Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

2011 Winter Holidays World AACW Championship

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:47 pm

2011 Winter Holidays World AACW Championship

I think an AACW tourney is overdue, especially with all the improvements since the last one. So, I'm volunteering to run one for all of you, if you like.

Here's the deal......

Tournament Format
There will be a two-game minimum, "you're in until you've lost two games" format, with the field split into players from both Europe and Western Hemisphere (mostly because of time zone issues), with the winner of each international bracket to take on the other guy for world bragging rights in a final "championship" game.

This will be PBEM, obviously, using the latest versions 1.16rc5 or later as of a date certain.

Turns will be resolved by a third party, not the involved players. This means both players will send their turns to another player who will actually press the "complete turn" button and then send out the results. I'll ask for volunteers, as we'll need one per game, which is half the total number of players.

Players will get to (have to) play each side at least once, unless circumstances prevent (i.e. the CSA or USA wins all the games!). Match ups from round to round will be based on who won which game (i.e. we'll seek to have CSA winner play a USA winner) and on the final victory point total.

After the first two rounds, players will continue to switch sides from game to game unless two are matched up who both won their previous game as the same side. In that case, they can agree which side to play, or tournament leader will decide (based on previous performance) and inform them. In the event there is an uneven number of players, the player with the earliest win date (for games ending before July 63), or highest VP point total, will get a "bye."

As players will be initially seeded, and there will be alternating of "colors" (i.e., USA or CSA), and players will not replay each other (until possibly the final bracket round), this is sometimes called a Norwegian-style double elimination tournament, at least as I understand such complexities.

Scenario
The scenario will be April 1861 Full Campaign with KY, played only through the July 1863 turn unless one side defeats his opponent before then, or the opponent resigns for any reason. Players are encouraged to complete one turn per day, but three per week will be the minimum. Any player unable to submit three turns within a week will forfeit that game, but may otherwise continue. However, because of the holiday schedule and other demands of "real life," players can agree to "bank" some turns by completing, say, 6 turns in one week and then getting a week off. The third party referee must agree to return the results of a turn to the players within 24 hours.

House Rules
Tournament House Rules will be as follows:
1. No one may use Partial or Full Mobilization before 1862. Starting in E Jan 62, have at it.
2. House rule for raiding in the border states: KS, MO, KY, WV, MD, DE = do as you please. (Sioux Uprising units also exempt from the following rules due to the distance involved.)
3. Units in all other states (except your own of course) must have leader plus 1+ units of any type, or be within two regions of a friendly leader. (Note: Players may therefore not send leaders without units into enemy territories.)
4. Raid rule lifted within a non-border state once you own/control a Size 1+ city (not just a fort) there. If you subsequently have no cities in that state, raid rule is re-imposed.
5. Units that no longer meet requirements due to losses must go G/G Evade and head to nearest friendly region without taking any other actions until they comply. If a player is able to re-establish leader control over the unit, he may regain full control over the units as before.

Game Settings:
1. One redeployment per turn is allowed.
2. Attrition settings will be on the "middle" setting (historical attrition), which means replacements will have to be acquired at depots (mostly).
3. Naval is on left-most box (standard).
4. Delayed Commitment on second box from left (small delay).
5. Foreign Entry on second box from left (normal entry).
6. Fog of War box checked (on).
7. Activation on second box from left (some penalty).

How to Enter and Timing
1. We will start the tournament one week or so after the initial post. Players should post a reply indicating they want to participate. Longshanks will then send his email to you via an in-game message and we'll exchange that info.
2. Slots will remain open for one more week for "late starts." After that, the tourney is closed.
3. Results of games will be posted here.
4. Second round games will begin as legitimate matches become possible. In other words, this is not a "seeded" tournament during the first two rounds.

Other Notes
Anyone is eligible to play, providing they agree to abide by the tournament rules and play at least two games.
This is a tournament for fun, and we expect everyone to be chivalrous, gentlemanly (or lady-like), and honorable.
No pouting, whining, complaining etc. I ain't your mama. Reasoned rationales and appeals will be honored.
Game bugs, changes, etc. will be dealt with as they occur, but we won't go back and replay mulitple turns or entire games because of them.
Longshanks is running the tournament and will not be playing in it, unless unforeseen circumstances and common sense demand it. In no case is he eligible to win the tourney.
Longshanks' decisions are final, but he will first appeal to the designers, forum leaders, and non-participating "pros" to the extent they'll tolerate him.

FAQ
1. I don't know how to play a PBEM/ I'm too new/ I'm not good enough/ etc. Should I play anyway?
Sure! The game is at its best against a human player. To the extent possible Longshanks will pair up novices against each other in the first round especially.
2. How long will this take?
Hard to say for sure. At three turns per week minimum, a game lasting until July 63 could take 9 weeks. If there are five rounds, that's maybe 45 weeks total! Everyone's guaranteed two games, so that would be a maximum of 18 weeks. Of course, games might go much faster.
3. I'm already in a PBEM game. Can you wait until I finish it?
Well, no actually! But you can play two PBEMs at once, of course. You and your gaming partner could suspend your game for a while and both enter the tournament too!
4. Would you consider adding my favorite/better House Rule?
Let's hear it, but SOON! I won't add anything that further complicates the game, unless it's a quick consensus among the participants to do so.
5. What if there are, say, eight American/Canadian players and only two from Europe (or vice-versa)? That wouldn't be fair!
All's fair and love and war, but such a situation would leave doubt in some peoples' minds I expect.
6. Why don't you play the shorter scenarios instead during the first round or two?
Thought about it, but folks are more familiar with the Grand Campaign imho.
7. The setup is unfair to the USA, who doesn't have enough time to overcome the CSA's early VP total if the game ends in July 1863!
Could you state that as a question, please? My answer is: "a good Union player has enough time." Remember, in a regular PBEM game, both sides are usually going for the total defeat. VPs don't play much of a role, and so players will spend them on mobilizations, taxes, Army general switches, etc, etc. without too much care. In this tournament VPs DO matter, so watch it, buddy! Also, participants will have to play both sides, so hopefully any advantages will even out over the long haul.
8. So why aren't you playing, Longshanks? Chicken? Bwak, BWAAAACK!
I'd love to, but someone has to be the moderator, and if I were to play like everyone else the temptation to focus on my game and screw the rest of you would be, well, unchivalrous. So, I'll play in a pinch, but that's it. I'm not eligible.
9. Should we write an AAR?
If you're so inclined, yes! Yes! YES!
10. Can you be bribed to set me up against some noob whom I can crush like an overripe grape in the first round?
Nope, I have a closet full of Bourbon and married a sweet Alabama girl. I gots all I need. I hope the noob beats you, too!
11. How do I get the bounty advertised in the recruiting poster?
Certainly not from me! Go see your local army recruiter!

Addition: Victory Points play a prominent role in this tourney! VPs will be counted at the end of the game at the start of the Early Aug 63 turn, following the completion of the last turn of our games, Late July 63.

Confederate
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Man, I wish my game worked.
- Confederate

lodilefty

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Confederate wrote:Man, I wish my game worked.

Me too!

You have a PM.... :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

charlesonmission

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:05 am

Longshanks,

Thanks for doing this.

I'm in!

Charles

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:36 am

I've been on a bit of an AACW hiatus, but I'll play.

deguerra
Major

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:47 am

hmmm...I have neither the confidence nor the time to actually partake, but if there's any helping out I could be doing on the admin side of things, let me know!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:57 pm

thanks, all.

Deguerra, if we get a quorum, I'd like you to be the "third party" referee that completes the turns. I'll post you about it before we start. Thanks!

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Count me in.
I would add to the houserules, that leader deployment can't be used to send leaders or HQs in or out of regions with enemy presence.

Blind Sniper
Sergeant

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to join the tournament even if I'm a newbie.

If understand correctly we will play one game at a time, is it right?

deguerra
Major

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 am

Longshanks wrote:thanks, all.

Deguerra, if we get a quorum, I'd like you to be the "third party" referee that completes the turns. I'll post you about it before we start. Thanks!

Sounds good. One (other) issue I should raise though is that I'm in 'stralia. So time zone differences will exist, and may hamper particularly speedy turn resolves if I'm the one doing it. I'm more than happy to, if you guys are, but just as an FYI.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:09 am

deguerra wrote:Sounds good. One (other) issue I should raise though is that I'm in 'stralia. So time zone differences will exist, and may hamper particularly speedy turn resolves if I'm the one doing it. I'm more than happy to, if you guys are, but just as an FYI.

Set up a drop box between you two and you could have 24 hour turn resolution capabilities.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:34 am

BlindSniper: yes, each participant will only play one game at a time, but of course there will be several games among other participants going simultaneously.

Durk

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:18 am

I am in as a player or a host or both, however you configure it.
Durk

deguerra
Major

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:38 am

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:Set up a drop box between you two and you could have 24 hour turn resolution capabilities.

Oh yes, anything like 24h would definitely not be a problem.

charlesonmission

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:41 am

Could I convince the people out there that the full activation rule would be the way to go?

Charles

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:09 am

charlesonmission wrote:Could I convince the people out there that the full activation rule would be the way to go?

Charles

Not me. However, I wouldn't put up resistance against such a decision.

gchristie
Brigadier General

I'm in

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:10 pm

A bit rusty perhaps, as I've waited for the official 1.16 patch to come to fruition, but still full of the fight.

Awaiting orders... :gardavou:

And thanks for pulling this together.

Contrary to my avowed "location" I happily reside within the GMT -4 time zone.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Six and counting ...

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:54 pm

We have 6 players as of this post. I've sent a in-forum message to all of you asking for some details (except for CitizenX, as I've played him before and have the info already).

I've also posted a notice on the PBEM Forum, so maybe we'll pick up a couple more.

I'm going to wait until the end of the week, or as soon as we get enough Euro players (only one so far and I'd like to have at least 4). If we don't get them, we'll collapse the current group (which has only one European player) into a single group and start. If we have a couple of late-comers, we'll add them in too.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:56 am

Would it make sense to play with easy FI since we're only going to 1863? Could spice things up.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:11 am

Easy FI* would definitely spice things up, but probably swing the game too much in the CSA's favor, so not this time ... unless .... well I'll speak of it more in a later post. :cool:

*Foreign Intervention for those of you wondering. Or perhaps it's Ford-Prefect's Interdiction, I forget.

charlesonmission

Which beta?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:23 am

Longshanks, have you decided which beta? I would assume it is the latest, but wanted to confirm.

Charles

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:35 pm

We'll use 1.16RC7

see: http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/tem..._v1.16_rc7.zip

Four points:

1. we'll help AACW by playtesting the changes - hopefully we won't find problems, but you never know.
2. I know that CitizenX is less enthusiastic about the changes in 7, so I hope he sticks with us on this.
3. I remind you that you can have multiple AACW installations. If you want to keep your current version active, you can by installing another copy and adding RC7 to it.
4. I think we ALSO have to substitute an artillery file after 7 is added ... I'm asking Lodilefty if that's still true, or is it part of the patch now? (I'll add instructions otherwise.)

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Sure, I stick with it.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Very much interested; I don't think I am yet able to host pbem with my current Windows 7 ultimate set-up however.

lodilefty

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Longshanks wrote:We'll use 1.16RC7

see: http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/tem..._v1.16_rc7.zip

Four points:

4. I think we ALSO have to substitute an artillery file after 7 is added ... I'm asking Lodilefty if that's still true, or is it part of the patch now? (I'll add instructions otherwise.)

Yes, sorry I missed it :(

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=222916&postcount=14
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:Very much interested; I don't think I am yet able to host pbem with my current Windows 7 ultimate set-up however.

Actually, you won't have to host, as I'll be doing all that. All you have to do is send me your ORD files!

So, can I count you as "in"?

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:07 pm

Maybe you want to post the announcement on the forums for other languages, too?

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Getting Ready by Updating

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:11 am

First, upgrade to 1.16rc7 as per the link in my post above.

Second, follow these instructions to repair the incorrect artillery files, as per Lodilefty's post elsewhere:

"Oops. I found a minor glitch with the CSA Coastal Artillery (again)

Extract the attached into ACW\GameData\Units
3 files will be overwritten.

Then be sure to delete fie: Units.cached (in same directory.)
Restart AACW after doing both ."

Attached Files

That should get you ready!!!
Attachments
87CSA_Coastal Artillery.zip
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:12 am

Citizen X wrote:Maybe you want to post the announcement on the forums for other languages, too?

I'm unfamiliar with that territory! Would you be willing to help do that, please?

Aphrodite Mae

A brief message from the Queen

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 am

Longshanks wrote:Easy FI* would definitely spice things up, but probably swing the game too much in the CSA's favor, so not this time ... unless .... well I'll speak of it more in a later post. :cool:

*Foreign Intervention for those of you wondering. Or perhaps it's Ford-Prefect's Interdiction, I forget.

:mdr:
Thanks for a giggle, Longshanks!

Longshanks, I admire bold and daring leadership like you've exhibited here, so let's sweeten the pot to make men rally to your cause! You may announce that if you have at least a dozen men participating in your tournament, the Queen will award a free game to the winner! :)

I'll also award a specially designed medal to all who participate in the "Longshanks Campaign" until they're eliminated. :)

Last but not least:
For all gentlemen who host tournament games until its completion, know that you'll receive a Service medal, from the Queen!
Furthermore, if you "save" a game that you have hosted (i.e., resolve a problem that would have otherwise ruined the game, had it not been hosted), then you'll receive a bronze leaf to add to your medal!

Have a great time, gentlemen! :)

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”