Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Status of the Wiki

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:38 am

A couple of recent threads have referenced the Wiki:

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Categorized_AACWWiki_index

It is a good document with helpful insights. Certain parts of it are especially helpful.

However, some parts are out of date and some parts are incomplete. For example, there is not nearly enough in it about sieges and supply. In some cases there are better explanations about game concepts in the threads than in the wiki.

As the recent tournament organizer, I have received many requests for explanations about how the game mechanics work. I try to answer these, but find that sometimes I have no clue, and haven't seen the question discussed elsewhere either. We've had many updates since the apparent last wiki update and I'm not sure if game changes from these game updates are reflected in the wiki yet.

All of which brings me (at last! you may say) to my point: I think the Wiki needs an upgrade.

I have no idea how one would go about such a task, and although I'm willing to contribute, I harbor no illusions that I am an adequate AACW scholar, nor do I have the time or skills to lead such an effort.

So .... what can we do about this?

Confederate
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:53 am

What do you mean by...upgrade?
- Confederate

lodilefty

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:42 am

Many of the concepts that are :not up to date" may well be at the AGE Wiki:

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/FAQ:_Concepts_and_Game_Rules_as_coded

I have not done much with AACW Wiki, as we decided to gradually move all the "generic AGE" to AGE Wiki.

I'll be glad to help anyone who wishes to help with AACW Wiki, particularly replacing obsolete articles with links to the new info.

I'd like to see AACW Wiki focus on the AACW Manual, and any "unique" characteristics that are not used in any otther AGE game...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

gchristie
Brigadier General

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Ah, there are wikis and then there are wikis. I overlooked this one and it is packed with information. Thanks Lodilefty for reminding us about this one.

I would offer to help with what Lodilefty is suggesting, though I would need a little coaching I suspect.

Giving back more is one of my New Years resolutions.

Regards,
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:17 pm

The AGE Wiki is indeed packed and helpful. I still think some things are missing, although it's quite possible they're there, and I missed them. For example, I recall that ships adjacent to land units are a supply source for the land units, but I couldn't find that in the Wiki. I also didn't find many details about the tactical mechanics of sieges ... for example, how or if a sortie out works with a friendly stack's move in, or whether a Corps inside fort/city will MTSG, or the role of ships in helping or hindering sieges. Just to list a few, and (again) they may be in there somewhere else.

lodilefty

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Longshanks wrote:The AGE Wiki is indeed packed and helpful. I still think some things are missing, although it's quite possible they're there, and I missed them. For example, I recall that ships adjacent to land units are a supply source for the land units, but I couldn't find that in the Wiki. I also didn't find many details about the tactical mechanics of sieges ... for example, how or if a sortie out works with a friendly stack's move in, or whether a Corps inside fort/city will MTSG, or the role of ships in helping or hindering sieges. Just to list a few, and (again) they may be in there somewhere else.

If there are any good articles in AACW Wiki that cover topic missing from AGE Wiki, please point the out to me, and we'll either copy them or reference/link them....

For instance, almost all of the Modding info in AACW Wiki is questionable, so always refer to AGE for modding.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”