Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

General Is/Isn't Promotable

Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:14 pm

I thought it would be nice to recognize LG Grant's service by promoting him to full, **** General. His detail card says that he is promotable and his seniority is 1, but the promotion button is grayed-out. I tried detaching him from his army HQ, putting him by himself, etc, but nothing has worked. Any thoughts?
"firstest with the mostest"

"I fights mit Sigel"

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:33 pm

"Promotable" does not mean "can be promoted right now". It's a statement of potential. When you see "Promotable? No," that means the Leader can never be promoted above the rank he holds.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:39 pm

GraniteStater wrote:"Promotable" does not mean "can be promoted right now". It's a statement of potential. When you see "Promotable? No," that means the Leader can never be promoted above the rank he holds.

Sure, but he also has a Seniority of 1, which is the other requisite of which I am aware.

"I fights mit Sigel"

soloswolf
General of the Army

Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:45 pm

I think there is a 4* model of Grant for one of the scenarios, but AFAIK you can never promote someone to 4*.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Cromagnonman wrote:Sure, but he also has a Seniority of 1, which is the other requisite of which I am aware.

You can fit the bill in every particular, but it still doesn't mean that you can promote him, right now, right away, that's what I'm saying - it's program dependent. Ya gotta wait until the code lets you.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Mortar
Sergeant

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 pm

I have to agree that I don't think any leader is promotable to 4*. The "Promotable? Yes" Just means that you can promote him from the rank you receive him at (Maj Gen**) to a 3* Lieutenant General. I think about every general says that they are promotable, but unless his command performs well in battle (or for a scripted reason, it occurs) he will not be praised and become "up for promotion".

Mickey3D

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:06 am

Cromagnonman wrote:Sure, but he also has a Seniority of 1, which is the other requisite of which I am aware.

Grant has to win at least a battle where he will win some experience to have the "promotion" button available. though I don't know the precise victory condition required.

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Not every general is always promotable. For instance, Meagher has been a MG for years in my game, but is promotable no. Grant has just won a large victory, advancing his seniority to 1. I think the most correct answer is that he is listed as promotable because there is a **** model of him, but not (yet) in this scenario.

"I fights mit Sigel"

Gray_Lensman

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:21 pm

deleted

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:No longer a correct answer. That used to be the case, but since Pocus introduced "Generic promotions", a "higher" model does NOT need to be available for most generals. However, no general can be generically promoted more than 1 level above his historical rating AND there are no generic promotions to 4 star.

Thanks. Do you know why, then, it says that he "is promotable: yes"?

"I fights mit Sigel"

Gray_Lensman

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:22 pm

deleted

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Someone would have to test one of the generals that happened to be at the highest rated model and see if it shows him as still being promotable (generically). If so, then the game logic is "seeing" the generic promotion possibility also. Otherwise, it's a bug that will have to be corrected.

Well, Meagher has maxed-out at MG, despite gaining a ton of seniority since then. He says "is promotable: no."

"I fights mit Sigel"

Gray_Lensman

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 pm

deleted

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:26 pm

For illustration, here are .... some illustrations!

So Grant's seniority went up.

And everything looks peachy, except for the promo button.

Same for Sherman.

Crittenden is notably maxed-out.

Anyhow, I don't know exactly what you mean, Gray, but I think the jist is that nobody gets in to be a 4-star General, not nobody, not no how. Except Old Fuss 'n Feathers.

"I fights mit Sigel"

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 am

It's best to think of the ranks in the game as *,**, ***, ****, and forget any correspondence with actual rank structures (properly known as 'grade', not rank, but that's a nitpick - rank occurs within a grade).

There were only two grades of general officer in the US Army in 1861 - Brigadier and Major (shoulder strap - one and two stars, respectively). Scott was a Major General and retired as such, although he outranked everyone except the civilan authorities.

Grant was commisioned a Lieutenant General in 1864, the first to hold that grade since George Washington. The first full General in the US Army wasn't commisioned until after the war, in the late nineteenth century, IIRC.

Somewhat recently, the Congress passed a resolution that no matter the grade or rank of any officer in the US armed forces, no one can ever be deemed to hold the same grade or rank as Washington - Washington permanently, in perpetuity, shall outrank everyone and anyone.

So, use the rank system in the game as it exists within the game. There is no real correspondence to the historical situation, other than ** commanding a Corps - that's roughly correct.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:55 am

Winfield Scott was breveted a 3-star general, and appears as a 4-star in the game. So if Grant outranked him, shouldn't he be able to get 4-stars in game? Because I need more frontage...

"I fights mit Sigel"

Gray_Lensman

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:12 am

deleted

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:16 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:There is a 4-star model of Grant AND Sherman also, Eventually... IF you use them in successful battles they will gain enough seniority to be offered an advancement to 4-star. It's NOT automatic.

Well, I don't see how much more they can do at this point, as they have both worked their way down to a seniority of 1, and the USA controls the western hemisphere. Maybe successfully invading France or England will do it.

"I fights mit Sigel"

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”