lordhoff
Conscript

Setting Ambushes

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm starting to think that when one sets an ambush, if successful, it's in the beginning hex (of a move) and not the end hex as one would intuitively believe. Is that correct? If so, is there a good reason? Related, if that is true as it appears, then a desired defensive posture until the end of the move is thwarted as it changes to offensive in the initial area. Reason: moving past areas with forts into a likely area the enemy will move that turn to set the ambush. What I'm seeing is a defensive posture changed by the AI to offensive then seeing the unit move.

AEWHistory
Conscript

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:42 am

I have some questions about ambush as well that are in this vein. For instance, does the ambushed force need to be set to defense to gain the terrain bonus? If so, will they not attack a force moving thru their terrain if they aren't on attack? I really like this option--and the game in general--but the game concepts need a bit more explanation.

EDIT: 'about' not 'above.

lordhoff
Conscript

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 am

AEWHistory wrote:I have some questions about ambush as well that are in this vein. For instance, does the ambushed force need to be set to defense to gain the terrain bonus? If so, will they not attack a force moving thru their terrain if they aren't on attack? I really like this option--and the game in general--but the game concepts need a bit more explanation.

EDIT: 'about' not 'above.

Unfortunately, this isn't a very robust site. However, while it doesn't answer your question, I have noticed that if you set for defense, the AI changes it to offense.

Hobbes

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:08 pm

This may give some info - also there are a few other threads that cover ambushes :-

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=10194&highlight=ambush

Cheers, Chris

Durk

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:13 am

The force can move, but must start in a region where ambush is allowed and end in a region with ambush allowed.
Typically, setting an ambush without moving is the best.
Defense only. As an attacker you lose the advantage of ambush. As defense, if you are in an area you control, necessary for an ambush, the moving opponent changes to attack. This means the ambush happens and you have the benefit of defensive posture.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”