charlesonmission

How is this battle result possible?

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:15 am

Take a look at this battle result. 745 to 3, but nearly the same number of casulites. How is that possible?

Charles
Attachments
Possible.JPG

Jim-NC

Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:30 am

The 3 refers to their power level. It appears that the union was out of food (6% of what they needed), and probably very low on cohesion. I can't see if they had run out of bullets as well. As for the casualties, they started with 5000+ troops in the area, so under 1,000 casualties isn't bad.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

charlesonmission

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:23 am

Yeah, but a power of 3 nearly gave me as me casualties. And none of them surrendered, despite starving???

Charles

Jim-NC wrote:The 3 refers to their power level. It appears that the union was out of food (6% of what they needed), and probably very low on cohesion. I can't see if they had run out of bullets as well. As for the casualties, they started with 5000+ troops in the area, so under 1,000 casualties isn't bad.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Notice that one of those Union units was a Gatling gun. If the USA was defending, this will bring up your casualties. Artillery pieces are usually the last ones to lose cohesion in a stack.

Also, Meade is tough on Defense ("5") which will increase your casualties. There are other defensive factors which may have helped him that we can't see in the pic.

But I don't blame you for being surprised!

lodilefty

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Also notice item 10 in the message panel: 16 hits while retreating is probably more than inflicted in the first hour..

AFAIK, losses incurred during a retreat are NOT shown in the Battle Report!

So you kicked his butt, and he ran too fast for you to take prisoners. :wacko:
(He had cavalry to screen the retreat)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Mortar
Sergeant

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 pm

I am currently playing this game against Charles, which has been quite a fun match. I might be able to add that prior to this engagement Meade's force was "stuck behind enemy lines" so to speak. I was attemting to move him through an enemy occupied region to reach a safe place to recover from a failed attack. While he was moving he was set to avoid enemy contact and give some defense while retreating early if engaged.
Does NM play a hand in the things such as retreat or evasion chances? I currently have a NM advantage, but I don't know if that's what helped Meade get through that situation.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi folks! :)

AFAIK, National Morale has no impact on that. The attributes of a general have influence on retreat and evasion chances, among other factors. In addition, each unit type has different evasion values according to mobility and size. Small forces have better evasion values. Similarly, large forces suffer a penalty. Harsh weather and terrain which provides cover also increase your evasion value. ;)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

charlesonmission

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:11 am

Yes, it's been a great game. We are in the summer of 1864. I wonder how many people make it to 1865. I'm entering uncharted territory; I have no idea what happens (generals/events) from now on.

Charles

Mortar wrote:I am currently playing this game against Charles, which has been quite a fun match. I might be able to add that prior to this engagement Meade's force was "stuck behind enemy lines" so to speak. I was attemting to move him through an enemy occupied region to reach a safe place to recover from a failed attack. While he was moving he was set to avoid enemy contact and give some defense while retreating early if engaged.
Does NM play a hand in the things such as retreat or evasion chances? I currently have a NM advantage, but I don't know if that's what helped Meade get through that situation.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm

I took my last game with Granitestater to April 1864 and yes, it's like entering a new world - nothing like the 64 scenario either ... 1865 would be a "strange, strange land" I think, esp if the CSA still had a chance for victory...

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”