Ebbingford

Wish list for next patch

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:12 am

Here's what I can think of so far......

1. Change the figure for the British Fusilier so that it is wearing a mitre.
2. Saxon cavalry replacements are needed.
3. Some sort of message as to what the sudden death entails.
4. Either change how the Poor Sanitation event fires or do away with it so you just have the typhus event.
5. Make sure that all of the strategic towns are listed on the objectives page of the ledger.
6. Change the fortress artillery so that they are heavy artillery type for replacement purposes.
7. Strengths of some of the British cavalry units need tweaking, see here http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=195294&postcount=19
8. Rename the moors terrain to deep forest as in RuS.
9. Remove the insurrection infantry from the Austrian build list and add the missing militia, small and medium militia garrisons.
10. Events that alter NM should have a tooltip telling that side what has happened, some don't at the moment.

Thats all I can think of at the moment, feel free to add more.. :D

PhilThib

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 am

Fine for me.

Point 5 is confusing, as Strategic Towns (ST) and Objectives are two completely different things. In AGE games, ST have never been listed in the ledger, they are the same for all nations and only on map, indicated by a different city plate (darker, white font).

Objectives are assigned per nation, and identified usually by a star symbol next to the plate. Objectives may be ST (often), but they can also be regular non-ST cities or forts...

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 am

Adding up Ebbingford's 10.
11. Pirna event: Either lowering the number of garrison or the event shouldnt fire. When assaulted directly it gives big NM advantage to Prussia,
12. Cavalry depot bns(not frequent as line inf depot) or via options.
13. Build times of Elite and line inf depot bns. I think elite can last 12 turns while line inf needs 9 turns. 6 turns can be sufficient. 3 element replacements can take same time as a new unit consist of 6 element.
14.Ferdinand to Hannover event can duplicate Ferdinand as both prussian and Brunswick general.
15. French General(3 star, didnt remember the name) can die before intended timeframe. I think Lodilefty mentioned it. It occured in my Pbem game also.

16. Edit: The 3-star English Duke doesn't appear in Hannover or anywhere else when the log text says he should. Maybe it's because Zastrow of HAN had already died in my game? (the changelog says * Fixed Duke of Cumberland arrival to ensure he joins Zastrow of HAN, not Zastrow of PRU).
Lodilefty: I think we have the "fix", but need to test it, and thus need the situation where Zastrow of HAN is killed before arrival of the Duke of Cumberland (arrival date is Late April, 1757) it was reported also.

Ebbingford

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 am

PhilThib wrote:Fine for me.

Point 5 is confusing, as Strategic Towns (ST) and Objectives are two completely different things. In AGE games, ST have never been listed in the ledger, they are the same for all nations and only on map, indicated by a different city plate (darker, white font).

Objectives are assigned per nation, and identified usually by a star symbol next to the plate. Objectives may be ST (often), but they can also be regular non-ST cities or forts...

See here http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18973

PhilThib

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:03 am

OK, I misunderstood your point...the issue comes from the lack of space on the ledger for objectives not displayed. As for strategic towns, it's weird...probably an engine issue that needs checking indeed :cool:

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:55 pm

I think the event which brings in the Armée La Dauphine is bugged. Currently it keeps this army commanded by Soubise locked for ten turns. Historically Soubise and this army worked in conjunction with the Reicharmee and was defeated in November 1757 at Rossbach. As it stands now they won't be released until January 1758.

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:39 pm

In the 1756 Campaign setup, Links Kolumn is commanded by Bevern but Wedell's brigade supersedes him in command since his seniority is higher. They need to switch seniority's (52 and 54 respectively).
Markgraf Karl Korps is trickier. Karl Markgraf Schwedt (unit Markgraf) should be in command, but as a two-star he will always be superseded by Prinz Wilhelm who is a three-star. I suggest switching their ranks or give Karl Markgraf Schwedt three-stars with a seniority of 10, and switching Kurt von Schwerin's to 9 to keep him as the senior three-star.
You have the army's setup correctly in the scenario file...but it's the ranks and seniority's that need adjusting.

Edit 1: you will also need to change Karl Markgraf Schwedt's max rank to 2 and title to General.

Edit 2: Prinz Wilhelm has this in his file, but it doesn't show up. is this WAD? Ability1 = $Multinational

Edit 3: Should we have a death event for Wilhelm von Preussen since he did die of a brain tumor on June 12, 1758.

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:33 am

Moritz von Anhalt-Dessau has the militiaman trait showing up, but his model says Offensive Master. It should read Offensive_Terrain_Analyst according to the Abilities spreadsheet.

PhilThib

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:31 am

In AGE engine games, when you see militiaman as an ability (very rare in ROP), it's usually a typo in the name of the ability that 'should' be there in stead, because unread abilities due to typos default to ability 0, which is militiaman ;)

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:04 pm

The only item on my wishlist has to do with the map.

In the demo there are many towns and cities that are in the wrong places relative to each other, and there are problems with the rivers (e.g. the Elster and the Elbe). And these aren't obscure, marginal locations: most of them are right smack in the center of operations and have a distorting effect on how the different armies will maneuver.

I love the subject of the game, but won't buy it or even try to play it as long as there are blatant geographical mistakes on the map. I'm still recovering from the map of the Napoleonic Campaigns game.

Now if someone comes along and says the map was corrected in an earlier patch I'll be as happy as a clam and actually buy the game , but as it stands I don't really feel like investing any time into this game if the geography isn't going to get fixed. I'd even be willing to put some time into figuring out what needs to be moved on the map and where it needs to be moved to, but I haven't noticed any official noises suggesting that map issues won't get relegated to an obscure thread that can be conveniently forgotten about.

I was in the French school system a very long time ago, but what always struck me when I think back on it was that geography was a serious academic subject. Has the educational system changed that much, or is this just a bit of culturally induced myopia that sets in once you cross the German border?

Stoertebeker
Corporal

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:09 am

1. Change the figure for the British Fusilier so that it is wearing a mitre.
2. Saxon cavalry replacements are needed.
3. Some sort of message as to what the sudden death entails.
4. Either change how the Poor Sanitation event fires or do away with it so you just have the typhus event.
5. Make sure that all of the strategic towns are listed on the objectives page of the ledger.
6. Change the fortress artillery so that they are heavy artillery type for replacement purposes.
7. Strengths of some of the British cavalry units need tweaking, see here http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost....4&postcount=19
8. Rename the moors terrain to deep forest as in RuS.
9. Remove the insurrection infantry from the Austrian build list and add the missing militia, small and medium militia garrisons.
10. Events that alter NM should have a tooltip telling that side what has happened, some don't at the moment.

11. Pirna event: Either lowering the number of garrison or the event shouldnt fire. When assaulted directly it gives big NM advantage to Prussia,
12. Cavalry depot bns(not frequent as line inf depot) or via options.
13. Build times of Elite and line inf depot bns. I think elite can last 12 turns while line inf needs 9 turns. 6 turns can be sufficient. 3 element replacements can take same time as a new unit consist of 6 element.
14.Ferdinand to Hannover event can duplicate Ferdinand as both prussian and Brunswick general.
15. French General(3 star, didnt remember the name) can die before intended timeframe. I think Lodilefty mentioned it. It occured in my Pbem game also.

16. Edit: The 3-star English Duke doesn't appear in Hannover or anywhere else when the log text says he should. Maybe it's because Zastrow of HAN had already died in my game? (the changelog says * Fixed Duke of Cumberland arrival to ensure he joins Zastrow of HAN, not Zastrow of PRU).

I would like to add some of the issues that others had mentioned plus some new ones:

17. Casualties (or prisoners) result in losses of conscripts?

18. Higher death rate for leaders.

19. Make forts firing on bypassing boats.
[INDENT]
May it be that there is just one number to be changed in the GameRules.opt? There stands:

// Forts blocking ship passage: 0: every region can do that (if have guns), 1: needs to have StraitBlock indicated in Exmap in addition

rulStraitBlockOn = 0
[/INDENT]

20. The "Northener" trait should be tweaked.

[INDENT](The swedish now fight with penalties on their own ground (Pommern and Mecklemburgs are not Northern Germany in game terms ;) ): Maybe adding Prussia and Mark as areas to the 130Northerner.abi file could already do it?)
[/INDENT]

21. No more auto-upgrades of experienced Line-Infantery units

My personal list of priorities:
17. seems urgent to me.
9., 4., 5. would balance the game or correct really weird things.
18, 19, 20 require very little ressources and thus should be done, even if the impact is minor.

I would welcome the other stuff too, of course.

:thumbsup:

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:45 am

Philippe wrote:The only item on my wishlist has to do with the map.

In the demo there are many towns and cities that are in the wrong places relative to each other, and there are problems with the rivers (e.g. the Elster and the Elbe). And these aren't obscure, marginal locations: most of them are right smack in the center of operations and have a distorting effect on how the different armies will maneuver.

I love the subject of the game, but won't buy it or even try to play it as long as there are blatant geographical mistakes on the map. I'm still recovering from the map of the Napoleonic Campaigns game.

Some of the wishes in this thread seem a bit unrealistic.

Minor details of uniforms? - I don't think AGEOD will ask the graphics designer to redo those. What is more, unit images aren't made to represent each particular regiment, but one image was chosen for each type of regiment. It would require hundreds of additional images to achieve historical accuracy for each unit.

As concerns the map. It is beautifully done and it would be a major undertaking to rework it. It has been done for ACW by a volunteer. But unless someone equally enthousiastic jumps on the task, I think you are asking for too much.
But I agree, it would be great. It is somewhat disgraceful how many things are off. I really wonder where the data came for that map.
What I hate most is Southern Germany, it's unbelievable how many things are off in that part of the map:
- political frontiers (just take a look at Bavaria and Wurtemberg (extends until Nuremberg and includes Augsburg but not Stuttgart and Tubingen the two cities that served as its capitals historically!),
- city names are misspelled (e.g. Bade should be Baden-Baden; Mergenthenn is Bad Mergentheim),
- regions are in the wrong place (Furth being next to Heidenheim and not next to Nuremberg).

That said, I don't believe these things will change. I think we should be glad that AGEOD is incredibly dedicated to long-term support for their games and does fix the things that can be fixed within a reasonable amount of time.

BigDuke66
General

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:10 am

BTW why should "moors terrain" be changed to "deep forest"?
Moor is more swamp like than a deep forest, even if both use the same values the terrain should be named just like it's named in reality.

Also we really have more important things to do like graphics, map, etc. not that those things are unimportant but this game has THE longest campaign(well besides NCPs Spain campaign) and is not showing a campaign but a whole war, so to get that right so that it doesn't run wild and ends in a total unrealistic way should be top priority.
Things like this:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=20659
especially the second point "Change the upgrading of the trained infantry" is something to really consider if you what to stay historical & realistic.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

hgilmer
Captain

Mine...

Tue May 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Do you think we'll ever see in an Ageod game the ability to not have to take out of the stack the general to be promoted?

Narwhal

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 am

Another bug (feature) that could be solved :

The leader of a column or army can never create a brigade...
... except with Garde-du-Corps units, which make sense if you know what Garde-du-Corps means.

Unfortunately, as soon as you create a brigade with the Garde-du-Corps unit, the leader lose his CiC status or his chief of column status, which defeats the point.

Solving this small bug would be nice, especially after you increase the mortality of leaders.

Florent

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 am

after you increase the mortality of leaders.
What you are talking about here ? Battles, Illness ?

In the playtest, you could lose 5-6 leaders per turn because of illness and there is not so much of them.
In battles most of the losses were Regimental Commanders and are not in the game. Seven years of game is very long...

Stoertebeker
Corporal

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:19 am

Florent wrote: after you increase the mortality of leaders.
What you are talking about here ? Battles, Illness ?

In the playtest, you could lose 5-6 leaders per turn because of illness and there is not so much of them.
In battles most of the losses were Regimental Commanders and are not in the game. Seven years of game is very long...

You have to be very unlucky to lose leaders in a regular battle. As I'm playing mostly the austrian side, I can just tell for them: Even if I didn't manage to evacuate the saxon leaders (what is quite easy) I always had more than enough leaders. I think, that more leaders died or resigned (after humiliating defeats) than ingame. In RuS, I had the impression, that leaders died too frequently, in RoP they die very slowly.

Narwhal also mentioned the uselessness of the "Create new General" option for Prussia, so I think, it wouldn't hurt to augment the deathrate a bit.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 pm

I really would like the opportunity to construct more units other then depot bns via more resources given to the player whether by options or increasing concript companies or money gain from objective cities,or commerce ships. That way it will be somehow a lesser(for game balance) problem(In the battle logs it is obvious that general with high offense rating can increase offensive fire chance of infantry by ex:%60) for a good Prussian general to die more frequently. As Prussians have better infantry.(like north has better infantry in ACW). But all the French,Russia and Austria generals(İncluding commander in chiefs) can have high mortality rate :D They didnt help anyway :neener:
In Rus, game is more about building units and using regional policies. Game balance is pushing Reds to be strong even without leaders or leaders without good ratings. There is high probability Denikin and Trosky can die in a small skirmish. I have seen in ROP or RUS unttached leader(1 star general) to division in the corps can die in a battle. Can be a bug.

Florent

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:54 pm

I really would like the opportunity to construct more units

Keep in mind here that the" in game" Rgts are based on the historical number available at this time for exemple 49 Rgts of Regular infantry thus you will not get more Btns. The number was increased after the war and after Poland was shared between Prussia, Austria and Russia.

You have to remember also that at this time economy was important to bring back the money to pay the campaigns thus most of the men were working at home and were not on the battlefield...
When it is said that Prussia had difficulty to find soldiers(Prussians), don't imagine a bloodbath like WWII, Fred simply chose economy and money rather than soldiers and actually he took the prisonners of war and saxons by force in his army to recover his losses.

13 years boys were indeed put in the army but they were officers.

What should be corrected in the game are the saxons rgts in prussian service, they should have Prussian soldiers, uniforms and color not Saxons...and using prussian conscript unit/model.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:51 pm

"13 years boys were indeed put in the army but they were officers."

That is very interesting detail and tragic part of history. It looks officers were scarce to command. Contradiction is, Bns waiting elite replacements to replenish :w00t: can not fight without them.

It is pretty much fair argument to say Frederick decided to replenish losses or improving economy rather than recruiting new troops. It is very logical to think any conflict can not last 7 years with ww1 type warfare in that era or any other. Though my historical knowledge about the conflict pretty much limited . :( But the difficult part is to resist building powerfull well-disciplined Prussian Grenadiers or magnificient Prussian heavy cavalry in some extent. :)
Im very much convinced that building anyhing more then 1000-5000 regiments wont be a realistic implementation of history. So possibly choices for the player, building few units or depot bns.

On the other hand as gameplay wise, there is a limitation in the engine(Understanding that part of the age engine also limited in that respect) of merging damaged,depleted elements where the only solution is to move them out of region for preventing great NM loss when catched in cities by the enemy. I think it would be very unhistorical and unrealistic also if Prussia sent depleted under strenght 5 regiment to fight Austria in the front line. It is pretty much frustrating and not enjoyable for the player to wait French elite bns to replenish 3 months and tactically moving them all the way to Paris. It also doesnt make sense Prussians stop fighting as there is not enough elite replacements.
Im also pretty confused about the replacement system in RUS,ROP and ACW. In one game where you can order 50 line replacements in one turn and in the other there is depleted elements. Was there difference that much historically about finding men and money.?
I m afraid I should disagree about the part what really should be corrected. At least replacements can be better for cavalry and infantry.

Stoertebeker
Corporal

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:52 pm

@baris: For the problem with the elite replacements: try this.

If you still have depleted elements, a solution could be to let them starve. I think that you don't get NM-penalties on starving units, but at least, you avoid to give your enemy a bonus.

@Florent: Yes, I agree with your arguments: It should not be possible to have huge numbers of soldiers. But: There is already a mighty constraint to this implemented in the engine: manpower (conscripts), money and war supplies. If the war supplies would become more important (everything, but especially Guns and Cavalry could cost much more of this), everything would be fine and limited.

Florent

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:06 pm

If you still have depleted elements, a solution could be to let them starve. I think that you don't get NM-penalties on starving units, but at least, you avoid to give your enemy a bonus.

Actually i think that a system or solution could be done to have replacements during january -april simulating the final recruitment to fill the ranks. with Austrians or French prisonners as well as Saxon men taken by force from home.
Here again this is not the Civil War or World Wars, the campaig were done by year, 1756 to 1762 and each yearly campaign was done by complete units although by war end some Rgts were not rebuild.

Florent

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Also don't forget that players experiences can be different. Players will play like Grant, others like a XVIII century General mind and will retreat and be cautious after a defeat. Anyway no Blitzkrieg here ;)

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Thanks Stoertebeker I'll try that :) Though good amount French troops are Grenadiers/elite in the beginning of scenario. I'll take a look. Or better all of them can starve and perish :D

Florent: In our game with Narwhal in paradox forum, Austrian side were very cautious about even moving in the first 2 years. Warfare doctrine of Austria was "movement doctrine" :) I honestly dont think players experience will be different about scarce of Elite bns. After 2-3 years of warfare it is very possible to see 2 depleted elements(Grenadier) and 3 regular healthy elements(After whole elements of grenadier destroyed,replaced by regular elements) in a unit. It is hard to think what to do with half-strenght unit.

I think there is also a bug in the code(EXE) about destroyed elements not returning to concripts companies. Though I can not check that.

Florent

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 am

I think there is also a bug in the code(EXE) about destroyed elements not returning to concripts companies. Though I can not check that.

I think that in the first time or two, you should be able to rebuilt your units as they were before, remember Kürnesdorf, the prussian army routed in the end and Fred had about 3000 soldiers or so left but after a few days he had more than 18000, the soldiers came back to their unit and thus were recreated. The prussian NCOs needed about 15 days if i remember to create a prussian soldier and they were always Cadre left, as for me, the prussians should be made of elite, trained or not trained, the conscript unit didn't exist and should be delated. ;)

Return to “Help to improve RoP”