FelixZ
Major

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi Longshanks,

I would like to be considered as an alternate. Am new to this game having only played around with Athena since end of Nov 2011.

I would have joined a week ago except for an email problem. My main email account server would not forward/receive any pre-registration emails from AGEOD. Determined that that server did not have any blocks would affect my account.

Finally used another server a little while ago and easily completed registration. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:09 am

You probably got caught in the "you must post 10 posts before the rest of the forum opens up for you" syndrome.

Ok, you're Alternate #1! Get practicing!!!

And... welcome to the forums! :mdr:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Glitch #1

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:16 am

I thought I'd post a list of the glitches that crop up in the tourney from time to time.

Here's the first one (the first one that doesn't result from my addleheadedness).

I got sent a file that substituted underscores for spaces: Game 4 PL vs LS.ord came to me as Game_4_PL_vs_LS.ord . Okay, I should have noticed, but I didn't. So I process the turn, and send the files. We do it again, and by now the player is noticing that none of his orders are going through! It took a few looks, but I figured it out. Once I removed the underscores, the ORD file worked fine.

Anyone know a fix for this player's machine, which changes the file names?

Durk

Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:15 am

Longshanks wrote:I thought I'd post a list of the glitches that crop up in the tourney from time to time.

Here's the first one (the first one that doesn't result from my addleheadedness).

I got sent a file that substituted underscores for spaces: Game 4 PL vs LS.ord came to me as Game_4_PL_vs_LS.ord . Okay, I should have noticed, but I didn't. So I process the turn, and send the files. We do it again, and by now the player is noticing that none of his orders are going through! It took a few looks, but I figured it out. Once I removed the underscores, the ORD file worked fine.

Anyone know a fix for this player's machine, which changes the file names?

My fix is to remove the spaces. I had problems with this open formatting across different processors. The game is still early, so can rerun if needed.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:42 am

If any of you were to make an AAR of any of these games, well, I'm sure it would be read.

charlesonmission

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:24 am

I second that. I'm finishing up a massive one currently, so I don't feel I can do just another one just yet. However, maybe someone will be inspired to give an AAR a good go!

Charles

H Gilmer3 wrote:If any of you were to make an AAR of any of these games, well, I'm sure it would be read.

FelixZ
Major

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Longshanks,

Email problem was not number of posts. As I did not receive an email with a registration link was not able to complete registration - the result being that I could not post! Was able to login but only had access to Guest privileges!

Using this as a qualifying post.

FelixZ
Major

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi Longshanks,

Do have a situation to address. I use an Apple Mac. So do not have the latest patch.

Not sure what is different. The only change I see is early ironclads. Would a gentlemans agreement serve to work around?

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Best of luck gentlemen, wish I could join, but this whole employment thing would make my participation spotty at best. Don't go into Treasury Consulting, kids.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:50 pm

FelixZ wrote:Hi Longshanks,

Do have a situation to address. I use an Apple Mac. So do not have the latest patch.

Not sure what is different. The only change I see is early ironclads. Would a gentlemans agreement serve to work around?

I imagine we could work that out if it comes to it.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Durk wrote:My fix is to remove the spaces. I had problems with this open formatting across different processors. The game is still early, so can rerun if needed.

The guy having the problem figured it out: if he uses the ZIP file approach he has no problem with underscores. If he uses direct attachment of ORD files, underscores appear. So, ZIP files it is.

gchristie
Brigadier General

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 pm

My understanding of such things is that it is always best to zip the file as doing so preserves file integrity. So I always do. It at least reduces file size and download time.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

lodilefty

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Longshanks wrote:I imagine we could work that out if it comes to it.

If he's running 1.15, then so must his opponent.....

I have no idea how to generate a Mac patch :(
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

RC8 and Builds West of the Mississippi

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Those of you checking Lodilefty's posts in the Improve AACW folder will know that RC8 is due out in a week or so, possibly this weekend.

LL says that it will be compatible with RC7 which we're playing in the tourney. Please DO NOT upgrade your tournament version of the game, until you get the word from me, because we'd like everyone to be on the same version of course!

I expect we'll pick a time that gives everyone a couple of days to complete the upgrade. Like, e.g., if it comes out Friday night, we'll agree that all turns submitted to the hosts after midnight GMT on Sunday will be in the new format, or something like that. OK?

On a second matter: Those of you currently playing should realize that RC7 has somewhat restricted "heavy" builds west of the Mississippi, as well as infantry/militia builds in areas not very loyal to you.

If someone wants to summarize those build changes in a short post here, it would be most helpful!!!

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:15 pm

Longshanks wrote:
On a second matter: Those of you currently playing should realize that RC7 has somewhat restricted "heavy" builds west of the Mississippi, as well as infantry/militia builds in areas not very loyal to you.

If someone wants to summarize those build changes in a short post here, it would be most helpful!!!

Hasn't that been explained in short in the appropriate threads?

RC 5 http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23195
RC 6 http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23493
RC 7 http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23543

Bottomline is that you need to control a city that produces warsupply in order to bring pure artillery brigades or ironclads into service in any state. If you order such an effective in a state where this condition isnt met it will appear in a different state.

I can only add from experience that due to bugsquashing it has now become much more unlikely (7 tries, zippo success) to capture the Cairo batteries from the Union.

FelixZ
Major

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi Lodilefty,

Are you confirming that the Mac build was based on 1.15?

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Current Status of Games

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm hosting 3 games, two of which are active and one is yet to start (due to the departure of one of the players.

Both of the active games are currently on the L Jun 61 turn. Both games would have progressed more quickly, but one had a player out for a few days and the other has had nomenclature problems (the game keeps ignoring his ORD file!) which has caused us to replay several turns.

In both active games, there have been several battles over Manassas, and one in each over Harper's Ferry. Virginia is a coveted prize! Missouri is mostly quiet, and in one game Cairo was invaded. I haven't monitored builds much except to make sure no one is using Full or Partial Mobilization during 1861.

If you others who are hosting would post something similar, I'd appreciate it, as would those who are following along.

I plan to post these updates at least once a week.

Altaris

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:49 pm

I'm hosting a game with Citizen X (CSA) and Seraphim (USA). This game has had lots of action, and is currently in Turn 12 (Late Sept. 1861). The Union is doing pretty well so far, winning out in Harper's Ferry and Manassas. CSA briefly took Cairo, but was savagely trapped and beaten by Lyon a turn later. Since then, Lyon advanced and took Charleston, MO, but just this last turn was beaten in an assault. Remains to be seen how this will play out. KY is still neutral for the time being.

USA launched a big invasion from Fort Pickens, but it has stalled fairly quickly after taking Pensacola.

Good game, both these guys are very good and very aggressive. I'm eager to see their strategies in play once the big armies get ramped up in 1862.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:53 am

Altaris wrote:Good game, both these guys are very good and very aggressive. I'm eager to see their strategies in play once the big armies get ramped up in 1862.

Thanks for the flowers.

But I am not aggressive. I am forward defending. :dada:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Game Updates Thursday Dec 22

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm a bit early on my update this week, but that's because I'll be on the road for a week and now's the most convenient time. (I'll have a laptop and wifi hotspot with me, so game hosting will continue.)

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne CSA vs GChristie USA CSA=111, USA=89
49-33 City VPs per turn, respectively.
467 - 278 VP score, respectively.
Waiting on the L Aug 61 orders.
This matchup was slated to be in the "Premier League" and it hasn't disappointed so far.
They've had one big battle, in Alexandria, which resulted in a Union victory for +4 (or 5 I didn't write it down) National Morale.
Here is GChristie's take on it: "Well, I am pleasantly surprised with the performance of McDowell's men. They were set to hold at all costs, and the results of the entrenched guns was devastating. Bory took 235 hits to McDowell's 22 and another 18 in his backside as he retreated." Cleburne's take was, well, not so sanguine. However, Manassas is still in Rebel hands, as is Harper's Ferry. Elsewhere, Kentucky is still neutral, and Missouri is entirely in Union hands. The Union Navy sits in both parts of the James River.

Rudolf USA vs Blindsniper CSA CSA=111 NM, USA=79
32-50 City VPs per turn, respectively.
348 - 539 VP score, respectively.
Waiting on the L Oct 61 turn. All of Virginia is in confederate hands except for Ft. Monroe, the Union having just recently been evicted in L Sep, following battles in Manassas and Alexandria. The Union navy sits in both parts of the James. Kentucky is still neutral, but Lyons took Island #10 in E Aug 61 by coup. He now sits there with a division and with Grant's division, staring down Polk. Missouri is divided, with Springfield and Charleston still in Confederate hands.

GabrielK CSA vs MoniKerr USA CSA=101, USA=87
49-32 City VPs per turn, respectively.
143 - 187 VP score, respectively.
Waiting on E Jun 61 turn, so this one is early yet. Two new players moving cautiously in the early stages. Manassas still in CSA hands, Harper's Ferry still in USA hands. All of Missouri south of the Missouri river still in CSA hands except St. Louis.

Dixicrat
General

Good job!

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:35 am

I like your updates and summaries a lot, Longshanks.

I've not seen anyone do it before, but it makes sense, in a "why didn't I think of that?" kind of way.

Good job, on the tournament! :)

@Our Gracious Queen: might we upgrade Longshank's medal with the frost of coolness? I haven't seen a tourny ever run quite like Longshanks is doing it, and he has some great ideas. Better yet, they seem to be working.

@Longshanks & Company: Rock on, continue in coolness, fight the good fight, etc., etc. ;)
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]
Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

Altaris

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:09 pm

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's the situation in the Citizen X (CSA) vs Seraphim (USA) game, as on Turn 19, Early Jan, 1862. (Screenshot is from the CSA perspective).

As you can see, this is a very close game, Seraphim is doing well on all fronts, having penetrated into Northern Virginia, across the Mississippi, and with a strong position in Pensacola.

[ATTACH]16935[/ATTACH]
Attachments
CitizenX vs Seraphim 1862-01.jpg

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:24 pm

In such games, its going to be interesting to see how the VP victory condition affects the winner, since we end in mid-July 63 (about a year and half away). see the CSA has taken a chunk more losses than the USA. Losses affect the VP total, but I confess I'm not exactly sure how much. I'll post a separate thread on that item, which might prove helpful for players.

deguerra
Major

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:01 am

Hosting charlesonmission (CSA) vs Durk (USA).

Late April 1862
USA - VPs: 727, NM: 61
CSA - VPs: 1199, NM: 128

The CSA has taken most of southern Missouri in an early, aggressive and powerful campaign on that front, and captured St. Louis sometime in late 1861. The USA decided to invade Kentucky and the state is fairly evenly split and hotly contested by both sides. In the east, the Confederacy continues to hold Manassas and Fredericksburg, but the Union has captured Norfolk and has units at the gates of Richmond. Finally, the two sides continue to battle in small-scale amphibious invasion of southern Georgia.

Overall, I'd say the score very poorly reflects the character of the game so far. Durk has been playing a very aggressive and multi-focused strategy and (in my inexpert opinion) got unlucky on a few battles. Moreover, despite his now somewhat precarious NM position, he has denied charles a killing blow by keeping him on edge in several places. In turn, charles clearly knows the CSA very well and has famously defended it into 1866 (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=22871). The speed and strength of his Missouri campaign simply astounded me, being someone who has only played a few games against the AI.

Both these guys are truly masterful players to be watching, and I've learnt a whole lot from being able to peek in on their game! :thumbsup:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Update Needed!

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:49 am

You need to update some game files to prevent premature entrench-ulation.

See http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=225149&postcount=84

This is a required upgrade for tournament players!

charlesonmission

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:48 am

For what it is worth, without giving away too much, I didn't have any problems with the new "build rules" for the MO campaign. I.e., I didn't feel like the build rules limited my options there.

Charles

deguerra wrote:Hosting charlesonmission (CSA) vs Durk (USA).

Late April 1862
USA - VPs: 727, NM: 61
CSA - VPs: 1199, NM: 128

The CSA has taken most of southern Missouri in an early, aggressive and powerful campaign on that front, and captured St. Louis sometime in late 1861. The USA decided to invade Kentucky and the state is fairly evenly split and hotly contested by both sides. In the east, the Confederacy continues to hold Manassas and Fredericksburg, but the Union has captured Norfolk and has units at the gates of Richmond. Finally, the two sides continue to battle in small-scale amphibious invasion of southern Georgia.

Overall, I'd say the score very poorly reflects the character of the game so far. Durk has been playing a very aggressive and multi-focused strategy and (in my inexpert opinion) got unlucky on a few battles. Moreover, despite his now somewhat precarious NM position, he has denied charles a killing blow by keeping him on edge in several places. In turn, charles clearly knows the CSA very well and has famously defended it into 1866 (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=22871). The speed and strength of his Missouri campaign simply astounded me, being someone who has only played a few games against the AI.

Both these guys are truly masterful players to be watching, and I've learnt a whole lot from being able to peek in on their game! :thumbsup:

Altaris

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Status update for the Citizen X (CSA) vs Seraphim (USA) game. It is now Turn 27 (Early May 1862), and the USA is quickly bridging the VP gap, but they still have a VP/turn deficit of 8 points, and need about 75 net point gains to overcome the CSA lead.

[ATTACH]16967[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

New Year's Day Tourney Update!

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Here is the latest on the three games I'm hosting.

Pat Cleburne (CSA) v GChristie (USA) - only one turn since last update due to unforeseen requirements of real life. They're ready to send in orders for E Sept 61.

Rudolf (USA) v Blindsniper (CSA)
awaiting E Apr 62 orders
69 NM v 112 NM
37 VP/turn v 49 VP/turn (from cities)
714 v 931 total VPs (the gap is now 217, compared to 191 in L Oct 61)
32,078 v 26,763 combat losses
These guys are cranking out about a turn a day, even over the holidays. You go!
The Union has taken Harper's Ferry and Winchester, and James City but the rest of Virginia is in Rebel hands except for Ft Monroe. Lee sits poised to strike James City and Ft. Monroe, with a strong superiority. Both sides are well defended across the Potomac, but with the Shenandoah in Union hands (the Strasburg depot was blown and is not a factor), who knows what will occur in Northern VA?
The Yanks sent Hooker to launch sea invasions. He's taken Ft. Pulaski GA outside Savannah, and just took Ft. Macon NC next to Morehead. The long-term effect of these moves remains to be seen.
Kentucky Joined the Union on E Nov 61, without having ever been invaded. The Union occupied most of Kentucky quickly and now owns all except Prestonsburg and the notable exceptions of Paducah and Columbus. Grant took his division out of Island#10 and took Humboldt and moved on Ft. Donelson, but was repulsed and is now on ships heading back North. Sidney Johnston tried to take back Island#10 but failed. Joe Johnston is in the vicinity now too with the same goal in mind. Lyons remains on Island#10, well entrenched. Thomas tried a run a Nashville, but was repulsed and the front has settled on Bowling Green (Union) and Nashville (Rebs).
In Missouri, Price moved north and took Springfield and Van Dorn grabbed Lexington MO. But now the Union seems to be building up there.
Little ship to ship action at sea or on the rivers.
My read is that the Union had the initiative in Kentucky, but has lost it now - but is certainly capable of taking it back. The same, in reverse, can be said for Virginia. Lee seems poised to clear the peninsula, but the Shenandoah is in Union hands, and that's a flanking position. Hooker goes where he wants and takes what he wants, but will it matter? Just over a year to go, and far from settled.

MoniKerr (USA) vs GabrielK (CSA)
awaiting E Oct 61 orders
81 NM v 108 NM
32 VP/turn v 52 VP/turn (from cities)
337 v 491 total VPs
21,742 v 27,481 combat losses
A wild and mobile game!
The CSA is attacking the north on all fronts. In Virginia, Jackson took Harper's Ferry, and USA General Griffin died in the battle. Not content with that, CSA troops moved deep into Pennsylvania all the way to Wilmington Delaware, in an arc from H's Ferry to York to Lancaster to Wilmington, with Jackson leading the way. Meanwhile the CSA invaded Illinois and put Longstreet in charge. He failed to take Cairo and retreated into Missouri, but then moved back into Illinois. The USA invaded KY in late August and rapidly took most of it, currently holding all but Bowling Green and Columbus. Price has moved to Vienna MO, but Rolla and Jefferson City seem unlikely to fall.
Here were the newspaper headlines for the results of the E Aug 61 turn:
4 National Morale Switches Hands!
McDowell Repels Beauregard at Alexandria! 11,000 Dead and Wounded!
CSA Expands Invasion of Pennsylvania!
Wallace Checks Smith at Harrisburg! 2,000 Dead and Wounded!
Jackson Moves to Delaware!
Lyons Wipes Rebel Invasion Force at Salem Illinois!
Sumner Holds Jeff City Against Price!

And the headlines for the results of the L Sept 61 turn:
Johnston Defeated at Alexandria! Heavy Losses on Both Sides!
Jackson Gathers Rebel Army in Lancaster PA - Yanks Move to Block His Escape Path!
Union Advances in Shenandoah! Mansfield Takes Strasburg!

There has been no action on sea invasions, probably because of the CSA invasion of PA. GabrielK has been able to maintain his aggressive moves for 3 full months. He's escaped several close calls, but the Union seems to be hell-bent-for-leather to trap Jackson in Lancaster. If they do, the game may turn on that. Longstreet's motives seem unclear at the moment. Is he a diversion or a real threat? MoniKerr has kept his cool and not made any mistakes of note. This game seems up for grabs.

colonel hurst
Corporal

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:22 pm

I love following the tourney results and all the different ideas these different generals have.

Thanks to Longshanks and all the other hosts!

If only I had a Windows computer...

Blind Sniper
Sergeant

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Great reports guys, you are doing a very good job! :)

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”