Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:15 pm

As those of us in the States wrap up the 150th anniversary of L Nov 61, we get to celebrate a holiday - Thanksgiving - that was formally recognized by Abraham Lincoln several times during his administration. You see it in the game during 1863 IIRC.

Our best holiday, IMO, because truly we've been blessed and we should be thankful for it. Plus, it's a four-day weekend for many of us, and lots of good football games, to be a bit more worldly about it!

So Happy Thanksgiving to Rebs and Yanks alike!

Jim-NC

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:41 pm

And not overly commercialized yet either.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PhilThib

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:34 am

Happy Black Friday to all... :cool: ... we won't make it too commercial this year either :mdr:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:05 pm

I know I'll be buying ALL AGEOD's games today!!! (psyche!)

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:26 pm

* burp *

Let us be thankful for the privilege of living in the most blessed nation in history.

If I may:

The game we play recreates the most awful period in US history. We could have avoided this, in many ways. The best way would have been to enshrine the principles of the Declaration for all men in this nation, from the very start. We didn't, the nettles were too thorny. It was truly more important to get the nation off to a good start. We tabled it, but some knew even then, that at least we had the principles on the record, that all men are created equal, that liberty is the most precious gift of all. These ideas would be a beacon to eventually light the gloomiest cabins in the quarters of the slaves.

Some were afraid that we would pay a heavy price eventually for not extending liberty to all. Unfortunately, they were right. The American genius for compromise, for living with each other amidst disagreements, failed in 1861.

Every drop of blood raised by the lash of a master was paid for with one due to a sword. Yes, we failed; then we got up and righted a profound wrong.

And then we became one nation again, a nation that eventually could hardly understand that we had killed each other by the tens of thousands and sunk billions into waste and destruction.

But we righted the wrong. We died to make men free. We cleansed our sin, so that we truly could become, as Lincoln said, "the last best hope of mankind."

God bless our troops. God bless all Americans and all guests at our table.

And may God always bestow his love and favor on the United States of America, which He has never forsaken.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Aphrodite Mae

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks for a sweet and thought provoking post, GraniteStater! :)

Dixicrat
General

...yet

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:35 am

Jim-NC wrote:And not overly commercialized yet either.

"Yet".

Rest assured, Jim: as soon as corporate America figures out how to effectively exploit the holiday in the name of greed, we'll have Thanksgiving t-shirts, Thanksgiving cups at Burger King ("collect all seven!"), telemarketers calling you at dinner time to invite you to take advantage of a money-saving Thanksgiving offer ("Only available for a limited time! Act TODAY!! ...Sorry, limit 12 per customer..."), Thanksgiving toys, Thanksgiving movies, Thanksgiving bumper stickers, Thanksgiving junk mail, Thanksgiving commercials, and on and on and on and on.

Boy, I just can't wait. :non:

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:18 am

Dixicrat wrote:"Yet".

Rest assured, Jim: as soon as corporate America figures out how to effectively exploit the holiday in the name of greed, we'll have Thanksgiving t-shirts, Thanksgiving cups at Burger King ("collect all seven!"), telemarketers calling you at dinner time to invite you to take advantage of a money-saving Thanksgiving offer ("Only available for a limited time! Act TODAY!! ...Sorry, limit 12 per customer..."), Thanksgiving toys, Thanksgiving movies, Thanksgiving bumper stickers, Thanksgiving junk mail, Thanksgiving commercials, and on and on and on and on.

Boy, I just can't wait. :non:

A telemarketer called my house on Thanksgiving evening. I was not amused...

Jim-NC

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:A telemarketer called my house on Thanksgiving evening. I was not amused...

And thus it begins. :(

After the whole black friday starting at 10PM thing, I can't say I'm surprised.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sieben
Private

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:19 am

GraniteStater wrote:Some were afraid that we would pay a heavy price eventually for not extending liberty to all. Unfortunately, they were right. The American genius for compromise, for living with each other amidst disagreements, failed in 1861.

Every drop of blood raised by the lash of a master was paid for with one due to a sword. Yes, we failed; then we got up and righted a profound wrong.

And then we became one nation again, a nation that eventually could hardly understand that we had killed each other by the tens of thousands and sunk billions into waste and destruction.

But we righted the wrong. We died to make men free. We cleansed our sin, so that we truly could become, as Lincoln said, "the last best hope of mankind."

Spoken like a true abolitionist. Has it ever occurred to you that the whole bloody conflict could have been avoided if only cooler heads had prevailed? That the nation(s) need not have rushed to war, driven by the Southern fire-eating chivalry and the Northern radicals? That Buchanan, in the waning days of his presidency, could have defused the looming crisis by simply withdrawing Federal troops from Ft. Sumter and Pickens? Perhaps, given a bit more time, our "American genius for compromise" could have achieved just that.
A soldier has a hard life, and but little consideration.
Robert E. Lee, 1855, in a letter to his wife.

Sieben
Private

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:25 am

Sorry, double post. Posting here is chancy at best, at least for me.

Confederate
Lieutenant

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:26 am

@Sieben - LOL. double-post

Sieben
Private

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:27 am

Confederate wrote:@Sieben - LOL. double-post

Yes, I noticed, jerkoff. Is that all you have to contribute? :wacko:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:30 am

GraniteStater wrote:* burp *
We died to make men free. We cleansed our sin, so that we truly could become, as Lincoln said, "the last best hope of mankind."

Lol. You're drunk again. But you may be true as politics gift people with beautiful and dread bullshit stories to make them kill each other.
Most Black men believed the story too.
But think about: Many slaves still prefered to fight for their known south masters instead of having to find northern ones, maybe worst, to survive. And after the war they actually had to find one...
Prison (mostly Blacks in..), waged labor, or compelled to being hobo is the US definition of freedom. And I only speak about internal politics..

charlesonmission

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:45 am

I'm currently reading Two Roads to Sumter by Bruce and William Catton, it is an excellent piece of work.

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Roads-Sumter-Abraham-Jefferson/dp/078581597X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322628223&sr=8-1

Charles

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 am

ERISS wrote:Lol. You're drunk again. But you may be true as politics gift people with beautiful and dread bullshit stories to make them kill each other.
Most Black men believed the story too.
But think about: Many slaves still prefered to fight for their known south masters instead of having to find northern ones, maybe worst, to survive. And after the war they actually had to find one...
Prison (mostly Blacks in..), waged labor, or compelled to being hobo is the US definition of freedom. And I only speak about internal politics..

Who's drunk? :neener:

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Sieben wrote:Spoken like a true abolitionist. Has it ever occurred to you that the whole bloody conflict could have been avoided if only cooler heads had prevailed? That the nation(s) need not have rushed to war, driven by the Southern fire-eating chivalry and the Northern radicals? That Buchanan, in the waning days of his presidency, could have defused the looming crisis by simply withdrawing Federal troops from Ft. Sumter and Pickens? Perhaps, given a bit more time, our "American genius for compromise" could have achieved just that.

All these things have occurred to me. They didn't happen, though. Perhaps justice was done and a profound wrong righted. Furthermore, the attempts at secession were unlawful, IMHO, but this a thread about gratitude and humble thanks.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]

-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES

(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

lodilefty

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:52 pm

Please keep this civil, and avoid words that may offend.

The cause of the war is an endless, unresolvable debate rooted in opinion.

Religion and Politics cannot be debated, as they are wholly dependant on personal beliefs. :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Confederate
Lieutenant

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 am

POLITICAL DEBATE!!

nevermind :P

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”