Hobbes

The not so Halloween quiz

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:16 pm

It's that time of year again. But as there are only so many spooky links that can be posted I thought of creating a thread where people could post their favourite moments in film.
Maybe an odd bit of a film that you just like even if you don't like the entire movie.

Here are mine :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9YXuvLfECk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8HpOn61Hw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl1I1eOQgrw

This thread might drop like a stone but I thought it worth making an effort.
If anyone finds any good spooky links or pics please post - there could be a prize for the best!

The attachment H1.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
H1.jpg
H1.jpg (237.75 KiB) Viewed 8430 times

Dixicrat
General

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:26 pm

An early Happy Halloween to you, Chris, from Dixicrat and Aphrodite Mae!
We'll post stuff later, after we have a chance to do a bit of "halloween research"! :)

Hobbes

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:32 pm

Dixicrat wrote:An early Happy Halloween to you, Chris, from Dixicrat and Aphrodite Mae!
We'll post stuff later, after we have a chance to do a bit of "halloween research"! :)

I look forward to it!

Dixicrat
General

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:24 pm

About the time that AM and I got married, a movie came out named Pumpkinhead. It became one of my favorite horror movies of all time! :)

The movie received mixed reviews, but I never really understood why. I think it was well produced, competently acted, and the lighting and cinematography are excellent. Unlike so many horror movies these days, it's not all about blood and gore. Instead, its more psychological... at least, for the most part.

If you like good horror and you haven't seen it, borrow, buy, or rent it!
Just don't watch it at night, or when you're alone... :evilgrin:

The trailer doesn't do it justice, but I've included a link to one, anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXlcm1el1D0

For those of you who have seen the movie, I'd be interested in what your favorite scene is. I think that one of mine is when Harley is going out of his mind and screams at the witch, "Damn you, old woman! DAMN YOU!" and she responds with the chilling chuckle, "I already am, Ed Harley! I already am..."

Here's the poem by Ed Justin, Pumpkinhead

[CENTER]Keep away from Pumpkinhead,
Unless you're tired of living,
His enemies are mostly dead,
He's mean and unforgiving,
Laugh at him and you're undone,
But in some dreadful fashion,
Vengeance, he considers fun,
And plans it with a passion,
Time will not erase or blot,
A plot that he has brewing,
It's when you think that he's forgot,
He'll conjure your undoing,
Bolted doors and windows barred,
Guard dogs prowling in the yard,
Won't protect you in your bed,
Nothing will, from Pumpkinhead.

[/CENTER]

gchristie
Brigadier General

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Couple made for TV horror items from the early 1970's that got under my skin:

"Don't be afraid of the dark" starring Kim Darby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TpWSNT5QhE

The other was a Rod Serling's Night Gallery episode called The Doll (couldn't find a clip but image loaded).

This one scared me when I was really young, mostly because my mother would step in front of the television screen for the scariest parts, and my imagination filled in the details...
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1804849747/info

But the ones that really scared me were the old Hammer Horror classics...Frankestein's Monster, Dracula, The Wolf Man, etc.

And clowns, don't get me started on clowns...
Attachments
220px-Sardgrin2.jpg
220px-Sardgrin2.jpg (15.83 KiB) Viewed 8159 times
doll6.jpg
doll6.jpg (13.42 KiB) Viewed 8170 times
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Dixicrat
General

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:39 pm

gchristie wrote:Couple made for TV horror items from the early 1970's that got under my skin:

"Don't be afraid of the dark" starring Kim Darby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TpWSNT5QhE

The other was a Rod Serling's Night Gallery episode called The Doll (couldn't find a clip but image loaded).

But the ones that really scared me were the old Hammer Horror classics...Frankestein's Monster, Dracula, The Wolf Man, etc.

Was the woman in the clip the same woman who starred as Rosemary, in Rosemary's Baby?

While I was checking out your clip, GChristie, I also saw a link to Trilogy of Terror, with Karen Black. That was another fun one, from that era! :)

I also like the genre of Horror/Comedy, like Sean of the Dead, and My Boyfriend's Back. ("...He ate my son, and now he's takin' your daughter to the prom!" "It's not her fault! She was beguiled by his wiley, decaying ways!") :D

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Cool thread, Hobbes! :wacko: :eek:

Well, I would like to add some links of movie trailers that come to my mind and made ​​me spend more than a sleepless night. :D :D

Salem's Lot (1979)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Psycho (1960)

Halloween (1978)

Friday the 13th (1980)

The Exorcist (1973)

Hope you enjoy these links! ;) :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Dixicrat wrote:Was the woman in the clip the same woman who starred as Rosemary, in Rosemary's Baby?

Nope, that was Mia Farrow.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Hobbes

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Dixicrat wrote:About the time that AM and I got married, a movie came out named Pumpkinhead. It became one of my favorite horror movies of all time! :)

The movie received mixed reviews, but I never really understood why. I think it was well produced, competently acted, and the lighting and cinematography are excellent. Unlike so many horror movies these days, it's not all about blood and gore. Instead, its more psychological... at least, for the most part.

If you like good horror and you haven't seen it, borrow, buy, or rent it!
Just don't watch it at night, or when you're alone... :evilgrin:

The trailer doesn't do it justice, but I've included a link to one, anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXlcm1el1D0

For those of you who have seen the movie, I'd be interested in what your favorite scene is. I think that one of mine is when Harley is going out of his mind and screams at the witch, "Damn you, old woman! DAMN YOU!" and she responds with the chilling chuckle, "I already am, Ed Harley! I already am..."

Here's the poem by Ed Justin, Pumpkinhead

[CENTER]Keep away from Pumpkinhead,
Unless you're tired of living,
His enemies are mostly dead,
He's mean and unforgiving,
Laugh at him and you're undone,
But in some dreadful fashion,
Vengeance, he considers fun,
And plans it with a passion,
Time will not erase or blot,
A plot that he has brewing,
It's when you think that he's forgot,
He'll conjure your undoing,
Bolted doors and windows barred,
Guard dogs prowling in the yard,
Won't protect you in your bed,
Nothing will, from Pumpkinhead.

[/CENTER]

I'm intrigued by this one - could make for an unusual Halloween night movie.
But why have I only vaguely heard of it?

One other category I thought of (now I realise thanks to gc's post) was films that scared the bejesus out of you as a child or youth. I always remember Burnt Offerings with Oliver Reed. Apparently it contains Blood, Breasts and Beasts. As a 14 year old boy I remembered only the blood and beasts.
At that age I can't remember many films where I forgot the breasts - it really shook me up for weeks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oswKV2DZZAU

P.S. I agree about the clowns!

Jim-NC

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:22 am

Clowns can be very scary.

I had nightmares about the clown toy in Poltergeist after seeing it (I was quite young at the time). Sometimes I wonder what my mom was thinking letting my sister and I watch it.

My sister had to get rid of all her dolls for a *long* time after that.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dixicrat
General

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:23 am

jim-nc wrote:clowns can be very scary.

I had nightmares about the clown toy in poltergeist after seeing it (i was quite young at the time). Sometimes i wonder what my mom was thinking letting my sister and i watch it.

:mdr:

gchristie
Brigadier General

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:45 pm

Jim-NC wrote:Clowns can be very scary.

I had nightmares about the clown toy in Poltergeist after seeing it (I was quite young at the time). Sometimes I wonder what my mom was thinking letting my sister and I watch it.

Forgot about the Winged Monkeys...
Attachments
blue-monkey2.gif
blue-monkey2.gif (22.92 KiB) Viewed 8170 times

Jim-NC

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:58 am

Actually, the winged monkeys are quite cute, now the wizard on the other hand, was scary with all that flame and loud voices.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

A true ghost story!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:51 pm

Nice thread, Hobbes! :)

So, does anybody know any good ghost stories?!? :w00t:
I'm talking about real ghost stories, stuff that's really happened to you, or somebody you know!

I've had some unusual stuff happen to me in my life, but never anything that was weird or creepy enough to make a good ghost story. But, my baby sister... now that's a different story! What I'm going to tell you about her is absolutely true. So, everybody needs to find a stick, and grab a marshmallow, and huddle around the fire while I tell you an eeeeeeerie tale! :feu:

The house that she and I grew up in was very, very old, and had been owned by our family since it was built. Many generations of my family had lived (and died) there. (There are even two small private family cemeteries on our property!) So, I'm told that when my baby sister Candy was three or four years old, she began talking about "the nice mommy lady" who came to tuck her in at night, sometimes.

I was grown and away from home by this time, so I wasn't there when all this stuff happened. I'm told that everyone thought that she was imagining things, and so no one paid much attention to what she had to say about her new "friend".

At least, until she was in my father's study one day, where she wasn't usually allowed to go. In that room are oil paintings of some of my ancestors. It's said that Candy stood and stared at one of them and then said, "that look like Connie!", pointing to a painting that was well over two hundred years old. "...but she not smiling!"

The painting was of a woman named Constance, who had died is 1764 giving birth to her third daughter. Stick about seven or eight "great"s in front of "grandmother", and that's who Constance was to Candy, and me.

Candy insisted that the woman in the painting was the same one who was visiting her sometimes at night. Candy liked her, a lot, and thought she was nice. :)

Constance died giving birth to her daughter, as I said.
Guess what the daughter's name was?

Candice!

As she grew older, Candy quit being visited by Constance, and by the time that my baby sister was a teen, she was pretty sure that she'd just dreamed it.

But there were other members of our family who remembered Candy's descriptions of Constance, and who were just as certain that something uncanny had happened. And I myself can't help but wonder:
how would a little girl scarcely older than a baby know the name of an obscure ancestor, in a painting she'd never seen? Did an ancient ancestor actually visit my baby sister?

Who knows? Only Constance could know, for sure... and she's not telling, since she's been dead for nearly two and a half centuries.

[color="DarkOrange"]Happy Halloween[/color]! :)

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Wow! I love these stories... :love:

A beautiful mixture of mystery and feelings. ;)

It's a delight to read your stories, your majesty! :coeurs:

Best Regards.
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hobbes

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 pm

A great story Aphrodite!

I once had the chance to stay for a weekend with two other chaps in mansion in the county of Devon. It was a huge place with 25 acres of land and the grounds included a lake with a small wooden boat. We arrived late in the evening as the sun was setting on a glorious English summers day. As we approached the drive to the house, which must have been at least half a mile long, we could see the carcass of a sheep in a field to the side of the road. The sheep's throat was bloody and its head was almost severed from the body, but there was no sign that any part of it had been eaten. We were slightly unsettled by this, but we were young and eager to reach the house so thought little more of it. We arrived at the house and took a tour around. It wasn't really a mansion - more of a ramshackle collection of buildings that had been joined together over the years. The main building was constucted from fine local stone, but the attached buildings, which I assumed to be laborers cottages or servant quarters, were far more basic, made from crude brick and wood. As we toured the house we came across staircases so rotten that we worried they may collapse underfoot, leading to rooms that appeared to have been derelict for decades. In other parts of the house rooms had been kept in pristine condition; we found a lush green snooker table in one. After a glass or two of wine we retired for the night. As I shut the curtains I noticed gargoyles set into the stone outside the windows. They seemed unusual as they were facing into the room.

Dawn broke and we all met for breakfast after a quiet and peaceful slumber. After eating we took a longer tour of the grounds. To the north of the house we came upon a small chapel. Wooden pews, riddled with woodworm, had all but collapsed. The ghost of a glass window held only lonely red and green shards in its decaying frame, and a church organ, split in two, gave the impression of an empty tomb. Most curious was the image of a devil painted in bright red on the south wall. We worried about the locals. My friends decided to head off for lunch at the nearby village but I stayed behind as I was suffering from a migraine and thought a peaceful hour spent floating in the boat by the lake might help. I dragged my hand through the water as the boat made its way following the placid currents of the lake. Several hours later my friends returned and we spent a second comfortable night at the house. In the morning, after breakfast, we departed. Here ends the tale.

All of the above is true; the sheep, the devil, the strange gargoyles. I would like to say as we left the house and I glanced back I saw a mysterious figure at a window,
but it was not to be. If I was ever to see a ghost it should surely have been then – but a shadow of that place still lives with me.
As far as I remember it was turned into a recording studio soon after our visit. Maybe U2 have a tale to tell about it?

Hobbes

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Attachments
CH4.jpg
CH4.jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 8292 times
CH3.jpg
CH3.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 8296 times
CH2.jpg
CH2.jpg (26.86 KiB) Viewed 8295 times
CH1.jpg
CH1.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 8295 times

Hobbes

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:06 pm

People in the past were creepier

Is that Peter Gabriel at the back?
Attachments
H3.jpg
H3.jpg (133.96 KiB) Viewed 8280 times
H2.jpg
H2.jpg (70.28 KiB) Viewed 8279 times
H1.jpg
H1.jpg (134.13 KiB) Viewed 8282 times

Hobbes

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 pm

These kids reminded me of another movie moment :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yt9R0I3gSk

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:46 pm

The kids of the last picture give me chills! :cthulhu: :eek:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:52 am

Especially the little one without mask.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Aphrodite Mae

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:15 pm

I saw this picture, and for some strange reason, it made me think of the gentleman who has hosted our forum's Halloween thread, year after year! :D

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Thanks for so many years of fun, Chris! You're a sweetie! Here's a smooch for my dapper English buddy! :coeurs:
Attachments
Hobbes at Halloween.png
Hobbes at Halloween.png (979.58 KiB) Viewed 8255 times
Aphrodite Mae

Hobbes

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:22 pm

Great pic! :coeurs:

One is not worthy m'lady :hat:

Hobbes

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Attachments
pylewitch1.jpg
pylewitch1.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 8224 times

Hobbes

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:55 pm

A simple warming recipe for Halloween.

Pork sausage Pan Haggerty
Serves 3 Cooking Time 40 mins

Recipe ingredients
6 Chunky premium pork and herb sausages (I prefer Cumberland)
1kg (2.2lb) Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
450g (1lb) Green cabbage, chopped
1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
30ml (2tbsp) Tomato ketchup
5ml (1tsp) Worcestershire sauce

Preparation
Place potatoes in a large pan, cover with water and cook covered for 10 minutes.
Add cabbage and cook for a further 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

In a large non-stick frying pan dry-fry sausages with onion until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Stir in tomato ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Drain the potatoes and cabbage thoroughly and mash with a potato masher.

Add the mashed potato to the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until golden in colour then invert
gently onto a baking sheet and slide carefully back into the pan OR put frying pan under the grill to brown.
Cook for a further 5-10 minutes until golden brown

Scoop out of pan and serve with your favourite ketchup.
Attachments
PanHaggerty.jpg
PanHaggerty.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 8143 times

Hobbes

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Pan Haggerty
A simple and warming old recipe for Halloween.

The ingredients are potatoes and cheese - Cheddar , Lancashire, Cheshire , anything that is meltable and hard enough to slice or grate -
onions sliced a bit thicker, and seasoning, with some beef dripping or lard, or a mix of oil and butter.

A thick pan is greased with the chosen fat, melted and ready for cooking. The ingredients are placed in layers: potato, onion, cheese, with plenty of salt and pepper (and maybe a little thyme), a layer of potato being needed at the top as well as the bottom. The resulting cake is then fried carefully, until the bottom of the dish begins to brown and give off savoury smells.

Traditionally the cake would then be inverted and the process continued until what had been the top was also browned, though these days a grill would be easier.
Equally traditionally the Pan Haggerty should be eaten from the cooking vessel. Add bacon, ham or sausage for more flavour.

P.S. I would also add a little crushed garlic (and fry this for a short time with the onion and meat before adding to the middle of the dish).
Attachments
PanHaggerty.jpg
PanHaggerty.jpg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 8220 times

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Hobbes, it seems like a Spanish omelette! :w00t: ;)

Save me a piece, please! :thumbsup:

Regards!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hobbes

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Ethan wrote:Hobbes, it seems like a Spanish omelette! :w00t: ;)

Save me a piece, please! :thumbsup:

Regards!

Indeed - but Spanish Omelette doesn't sound quite as Halloweeny as Pan Haggerty :)

If you are in the area tomorrow night please pop in for a slice!

Cheers, Chris
P.S. a small portion of the dish should be placed outside as an offering.
If you live next to a wood this works well as the Foxes/Wolves etc will eat - if living in a city it's probably not such a good idea (but maybe the local cat will appreciate).

dooya

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Halloween is not a tradition in our part of the world, but, nevertheless, we carved our annual pumpkin yesterday and made pumpkin soup for dinner. :thumbsup:
No quote - No bullshit!

Le Ricain

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Hobbes wrote:Image

Your pic reminds me of Aberdeen's sordid association with witchcraft. In the late 1500's King James VI of Scotland, who later became King James I of England, had a morbid fear of witches. He discussed withcraft in great detail in his book, 'Daemonologie' which was published in 1597.

In 1563, it became a criminal offence in Scotland to practice withcraft. One provision of the law was to affect Aberdeen directly. The law allowed local governments to be able to recover the costs of trial and execution from the estates of the convicted witches.

The combination of the law and the King's zeal led to surge of witch hunts and trials across Scotland. However, the Aberdeen city fathers realised that there was money to be made in prosecuting witches and a mini-industry was founded funded by the convicts' estates. Between April 1596 and April 1597, 23 women and 1 man were tried and convicted of witchcraft.

In the end Aberdeen's enthusiasm and doubtful motives became too much even for James and the city of Aberdeen was admonished for being over zealous. The law against practicing witch craft was not repealed until 1736.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Return to “General discussions”