certainly offers plenty of that!

As for patch - I have installed it but hadn't checked to see if it was fixed tbh. I will check again. Thanks for the quick response.

Ross

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:24 am

Pocus wrote:yes, this is intended to show you that, if the message is truncated with (..) you will have the full text in the tooltip. I can perhaps reduce the size of the font if the text is long before truncating it, though...

Thx for the response...but I don't see tooltips for the individual messages.

tc237
Colonel

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:26 pm

The new tooltips are only for certain Event messages.
Usually historical events that give new benefits.
They are in red text.

sval06
Captain

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:47 pm

tc237 wrote:Usually historical events that give new benefits.
They are in red text.

Are you sure about that (benefits linked wit?

In my opinion, the red text shows that you could have a sheet of newspaper with more info by clicking on it, no matter you could have new benefits (or drawbacks or none)... :bonk:

But I can be wrong....in this case: :grr: :sourcil:

Pocus!! Help please :siffle:

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:49 pm

tc237 wrote:The new tooltips are only for certain Event messages.
Usually historical events that give new benefits.
They are in red text.

Understand re: the red historical events messages. My question is re: the red messages after a battle that has an impact on NM but message doesn't finish to state amount of impact. I didn't see on the battle results screen. Not a biggie...just trying to better understand game mechanics. For me, AACW somewhat more of a learning curve than BOA due to bigger map, C&C additions, economics, etc.

Pocus

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:59 pm

Next version will adjust the font size to something smaller in this case, but you should have in the tooltip the full text, if it is truncated (and in case of an historical event, the in-game effects)

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”