charlesonmission

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks Jim, you are more experienced than I am, but I'm not sure if what you are saying counts as advice. I want to be fair to Mortar. Anyways, I already noticed the supply issue as you mentioned. Regarding the blockade, I'm happy to explain why it is so low. The Union has no port of operations in the Gulf as I took Ft. Pickens, Taylor, and Jefferson. There were a couple blockade squadrons in the Atlantic. However, the Union took them out to combine them with the blockade squadron for Richmond. The Union fleet was bombarding Richmond and attacking 5 or 6 times in an all out attempt to capture Richmond.

I'm happy to answer any questions on why I'm doing certain actions, if anyone has questions.

Charles

Jim-NC wrote:AFAIK Lincoln always gets re-elected (unless the union has lost).

You need a depot in NC to forward supplies to the ANV. With winter coming, you will use more supply (wagons will trade supply for hits that your forces would have suffered due to weather) than you are now. I see starvation on the horizon.

At least the blockade % is really low. It's having almost no effect on your coastal city production.

charlesonmission

Early December Part 1

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:22 am

Early December Part 1

Missouri

My partisan unit destroyed the RR in Mexico MO and took control of Bloomington on the way to Jefferson City. As the unit took control of the town passing through, it destroyed the supplies. Also note that Bloomington provides +3 WS, every little bit of WS counts. An Indian unit also moved to Vienne MO.

Orders – The Indian unit in Vienne will destroy the RRs and go further east to Union MO with the intent of destroying the RR there next turn.

[ATTACH]16316[/ATTACH]

Texas and Louisiana

As I predicted Lyon’s force of 2 division moved into Baton Rouge and the decent amount of supplies, about 100 GS, in that city. Baton Rouge doesn’t have a depot, but since it is a level three city and a level 4 harbour, it holds more supply than a small town would, naturally. Lyon’s force may be in a tricky situation. Firstly, they are out of supply or nearly out of supply. Note the red dots on Lyon’s force. Yes the 100 GS will help, but I the city won’t make enough supply to maintain 2 divisions and the Union currently has no way to get supply down without running the guns of the Mississippi. Furthermore, it is nearly winter and river movement is about to slow down a lot. Secondly, the low power values of 50 and 37 show low cohesion as the men are exhausted after the long campaign from Missouri, yes Missouri. I’m sending Gordon’s division to take up a position in Port Hudson via river movement. The Baton Rouge militia will evacuate to the New Orleans fleet. I’m setting the New Orleans fleet to bombard, sort of curious to see what a small fleet can do against a very tired army. One final point, New Orleans generates 177 GS per turn.

[ATTACH]16317[/ATTACH]

Mississippi and Arkansas

Kershaw’s division took up a defensive position in Marshal Mississippi unmolested. Both cavalry units made it to Watie’s division in Grenada. The Union sent a division to take back Helena Arkansas. My Mississippi fleet arrived in Vicksburg. I’m sending a small fleet (1 ironclad, 1 gunboat, and 1 transport) to the Upper Tallahatchie River to block the RR bridge there that heads to Grenada. This will help to isolate the Union force of McPherson’s Corps in Corinth.

[ATTACH]16318[/ATTACH]

Tennessee

Industrialization paid off as Memphis built a +19 GS. Beauregard has raised the defensive values of corps commanders to between 2 and 4. The newly appointed corps commander Bernard Bee has arrived in Overton and has taken over command from John Walker. I now have MTSG across 7 regions from Humboldt to Overton. Pulaski and Nashville have been reinforced with a few militia units (note that these units have been mostly trained by now). My militia unit took control of Huntsville. There was no Union movement that I saw in this region. The supply situation is still precarious; Nashville has GS of 35 / 1174.

[ATTACH]16319[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EDec4.JPG
EDec3.JPG
EDec2.JPG
EDec1.JPG

charlesonmission

Early December Part 2

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:27 am

Early December Part 2

Virginia

Industrialization also paid off in Virginia with builds of +19 and +14 in Christiansburg and Marion. Unfortunately for the AoNV, this is on the tail end of a currently defunct east west Virginia RR. There were a few Union movements, the sharpshooter unit in Burkeville left before Trimble’s brigade arrived to take the city. There is some sort of unit movement into Amherst, but I can’t see what is there. The Union also took back Charlestown in WV. My cavalry regiment made it into Covington and took back town. My partisan unit also took back Lynchburg. However, the really interesting action was out on the James River. The Union fleet just left before my fleet arrived. This has left my fleet in Hampton Roads (note that I targeted the Union fleet by dragging my fleet on top of the Union fleet the previous turn. My fleet attempted to catch up to the Union fleet, unsuccessfully. The Union fleet goes off the map, but clearly for port as the cohesion was so low. A second fleet, most likely a blockading fleet, is heading towards the Atlantic blockade box.

Now, what to do! I’ve made the decision to reopen the east west Virginia RR. Despite the temptation to set up a new supply line to NC, I think I would need 2 depots to do it, 1 in Garysburg and 1in Goldsboro. However, as I currently have no forces to defend the newly built depots, nor health supply units to build such supply units, that plan will be put on hold. Instead, opening the east west Virginia line is lower cost and may be done and held without support a couple turns to get the supply out of the western part of Virginia. Here is what will happen. The cavalry unit in Covington will destroy the RR there and rest as the unit has 0 cohesion, i.e exhausted. The RR is already destroyed to the east in Lexington VA, so I don’t think the Union will try to take back Covington this turn. The partisan unit in Lynchburg will rebuild the RR and head 2 regions west to Salem which has a destroyed RR. The RR NE of Lynchburg heading to the Union position is already destroyed, so I don’t think the Union can or will try to take back Lynchburg this turn. Trimble’s brigade will rebuild the RR in Burkeville and head 1 region west to Franklin which has a destroyed RR. Regarding other movements: 1. I’m also swapping division betweens Longstreet and Jackson/Johnson since Longstreet’s divisions have lots of hits and Jackson’s/Johnson’s divisions are at full health. Replacements primarily come in regions with depots. Meaning, the division will come to full strength faster in Richmond that in Longstreet in the field where there is no depot. 2. My fleet will head to Norfolk to meet up with the other small fleets that are there. 3. I’m also sending 1 transport ship from the Gulf to Norfolk. Once the fleets are combined in Norfolk, they will have 728 cannon. I could try to hold a naval defensive position in Hampton Roads at that point, something to think about. 4. My naval engineers in Richmond are also heading to Norfolk. 5. Joe Johnston in command of the empty army in Richmond will head to Gallatin TN. Joe Johnston now has stats of 4 / 3 / 5 which might even be enough to cause Grant some heartache. Finally, note that Richmond supply levels are at 245/2098.

[ATTACH]16320[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16321[/ATTACH]

Industrialization will remain on high for TN and VA.

20 RR.

1 replacement each for elite infantry, line infantry, and light artillery.
Attachments
EDec6.JPG
EDec5.JPG

charlesonmission

Late December 1864

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:01 am

Late December 1864

Missouri

There was a little action in Missouri. My Indian unit destroyed the RR and moved to Union. The Union took back Bloomington. This clearly show the Union isn’t going to give me a free pass in this far flung theatre. Furthermore, General Crittenden with a brigade, militia, and 2 batteries has showed up across the river near Bloomington. I can only imagine they are coming to Jefferson City. On one hand, I could raise a militia unit and battery in Jefferson City, but I’m hesitant to put resources into a region which I can’t really believe is going to help me hold off the union. Jefferson City only provides +4 in GS and I can’t industrialise in the state. This leads me to believe that putting non cavalry units in there would lead to them starving, even if I could hold off the Union. This turn the Indian unit will destroy the RR and head back to Jefferson City. I’m also sending 1 more general to Jefferson City to bring a full complement of 4 generals there.

[ATTACH]16322[/ATTACH]

Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi

Some interesting movement has happened here. Gordon’s division made it to Port Hudson and took over the town without a fight. However, they barely beat the Union fleet at the river crossing. This is interesting as I didn’t know where the Union fleet went and it has now reappeared. By using “previous turn replay” I can see that the fleet must have come from Little Rock. Cheatham’s force in Vicksburg hit the Union fleet pretty hard with 49 hits. This has dropped the strength of the Union fleet to “yellow”. My best guess at this point is that Mortar will attempt an evacuation of Lyon’s force who has recovered to power of 250 and supply is at the orange colour. The supply for Lyon went up since Port Hudson had about 100 GS in the town. My militia unit made it onto the New Orleans fleet without a fight. I’m going to have Gordon dig into Port Hudson, but I’d be very surprised if Lyon attacks there. I think the evacuation is the most likely scenario. The Union could attempt some wild manoeuvre of going south, beating the smaller New Orleans flight, running the heave guns of New Orleans and taking a fort at the mouth of the Mississippi. Or even go for Mobile or the lightly defended southern Texas. However, I think that is not likely, so here is what I’m going to do. I’m going to leave the New Orleans fleet as is with defend and retreat. My Mississippi fleet from Vicksburg with power of 1115 will target the Union fleet on conservative attack. It takes 11 days to reach the Union fleet in its current location; it might not make it this turn. However, if the Union fleet moves north on the Mississippi, then a battle will most likely happen.

[ATTACH]16323[/ATTACH]

In northern Mississippi, my blocking fleet has arrived and Kershaw continues to dig in with 1 division. I’ve noticed some more movement by the Union into Austin MS. There is now 2 corps there with a total of 3 divisions I believe. Unfortunately, the weather is still good in Mississippi. I'm sending Cleburne's division from Henry TN to reinfoce Kershaw's new position. The position in Henry is unlikely to be attached since the Union would have to attack across a river for Grant to join and Henry is a forest with mud.

[ATTACH]16324[/ATTACH]

Tennessee – nothing happened at all other than Chattanooga build +2 WS. I’d rather have GS though. Supply in Nashville is 43 / 1255. Virginia

Virginia

It was a pretty good turn for industrialization; Petersburg +24 and Hampton +14. There were no battles, but Mortar has surprised me by going straight for the east west Virginia RR. Clearly, my plan to open up some additional supply that way isn’t going to happen. The big move is that Kearney’s corps has moved in Burkeville. I also made a mistake in my division restructuring. I wanted to send Winder’s division from Richmond to Petersburg, but I seem to have forgotten to do that. So, Petersburg is virtually undefended. Winder’s division from Richmond will go to Petersburg and be there in 2 days, which should be enough to stop any attack that would happen there, although I don’t really expect an attack as I think he knows I have quite a large force in Richmond ready to move. Basically, Trimble’s brigade fled Burkeville back to Petersburg. I’m pulling the cavalry unit in Campbell back to Petersburg. And I’ll let the cavalry unit in Covington to rest 1 more turn. In addition to sending Winder to Petersburg, I’m sending a small brigade from Longstreet to Lee and a small brigade from Jackson to Petersburg. The Union now has power of 6000 in the 3 regions of Buckingham, Appomattox, and Camden. If the Union wanted, they could bring that all that to bear against Lee. My fleet is still in Norfolk and is nearly 100% (current power 2158). The Union has rebuilt all the RRs in WV, I still hold Grafton un-garrisoned there. Supply in Richmond is 266 / 1981

[ATTACH]16325[/ATTACH]

Economic plans

It is late December, so that means options are available again. I’m doing 8% bonds which will raise about 1 million in cash and an embargo this turn. The embargo will give me +3 NM. I will wait 1 turn to call for volunteer and mobilise since I have no WS. Therefore, I’m reducing industrialization in VA and TN to light this turn. That will leave me with 37 in WS. I don’t think I can win by VPs now as he gets 50 per turn and I get 45. Therefore, I would rather take the VP hit with the bonds than the NM hit with the taxes or printing.

Replacements – 1 each in elite, line, and light artillery.

[ATTACH]16326[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LDec5.JPG
LDec4.JPG
LDec3.JPG
LDec2.JPG
LDec1.JPG

charlesonmission

Early January 1865 Part 1

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:24 am

Early January 1865 Part 1

It’s early January and there were actually a couple battles and some interesting moves.

Missouri

My Indian unit destroyed the RR in Union and made it back to Jefferson City. The Union made 1 move here by sending a militia unit to Vienna. Crittendon’s corps next to Bloomington held their position. Missouri is experiencing a blizzard in most places. I’m making no moves here. Jefferson City provides 1 CS and I kind of like keeping the Union thinking about other areas than the Mississippi, Tennessee, and Virginia campaigns.

[ATTACH]16357[/ATTACH]

I really have to hand it to my Mortar, time and time again when he was in a difficult spot, he’s managed to evacuate without even a battle. As my New Orleans fleet was blocking the direct river movement, the Union Army had to go through Port Hudson. As you can see in the 2nd picture, there was only a 35% chance of engagement. This probably comes from the fact that Gordon’s force has no cavalry and Lyon’s force is mostly if not all cavalry, if I remember correctly.

[ATTACH]16358[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16359[/ATTACH]

Next to Port Hudson there was a naval engagement on the mighty Mississippi River. This was a CSA victory; however, my Admiral was killed! Admiral Buchannan has been killed. Talk about an unlucky shot. This is a big loss as the CSA only had 2 admirals, and now there is 1. I really think it is unfair that the CSA has only 2 admirals. I believe there are 3 in the beginning, but then 1 sort of disappears as part of the game (presumed taken out of the game based on history). The battle screen doesn’t show him as killed, but the message box does and he certainly isn’t in the fleet anymore. The Union fleet now has power of 250. I’m going to target the Union fleet with my New Orleans fleet (power 315) and leave the Mississippi fleet where it is (power 416). Both fleets are on conservative attack. I hope that the Mississippi fleet will attack first and by then the New Orleans fleet can come in and hit the Union fleet again. Gordon’s division will also go to Baton Rouge to retake the city. Okay, I’m sending a cavalry unit that was created in NO to react to a raid and the NO supply unit to Waite in Grenada. I’m also sending General Zollicoffer with a now unlocked NO militia unit and a depleted fort battery to Jackson. I want the force in Jackson to start digging in beyond level 4 and artillery is needed for that.

[ATTACH]16360[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16361[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Ejan5.JPG
EJan4.JPG
Ejan3.JPG
EJan2.JPG
EJan1.JPG

charlesonmission

Early January 1865 Part 2

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Early January 1865 Part 2

Watie won a victory in Greneda against foster, this is a +1 NM victory. However, this means that Foster crossed my fleet in Upper Tallahatchie River. Does anyone know how I can know how many guns are required to stop enemy river crossings? I didn’t expect this battle, but Foster was really able to move fast. I’m going to attempt to catch up with the rear guard of Foster. Here is what is happening. I’m restructuring Cleburne’s Division into a really strong force and will leave Kershaw with the engineer in Marshall to continue digging in. Cleburne will go to via the RR with a conservative attack. To ensure Kershaw isn’t too weak, I’m sending a signal unit from Memphis, a cavalry and columbiad unit from Gardner in Dyer, and a militia unit from Magruder in Henry. Watie’s division meanwhile will still hold Grenada.

[ATTACH]16362[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16363[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16364[/ATTACH]

Tennessee

There was no movement here again. Unfortunately, I had no builds from my light industrialization.

[ATTACH]16365[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Ejan9.JPG
EJan8.JPG
EJan7.JPG
Ejan6.JPG

charlesonmission

Early January 1865 Part 3

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Early January 1865 Part 3

Virginia

No builds from the light industrialization. There were no battles, but there was some movement. My restructuring of the AoNV went through. From north to south, the power levels are 670, 1229, 1039 (this is Richmond), 1087, and 1049. Now it might seem odd that Richmond is weaker than 3 other regions. However, this was intentional as this turn I’m calling for volunteers and will get lots of replacements. All 4 divisions in Richmond are under strength, but not for long. It’s also worth noting that a brigade or two in Fredericksburg would make me a lot more comfortable. 670 power isn’t a lot in the Virginia these days. Take a look at the VA map. It is clear now that the east west RR line is gone. Burkeville is in the hands of a large Union force (just west of Petersburg). Also note that the Union fleet has reappeared off Norfolk. Mortar is still thinking about the supply issue of Virginia. However, I think I’ve stolen a march on him and the many times of industrialization are paying off. The Richmond supply stocks are up to 305 / 1949. The supply situation is precarious, but not causing me problems yet. The real danger is that the Union puts a force between the AoNV and Norfolk and then takes Norfolk. This would be a huge loss in GS production. A regular unit is moving toward Covington. I think my cavalry unit there has stayed it welcome and it’s time to leave. However, I’ll hold the unit there 1 more turn as there is a blizzard to the south. The Union has taken back Grafton. I’ve now re-lost all the towns in WV and the RR there is at 100% again. Back to the Union fleet, the fleet has power of 1174, about half of my fleet’s power of 2326. However, their admiral Farragut is much better than mine. I will wait 1 turn to see what the Union fleet does.

[ATTACH]16366[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16367[/ATTACH]

Economic and political plans

My NM is up to 98, the Union is down to 118. My embargo gave me +12 FI. The Union went with Graduated taxes on income and partial mobilization.

This turn, I’m going with volunteers with the 1,000 bounty.

[ATTACH]16368[/ATTACH]

Replacements – 2 elite, 8 line, 2 cavalry, 1 light, 2 supply

Reinforcements. 1 marine, 3 sharpshooters, 10 twelve pounders, 1 six pounder. This will leave me with 63 conscripts but only 2 WS.

Light industrialization for TN and VA.
Attachments
Ejan12.JPG
Ejan11.JPG
Ejan10.JPG

Jim-NC

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:46 am

Regarding Buchanan, the little black line on his portrait denotes that he caught some shrapnel.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

charlesonmission

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:04 am

Good to know! I'm still learning!

Jim-NC wrote:Regarding Buchanan, the little black line on his portrait denotes that he caught some shrapnel.

charlesonmission

Late January 1865 Part 1

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Late January 1865 Part 1

Missouri

Crittendon’s Corps has moved to Union just west of Jefferson City. The corps has power of 165; Van Dorn’s is 85. Van Dorn’s force is locked so they wouldn’t move even if I wanted them to. And why should they? It is warm and cosy in Jefferson City. 2 to 1 odds in the Union favour, but my force has no artillery and is cavalry and partisans. We’ll see what happens!

[ATTACH]16373[/ATTACH]

We haven’t seen much action happen in Texas, but the Union may be about to make a move. I’ve noticed that Halleck’s force in New Mexico has been split between a small division and Halleck’s army. The 9th division in New Mexico could move on the un-garrisoned Laredo. I do have a couple strategic interests in Texas. Houston gives +1 CS and Galveston is my port of resupply for the CSA’s blockading operation in the Gulf. Mortar may want to do to me what I’m doing to him in Missouri, specifically drawing attention and resources away from the main front. I do have 2 newly unlocked militia units in Galveston and Matagorda. However, at this point, I’m going to wait a turn and see what he does. General Armstrong in Dallas is locked this turn anyways.

[ATTACH]16374[/ATTACH]

There was a series of naval battles on the Mississippi River. As went anticipated, the Union fleet was unable to get by the Mississippi fleet without a fight and the New Orleans fleet caught up with the Union fleet.

[ATTACH]16375[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16376[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16377[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Ljan5.JPG
Ljan4.JPG
Ljan3.JPG
LJan2.JPG
LJan1.JPG

charlesonmission

Late January 1865 Part 2

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Late January 1865 Part 2

The Union fleet, which is currently under the guns of Vicksburg, may be in big trouble. I’m having my entire river fleet converge in an attempt to attack this Union fleet. The New Orleans fleet (power 225), which is in the same region as the Union fleet, in Joseph Run is on sustained attack. The Mississippi fleet (power 333 )is targeting the Union fleet on sustained attack. The small fleet (power 74) blocking the RR bridge unsuccessfully in the Upper Tallahatchie River on feint/probe. The Union fleets current power is 82. The risk is that there is another Union fleet that will appear and really destroy my fleets. However, I can’t see where the Union has a fleet that close.

[ATTACH]16378[/ATTACH]

General Gordon took Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge provides +1 CS and +42 GS. I’m sending Gordon to Monroe via the river. Monroe was taken by 1 sold cavalry regiment. As Monroe connects to the Vicksburg RR, Gordon will be in a good position to move as needed. You will also notice the remnants of Lyon’s force in the top left; they are starving but have nearly made it Little Rock.

[ATTACH]16379[/ATTACH]

As the immediate threat to NO is gone, I’m sending Pender’s strong division to Jackson Mississippi. I’ve noticed that the Union’s 34th division moved east from Bolívar and then disappeared. I wonder if this 34th division is moving south along the river in FOW hoping to catch Jackson off guard. If that is the case, they will run into a division+ there as Pender’s division arrives in 6 days. Gordon will rebuild the RR and hold, Waite and Kershaw will hold steady. I’m sending a cavalry regiment from Waite to un-garrisoned Bolivar in an attempt to retake the town and scout what the Union is up to.

[ATTACH]16380[/ATTACH]

The situation in Tennessee is currently a massive stand off. Mortar mentioned a while back it is like running into a brick wall. Of course, the same is true for me as well and I’m at a loss on how to kick the Union out of TN. Of course it is winter, and that pretty much eliminates good opportunities for large battles unless you want to fight in a blizzard or frozen land. There are some events here though. Firstly. Winchester (east of Pulaski) built +18 GS. Prestonsburg which is in KY built +25 GS (however, this is a bug as I have no industrialization in KY nor can I even choose to if I wanted to, perhaps this has been fixed in the new 1.16). The supply situation in TN is rather tenuous. Nashville has GS of 24/1444 and that doesn’t inspire confidence. The other news is that the much beloved Joe Johnston is taken over command of the Army of TN from Beauregard. Beauregard will go to Atlanta and build a force that will be prepared to defend against a sea invasion. It will be interesting to see if the corps commanders’ stats improve with Joe ( 4 / 3/ 5) in charge.

[ATTACH]16381[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Ljan9.JPG
Ljan8.JPG
Ljan7.JPG
Ljan6.JPG

charlesonmission

Late January 1865 Part 3

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Late January 1865 Part 3

There has been a little movement in Virginia. The Union militia came in and took Covington in a small battle. My cavalry unit escaped and I’m sending them to Lynchburg which is currently un-garrisoned. The other two big Union moves on the ground are a division moving in Franklin Virginia (west of Burkeville) and Rosecrans’ army and Smith’s Corps moving to Amherst. This is an interesting move as Mortar is moving forces away, not toward Richmond. I see three possibilities with this. He is beginning to position to attack either the northern or southern end of the line, he is considering reinforcing the west as part of a massive attack on an objective city, or he is contemplating some move into NC. The fourth option, albeit unlikely I think, is that he once a stronger MTSG line. However, let’s be honest, I’m not going to attack a corps in Virginia anywhere. Richmond supply is 406 / 2186.

[ATTACH]16382[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16383[/ATTACH]

The Union has fleets in the shipping and the Atlantic blockade box. However, the Union fleet that was blockading Norfolk left, presumably to go back to harbour to refit.

[ATTACH]16384[/ATTACH]

The Union went with 5% bonds and call for volunteers.

This turn, I’m going with full mobilization.

Replacements – 7 line, 1 light, 1 cavalry, 1 light artillery, 1 field artillery, 1 heavy artillery

Reinforcements. 1 full brigade in NC and 3 small brigade in FL, 2 militia units in Texas.

I have 119 thousand dollars, 448 CS, but only 4 WS. So yes, the CSA can certainly go through WS when needing to industrialize. Virginia and Tennessee are on light industrialization.
Attachments
Ljan12.JPG
Ljan11.JPG
Ljan10.JPG

deguerra
Major

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:17 am

Just for my own understanding charles, why are so many units locked so late in the game?

charlesonmission

Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:17 am

Hi Deguerra,

This game settting has the activation rule on high. This means that there is a chance that you can't move your force at all (i.e. locked). I always play this way as I find it the most historical. Generals in the ACW sometimes refused to move. Think Huger in the Burnside campaigin, Bragg after Chatanooga, Roscerans before and after Chatanooga, Butler many times, the CSA forces during the Perryville campaign refusing to come together, etc. For me, the activation rule puts a little more historical aspect in the game. I know that many players don't agree with this though. However, to each their own!

Charles

deguerra wrote:Just for my own understanding charles, why are so many units locked so late in the game?

charlesonmission

Early February 1865 Part 1

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 am

1 land battle, more naval action!

Missouri

Missouri was the scene of only land battle this turn. Crittendon attacked Van Dorn in Jefferson City. Van Dorn’s cavalry and partisan unit fire a couple volleys and then fled. I also forgot to blow the depot, well, more precisely I didn’t want to blow the depot because I though that Van Dorn could stand at least 1 attack. In the infantry with artillery versus cavalry scenario, the infantry with artillery wins. Hence, Van Dorn is now on the way to Ft. Gibson.

[ATTACH]16390[/ATTACH]

In Texas last turn I discussed the Union’s 9th division in New Mexico. This division has moved and captured the un-garrisoned Laredo. Based on the speed of the movement, I’m guessing this is a cavalry only force. This has forced me to make some moves here. I’m evacuating Matagorda and sending its militia unit to Houston. The good news is the 2 militia units I recruited last turn in Texas appeared in the perfect spots of Houston and Galveston. I’m also sending a cavalry regiment and a horse artillery battery from Armstrong in Dallas to Houston, General Church in Dallas will also head to Houston to take over the defences there. With regards to Galveston, the transport will depart with fully loaded supplies for the blockade operation in the Gulf. General Price will leave Vicksburg and start off towards Galveston. A ranger unit will leave Armstrong in Dallas and head there as well. Finally, a couple spare generals from the Mississippi theatre will head to Houston and Galveston to reduce the CP penalty. The CSA can only form 30 divisions, and I’ve formed 29; this can limit just where you can form divisions. My hope here is that the Union’s 9th division won’t be able to reach Houston or Galveston this turn. Otherwise, it could be ugly, as my militia units aren’t ready yet and my newly arrived troops might be tired. Armstrong’s division in Dallas will be left with 1 infantry, 2 cavalry, and 1 twelve pound battery. This should be enough to hold off any attack from Halleck in New Mexico.

[ATTACH]16391[/ATTACH]

The Union Mississippi fleet that I’ve been dealing with is 100% wiped out. The convergence of the CSA fleets combined with the guns of Vicksburg sank all the ships (9 ironclads and 2 gunboats) the CSA captured 2 transports. Unfortunately, there were no NM points for the CSA as the battles were multiple small ones rather than a large one and the game doesn’t allow for NM increases for bombardments. Vicksburg hit the Union fleet with 81 hits over 5 bombardments. I can only assume that there is another Union fleet being built somewhere in the FOW! My fleets will go to Vicksburg for repairs.

[ATTACH]16392[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16393[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16394[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Efeb5.JPG
EFeb4.JPG
EFeb3.JPG
EFeb2.JPG
EFeb1.JPG

charlesonmission

Early February 1865 Part 2

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:21 am

Early February 1865 Part 2

In Mississippi, on land, General Gordon arrived in Monroe to take the town. The Union cavalry has moved 2 regions to the east to Richmond LA. I’m sending a infantry regiment sharpshooter from Vicksburg to Richmond LA to attack the cavalry and/or repair the RR next turn. Of course I would send cavalry, but I have no loose cavalry units nearby. Lyon’s force is moving towards Little Rock from Princeton. I’m sending Gordon to Princeton where I hope to catch the rear guard of Lyon’s force and capture a supply unit or two. I would assume Lyon is well under strength with low cohesion.

[ATTACH]16395[/ATTACH]

Gordon will rejoin Kershaw in Marshall. Watie will continue to hold Grenada. My cavalry regiment took Bolivar and will head back to Watie. Last turn I mentioned the Union’s 34th division in Mississippi and how it was off my radar. My cavalry unit evaded this division in Tallahatchie MS, it seems the division is hiding in the swamp there.

[ATTACH]16396[/ATTACH]

In Tennessee, there isn’t much to speak of other than the supply situation. The good news is that Memphis built +14 GS and Newport +19. The bad news is that Newport is east of Knoxville and I don’t think the Newport supply can reach me. Furthermore, the depots of Memphis, Dyer, Nashville, Pulaski, and Chattanooga show GS of 97, 0, 6, 48, and 75. 4 of my corps don’t have full supply wagons. Atlanta does have 273 GS, but my RR capacity is so slow and WS in such short supply, I’m unable to forward this to in significant quantities it seems.

I’m not really sure what is happening in Virginia in the big sense. I feel that the Union is up to something clever, or is just waiting for winter to end before a massive push on Richmond. On an easier note, my cavalry unit took Lynchburg and will head to Petersburg to recover. Take a look at Manassas; I count 6 divisions, numerous units, and an additional army. Anderson could be vulnerable there in Fredericksburg considering he has only 1 division. At this point, I have nothing else to send him other than a single regiment from Prince George and 2 regiments from Norfolk until the NC brigade is ready in Wilmington. On the water, I’m sending my Virginia fleet to Hampton Roads. Does anyone know if a fleet on defence will force a Union fleet to attack? This is one of those game mechanics that I can’t remember. On supply, it was a good turn. Richmond built +19 GS and Fredericksburg +16 GS. Richmond GS is 442 / 2275. Finally, the Richmond divisions have been receiving replacements and are now nearly full strength (currently about 85%).

[ATTACH]16397[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16398[/ATTACH]

Somehow, the Union NM is up to 125. It must have been an event, but I don’t know what it was. I think it would be nice if both sides received each others events, sort of like how both sides could read both newspapers.

This turn, I’m going with exceptional taxes.

Replacements – 6 line, 1 cavalry, 1 light artillery, 1 heavy artillery, 1 supply

RR – 10.

WS will be 6.

[ATTACH]16399[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Efeb10.JPG
Efeb9.JPG
Efeb8.JPG
Efeb7.JPG
Efeb6.JPG

Jim-NC

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:14 am

No, a fleet on defensive does not force an opposing fleet to attack. If both fleets are on defensive, no battle that turn.

IIRC, it's because there's no MC in/on waterways. With land forces, if you move into an enemy area, you are forced to switch to attack mode (if certain criteria are met). 2 fleets can rest peacefully in the same stretch of river if both are defensive/passive for a long time.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

deguerra
Major

Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks for the answer, hadn't even realized that setting existed. Must try it sometime. I'm always frustrated with inactive generals, but I do agree that it actually adds a lot to the depth of the game.

charlesonmission

Late February 1865

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Late February 1865

A very quiet turn.

Missouri

In Missouri, Van Dorn’s small force is still on the way back to Ft Smith. The Union seems content to let them go without chasing them down.

In Texas, the situation went as well as I could have hoped for. The Union cavalry force didn’t move, and my forces are now in better positions in Galveston and Houston.

[ATTACH]16412[/ATTACH]

There was only 1 battle this turn and it was a skirmish at that. My sharpshooter and militia unit ran into the Union cavalry in Richmond LA. There was a small skirmish and the Union withdrew. I’ll now split my 2 units to rebuild RRs that the Union destroyed.

[ATTACH]16413[/ATTACH]

The only other significant movement is that Gordon’s division made it to Princeton Arkansas, but Lyon’s force was already gone. The Union forces in Little Rock have about 600 power. Gordon has done all he can, so he will take his force to New Orleans to recover.

[ATTACH]16414[/ATTACH]

Tennessee

There is really nothing to show in MS and TN. In TN, the supply situation still remains the big problem. Nashville now has 0 GS. This turn, I’ve increased TN industrialization to high. The downside to that is I’m having to use WS rather than recruit new units. However, if I can’t keep my current army fed, more men means more mouths to feed! My units that I built a few turns ago are getting ready, a small brigade and marine unit are going to TN, as well as a few batteries of artillery.

In Virginia, no battles, there is not much movement at all. I have two pieces of good news. GS in Richmond is now at 537/2322 and the Richmond forces now have 26,000 men and are nearly at full strength. Total land forces in Virginia number around 75,000. I’m sending my fleet to harbour in Ft Monroe. I’m at a bit of a loss on how to use the Virginia fleet. Just leaving it out there getting weaker every turn seems too risky. I still think the best move is to hold off and strike when an opportunity arises. I’m also going to swap Lee’s division with a division from Jackson so as Lee’s division has hits to recover (remember replacement usually used by forces in depots, according to my understanding).

[ATTACH]16415[/ATTACH]

Economics and Politics

Replacements – 4 line, 1 light artillery, 1 field artillery, 1 heavy artillery, and 1 supply
Industrialization - Tennessee high, Virginia low.

I still have a great supply of CS which will be used over the next few turns.

[ATTACH]16416[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Lfeb5.JPG
Lfeb4.jpg
Lfeb3.jpg
Lfeb2.jpg
Lfeb1.jpg

charlesonmission

Anything missing?

Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:53 am

Hi there,

I wanted to see if there is something missing in this AAR that you would like to know. I.e., is there anything else I should include in my posts?

Thanks,

Charles

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:52 pm

charlesonmission wrote:I wanted to see if there is something missing in this AAR that you would like to know. I.e., is there anything else I should include in my posts?

Yeah. Please learn how to fit frame your pictures :D
Many are too big for nothing (white areas), and so your text escapes on the right and we must read it further off the forum window (that is some unpleasant).

charlesonmission

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:44 am

You are right, some are like that. Hmmm, I thought I was taking them all down to 88% 88%. I'll take a look on the next post.

Charles

ERISS wrote:Yeah. Please learn how to fit frame your pictures :D
Many are too big for nothing (white areas), and so your text escapes on the right and we must read it further off the forum window (that is some unpleasant).

deguerra
Major

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:22 am

It's actually only on your last report that I'm getting this. All the other ones are fine. Did you do something different?

As to your general question, I suppose I'm always interested in the overall plan (and how it changes) with time. It's the thing I always seem to struggle with the most. I get caught up in little things, and lose sight of the big picture.

charlesonmission

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:23 am

Since you asked about the overall plan, I suppose I should go ahead and tell everyone this. I don't really have a plan to win the game according to the game rules. Basically, I see no way I can win by VP as the Union has a slight lead and get more per turn than I do. Furthermore, to win by NM would involve taking DC, Little Rock, St. Louis, etc., etc. As I’m being slowly pushed back by the Union with ever increasing numbers, it’s difficult to fathom some grand invasion. What I’m going for is a stalemate in my mind. Specifically, that by the end of 1865 the vast majority of the heartland of the CSA is still under control of the CSA and the CSA can still field two formidable armies; the AoNV and the AoT. I believe this can be achieved by controlling the key cities and points, staying dug in, maintaining supply levels, and responding to any amphibious invasion that targets “objective” cities. Interestingly, the Union was close to taking Richmond in 1864. I think another 30,000 Union troops and a couple more battles and I would have lost as I couldn’t replace the losses. The winter period, volunteers, and now mobilization have allowed the AoNV to recover to nearly full strength.

So, even though I can’t see a path to win by the game rules, I still feel like I won in that the game was/is such a fascinating one and the CSA would remain a formidable force. I also hope everyone can win through learning through this AAR. Mortar has played a very good game and certainly deserves credit.

Charles

[INDENT][/INDENT]
deguerra wrote:It's actually only on your last report that I'm getting this. All the other ones are fine. Did you do something different?

As to your general question, I suppose I'm always interested in the overall plan (and how it changes) with time. It's the thing I always seem to struggle with the most. I get caught up in little things, and lose sight of the big picture.

deguerra
Major

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:30 am

Hehe. No worries, I know the CSA position is a hard one, and when I asked for the overall plan, I did not necessarily mean one for 'winning' the game. I do agree that, really, if the CSA manages to stay largely intact into 1865/66 (when does the game actually end?) it could be considered a victory.

So what I am hearing is essentially threefold:
-seeking to hold onto Virginia with a large army and prevent any large incursion from the east
-seeking to hold Tennessee with a large army and prevent any large incursion along the Mississippi
-seeking to counter any amphibious landings the USA might make to circumvent the other 2

What are your thoughts on the West? Can the Union launch a viable attack through there if the other areas are denied to it, or is it simply too hard to get large scale armies through there?

charlesonmission

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 am

Your threefold summary is correct.

When you say the west, do you mean Arkansas and Texas? If so, the Union did do a sweeping MO, Texas, LA move with Lyon’s decent size force. They made it all the way to Baton Rouge but were more or less starving (they are now in Little Rock as Gordon couldn’t catch up with their rearguard). It’s going to be difficult for the Union to get supply down there (Texas and Arkansas) as I’m firmly in control of the Mississippi River in Dyer, Memphis, Vicksburg, and New Orleans. Basically, the land out west is hard to move in and easy to start to starve for any force that is large. There aren’t many depots for the taking (Houston being the only one actually. The Union could take southern LA and southern Texas in an amphibious invasion, which would set up a harbour where the Union shipping could supply. However, I’m not sure to what end as NO would be defended very well and produces so much GS, it is nearly impossible to starve out. If you look just SW of Memphis, the Union has been amassing forces there for a possible assault on Memphis. I’ve been thinking about how to counter this, by sending a signal unit and balloon to up the CP and send more men in. I still think the best chance for the Union to win a NM victory is a massive 170,000 men assault on Richmond itself. Richmond is defended by only about 27,000 men directly. However, they are level 8 trenches, 160 cannon, and Jackson at level 6 defences there. Although I don’t know if Mortar knows this or not, it will be difficult to starve the AoNV out now as industrialization has paid off and I still hold the peninsula and Norfolk which are really feeding much of the AoNV.

Charles

deguerra wrote:Hehe. No worries, I know the CSA position is a hard one, and when I asked for the overall plan, I did not necessarily mean one for 'winning' the game. I do agree that, really, if the CSA manages to stay largely intact into 1865/66 (when does the game actually end?) it could be considered a victory.

So what I am hearing is essentially threefold:
-seeking to hold onto Virginia with a large army and prevent any large incursion from the east
-seeking to hold Tennessee with a large army and prevent any large incursion along the Mississippi
-seeking to counter any amphibious landings the USA might make to circumvent the other 2

What are your thoughts on the West? Can the Union launch a viable attack through there if the other areas are denied to it, or is it simply too hard to get large scale armies through there?

deguerra
Major

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35 am

Yes, I did mean something along the general lines of coming down from Missouri on the western side of the Mississippi with a force large enough to cross it somewhere, and again, I guess circumvent the stronghold in Tennessee.

From what this PBEM indicates it might be doable, but difficult in terms of keeping that large a force supplied without controlling the Mississippi.

Hmmm, I'd certainly be curious if 27k defenders could hold off 170k attackers. I don't have enough experience with this game, and tend to think that such odds must be overwhelming, only to be constantly surprised.

charlesonmission

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:40 am

The 27K are the direct defenders, with MTSG another 20K or so would come, bringing the total to around 50K. That would still give the Union more than 3 to 1 odds, which I think would be enough. It's risky though, if it didn't go well for the Union, it could be a - 10 NM hit.

Charles

deguerra wrote:Yes, I did mean something along the general lines of coming down from Missouri on the western side of the Mississippi with a force large enough to cross it somewhere, and again, I guess circumvent the stronghold in Tennessee.

From what this PBEM indicates it might be doable, but difficult in terms of keeping that large a force supplied without controlling the Mississippi.

Hmmm, I'd certainly be curious if 27k defenders could hold off 170k attackers. I don't have enough experience with this game, and tend to think that such odds must be overwhelming, only to be constantly surprised.

charlesonmission

Early March 1865 Part 1

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:11 am

Early March 1865 Part 1

Another quiet turn comes and goes. I think the Union is getting ready for some sort of amphibious operation.

Missouri

Van Dorn is on now only 13 days away from Ft. Smith. Crittendon’s Corps has actually been chasing him, but is a couple regions behind. As Van Dorn only has enough full supply for 1 more turn, this is quite lucky. His force can resupply in Ft Smith before moving on.

[ATTACH]16440[/ATTACH]

In Texas, the Union seems to content to hold its positions. A militia unit in Matagorda has unlocked; I’m sending it east to Price’s force in Galveston.

[ATTACH]16441[/ATTACH]

In Louisiana, Gordon’s division has nearly arrived in NO after a tiring campaign. A sharpshooter element will go to Monroe to repair the RR. A cavalry regiment will go to Providence LA to take back the harbour. I see no significant movement by the Union in this region.

[ATTACH]16442[/ATTACH]

Tennessee

There were no battles in TN, but some important movement is happening by the CSA here. First of all, Covington, directly north of Memphis built +19 GS. That is nice to have, although it is a bit unfortunate that build is in a location that is undefended. You will notice many movement lines. Basically, two things are happening. First, I’m preparing to expand the Memphis defence by sending a signal unit and balloon unit. Secondly, nearly all of the corps are receiving a new 12 lb artillery battery that is finished in Georgia.

[ATTACH]16443[/ATTACH]

Georgia and South Carolina

I haven’t discussed this department for a while, but I think it could be the scene a Union move. Basically at this point, all the CSA objective cities are reasonably to well defended except for Norfolk, Charlestown, Atlanta, and Mobile. The last 2 are harder to get to, Atlanta being a difficult route to get to without having taken Chattanooga, and Mobile being far away from a Union port. The first two though, are cause for concern. I’ve noticed that one of the massive Union armies has left Manassas and gone through Alexandria, presumably on the way to a port for an invasion by the sea. To counter this, I’m swapping AS Johnston and Beauregard as Beauregard is a much better general. Beauregard will now take up his historical position of the department commander for SC, GA, and FL. AS Johnston will go to Atlanta, but be prepared to move to Mobile if needed. In the even of an attack on Charlestown, I’ve elected to only defend the town and give up the forts. Yes, this is rather unhistorical, but one is forced to do it because of the game mechanics. Charlestown is currently only manned by 1,000 men with 7 cannon. However, I intend to change this as I’m building 3 small brigades (brigades without artillery) in SC and 2 twelve lb. artillery batteries in NC. I build them separately so that the infantry isn’t waiting for the artillery to finish. I believe I have a couple turns before a fleet could arrive here. And I plan to contest Hampton Roads this turn with my fleet.

[ATTACH]16444[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Emarch5.JPG
Emarch4.JPG
EMarch3.JPG
EMarch2.JPG
Emarch1.JPG

charlesonmission

Early March 1865 Part 2

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:29 am

Early March 1865 Part 2

Virginia and NC

Richmond built a +2 WS. The AoNV is pretty much at full strength with 75,000 men. For the CSA, my intention is to build a division in Norfolk led by General Wilcox. A full brigade has finished in Wilmington is on the way along with an additional artillery battery and small brigade from FL (rerouted from Anderson). I don’t have the forces to hold Ft. Monroe though. As I mentioned in the GA/SC section, a large Union Army has left Manassas and passed through Alexandria. The Union now doesn’t have the forces to take Richmond. Therefore, I’m going to send Edward Johnson’s corps to Goldsboro NC. From this location he can move to counter any Union threat ranging from Norfolk to Savannah. My fleet will also go to Hampton Roads on conservative attack. It’s now up to the Union to make a move.

[ATTACH]16445[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Replacements – 4 line, 1 light artillery. Looks pretty good as I’m now getting close to full strength.

[ATTACH]16446[/ATTACH]

Reinforcements – 1 full brigade in LA, 5 small brigades in AL, 3 small brigades in SC. 2 twelve pound batteries in NC, 3 twelve pound batteries in LA. This uses up most of my CS, leaving me with 70.

[ATTACH]16447[/ATTACH]

Industrialization - Tennessee low, Virginia low. TN has essentially zero GS the depots, FYI.
Attachments
EMarch8.JPG
EMarch7.JPG
EMarch6.JPG

Return to “American Civil War AARs”