Narwhal

Bug with bateaux, manpower, ammos

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Here is a little list of bugs I encountered in my GC against Baris (of which there is an AAR). Some of them are really major in my opinion. I also added some minor balance issues that could be tweaked :

- Bateaux cannot be intercepted or harmed in any way. For instance :
o Bateaux can go up and down a river, right in front of cities with fixed guns, without any damage
o Bateaux can go in the Baltic Sea and never be intercepted by an enemy fleet.
In game impact : Important, because the Prussian player can easily move units in or out of Königsberg (or supply it), while the Austrian players can move very quickly units from the Austrian front to the Western / Northern front.

- The Prussian player can have chronically negative manpower.
In game impact : Huge, of course. But it is also VERY frustrating, and makes a whole feature (creating new units) useless after the first two years.

- Armies have infinite ammo
I have no recollection of seeing ANY unit having less than the maximum in ammunition. In fact, in one instance, after 15 combats in 3 turns in Königsberg, my Prussian army finished with exactly as much ammunition than it started.

In game impact : Moderate : munitions were kind of plenty in Europe at that time – but in a few instances armies should run out. It is just weird to have this broken feature.

Balance issue

- Higher death rate for leaders.
Leaders are (almost) immortal. During my campaign against Baris, I have so far lost 2 leaders in combat – one of which was the leader of a city during an assault - and I believe I killed at most 4 of Baris’s leaders, despite some really major battles. I believe the death rate of leaders should be increased significantly (x2 or x3 ?)
In game impact : Important. With more and more leaders become 2-star leaders with experience, leadership becomes a non-issue for the Prussian by mid 1758. I suppose it is the same situation for the Austrian player. I don’t use the “Get a new Prussian general” option any more – and used it only once.

- “Should Ferdinand go to Hannover ?” decision
This decision is quite unbalanced, sending Ferdinand to Hannover being much too costly in my opinion to be worthwhile, all the more since the Prussian players won’t be lacking good leaders (see previous point). I believe this decision should have no NM impact, but only EP and VP impact.
In game impact : Minor.

- “Reinforce Wesel ?” decision
This decision is quite unbalanced, reinforcing Wesel – the best strategical decision - has a very minor cost (WSU / Money the Prussian player has too much of anyway) while the “Historical” decision is much too costly in NM AND costs the player a fairly important stronghold. Choosing the “Historical” route should give a more important bonus to the player (like another “more useful” city gaining one level of fortification as the Prussian move their assets from Wesel to that place), and no NM loss.
In game impact : Minor.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Excellent points Narwhall, agree 100% with all those.
I especially liked higher death rate of generals, as currently stacks can have more leaders then the actual troops(unlucky typhoon hit :bonk: :D ) There are too many generals around.

And most importantly: It is not an issue playing against AI(as player can control casualty rates for AI offensive moves) but after the first 2 years of any pbem game, depleted elements are a real problem. The only solution currently is to hide,and move them far from the enemy to prevent them giving big NM hit after battle. Disbanding is not an option because 2 element depleted Grenadier giving 2 NM 64 VP loss.
Edit: maybe construction time of depot bns can be shortened also, losing elements and moderate density battles doesnt satisfy demand for replacements for depleted troops.

PhilThib

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 am

I took good point of those notes. Hope I'll be able to fix them as soon as PON work has eased a bit :(

Anazagar
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:01 pm

IIRC “Should Ferdinand go to Hannover ?” is kinda bugged - choosing the second option (which creates ferdinad 2star brunshwieg commander) let's you keep Ferdinand prussian commander if you promoted him to 3 stars.

This gives you 3star prussian and 2star brunshwieg Ferdinand at the same time.

Narwhal

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 am

Thank you, PhilThib. I know you will work on it.

Do you have any idea when ? ;) I suppose that even by June, you will have to work on patching PoN, which might be more successful than RoP.

PhilThib

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:19 pm

I may have a small opportunity window in April after I have completed some key tasks. No promise, but will do my best to grab some time :cool:

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Thank you Philippe,

Overall it is a wonderful game and excellent research made. And it will be perfect when some final tweaks done to depot bns and replacements. :) :coeurs:

Narwhal

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:27 am

Thank you Philippe. BoA 2 is outstanding enough for me to play it until ... well.. well beyond PoN is released. And when PoN is released, I ll play it anyway :)

Narwhal

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 pm

I believe I have an explaination for the MP bug.

Instead of giving BACK manpower, deaths due to attrition and battles TAKE back manpower. This is very clear in my game with Baris. He was in the thousands in MP, and lost maybe 60 000 troops in only two turns (long story), he found himself at -240.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Yes I can confirm. Both heavily defeated French and Austrian elements take away thousands of manpower without giving replacements. manpower was minus during advancing 2-3 turns.

ai90o78
Civilian

wholesale Seven jeans

Fri May 13, 2011 10:40 pm

where to buy discount Seven jeans?hottest style,We Have Clothing & Accessories.Seven Wholesale Jeans on Sale.Seven jeans 7 jeans Now Shop The Widest Selection Of Seven Jeans.FS On $150+ Seven jeans Online and Buy Seven jeans Below Cheap wholesale Seven jeans Bargains Low Prices where can i find cheap name brand clothes?Great Prices!

Return to “Help to improve RoP”