TheDoctorKing

King Fatal Years AAR with Reds

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:50 am

Fatal Years AAR

I started playing this game in January, 2011, using Fatal Years v 0.99. I will install new versions as they come out. I’m playing as the Reds, and will pursue a similar strategy to what I used in my vanilla game that I wrote an AAR for earlier.

Early June, 1918. Red morale 110, Siberians 100, Southerners 100. I now have the advantage of knowing what all the historical events are that are coming up, so I do a few things differently. I build conscript regiments in each of the cities in the Moscow-Yaroslavl-Vologda region that will shortly be affected by SR uprisings. I build a cavalry division in Tambov and I send Tukachevsky there to stiffen that force, who will be heading east along the rail line via Penza to Syzran. I put all my Siberian garrisons on “defend at all costs” and I begin requisition and recruitment missions in all those territories I’m about to lose.

Late June, 1918. Red morale 106, Siberians 99, Southerners 100. My southern forces begin to unlock, and I start them moving up the rail line towards Tzaritsyn. The Komuch forces look to be moving down the river towards Saratov. Trotsky goes to Kazan and Tukachevsky captures Penza. I start some new conscript regiments for Yekaterinburg and Perm, hoping they can hold on for a while. The South Ural Partisan Army takes Orenburg; they won’t be able to stay, but at least we’ll make trouble.

Early July, 1918. Red morale 102, Siberians 98, Southerners 101. Five recruiting and four requisition missions complete. Three other missions were cancelled as the provincial capitals fell to the Whites before I could finish looting – I mean taxing – them. Kirov arrives in Derbent from Astrakhan in hopes of repairing the situation in the eastern Caucasus. My suddenly-much-more-nimble partisans in the Kuban are busily running about wrecking the rail net. The Yaroslavl-Vologda uprising begins but my garrisons hold all the towns. I’m going to send the Latvians to clear them out, then move along the rail line east from Vologda to Perm.

Late July, 1918. Red Morale 102, Siberians 100, Southerners 100. I should have spaced out these missions instead of having a bundle one turn and none the next. Oh well. Tukachevsky takes Syzran, Vatsetis relieves the siege of Vologda and Yaroslavl. For some reason, he doesn’t relieve the siege of Moscow before he leaves and now I have to send Bela Kun back to clear that little situation up. The new division I built there will presumably sit unfilled until the siege is lifted. And I can’t even put the Moscow garrison on offensive orders to go kick the little SR boys' butts for them. Blucher gets kicked out of Orenburg and suffers a reduction in seniority, which seems unfair to me. Kirov is besieged in Derbent by the local Cossacks. I hope they decide to charge.

Early August, 1918. Red morale 94, Siberians 103, Southerners 100. Six requisition, four recruiting, and one subversion mission complete. For some reason, the mission in Moscow was cancelled even though I now control the whole region. There is some bug that affects special missions in all the faction capitals. A White raiding force is besieging Voronezh and destroyed the division I raised there last turn. I send Stalin around from Tzaritsyn with his gazillion armored trains to take care of them. I forgot to put Blucher on "evade combat" and so he gets smashed up by a White force just south of Ufa but arrives in Ufa anyway. I'll have to give him that new cavalry division I'm building in Tambov. He's too useful to waste on a tiny force. Building eight new infantry and two cavalry divisions and the ingredients for a fortified lines. I may put the fortified lines in Kazan or else in Yekaterinburg if the Siberian Whites don't hurry up and take the place. Kirov abandons Derbent and returns by sea to Astrakhan - there are Cossacks besieging the place and I can't afford to lose it.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Undead
Conscript

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 pm

That's why I prefer definitly randomization on historical events to prevent such anticipations... The official design has to be seriously improved here when I will have time.

TheDoctorKing

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Late August, 1918. Red morale 94, Siberians 102, Southerners 100. Vatsetis holds Perm against a moderate White assault. He appears to have suffered almost no damage. Gotta love those elite infantry! He’s now a 2-star. The Volga fleet appears to be keeping the Komuch and Czech forces on the east bank of the river; at least they haven’t yet tried to attack Simbirsk. Tukachevsky is now well dug-in. Another inconclusive fight in Moscow, the SR’s are still besieging the city. I raise three divisions in Novgorod, the future Northern Front, intending to bring them down to Moscow in a couple of turns if this situation hasn’t been cleaned up yet. One annoying feature is that despite the fact that they are participating in the fight, the Moscow garrison units are still not unlocked. I’m noticing that, unlike in vanilla, I actually have a shortage of WSU. I might have to build an arms factory. The Czechs finally manage to take Chita after five assaults. I pinned a grand total of over 2000 casualties on them. “Hold at all costs” really works! For some reason, Kirov doesn’t ride on the ships up to Astrakhan. The ships go but he stays behind in Derbent. Hopefully, Astrakhan won’t fall before he finally gets there. I send the garrison down from Saratov to bolster the defenses and put ships in the river to keep the whites away in the meantime. Stalin beats the Whites in Voronezh and will pursue to Liski; I send Voroshilov and the armored trains back to Tzaritsyn to make sure no Whites get in. The Taman Front loads onto ships (wish I’d thought of this last time) and escapes up the Don towards Voronezh. The Whites will take Ekaterinodar next turn, screwing my morale, but at least I still have the troops. Looks like the Whites will take the Caucasus too. Two subversion missions complete.

Early September, 1918. Red morale 81, Siberians 102, Southerners 107. Allied support level for the Whites falls to 9. Stalin smashes up the defeated White forces around Litki, he will now return to Tzaritsyn. None of the relief forces made it to Astrakhan. We’ll keep trying. Mironov leaves a strong garrison in Voronezh and heads for Saratov as there appears to be a White column trying to go there. I will try to put the Moscow garrison on attack stance and see if I can chase those damn SR’s away. The ingredients for the fortified lines in Perm are almost done, I start a new one for Tzaritsyn. All my partisans have now disappeared due to the new “partisans go home” event. I think this might be a little too constraining. Five requisition, three recruiting, two subversion missions and the Limited Mobilization event take place – I now have over 500 conscript regiments on hand. Mostly they are going to build garrisons and conscript infantry regiments since those fortified lines are using up most of my WSU.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:35 pm

I regret to announce that, during installation of the new version of Fatal Years, I managed to corrupt the save game file. Therefore, I will have to abandon this game. I intend to start over with the newest version of Fatal Years as soon as Athens posts it.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lycortas
Sergeant

hope

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:57 pm

I hope you post at least part of a new game as an AAR, i have not tried Fatal Years yet and would like to hear your experiences.
I appreciate you posting.

Michael

TheDoctorKing

Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:25 am

Yes, I'm going to post it as an AAR. I think of it as a sort of playtest for Athens.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Fatal Years AAR

Starting over: I started playing this game in January 2011, using Fatal Years 0.998 and RUS 1.02a. I will patch as they come out, though trying this aborted my last AAR after a couple of turns. I am looking forward to Athens/Clovis’s new regional options system but I just decided to get started a little early and see the results of the vanilla version for a little while. I’m going to report starting resource levels.

My general strategy remains the same. I play defense for the first year and a half, trying to hold on to the core region bounded by the Volga, the Don and the post 1991 borders of Russia. I will try to defend the Caucasus and Turkestan if possible, but will be prepared to retreat from those areas if White pressure builds too high. I refrain from declaring war on any non-Russian nationalities if I can avoid it (though I will be at war with the Ukraine willy-nilly and no doubt Poland as well). I will declare war on the Balts and the Caucasus countries if I have won in the adjoining region. My primary target is the Siberian Whites until I can capture the Ural region. Once I have Ekaterinburg, Perm, Ufa, and maybe Chelyabinsk, I turn my attention to the Southerners and try to push them out of the Donbass and Kuban. Tactically, I will build fortified lines to protect all my strategic cities, shorting my field armies on artillery if necessary. WSU shortages can be anticipated early, but I will deal with them by building lots of garrison and conscript infantry regiments to protect my smaller cities. One or two regiments are usually enough to dissuade any Greens that happen along, except in Turkestan.

Early June 1918. Building garrisons to protect cities that will shortly be under attack in the Yaroslavl/Vologda area. Supply wagons to establish a chain of depots leading south and east from Moscow to Tzaritsyn. All garrisons on “hold at all costs” to ensure their destruction during assaults and thus reduce the amount of lost NM (you lose more if a garrison surrenders). They also might inflict some casualties on the damn Czechos. The Kuban armies all go on “passive” stance to reduce casualties when the Volunteer Army comes down from Azov to kick their butts. Blucher begins his migration from the south Ural to the Volga.

Late June 1918: Allied intervention level 10. Red morale 107, Southerners 101, Siberians 100. Resources 3 EPs, 27$, 100 companies, 28 WSU. Various White attacks in Siberia; Irkutsk falls but Blagovshchensk holds out. Ourra! North Ural forces to concentrate on Ekaterinburg and Perm. Frunze goes to Ekaterinburg to lead the defense there. There’s an armored train in Nizhny Tagil, which doesn’t have any railroads! Mironov heads for Voronezh, Makhin goes up to Penza on a conservative attack. Blucher tries a conservative attack on Orenburg, hoping to be able to cut the White supply line to the Volga front. Volga flotilla deploys to hinder White river crossings in the Kazan-Simbirsk region. Chapaev to Saratov to block that crossing. Azov flotilla moves across the sea of Azov to pick up any refugees (like the Taman Front) who have to be evacuated by water; the rest of the Kuban troops go on “evade combat” and head up the rail line to Tzaritsyn. Trotsky heads to Simbirsk to take command of the Volga Front.

Early July, 1918. Allied intervention 10, Red morale 107, Southerners 100, Siberians 98. Resources 9 EP, 29$, 83 companies, 47 WSU. A couple of my requisition and recruitment missions were cancelled by White advances, giving the opportunity to start new missions, anyway. Whites capture Chita. I don’t know how the Siberians managed to lose NM; Blucher captured Orenburg for about two days and then a big White column showed up on the railroad and kicked him back out again (with minimal losses, since I had put him on “conservative” stance). Mironov still trying to get to Voronezh, he keeps getting chased around by the White column. Stalin shows up in Tzaritsyn. I create four fronts: Eastern in Simbirsk under Trotsky created last turn, Southern in Tzaritsyn under Stalin, Western in Moscow (going to Novgorod) under Kamenev and Northern in Moscow under Bronch-Bruevich. He takes command of the Hungarians under Bela Kun and will attack the SR and Anarchist rebels in the Moscow space. Vatsetis takes his boys up to Vologda. My garrisons in the Yaroslavl/Vologda region have all withstood the rebel assault. There are some rebels out to the east of the city towards Kazan; I’ll have to deal with them later.

Here's the situation in the North Ural:

[ATTACH]14460[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Volga front.JPG
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Late July, 1918. Allied intervention 10, Red morale 108, Southerners 100, Siberians 97. Resources 15 EP, 16$, 100 companies, 73 WSU. Blucher continues his anabasis up the western slopes of the Urals. Vatsetis runs up from Moscow to Vologda, blasting SRs the whole way, and will go on to Perm next turn. The forces left behind in Moscow, unfortunately, fail to engage their SR opponents. I put them on all out attack and plan sortie, hopefully they’ll do their job this time. Mironov finally reaches Vologda, takes command. The Taman Front is evacuating by sea and will hopefully be up to join him next turn. My partisans are evaporating rapidly. This seems a little excessive.

Early August, 1918. Allied intervention 9, Red morale 103, Southerners 100, Siberians 99. Resources 13 EPs, 482$, 329 companies, 135 WSU. Four requisition and three conscript missions complete. The Moscow requisition mission was cancelled despite the fact that the Northern Front finally attacked the besiegers and almost completely knocked them out. I ordered the unit to leave the space and then return and that got them to start a fight. The garrison was included in the battle but doesn’t seem to have done much and still isn’t unlocked. Ah, well. Komuch/Czech force pushes us out of Penza without a fight. Blucher arrives in Ufa and starts recruiting up. Whites take Blagovshchensk, Verkhudinsk and Khabarovsk still holding out. New partisans appear in the Kuban. I recruit a pile of troops all over the place. Note that this is the first turn that special operations missions could have borne fruit under the new dispensation introduced in v1.02 of vanilla. I had to go through the preceding turns with almost no replacements and really no reinforcements. Now I suddenly have an embarrassment of wealth. I think that both sides should probably start with more resources to avoid this problem.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:43 am

Late August, 1918. Allied intervention 9, Red morale 102, Southerners 100, Siberians 103. Resources 10 EPs, 16$, 73 companies, 10 WSU. Serious stacks of White troops show up in Ekaterinburg and kick Frunze out with heavy losses. Vatsetis makes his way through a bunch of Greens to Perm, hopefully Frunze can withdraw to join him. We did inflict 3200 casualties on the Czechs during the battles of Ekaterinburg and for some reason didn’t lose any NM other than the one for losing the city. So I’m reasonably happy with this outcome. Blucher heads to join Trotsky in Syzran along with Muraviev and the Iron Division. Hopefully the Komuch guys will try to bust through here and get slaughtered. Thinking about sending Voroshilov down to the eastern Caucasus to try to restore the situation there; wait one turn to see what the Whites in the Kuban are going to do. A large White force shows up and takes Aralsk, forcing Zinoviev out before he can fully organize his Turkestan Army. Looks bad for Red Turkestan.

Early September, 1918. Allied intervention 8, Red morale 99, Southerners 100, Siberians 103. Resources 15 EPs, 141$, 312 companies, 49 WSU. Three recruitment and a requisition mission complete. White rebels take Viatka, wipe out one of my nice garrison units. Bummer. Frunze gets chased around the northern Urals by some Czechs. At least he’s delaying the attack on Perm. Trotsky regaining org at Syzran. A large white force is approaching Saratov. Voroshilov runs up the river from Tzaritsyn and Stalin comes around by rail to assault Penza. Zinoviev hoping to be left alone in Tashkent. Partisan raiders move from Balgovshchensk up towards Chita, wrecking the railroad as they go. I can see a stack of Japanese moving on Khabarovsk. Presumably, I won’t hold out long but I stack everybody I can find into the city, including a 75mm battery I captured from the Whites in Blagovshchensk last turn.

:Late September, 1918. Allied intervention 8, Red morale 94, Southerners 105, Siberians 104. Resources 15 EPs, 36$, 210 companies, 39 WSU. Southern Whites take Ekaterinodar and now have a capital, as anticipated. Stalin’s assault on Penza unsuccessful. Now, it’s Trotsky’s turn. Makhin will come from the west with the 25th Fusiliers and Chapaev, so we get the pincer effect. Tukachevsky deploys to Vologda, takes command of a division there, and proceeds down the Don to cut off supplies to the variety of White units that are roaming about between the Volga and the Don. Far East partisans head for Chita. If I can get it, another requisition.

Early October, 1918. Allied intervention 7, Red morale 95, Southerners 105, Siberians 104. Resources 20 EPs, 778$, 429 companies, 101 WSU. Three subversion missions cancelled, for reasons that are unclear to me. The regions in question, Samara, Rostov, and Izhevsk, are all entirely white-controlled, and I certainly have plenty of money. ??? Four requisition and three conscription missions complete, and I also brought the gold train home. My heroic Red Guards in Krasnoyarsk hold off two White assaults. The next one will no doubt finish them but we’ve had fun. The Komuch forces in Penza divide up into a number of columns and head off in various directions. Trotsky arrives in time to smash up the last column and capture the depot. The Whites still look pretty tough, though, so he will hold his position and wait (hope) to be attacked. He detaches one division to run down to the river and occupy Volsk. This is the last town in the region that the Komuch control. Without it, I can’t imagine where their supplies would be coming from. I build a pile of units, running out of WSU first. This is because I lay down the ingredients for my second fortified lines. The first set of guns and supply wagons was finished last turn and will be building the first lines this turn in Simbirsk. The next set could go to Tzaritsyn or Perm, depending on what things look like in three turns when it is done. Hopefully, this is the last fortified lines I will have to build with real artillery – Tachankas should be coming in soon! Chita falls to the Far East partisans, but a White armored train is nearby. They’ll probably retake the place quickly. The Kuban partisans all go home, leaving the Kuban rail net totally trashed.

Here's the situation of the Komuch forces:

[ATTACH]14466[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Squeezing the Komuch.JPG
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Late October, 1918. Allied intervention 7, Red morale 98, Southerners 105, Siberians 96. Resources 10 EPs, 221$, 126 companies, 9 WSU. No missions completed this turn. I’m wondering what caused the big decrease in EPs. I did Party Members Join Army as an option, which appears to cost more than the listed 5 EPs. Komuch makes a big push at Syzran and Muraviev sees them off with heavy losses. Pretty much even numbers going into the battle, their troops were much better than ours but our level of entrenchment made the difference. Then, Bela Kun, who was moving along the rail line towards Syzran, got intercepted by the retreating Whites who ripped him a new one. Bela Kun was wounded and his Hungarian grenadiers were destroyed. But the Komuch Army is now pretty much cut off. They still control Volsk – the division I sent that way decided not to move for some reason and remained in Penza, but otherwise they have no bases on the western shore of the Volga. A cavalry division from Saratov will take Volsk this turn. Frunze finally makes it back to Perm with a tiny fraction of his original force. Blucher can now be promoted to 2-star rank – he will replace Makhin as commander of Second Army next turn. It’s a pity you can’t promote subordinates without taking them out of their Army. Blucher’s boys will have to stay behind in Syzran as Muraviev and Trotsky pursue the defeated Komuch forces. He took a lot of losses in the fighting so I guess he needs to draw replacements anyway. We shot a general, by event, and get the opportunity to create a new one, which I jump on. Looks like I’m never going to get enough EPs stored up to do partial mobilization but I have to say I’m not short of recruits. My shortage continues to be money, even though I have been recruiting a lot of cheap units – the lowest-cost divisions and individual conscript infantry regiments, mostly. Almost no Red Guards, though, they are just too wimpy and will never get better, unlike the conscript regiments.

Early November, 1918. Allied intervention 7, Red morale 98, Southerners 107, Siberians 97. Resources 10 EP, 420$, 311c, 48WS. Three recruiting, two requisition missions complete. Whites take Kizlar in the Caucasus, but Kirov arrives in Derbent with a small force to see if he can retrieve the situation. Turns out that Volsk was defended, by a substantial force, so my little cavalry division is driven back with losses. Luckily I had set them on “conservative”. My ships have blockaded the harbor but somehow didn’t see a whole division of White troops? The Komuch guys retreat off the railroad and therefore Trotsky can’t chase them. Makhin doesn’t make it into the area in time, which is probably a good thing as he would have gotten his butt kicked without Trotsky to back him up. I assign Blucher to command that army and put all the troops into it, leaving Trotsky and Makhin alone together… Tukachevsky has captured Mikhailovka, leaves a division and a supply wagon as a garrison and heads off to Tzaritsyn. He may find his way to the Caucasus if needed. Northern Front has to withdraw from the vicinity of Viatka, where it has been unsuccessfully chasing a White force around, due to lack of supplies. They’ll go back to Vologda and pick up a couple of wagons and be back next month. Still no action on the Siberian front. Vatsetis with the best troops in the Red Army is dug in deep in Perm and the Whites are just sitting around. Once again, in building units, I run out of WSU first. And this time I didn’t build any big piles of artillery. Hmmm. Maybe I should build a arms factory. I don’t seem to be able to do missions in Novgorod or Petrograd despite meeting the qualifications for military control and loyalty. That weird bug is still persisting.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:17 am

Late November, 1918. Patched to FY v 0.9996. Allied intervention 6, Red morale 98, Southerners 109, Siberians 97. Resources 15 EPs, 168$, 72 companies, 17 WS. No missions complete this turn. Kirov takes Petrovsk-Port in a tough fight against two measly White regiments. Blucher catches up with the retreating Komuch forces at Kvalynsk and beats them in a tough fight. They fight like cornered rats, but they are outnumbered and cut off against the river that is occupied by our brave Red fleet. Hopefully they won’t get frozen in! The white forces have not been destroyed, though. A White raiding party captures Penza. We shoot Muraviev at the most inconvenient moment. Blucher will have to withdraw to Syzran along with Trotsky to take command of the troops there. Tukachevsky will come up from the south to try to retake Penza, taking command of two divisions from Tambov and the one that was supposed to be garrisoning Penza. A couple of new partisans appear in the Kuban. The Japanese 1st Infantry Division has appeared in front of Khabarovsk. They outnumber the garrison about 2:1, but we have level 4 entrenchments. It is unclear to me how they are supplying themselves since there isn’t a White depot closer than Vladivostok and every rail space is smashed. I’m going to build a factory in Tula and, losing no time, I adopt a “stronger land reform” policy, which may allow me to use the “reforms” regional decision. The text doesn’t say what the cost of this measure will be but I expect to meet with some opposition in the Politbureau behind this…

Early December, 1918. Allied intervention 6, Red morale 98, Southerners 109, Siberians 97. Resources 5 EPs, 343$, 176 companies, 54 WS. Two recruiting, three requisition, two subversion missions complete. The “stronger land reform” doesn’t seem to have taken effect. My available choices remain unchanged. Red and White forces continue to mass in the Petrograd-Novgorod-Pskov region but nothing has happened as yet. Voroshilov takes Volsk and Tukachevsky takes Penza, leaving the Komuch forces without a base and the weather has now officially turned nasty. I have to take my ships out of the Volga, however, so they may be able to recross the river to Samara. Blucher heads up to Kazan as Greens have cut the rail line and taken Sarapul, cutting off Vatsetis in Perm. I hope to reopen the rail line and send Perm the wherewithal to build a fortified line. Stalin is wishin’ he had one as well down in Tzaritsyn, but he will have to hold out on his own. And he can have Tukachevsky back next turn. I start another fortified lines, intended for Tzaritsyn but it might go to Kazan depending on what the Siberians are doing.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:05 am

Late December, 1918. Allied intervention 5, Red morale 108, Southerners 111, Siberians 96. Resources 20 EPs, 131$, 19 companies, 14 WS. A ten NM increase for gaining control of Riga, I don’t imagine we are going to keep it as we have yet to even declare war on the Balts. No doubt the local commies have done a coup but the areas can’t even be entered. I’m going to use the EPs, though, to declare land reforms. Blucher retakes Sarapul, reopening the supply line to Perm. The fort-building group heads up from Kazan towards Perm, along with a brigade for reinforcements for Blucher. Vatsetis has swept the immediate vicinity of Perm of Greens. Partisans popping up in the eastern Ukraine head for the Ukrainian big cities to see if they can pick up some easy victories. Tukachevsky pursues the defeated Komuch guys south of Penza as I rebuild the Penza depot. I also realize at this point that I need a Syzran depot too – fortified lines aren’t like forts in AACW, they don’t collect supplies on their own. Trotsky begins to mass forces for an attack across the river at the last Komuch stronghold, Samara. In the Caucasus, the siege of Grozny is lifted and Kirov pushes forward towards Kizlyar. This will be the last White enclave on the Caspian if we can take it. Zinoviev heads from Samarakand to Bukhara, while Greens hover just out of range of the railroad. I’m noticing the plummeting Allied intervention level. I wonder if this is working out exactly as designed? I see Brits wandering about in Turkestan but no contact as yet. The Japanese are all along the Trans-Siberian but aren’t attacking my troops. I still hold Khabarovsk! My guys pledge to fight to the last man.

Early January, 1919. Allied intervention 5, Red morale 95, Southerners 122, Siberians 96. Resources 0 EPs, 343$, 179 companies, 45 WS. Two recruiting, two requisitions, and a subversion complete. We lost Riga, and our land reform policy went into effect. We also captured Kharkov. I still don’t seem to be able to order any reform missions, however. Pretty quiet turn, action-wise. We are roaming about the Ukraine pretty comfortably with our little cavalry units but not getting much reaction from the Ukrainians. Skachko and Schors took Kharkov without a fight. The White troops who had been besieging Grozny showed up at Petrovsk-port and pushed Kirov out. Also, a White gunboat showed up on the Caspian and shot at my transports coming down from Astrakhan. And the Volga is now frozen so I can’t bring anybody down from the north to take care of them. I think I’ll build some gunboats in Astrakhan to take care of this situation.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:17 am

Late January, 1919. Allied intervention 5, Red morale 103, Southerners 114, Siberians 96. Resources 5 EPs, 213$, 73 companies, 20 WS. No missions this turn. Now I can do reforms missions, so I start two in my most disaffected provinces. Tukachevsky chases the Cossacks around a little more, the remaining Komuch forces flee across the frozen Volga back to Samara. Trotsky is on the way to deal with them but because the railroad is busted up it will take him a looooong time. Blucher fights the whites at Sarapul again and blasts a few more. Greens proliferating like mad in Turkestan, Zinoviev returns to Samarkand to stiffen the defenses. Kirov retreats to Grozny to reorganize. My partisans roam about the Ukraine, occasionally discovering little groups of Ukrainians and having fights. The Ukrainians seem very well-equipped. I don’t have much of a regular force in the area: Mironov is coming down from Voronezh towards Lugansk with one division and Schors is in Kharkov with another. There’s a division abuilding in Voronezh, another in Kursk, and a cavalry division roaming the north side of the Don looking for hostile Cossacks. An infantry division without a leader just took Chernigov and will now make its way to Cherkassy to be the core of an upper Dnepr force. The Ukrainians have me outnumbered for now. Kamenev with Northern Front advances on Pskov. Bonch-Buevich will try to take Viatka, opening up another route into Perm, although I’d have to build two depots along that Vologda-Viatka rail line if I wanted to move supplies along it. Luckily supply wagons in this game are a lot cheaper than they are in AACW! And our morale goes back up again as a result of some mysterious operation in the Baltic States. And I haven’t even declared war yet.

Early February, 1919. No report of intervention level this turn. Red morale 99, Southerners 114, Siberians 96. Six requisition, four recruiting, two subversion missions complete this turn. Resources 10 EPs, 826$, 346 companies, 85 WS. Northern Front takes Viatka, wiping out a decent-sized White force in the process. Trotsky is finally across the river but the garrison of Samara looks big. He has a lot of reorganization to do. Tukachevsky and Blucher head to join him for the assault. Vatsetis continues to clear the area around Perm of Greens. Zinoviev’s garrisons are under almost continuous Green assault but they haven’t taken anything yet. But he never seems to get the time to run over to Ashkhabad and retake it. Ordzhonikidze attacks Greens in the vicinity of Moscow. Kamenev with Northern Front is looking at the Whites in Pskov but isn’t ready to attack yet.

Late February, 1919. No report of intervention level this turn. Red morale 101, Southerners 115, Siberians 95. Resources 8 EPs, 378$, 80 companies, 7 WS. Five subversion and four Chekist missions – the last Cheka missions since I took the NEP event. But now I can have Cheka ground units. Vatsetis carves up both Green and Siberian White forces in Votkinsk for 4 NM. I can now also recruit prisoners into my army at last – see if that event works. I tried to recruit a new Red General without success. Stalin to advance towards Novocherkassk. There is a large White force in those parts so I don’t expect him to actually get there but it will keep the Southern Whites off my tail while I clear up the central Ukraine. A slow gathering of forces on Cherkassy, while Shors storms Ekaterinoslav. Hope I sent enough stuff. Kamenev will step into Pskov and see if the White force there – Yudenich, is it? – will throw him back out again. Kirov advances on Petrovsk-Port on the Caspian. I think I detect a division in the White defenders between there and Kizylar. The Japanese continue besieging Khabarovsk. My partisans are moving around trying to gain control of the surrounding regions so the besiegers can’t draw supply.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Early March, 1919. No report of intervention level for this turn. I wonder if the westerners have given up and left? Red morale 100, Southerners 115, Siberians 95. Resources 7 EPs, 645$, 83 companies, 54 WS. Three requisition and one subversion mission complete. Kirov turned away on the road to Petrovsk-Port, retreats to Grozny. Shors takes Ekaterinoslav. Ukrainian push at Kharkov turned away with heavy losses by the garrison. Mironov slips away from Denikin in the Donbas, heading for Ekaterinoslav himself. Stalin moves down the rail line towards Novocherkassk. Kiev appears to be ungarrisoned, so a division moves down from Chernigov to take over, with conservative attack orders. Trotsky and Blucher move on Samara. Northern Front moves into the Pskov area and establishes a siege. Looking at the report of enemy forces present, I see that Northern Army has 12 units and a power of 5. I think I got there just in time! We’ll see how this works out.

Late March, 1919. Still no report of intervention level. Red morale 108, Southerners 115, Siberians 95. Increase of 10 NM because we captured Kiev. Resources 17 EPs, 394$, 28 companies, 15 WS. Two reform missions completed this turn. The effect is about a 9% increase in morale in Tver (from 54 to 63) and a 15% increase in Kharkov (from 10 to 25). Several of my units did not carry out their orders – Trotsky remained one space to the west of Samara, Kirov remained outside Grozny and did not attack the units besieging, and Stalin did not advance down the rail line. The turn report says they are “blocked by positions in the XYZ countryside” but I don’t see any enemy in those areas. They also were set on aggressive behaviors so I think they should have been attacking if they were blocked. Hmmm. I’m sending them again to see what happens. Blucher takes a circuitous route. Northern Front begins a move to the west to support the Petrograd/Novgorod forces, while Vatsetis moves from Perm to attack large numbers of Greens in the zone between Simbirsk and Ufa. He can also provide support to Trotsky in Samara if necessary.

Early April, 1919. Red morale 102, Southerners 115, Siberians 98. Resources 25 EPs, 731$, 282 companies, 67 WS. Four requisition, three recruiting, and six subversion missions complete. Trotsky turned back from Samara with heavy losses. Here's a picture:

[ATTACH]14520[/ATTACH]

Blucher’s forces participated in the battle but don’t seem to have done much, based on the detailed battle report. Vatsetis will come down to join them for a second attempt in a couple of turns. Kamenev continues to siege Pskov with no reaction from the Whites. Stalin unable to advance in the Donbass, will withdraw to Tzaritysn. Kirov to attack Kizlyar. Shors can’t get through to Kiev and holds Cherkassy, but Budenyy makes it through and the garrison is now a respectable two divisions.

Late April 1919. Red morale 95, Southerners 115, Siberians 97. Resources 13 EPs, 426$, 558 companies, 70 WS. Two recruitings, three subversions, and the Partial Mobilization event this turn. Siberian whites seem to be suffering from a lot of Green rebellions. Stalin still unable to advance towards Cherkassy and he hasn't increased his level of military control in his space for three turns. I order him to turn back to Tzaritsyn. Western forces continue to mass in Kiev; Kamenev on the way down from the north with about six divisions. Trotsky and Blucher drawing reinforcements and gathering scattered units for another try at Samara. Capturing Samara will be key because then we can make detachments either to the Ukraine or to the Baltic Front.
Attachments
defeat in samara.JPG
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:09 am

Late April 1919. Red morale 95, Southerners 115, Siberians 97. Resources 13 EPs, 426$, 558 companies, 70 WS. Two recruitings, three subversions, and the Partial Mobilization event this turn. Siberian whites seem to be suffering from a lot of Green rebellions. A lot of building and moving troops about, massing for attacks on Samara and Pskov, but very little action. Zinoviev starts to push along the rail line towards Ashkhabad.

Early May 1919. Red morale 94, Southerners 115, Siberians 97. Resources 11 EPs, 14$ 467 companies, 19 WS. Six subversion and a recruiting mission complete. Kamenev declines to storm Pskov, gets another division as reinforcement and another breach. Stalin “reverts to a defensive stance” and goes back to Tzaritsyn. Trotsky with all his powers will go up to Samara and try to take the place again – he has about 80,000 men, the biggest army the Reds have assembled yet. Kamenev will try an assault on Pskov on “conservative”. This is the start turn for the 1919 campaign scenario. In that start position, the Red Army has 1206 elements. My army has 1026 elements. The Reds start that scenario with 100 NM; mine is 6 less and not likely to pick up quickly. And I flatter myself that I have been playing pretty well, and I don’t think the White AI has done much better against me than the Whites did historically – in fact I hold some territory that the Reds didn’t have at this point in the actual course of events. So let this stand as a response to those who think that the requisition/recruitment system provides enough resources to the Reds. Even with the 50% increase over vanilla that Clovis put in this mod, the Reds have not been able to muster anywhere near as many troops as they did historically, and what they have done has left them with a significantly lower NM.

Late May, 1919. Red morale 88, Southerners 117, Siberians 97. Resources 15 EP, 353$, 496 companies, 69 WS. Three requisition and two reform missions completed. A whole bunch of subversion and recruitment missions were cancelled, I don’t know why. Trotsky takes Samara by assault, although he loses the first turn’s battle and suffers a 1 NM hit. Taking the town doesn’t seem to have given me any NM. Ordzhonikidze took two brigades from Simbirsk to attack some Greens in the next region to the south and found that there were over 12,000 of them! He retreats in disorder. Kamenev’s assault on Pskov also unsuccessful, he retreats with light casualties. Maybe I should have put him on normal aggression and he would have taken them down? Whites take Grozny by assault, Kirov heads up from Petrovsk Port to try to redeem the situation. I’m sending Voroshilov down from Tzaritsyn to try to help out there too. Bonch-Bruevich starts sending columns out in various directions in the Ukraine to take control of the region. Budenyy moves towards Odessa.

Early June, 1919. Red morale 86, southerners 116, Siberians 96. Resources 23 EPs, 956$, 522 companies, 145 WS (neglected to build anything before pushing the end turn button, oh well). Five requisition missions complete. One of my little garrisons surrendered to the Greens, my having forgotten to put them on “hold at all costs”, costing me one NM. My cavalry arrived the next day and massacred the Greens, but no NM pickup. The remnant Komuch forces are moving south along the Volga. Blucher and Vatsetis move to intercept them before they can get to Saratov. It is nice to control the rail net! On my “home department” screen, I don’t seem to have the option to make a propaganda campaign, instead there is something that says “2. opt_title_RED_REDMoreNep” that I can’t select. I'm going to stop with the recruitment/reform measures options until I raise my NM a little.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:55 am

Late June 1919, Allied involvement level goes to 4, Red morale 84, Southerners 116, Siberians 96. Resources 31 EP, 746$, 438 companies, 70 WS. Requisition and two recruiting missions complete. More subversions cancelled, why? Maybe because I just captured the provincial capital? Blucher and Tukachevsky light up the fleeing Komuch troops in Balakovo and take a thousand prisoners but somehow fail to win any NM. The Terek Cossacks in Grozny, outnumbered 2:1 by Kirov’s boys, sortie out and put him to flight. That’s what 116 NM will do for you. I really, really wish I could do a propaganda mission or two. Voroshilov arrived in Derbent this turn, though, and will attack along with Kirov. Outnumbered 6:1, we should be able to beat them. Then we can consider going on into the Donbas from the south. In confused fighting around Vinnitsia, Skatchko, Mironov, and Budenyy manage to defeat a mixture of Southern White and Ukrainian forces and clear the town. Now to build a depot and advance on Odessa and the Hungarian border. With luck, we will be able to bring some assistance to our Hungarian comrades before their revolution is defeated by the capitalists.

Early July 1919, Allied involvement level 4 (back to reporting every turn). Red morale 83, Southerners 116, Siberians 96. Resources 22 EPs, 354$, 250 companies, 15 WS. One recruiting mission complete. There are a total of 10 white breaches in Khabarovsk but our boys are still holding out. Ukraine Front advances towards Odessa, blasting a small White force at Balta out of the way. Mironov takes Khmelnik and pushes the Ukrainians back into Galicia. I establish a depot at Vinnitsa to supply all this activity. Stalin continues a slow advance into the Kuban. Zhloba raises the siege of Samarkand. At the other end of Turkestan, the British, ignoring their political masters, attack Zinoviev in Ashkhabad and drive him out (the text for intervention level 4 says they aren’t going to get involved directly…). Voroshilov and Kirov, taking advantage of overwhelming numerical superiority, finally drive the white Cossack forces out of Grozny. I imagine those guys have tons of experience now with the experience bug, that’s why 6,000 Cossacks are able to put up such a tough fight against 28,000 Reds.

Late July 1919. Allied involvement 4, red morale 88, Southerners 113, Siberians 94. Resources 30 EPs, 306$, 178 companies, 38 WS. I attempted both the “recruit prisoners” and the “party members join army” events this turn; neither was successful although I had all the requirements – plenty of EPs, plenty of prisoners, plenty of $. So the bug is still there. No missions this turn. The arms factory in Tula appears to have been completed but no mention was made of this in the events window. I will start another arms factory this turn since none of the other events seem to be working.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:00 am

Late July 1919 (revised). Allied involvement 4, red morale 88, Southerners 113, Siberians 94. Resources 30 EPs, 306$, 178 companies, 38 WS. I attempted both the “recruit prisoners” and the “party members join army” events this turn; neither was successful although I had all the requirements – plenty of EPs, plenty of prisoners, plenty of $. So the bug is still there. No missions this turn. The arms factory in Tula appears to have been completed but no mention was made of this in the events window. I will start another arms factory this turn since none of the other events seem to be working. Stalin still moving slowly towards Tikhoresk, no reaction from the southern Whites. Voroshilov and Kirov are still recovering in Grozny. Zinoviev will probe the Brits in Ashkhabad. Blucher and Tukachevsky shot up a pile of Komuch guys across the river from Saratov, and the fleeing enemy crossed the river right through our Volga Navy. Cheek! Also demonstrating that the AACW rule that 4 gunboats block a river apparently doesn’t work in Russia. Ukraine Front takes Odessa, and an event suggests that the Allies are going to pull out now. We’ll see. I haven’t seen any Frenchmen or Greeks at all, but the Japanese and Brits are very aggressive. The Archangel front hasn’t moved at all, allowing me to withdraw almost all forces from the far north.

Early August 1919. Allied involvement 4, red morale 81, southerners 116, Siberians 95. Resources 13 EPs, 151$, 122 companies, 50 WS. Ten subversion, three requisition, and two reform missions complete. A big honking White army suddenly appears and takes Kharkov. Ukraine Front and Konarmyia sent to confront them. Small White forces now also appear near Tzaritsyn and Stalin returns to attack them. Voroshilov and Kirov go on the offensive in the Caucasus. Zinoviev is heavily outnumbered by the Brits and elects not to attack. Blucher and Tukachevsky continue to chase the retreating Komuch. Trotsky arrives on the Baltic Front and will lead an assault on Pskov this turn.

Late August 1919. Allied involvement 4, red morale 85, southerners 115, Siberians 89. Resources 21 EPs, 409$, 142 companies, 60 WS. Three subversion and three requisition missions complete. The White army that was in Kharkov last turn dematerialized as Bronch-Bruevich showed up. Perhaps reports were exaggerated? Budenyy will lead the attack on Kharkov next turn. Ukrainians seemingly reviving their spirits at the White attack have launched an offensive in the western Ukraine. They took Vinnitsia last turn and got thrown out this turn in a big battle. They also retook Chernigov this turn, throwing out one of my new cavalry divisions. Voroshilov and 10th Army advance out of Grozny towards Armavir – all the cities are Red-controlled, but all the rail lines are destroyed so I will have to move slowly. Stalin chases away a White force near Tzaritsyn, but another White force remains in the area despite his passing through with an “assault” mission. Zhloba clears away Greens around Samarkand, heads down to Merv to hook up with Zinoviev and see if they can try something against the Brits. Don’t they know they have withdrawn from this war? Vatsetis and Siberian Front moves from Ufa towards Ekaterinburg; the local Whites seem to be totally preoccupied with fighting Greens.

Early September, 1919. Allied involvement 4, red morale 84, southerners 114, Siberians 89. Resources 29 EPs, 435$, 419 companies, 91 WS. Forgot to do building before pushing the “turn end” button again, d’oh! Two subversion and three recruitment missions complete. We successfully stormed Pskov at last. Trotsky will now move south to fight the Southern Whites in Kharkov, since they have now beaten Bronch-Bruevich. Voroshilov beats up on the Taman Cossacks in the Caucasus and advances, he’s running a little low on supplies, though. Tukachevsky, Kamenev, and Trotsky all to head for Kharkov, we’ll refrain from declaring war on the Balts until we have dealt with the Southern White offensive. Vatsetis maneuvering around a large Green force on his way to Ekaterinburg.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Late September 1919. Allied involvement level 2 (I did a diplomatic mission), red morale 82, Southerners 115, Siberians 90. Resources 17 EPs, 184$, 304 companies, 29 WS. Recruiting and requisition mission successful. White offensive in the eastern Ukraine continues with large white forces capturing Belgorod. Red forces in the area evade combat and fall back, awaiting reinforcements from the other fronts. Vatsetis besieges Ekaterinburg but its small garrison holds out. Zinoviev fights a tough battle against the British in Ashkhabad, inflicting over 3000 casualties but suffering nearly 5000 himself. I imagine it is this sort of bleeding that will push the Entente out of the war, so I am not unhappy. Perhaps the intervention level is tied to losses and that is why it went down two levels instead of the expected one?

Early October 1919. Allied involvement level 1, red morale 83, southerners 114, Siberians 85. Resources 20 EPs, 590$, 312 companies, 102 WS. Four requisition, 2 recruiting, 2 reform, 5 subversion missions complete. Whites run back from Belgorod to Kharkov to chase off a small Anarchist column that had besieged the place. Thanks Anarchists! Even without an alliance they are being helpful. They also take Kremenchuk and burn my depot there, so you have to take the rough with the smooth. Next turn Kamenev will arrive there with the Northern Front – maybe I’ll have him stop an area short. Vatsetis is arrested! What a bummer. Blucher will proceed to Ekaterinburg to take command of the Latvian division while Frunze will lead the new East Siberian Front. Ordzhonikidze pulls back from Ufa to Samara with the Siberian Front, facing a number of White units roaming between Orenburg and Saratov. The Volga fleet wins two battles against White gunboats between Tzaritsyn and Astrakhan – I wonder where they are based out of since the Whites hold no cities on the Volga now?

Late October 1919. Allied involvement level 0, Red morale 81, Southerners 112, Siberians 83. Resources 30 EPs, 114$, 282 companies, 13 WS. Nine subversion, three recruiting and a requisition mission complete. The game gives me a message that Frunze is angry at being passed over for army command but he is an army commander. This is weird. Northern, Eastern, and Western Fronts converging on a big Southern White concentration in the Kharkov-Belgorod region. I’m hoping that they will attack one of my fronts and get beaten up – even if they win – and then the other two fronts will converge on them. Otherwise, if they are willing to wait, I’ll wait a couple of turns until the host of divisions I built recently can join up.
Here's the situation in the Eastern Ukraine:
[ATTACH]14611[/ATTACH]
I’d really like to have over 3000 points total going into the big battle here. With the NM difference between our forces we have to have a big advantage in numbers to ensure victory. Stalin continues to wander about the Don region. I’m hoping he can take Novocherkassk and attract some Southern reserves his way. Voroshilov has to withdraw to the Caspian coast because of lack of supplies – that region doesn’t produce enough GS to feed his army. Frunze is in command in Ekaterinburg and I have sent him some reinforcements. If Blucher gets promoted, I’m going to send him to command the front currently led by Stalin.

Early November 1919. Allied involvement 0, Red morale 77, Southerners 117, Siberians 83. Resources 36 EPs, 369$, 329 companies, 53 WS. Two requisitions complete. Whites finally take Khabarovsk, using a column of Czech infantry! What are they doing out there? Their country has been independent for a year! There is also a Japanese division in Khabarovsk, though they didn’t attack me. At least the British are gone from Ashkhabad. The Southern whites attacked out of Belgorod at Staryy Oskol, pushing Northern Front back towards Voronezh but suffering 8000 casualties themselves. Looking at the scouting report for their units they appear to be up to full strength and packing about 1100 strength points. Trotsky and Tukachevsky have about 1800, they’re going to take Belgorod and wait for the whites to come back. They don’t appear to have any source of supply in the neighborhood though that is not so much of an obstacle in this game as it is in other AGEOD titles.
Here's the position this turn:
[ATTACH]14610[/ATTACH]
Stalin is making no progress in the Don – he was “blocked by enemy positions in the countryside” and has not even increased his military control of the region he is in. This has happened to me before, and the only solution is for him to leave the region and return. So he is going to shuffle back and forth along the rail line. Frunze wins a small battle around Ekaterinburg.
Attachments
Eastern Ukraine 2.jpg
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:09 am

Made a lot of progress yesterday:

Late November 1919. Allied involvement 0, Red morale 79, Southerners 116, Siberians 83. Resources 46 EPs, 435$, 282 companies, 70 WS. One requisition mission complete. Whites rush down from Staryy Oskol to try to retake Kharkov but Kamenev drives them off with considerable losses. Bronch-Bruevich drawing replacements and reorging in Voronezh. Trotsky and Tukachevsky having trouble moving into Belgorod because the bloody armored trains can’t move into an area where the rail lines have been destroyed. And for some reason, Tukachevsky’s army, which I had intentionally deprived of armored trains for precisely this reason, won’t go in any faster. I took him off “combined move” and last turn it said he would be there in 8 days, now it says he’ll be there in 7 days. Maybe it meant 8 months… It is quite late in the year to be running around in the steppe without a source of supplies, let’s hope the southern white army will now proceed to starve between Kharkov and Belgorod. But somehow I doubt it – I remember last game where the Komuch army spent the whole winter out in the open and came out without having suffered any losses at all, apparently. I have the historical attrition option checked – I wonder if it is actually working? Stalin has moved forward an area but still can’t make it to Novocherkassk. Voroshilov is pushing forward again in the Caucasus. Blucher will take the cavalry of the East Siberian Front and try to push towards Archangel, now that the Brits have apparently gone.

Early December 1919. Red morale 78, Southerners 112, Siberians 84. Resources 51, 559$, 329 companies, 60 WS. Five requisitions, four recruiting, five subversion missions complete. White army tries again to get into Kharkov and Kamenev turns them away again. Trotsky and Tukachevsky take Belgorod. Next turn, Tukachevsky and Bronch-Bruevich will converge on the White column; they must be low on org and replacements by now since they are out of supply and have moved and fought each turn for the last three. Stalin may be able to move into Novocherkassk next turn. Don Front under Antonov-Oseeneko moves down from Tzaritsyn to Salsk and finds it unoccupied. Voroshilov is also finding the western Caucasus unoccupied. A regiment marches down and takes Tikhoresk. I wonder if the Whites sent everything they had north? Ekaterinodar beckons! Reinforcements now pouring in to the fronts in the eastern Ukraine.

Late December 1919. Red morale 77, Southerners 112, Siberians 84. Resources 57 EPs, 255$, 68 companies, 37 WS. One requisition, one subversion missions complete. Tukachevsky defeated in a close fight in Chuihuv, we lose 4500, they lose 2600 casualties. Still, the large white force of a couple of turns ago is now down under 20000 men. Kamenev will attack next turn from Kharkov while Bonch-Bruevich takes over the task of defending. Blucher moves north towards Archangel. Ekaterinodar is defended by a small force, but next turn Voroshilov will hit there with 900 strength points. Hopefully, we can take it and push the Southern whites entirely out of the Kuban. Stalin has to stop short of Novocherkassk and reorganize after a small White spoiling attack knocks his org down big time. He is looking across the river at another small white force but it is just too big for him to think of an impromptu assault. In any case, he is no attacking leader.

Early January 1920, Red morale 84, Southerners 107, Siberians 84. Resources 67 EPs, 409$, 57 companies, 57 WS. Five subversion and two requisition missions complete. Not building much aside from artillery now. A few cavalry divisions from the new stockpile last turn. Kamenev beats up on the remaining Whites in the pocket east of Kharkov. Trotsky to head down the Donets to Lugansk next turn. Stalin will attack Novocherkassk (finally). Voroshilov defeated the Whites and Greens in Ekaterinodar, apparently the Greens were besieging the town. Should have let them get done…too late now. The town is besieged but Don Front is down to about 20 strength points thanks to serious loss of organization.

Late January 1920. Red morale 81, Southerners 107, Siberians 84. Resources 45 EPs, 280$, 283 companies, 84 WS. Two subversions, a requisition, and the partial mobilization event. Stalin takes Novocherkassk, Greens drive us back from Ekaterinodar. Remnant Whites in the east Ukraine pocket retreat to Staryy Oskol, pursued by Kamenev. Frunze begins a slow advance towards Chelyabinsk. Blucher crosses the Northern Dvina to get in position for an assault on Archangel. Stalin is reorging in Novocherkassk. Voroshilov falls back one area and reorganizes for another push on Ekaterinodar.

Early February 1920. Red morale 88, Southerners 102, Siberians 85. Resources 53 EPs, 590$, 181 companies, 91 WS. Four requisitions complete. I’m really feeling the lack of Tcheka missions now, the reform missions are not a sufficient substitute. Kamenev runs the fleeing White forces from the Kharkov-Belgorod pocket to ground in Staryy Oskol and destroys them, winning us a good deal of NM. He will now transfer to the Donbas front, pushing in via Donetsk towards Rostov. Trotsky is about ready to capture Lugansk, and Stalin will probe the defenses of Rostov. The Greens seem to be besieging Ekaterinodar and there are a few small White columns roaming around, but I think I may have destroyed the main Southern White field force.

Late February 1920. Red morale 92, Southerners 98, Siberians 83. Resources 63 EPs, 364$, 56 companies, 80 WS. Can’t build anything now but replacements and not enough of those. The Greens appear to have taken Ekaterinodar from the small Southern White garrison there – Voroshilov had a run-in with the Ekaterinodar garrison in the region to the NE of Ekaterinodar. I think I must have softened them up a couple of turns ago and the peasants came out of the woodwork and sacked the white “capital”. Tough luck on the Southern faction. Stalin takes Rostov, Trotsky takes Lugansk. Mai-Maievski is in the Lugansk region but he only has 87 strength points (to 1400 for Trotsky) so he intelligently avoids action. I’ll leave Budenyy behind to deal with him if he gets frisky.

Early March 1920. Red morale 110, Southerners 81, Siberians 83. Resources 85 EPs, 370$, 34 companies, 77 WS. Eleven subversion and three requisition missions complete. Voroshilov and Antonov-Ovseenko take Ekaterinodar. Trotsky bashes Mai-Maievski in Lugansk but gets held up there and does not advance to Rostov. Bonch-Bruevich takes Donetsk, advancing on Taganrog next turn. Tukachevsky transferred to control of Northern Front under Kamenev; to advance towards the Crimean isthmus next turn. He will prepare the route for Kamenev, who is still reorganizing after his tough fighting against the Whites in the east Ukraine pocket. The main Ukrainian army is now besieged in Poltava. Ashkhabad still besieged, neither of my leaders have been active for four turns now. Maybe this is why the Japanese waited so long to attack Khabarovsk? Blucher fails in his assault on Archangel, will withdraw for reorganization and resupply. I now have a full division committed to chasing Greens around between Rzehv and Smolensk.

Late March 1920. Red morale 108, Southerners 81, Siberians 82. Resources 91 EPs, 615$, 195 companies, 70 WS. Three requisitions, two recruiting and a reform mission completed this turn. The Ukrainians forces in Poltava proved to be more powerful than expected and launched a sortie but we managed to hold the siege lines. A battle broke out in Ashkhabad despite our defensive stance – perhaps they were trying to break out as well, but the siege also held there.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:24 am

Early April, 1920. Red morale 109, Southerners 82, Siberians 80. Resources 102 EPs, 805$, 284 companies, 86 WS. Three requisitions, two recruiting, and a political mission complete. A quiet turn under the rain. A naval battle in the Azov between my Don fleet and some White gunboats results in a victory for my boys, now maybe my forces from Rostov can cross and take Azov. Inconclusive fighting south of Azov between a reinforcement group led by Lazarevich (my newest general) and some Don Cossacks. A lot of little skirmishes with Greens around Moscow – the peasants are getting restless! Kamenev and Tukachevsky continue a slow advance towards the Crimea, repairing rail lines that had been smashed up by the Anarchists.

Late April 1920. Red morale 106, Southerners 78, Siberians 79. Resources 77 EPs, 460$, 564 companies, 49 WS. One requisition, two recruiting, and partial mobilization this turn. Trotsky captures Azov from a small White garrison. Kamenev storms Melitopol, kills a lot of whites but a few diehards remain in control of the city. Maybe more NM next turn?? Stalin and Bonch-Bruevich move towards the Polish frontier – I’m expecting a Polish invasion in the next turn. Stalin will control the southern front and Bonch-Bruevich the northern. Tukachevsky will join the northern front as soon as he has finished off the Crimean front (or if it stalls). Sieges of Chelyabinsk and Novorossiysk continue as Antonov and Frunze cannot be active to launch assaults. Another inconclusive assault at Ashkhabad. Many small battles against Greens in the central region.

Early May 1920. Red morale 111, Southerners 78, Siberians 76. Resources 84 EPs, 446$, 467 companies, 67 WS. Eleven subversion and three requisition missions complete. Ukrainians in Poltava surrender. The last of the refugees from Khabarovsk finally starved (except for the partisan cavalry units, who appear to be able to eat trees). That was a pretty good run for a position that ought to have been overrun the first turn. I haven’t had any partisan infantry for quite a while now. The event in this mod that makes them go home fired several times but no counterbalancing event has fired bringing new ones in. So much for the Red partisans… We are still beating up on the guys in Ashkhabad but there are still a few diehards holding out in the city. The place won’t be good for much after all this fighting, that’s for sure. Still, there are some NM points in it for me so I press on. Blucher has brought up some reinforcements and is ready to take another stab at Archangel. Stalin is pushing along the rail line west from Kiev, heading for the Polish border in the south, while Bonch-Bruevich is getting set up in Minsk. I hope to be able to fortify Minsk before the outbreak of the Polish war. Frunze assaults Chelyabinsk, inflicts significant damage, but is unable to get in. Antonov is still besieging Novorossiysk.

Late May 1920. Red morale 113, Southerners 78, Siberians 76. Resources 75 EPs, 439$, 206 companies, 64 WS. Three requisition and a reform mission completed. Trotsky beats up on a small White force south of Azov and picks up a couple of NM. Kamenev drives through Perekop without encountering any resistance at all. Next turn Sevastopol! Green rebellions breaking out all over in the central region. I am building a garrison for each city (generally a conscript regiment) and a flying column for each province consisting of an infantry brigade – either light or Vokhr – and a tachanka. My goal is to beat up on the Green units before they can swing military control over. Blucher is blocked by White gunboats on the Northern Dvina. I am building a new gunboat unit in Kotlas and hoping that my current one is enough to permit him to cross the river. Zinoviev finally takes Ashkhabad but the garrison escapes. They are in the space so hopefully he can fight them this turn. Frunze has yet to capture Chelyabinsk.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:10 am

Early June 1920. Red morale 116, Southerners 73, Siberians 76. Resources 84 EPs, 457$, 39 companies, 100 WS. Two requisitions and a subversion mission complete. The Northern Dvina fleet gets beat to heck by the White gunboats, two of my ships were sunk and the others are retreating to Kotlas with their tails between their legs. If Blucher wants to continue his drive on Archangel, he will have to go the long way around. Kamenev besieges Sevastopol. Antonov takes Novorossiysk. Trotsky, Antonov, and Voroshilov will displace to the Caucasus border, and I will declare war on the Caucasus republics in two or three turns if the Poles haven’t come in by that point. Avtonomov takes a small force up to Mozyr, which is the last town held by the Ukrainians. A whole bunch of fighting against Greens in the central region. Here's a screenshot of the green plague:

[ATTACH]14639[/ATTACH]

Late June 1920, Red morale 124, Southerners 63, Siberians 75. Resources 95 EPs, 624$, 66 companies, 124 WS. Two requisition missions complete. Melitopol surrenders to Tukachevsky, gaining us one NM for the remnants of a good White corps. On the other hand, Bogodorsk surrenders to the Greens (such humilitation!) costing us one NM and a 50-man cadre of a conscript infantry regiment that never got to grow. There is something wrong with this NM calculation for the surrender of garrisons. A big honking Siberian army appears from Siberia and begins to besiege Ekaterinburg. Luckily, it has a fortified lines. Frunze hurries back to see what he can do about it. I also dispatch Tukachevsky from the Ukraine front to join up; obviously the months that I have been spending on the Southerners have allowed the Siberians to rebuild their strength.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:56 am

Early July 1920. Red morale 122, Southerners 63, Siberians 75. Resources 101 EPs, 293$, 203 companies, 91 WS. Two recruitment, one requisition, two subversion missions complete. Kamenev takes Sevastopol, the last city held by the Southern Whites. Avtonomov besieges Mozyr, but he can’t assault for some reason. Zinoviev chasing greens on the Caspian coast while the remnants of the White forces from Ashkhabad flee towards Khiva. I’ve changed my mind and Trotsky and Antonov are going east to help out Frunze. The White gunboats in the Northern Dvina have moved down by Kotlas; Blucher will try sneaking across the northern part of the river to Archangel.

Late July 1920. Red morale 121, Southerners 63, Siberians 73. Resources 114 EPs, 107$, 24 companies, 54 WS. No missions this turn. The Siberian White forces retreated from Ekaterinburg as Frunze approached. I’m still sending my heavy units east and we will spend the rest of the summer pushing the Siberians back past Orel, I hope. Still no activity on the Polish front. Smart of them. Greens reproducing everywhere, I’m committing whole divisions to fight them now. They are an opponent at least as numerous as the whites if not as effective one for one. Blucher gets to Archangel but is unsuccessful in getting into the city by assault; he sits down for a siege. Wishing I’d built some more heavy artillery.

Early August 1920. Red morale 119, Southerners 63, Siberians 73. Resources 125 EPs, 395$, 279 companies, 95 WS. Three requisition, three recruiting, and two subversion missions complete. Siberian Whites return to Ekaterinburg and find Frunze in position. It looks from the scouting report as if he is stronger than the White force but I’m not ready to gamble on an attack. I’ll wait until the reinforcements arrive. Thanks to Greens bashing up our rail lines that might be a month or six weeks away. Lots of skirmishing against greens in the center. A big load of them in Serpukhov southwest of Moscow pinned a defeat on an entire corps of well-equipped and highly-experienced Red infantry. I’m having to take these guys more and more seriously. Luckily I have plenty of troops to spare to keep them in line. I wish there was some way to keep them in line politically – I really miss my Cheka missions right now. Blucher has recovered most of his org and will attempt another assault against Archangel, as the structure is now fully breached. Zinoviev roaming around Krasnovdsk while Zhloba moves on Aralsk.

Late August, 1920. Allied intervention level returns to 1. The Whites must have done a mission. I don’t seem to have the option to respond in kind, though. Red morale 122, Southerners 61, Siberians 72. Resources 135 EPs, 409$, 113 companies, 597 WS. Blucher took Archangel and captured a large stockpile of Siberian White WS, I think is what happened. Two requisitions complete. Two of my little garrisons surrendered to the Greens, costing me two NM. Frustrating! Greens are also hindering movement through the central area by blowing rail lines. Antonomov finally takes Mozyr – that’s the last Ukrainian city. Frunze fights the Siberian White army in Ekaterinburg and wins, but only gets 1 point of NM. The Siberians were probably on conservative attack. I’m going to test something that somebody said in the forums – that you can’t do missions in Petrograd, Novgorod, or Minsk unless you declare war on the Balts. I’m moving Stalin up to Vilnius and in a couple of turns I’ll try declaring war on the Balts.

Early September 1920. Allied intervention 1. Red morale 122, Southern 61, Siberian 72. Resources 146 EPs, 131$, 135 companies, 499 WS. Seven subversion, a requisition, and a recruiting mission. Tukachevsky has arrived in Izhevsk and heads for Vyatka next turn to drive out a very large Green uprising. Kamenev is in Sarapul waiting for his heavy artillery to come up from Kazan before heading on to Yekaterinburg. From there, he’ll head on to Chelyabinsk with the ultimate objective of Orsk. Frunze will move along the northern rail line. Ordzhonikidze is coming up from Ufa along the rail line to Chelyabinsk, once the two armies make contact he will return to the Volga region to deal with Greens. Trotsky is at Orenburg, hoping to connect through to the Orenburg front. Blucher moves down from Archangel towards the Petrograd region; he will take command of the newly-trained troops being brought up by Parsky and invade Estonia in two turns. Bonch-Bruevich and Stalin will be in position to invade Latvia next turn. Voroshilov and Kirov remain in reserve in the Tzaritsyn-Ekaterinodar corridor keeping down Greens and ready to invade the Caucasus when reinforcements can be spared for them. I’m going to raise another corps with Parsky when I can spare the recruits and he will send them to the Caucasus front. Zhloba and Zinoviev are trying to take Aralsk – since they can never activate it has held out for several turns now.

Late September 1920. Allied involvement goes to 2. Maybe they’re getting nervous? Red morale 124, Southerners 61, Siberians 66. Resources 157 EPs, 66$, 57 companies, 529 WS. No missions today. Frunze beats up on the White army outside Ekaterinburg but again fails to score big in the NM department. Trotsky takes Orenburg. Tukachevsky takes Glazov against minimal Green resistance, but then I decide to transfer him to the Baltic front. He will command Parsky’s column while Blucher goes into Estonia via Narva. Tukachevsky and his troops will have the option of moving towards Tallinn or Riga at need. We invade next turn. Ordzhonikidze takes Zlatoust after a multi-day battle that costs him several thousand casualties. He’s really an incompetent. Zhloba still can’t get it together to assault Aralsk even though next turn he will be out of supplies. A regiment from Fort Perovskiy will hopefully do the honors. I’m doing the paper money printing thing – first time this game.

Early October, 1920. Big series of error messages, and finally a CTD. I'll try again later. Log files and save game in the Mod forum.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:17 am

Early October, 1920. Big series of error messages, but the turn seems to have finished. When I load and click “continue game” it comes up with the early October turn. Allied involvement level returns to 0 (???). Red morale 121, Southerners 61, Siberians 66. Resources 142 EPs, 624$, 224 companies, 598 WS. Four requisition, two recruiting, three subversion, and two reform missions complete. Budenyy besieging Vyatka, the large Green force puts up a heck of a fight against 900 strength points of experienced Red troops. The declaration of war against the Baltic States takes effect and our forces are ready to pour in. I move Kamenev to Pskov to command a newly-created Western Front, composed of Blucher and Tukachevsky’s armies attacking respectively north and south of Lake Piepus. The Red Volga fleet has been moved to Kronstadt and is supposed to enter Lake Piepus to fight off the little Estonian navy but I can’t seem to pass by Narva. Stalin will move from Vilna to Riga by rail – we control all the rail lines in Lithuania, strangely enough – while Bonch-Bruevich goes the other way, through Latvia. Stalin drops off a small column under Lebedev composed of two divisions who will take Kaunas and hope to hold out against any Germans or Poles who come along. I’m fixing up my supply net which has been somewhat shredded by Green insurrectionaries – for example, the depot in Tambov was destroyed and I accumulated huge surpluses on either side. On the Ural front, Timoshenko is moving along the southern rail line from Sarapul to Yekaterinburg while another smaller column moves along the Perm-Yekaterinburg line. Once they get to Yekaterinburg, Frunze will take the offensive. The White forces have withdrawn along the northern rail line towards Tyumen, so I guess I will have to follow. In Turkemistan, Zhloba’s force now entirely out of supplies and he never activated to storm Aralsk, defended by only a few thousand white militiamen. Zinoviev will arrive this turn to do the honors and hopefully rescue the starving comrades and shoot Zhloba. Trotsky is pursuing fleeing whites near Orenburg while Makhin defends Orenburg itself.

While trying to execute the turn, I had a CTD. When I loaded up and went to “continue game”, the order file was there and the turn appeared to execute normally, until the very end when another series of error messages appeared and then the game hung. When I finally got tired of waiting and bailed out using the Task Mangler, the order file was deleted and I ended up at the beginning of Early October 1920 again.

I’m about to play a PBEM with Andatiep so I think I will end this AAR here. Herewith some general comments on the mod:

The primary goal of Clovis in this mod was to make the AIs smarter and more aggressive. This has been achieved. The Ukrainians put up a good fight. The Anarchists were a little passive but still seized much of their area of operations. The Southern Whites were perhaps a little too aggressive. They attacked Kharkov and I managed to cut off their supplies and close in on them from all sides. The Siberian Whites fought well in the early stages for control of the Volga cities, then laid off for quite a while, giving me the opportunity to direct resources to the southern front. By the time they launched a new offensive, I had built up my armies sufficiently that I could successfully defend that region with a secondary effort. Ultimately, they were no longer a threat after I captured Perm and Yekaterinburg, just as I expected in my initial planning. The real success story of this game was the Greens. They were a major hindrance to Red operations (and, I perceived, also to the Siberian Whites) from early 1920 on. I had at least a full front’s worth of troops – more than 1000 strength points – fighting them full-time and at one point had to send a field army of almost 1000 to clear up a particularly large nest. Their capacity to form large units is a capacity that they did not demonstrate in vanilla. I never got to test the Polish, Caucasus, or Baltic AI’s.

I believe the passivity of the Polish and, to a lesser extent, Baltic and Finnish forces, is a potential weakness of the mod. Clovis suggested that it was possible for the Poles (and maybe the Balts) to enter the war on their own initiative. In this game they did not. Ultimately, I was able to strip the Polish border of almost all its garrison in order to assemble an overwhelming force against the Balts. Then, had the game gone on, I would have done the same thing to the Caucasus states, to the Poles, and ultimately to the Finns. I’m wondering if the crash that finally ended the game might have something to do with this – if the Polish entry system in the mod is bugged. I noticed something Polish in the error log that I posted on the Mod forum. Perhaps the Poles were trying to enter the war. It certainly would have been a good time for them to do so. Large Red forces operating northwest of Minsk and Vilna could have been cut off by a Polish offensive, or at least forced to withdraw to the east and leave the Balts alone.

I recommend against trying the NEP as the Communists. You need the Cheka to keep the Greens in order. Keeping loyalties in your provinces over 55% or so is essential to your peace of mind and ability to move supplies and troops around between your fronts easily. The reform missions are insufficient in number and effectiveness to counterbalance the lack of the Cheka mission. Only if “reforms” is much more effective in restoring loyalty can you get away with only being able to do two of them at a time. I was never able to select the policy choice “more NEP” – I don’t know if I didn’t achieve some pre-requisite or if the option was bugged.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Athens
Brigadier General

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:
I believe the passivity of the Polish and, to a lesser extent, Baltic and Finnish forces, is a potential weakness of the mod. Clovis suggested that it was possible for the Poles (and maybe the Balts) to enter the war on their own initiative. In this game they did not. Ultimately, I was able to strip the Polish border of almost all its garrison in order to assemble an overwhelming force against the Balts. Then, had the game gone on, I would have done the same thing to the Caucasus states, to the Poles, and ultimately to the Finns. I’m wondering if the crash that finally ended the game might have something to do with this – if the Polish entry system in the mod is bugged. I noticed something Polish in the error log that I posted on the Mod forum. Perhaps the Poles were trying to enter the war. It certainly would have been a good time for them to do so. Large Red forces operating northwest of Minsk and Vilna could have been cut off by a Polish offensive, or at least forced to withdraw to the east and leave the Balts alone.

I recommend against trying the NEP as the Communists. You need the Cheka to keep the Greens in order. Keeping loyalties in your provinces over 55% or so is essential to your peace of mind and ability to move supplies and troops around between your fronts easily. The reform missions are insufficient in number and effectiveness to counterbalance the lack of the Cheka mission. Only if “reforms” is much more effective in restoring loyalty can you get away with only being able to do two of them at a time. I was never able to select the policy choice “more NEP” – I don’t know if I didn’t achieve some pre-requisite or if the option was bugged.

1) poland: fixed. The bug was a missing "w" :w00t:

Balts and Caucasus won't enter into war , both being small Nations whose only objective was survival. But Red player will get NM losses until war is declared on Balts. And state of war against Balt rises the chances Poland entering the fight....But seizing Baltic territory is too a way to protect Petrograd from Yudenitch, so Red strategy is to be defined along circumstances...

NEP has been improved in the next version: there are both a risk of failure ( -1 Conscription and - 1 requisition ) and sucess ( +1 to +2 reform policies while keeping the same req. and csc Regional Policies).

More Nep was bugged indeed. Fixed.
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

Athens
Brigadier General

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:33 pm

Don't trust this AAR. Old version, and .... Go take a look on the Matrix forum :)
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

TheDoctorKing

Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:32 am

Yes, hopefully I helped to identify some issues with the old version and allow Athens to improve the new one. I'm hoping to take a crack at the new version in a few weeks.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Good AAR thanks for posting ! :)
This game needs good pbem games ongoing and more AAR's posted, hopefully there will be. Narwhal should definetely post one. ;)

Narwhal

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:19 am

I know I should, Baris, but posting AAR takes AGES (think 30 mn to 1 hour per turn showed) and I am really occupied right now with IRL stuff. (my girlfriend believes I am losing my time doing that sort of thing few people read - but then she edits the Romanian Wiki on French and American writers, so...)

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:35 am

Narwhal wrote: but then she edits the Romanian Wiki on French and American writers, so...)

Well. Birds of a feather flock together Or stewpot found the proper lid ! as a saying for describing similar people. :mdr:

It should be time consuming indeed then actually playing, we should start another Pbem game. ;)

Return to “RUS: Revolution Under Siege AARs”