lodilefty

AACW {public beta} patch 1.16 Release Candidate 10a - January 13, 2012

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:32 pm

For your enjoyment :)

<link removed>

[color=#ff0000]Army Outliner [added in 1.16 RC10][/color]

• This is a shortcut that will take you directly to your armies (star symbol) present on the map.
  • You see the portrait of the Army, nationality (background color and shield), army leader name and attached corps (diamonds on the side, they give indications in tooltips).
  • The displayed images can be "collapsed" or "expanded" by clicking on the small star to the left of the leader's name.

Other Changes since RC9:

================================================== ========================
AGEod's American Civil War Update 1.16 Release Candidate 10a
January 13, 2012
================================================== ========================
The patch is a comprehensive patch, meaning it can be applied directly over your initial game installation setup version.

• Fixed Trent Affair: CSA notifications, Strings, possible duplicated result
  • Assorted Alias, Event-refeference and Image-Reference corrections (thank you Lafrite for the Python© script checking tools)
  • Riverine transport is now limited to Shallow and Coastal water (was All Water)
  • Fixed graphics errors resulting from Factions DB updates.
  • Corrected parameter in Engineer ability to give correct entrenchment time bonus
  • Fixed bug where land forces could load onto ships in non-adjacent water regions, then unload to non-adjacent land regions [this code was a remnant from versions prior to the ''Distant Unload'' capability]
  • Updated main screen graphics for high resolution systems (1600 x nnnn or higher)
  • Added Army Outliner [as seen in ROP]
  • Added ''LeaderFleetName'' to display name a fleet with a leader [Factions files]
  • Added parameter to prevent ''premature massive retirement'' of leaders
  • Added Alternate Areas for constuction of ships requiring RaiseRule $recHarborWSU [Ironclads, Armored Frigates, Steam Frigates, Monitors]
  • Added parameters to GameLogic.opt to allow modification of Cohesion losses during battles (to help regulate multi-day battles)
    • Values set at defaults, so no behavior changes expected in this patch.

See the Read Me link in your Windows Start Menu for complete changelog.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm continually impressed that you keep making a great game even better. Many thanks from all of us.

I'm a little uncertain about how to use the outliner. I wanted to make the Porfiria Diaz outliner dissapear, and when I clicked in the star he vanished from the list completely. But what would I do if I wanted to get him back?

(And I'm very pleased that for once I remembered to back up my Ken Burns sound mod before I installed the patch).

lodilefty

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Philippe wrote:I'm continually impressed that you keep making a great game even better. Many thanks from all of us.

I'm a little uncertain about how to use the outliner. I wanted to make the Porfiria Diaz outliner dissapear, and when I clicked in the star he vanished from the list completely. But what would I do if I wanted to get him back?

(And I'm very pleased that for once I remembered to back up my Ken Burns sound mod before I installed the patch).

You should see a "line item" star and name at lower right of the remaining Army outlines. Click on his star to expand him again
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

oberst_klink
Lieutenant

Spffing job old chap!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:24 pm

The Pour le Mérite for you has to be invented first for your outstanding commitment and support for the game and the community of AGEOD gamers Steve!

Klink, Oberst
Attachments
Blue Max.jpg
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Don't forget to visit the Gefechtsstand!

Normalguy
Private

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:06 pm

It might be me.....but......

Just upgraded to 10a and now cant get into any of the ledger pages, either through selecting on screen or via the hot keys e.g. F8.

All I get is a flicker on the screen as if the page is being drawn and then instantly wiped.

ETA: This is with a new game ('62 w/Kentucky), turn 1, happens with USA or CSA. When game first starts the ledger pages are accessible but once I use the hot keys E or R to start to cycle through units the problem happens.

lodilefty

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Normalguy wrote:It might be me.....but......

Just upgraded to 10a and now cant get into any of the ledger pages, either through selecting on screen or via the hot keys e.g. F8.

All I get is a flicker on the screen as if the page is being drawn and then instantly wiped.

Make sure you don't have a stack selected [showing in the unit panel]

Known bug, but easy to work around.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Normalguy wrote:It might be me.....but......

If you have a unit selected, right click to de-select; then try your ledger.
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Normalguy
Private

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:18 pm

lodilefty wrote:Make sure you don't have a stack selected [showing in the unit panel]

Known bug, but easy to work around.

OK but it's never happened to me before. Guess I'll have to re-learn how I use the interface or go back to the previous RC. lol.

ETA Went back to RC9 just to see if it made a difference and the bug was gone. So - for me - there's something in RC10 that's introduced that bug. YMMV of course :)

But at least JD has stopped flashing in RC10!!!! :mdr:

lodilefty

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Normalguy wrote:OK but it's never happened to me before. Guess I'll have to re-learn how I use the interface or go back to the previous RC. lol.

ETA Went back to RC9 just to see if it made a difference and the bug was gone. So - for me - there's something in RC10 that's introduced that bug. YMMV of course :)

But at least JD has stopped flashing in RC10!!!! :mdr:

Yes. As I said: known bug identified in beta.

We're faced with a choice: wait for a long time to get a fix, or release "no harm issues" as-is for users until fixes get done....

Reminder: this is a 5 year old game, patches are free, and devs need to sell things to feed their families! :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Normalguy
Private

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:52 pm

lodilefty wrote:Yes. As I said: known bug identified in beta.

We're faced with a choice: wait for a long time to get a fix, or release "no harm issues" as-is for users until fixes get done....

Reminder: this is a 5 year old game, patches are free, and devs need to sell things to feed their families! :)

Dont get me wrong - not complaining, just reporting :)

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Now that I know where to look, the outliner makes much more sense.

I think I'd still prefer to be able to collapse all the images: if you have a lot of generals (e.g. Union side in Bloody Roads South) there are always a few that can't be collapsed. I guess what I'm angling for is the ability to switch back and forth between the new look and the old look: if I'm in geographical thinking mode and see a face in the corner of the map I'll tend to think of it as an army, probably because I'm easily distracted. But trying to change it might break something, and/or might not be worth the effort.

On another note, I don't think I'd ever tried to open the ledger with a unit selected before. Yes, it causes a problem. In my case the ledger flashes on and closes almost instantly. It's certainly not a game-breaker if you know not to do it or what to do if you stumble into it by accident. And I'm glad the patch wasn't delayed to resolve it. But it's a bit disconcerting to realize something like that is in the code, so it would be nice to have it fixed eventually. Just hope fixing it doesn't break something important...

Leibst

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:38 pm

As Normalguy said when you click in the army general then you cannot open the ledger. You have to reload the saved game and then the ledger works. Small bug.
Dont use the pictures meanwhile.

Captain_Orso

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:03 pm

No non nein, you simply have to un-select the unit you are displaying so the Unit Display/Log Display window has the log displaying in it again. The simplest way to do this is by right-clicking on the map anywhere not on a unit/stack. Once you have the log displaying you can open the ledger in the normal way, okay?

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Don't know if this was in any of the recent versions, but I noticed a conflict between the area control flag in Stafford Va. (across the river from Fredericksburg) and the structure symbol (which is also making one of the towns in that region very hard to read).

Was this an issue left over from earlier versions, or is it something old that was removed but that drifted back in? I glanced around the map and it seemed like there were quite a few area control flags that would benefit from being shifted up and to the left. Is this an area by area issue, or is it controlled globally? (To put that in plainer english: do all of the control markers have to be shifted, or can it just be done for areas (like the one I mentioned) where town/depot symbols are covering up part of the control marker. If it's area by area I'll spend some more time staring at the map).

Captain_Orso

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:11 am

There are some issues with icons (siege, blockade, pillaged) and region owner flags being ambiguously or wrongly placed. If you run across any of these, please make a screen shot and report them in this section of the forum.

Captain_Orso

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:17 am

Has anybody else noted that the battles sounds have gone rampant? I'm used to sounds and shouts playing rather mundanely almost relaxed at times. Suddenly while invading on top of a brigade lead my Taylor with a couple of batteries it sounds like a hundred guns firing at once and almost comical.

Edit: This is what it sounds like. If you have a sub-woofer, turn it up first :D

AGEod Amercian Civil War - New Battle Sounds patch level 1.16rc10a

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:20 am

Captain_Orso wrote:Has anybody else noted that the battles sounds have gone rampant? I'm used to sounds and shouts playing rather mundanely almost relaxed at times. Suddenly while invading on top of a brigade lead my Taylor with a couple of batteries it sounds like a hundred guns firing at once and almost comical.

Edit: This is what it sounds like. If you have a sub-woofer, turn it up first :D

AGEod Amercian Civil War - New Battle Sounds patch level 1.16rc10a

Yes, sound is really bad. Yes, my sound sounds exactly like that. It also sounds like it is the sound at the end of a tunnel.

Blutch
Major

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:13 am

Great improvements !

Normalguy
Private

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:10 am

Captain_Orso wrote:No non nein, you simply have to un-select the unit you are displaying so the Unit Display/Log Display window has the log displaying in it again. The simplest way to do this is by right-clicking on the map anywhere not on a unit/stack. Once you have the log displaying you can open the ledger in the normal way, okay?

The Cap'n is right :) it's not a 'biggie' and you soon get used to doing it. As the '1st reporter' for the bug in the public beta you can trust me on this :)

Normalguy
Private

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:41 pm

'61 w/Kentucky
CSA declared cotton embargo and USA declared total blockade on the same turn. Only the blockade is shown as happening in the turn results.

I cant remember if that's normal?

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Normalguy wrote:'61 w/Kentucky
CSA declared cotton embargo and USA declared total blockade on the same turn. Only the blockade is shown as happening in the turn results.

I cant remember if that's normal?

Did you have enough cash to do it? Might still be available.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Normalguy
Private

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:09 pm

MarkCSA wrote:Did you have enough cash to do it? Might still be available.

Yes had enough cash and the option was shown as having been used according to the ledger as far as I can see but.....

.....I've had one or two other weird things happening on my pc today so I am going to do some testing/housekeeping and then a clean install of the game in case something is corrupted somewhere. It's either that or a problem between the seat and the keyboard! :)

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Minor graphics issue.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Update 10a has a minor graphics issue with the lower right lattice, at 1600 and above resolution.

Attached is a fix, more inline with the lower resolutions graphics.

File goes into [color="Red"]AGEod's American Civil War/ACW/Graphics/FrontEnd/Message Panel[/color] folder.
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 am

Can confirm the strange (and very intense) battle sounds as well. Someone has invented the gatling howitzer.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Captain_Orso

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Doomwalker wrote:Update 10a has a minor graphics issue with the lower right lattice, at 1600 and above resolution.

Attached is a fix, more inline with the lower resolutions graphics.

File goes into [color="Red"]AGEod's American Civil War/ACW/Graphics/FrontEnd/Message Panel[/color] folder.

That looks great :w00t:

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Captain_Orso

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:24 pm

MarkCSA wrote:Can confirm the strange (and very intense) battle sounds as well. Someone has invented the gatling howitzer.

Yes, that description kind of hits it on the head.

I had this lil' skirmish run for about a minute and a half yesterday.

My son asked if I didn't want to turn the volume down. I told him "hell no, this is war!" :D

Now to mandatory serious content; in the battle report I noted that Sherman was a 4-star full general, so I loaded the US side and checked. Sure enough, both Grant and Sherman are full generals.

Until now I'd only read that the models were built in for using Grant and Sherman as full generals in modding, plus at least Sherman is in the Atlanta campaign scenario as a full general.

Does this mean that in the full campaigns that you can promote Grant and Sherman to full generals?

Is there a supreme commanding general position in the game now like there was in real-life™ held by Scott, Halleck and then Grant, with McClellan playing around with it a bit in between ;) ?

Do the full generals have any direct or indirect affect on other armies, similar maybe to the way army commanders have on their attached corps?

lodilefty

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Yes, that description kind of hits it on the head.

I had this lil' skirmish run for about a minute and a half yesterday.

My son asked if I didn't want to turn the volume down. I told him "hell no, this is war!" :D

Now to mandatory serious content; in the battle report I noted that Sherman was a 4-star full general, so I loaded the US side and checked. Sure enough, both Grant and Sherman are full generals.

Until now I'd only read that the models were built in for using Grant and Sherman as full generals in modding, plus at least Sherman is in the Atlanta campaign scenario as a full general.

Does this mean that in the full campaigns that you can promote Grant and Sherman to full generals?

Is there a supreme commanding general position in the game now like there was in real-life™ held by Scott, Halleck and then Grant, with McClellan playing around with it a bit in between ;) ?

Do the full generals have any direct or indirect affect on other armies, similar maybe to the way army commanders have on their attached corps?

4 Star possible (Models exist, so promotion possible, if they're not already there) IIRC, there are some events that do this also

CSA: Cooper, Lee

USA: Scott, McClellan, Grant, Sherman

WAD :D
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Captain_Orso

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Doesn't Scott start the game as an Lt.Gen.? He soon fades out just like Cooper more than likely with little notice other than a news paper article. IIRC now, the full generalship is included only as a flavor.

When Grant headed east, he left Sherman in command of the west and Sherman did command the west. After that time neither had their own army; they commanded over the armies in their respective regions. It's unfortunate that the game cannot reflect this by having commanders of grand regions that would give armies in those grand regions some boni. Maybe with AACW-II some day :)

Stonewall Stu
Conscript

New release

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks for all the work, makes the game feel new again with every release candidate

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Issues in the Tournament with rc10a

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:13 am

Here are the bugs tourney players and I am noticing:

1. US General Porter appeared in Levy FL out of the far blue yonder. No one knows how or why he got there.
2. The river between Wilmington and Smithville is blocked by ship's guns. The South can't use that rail line. However, the fleet looks to the CSA like it's out in the bay (unless there's some ghost ships he can't see).
3. The Trent affair event. The alternate event where the USA doesn't release the ambasadors fired, but it's showing the event name instead of a proper string. It also showed the default trent affair event right above the alternate one.
4. Access to the build/ministers panel has been tricky. By now, players have figured out that you can't have a unit displayed in the bottom window in order to open it.

Unless you REALLY need a set of files, I'm not going to post them as I have enough work to do managing the tourney games for now.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”