Why have you never tried AGEOD games PBEM?

Never thought about playing PBEM
5%
Can't be bothered to work out how to do it
5%
Worried about looking like a fool
9%
Don't like the thought of being beaten by a human
2%
Athena gives me all the gameplay I need
4%
Dont like to have to wait for turns when I want to play
15%
Not sure I would have the time
32%
Worried about cheating
2%
I have had bad experiences in other PBEM games
1%
Other
6%
(I do play PBEM and just need to vote to see the poll results more easily)
18%

Total votes: 168
Anguille

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:59 am

Having little time to play, i have done only a few times mp. My main mp period was with Birth of the federation. Now i am doing pbem for the first time with Armada 2526 (testing for expansion) which i enjoy and have always been looking for (for 4x space strategy game which is my favorite genre). Now, i don't see the problem with my personal life to do a turn every day or every 2 days as i will most likely play anyway or going on internet. Here are the reasons why i have done little mp and none pbem.

1. Before playing against a human, i want to know the game very well and be at least able to win on average on a regular basis. Here comes the time factor. With so many games, there's only a few games i really master (armada 2526 being one).

2. I want to rely on my human opponent. I prefer to play against someone who visits the forums on a regular basis as i would hate to see a game not being finished.

Cheers

nats
Conscript

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Only game Ive ever played PBEM was Stars! which was a great game. Played a few games over the internet like Rome Total War and some first person shooters but I dont tend to play long games on the internet and I dont like waiting for email games unless there is a lot to do per turn like there was in Stars!. I generally still prefer to play single player off line.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:11 am

I was a hardcore single player until I got into AACW. I played Steel Panthers with my buddy, but who would ever want to play an email game? It just sounds so archaic. I finally tried last year and loved it. Breaking habits is hard, but rewarding.

Lewis Armistead
Conscript

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:31 pm

If I had control over my schedule, I think I would enjoy PBEM. But I would not want to commit, with another person's time and efforts involved, and disappoint due to time constraints.

Mortar
Sergeant

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:36 pm

I can't imagine a more schedule friendly game system than pbem. I have a busy schedule, and it can be erratic also and change day to day, week to week. But during that one or maybe two times during the day that I have a moment at home and can do something I wanna do, the turns are waiting in the mail. It is reasonable to expect about a turn per day (more or less, of course) for most players, I think. If you want to have times where you can play longer in a session, then have 2 or maybe more games going, it isn't something you even have to plan. I do mine during times when I have nothing else planned.

Lewis Armistead
Conscript

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:44 pm

Mortar wrote:I can't imagine a more schedule friendly game system than pbem.

I could not agree more sir. PBEM is a convenient system and should fit very well in most people's schedule.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="#3399ff"]"Follow me boys!"[/color]
[color="#DAA520"]Brigadier General Lewis A. Armistead
Battle of Gettysburg
July 3, 1863
[/color]

Stwa
Colonel

Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:18 am

I got interested in this thread, kinda drifting through the crazy, and it made me think of this ...

Here is the text of an old post from the Matrix site, that I posted sometime in 2005. It was meant for WITP, but it will work with most any MULTIPLAYER strategy game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scenario duration calculator

g = number of game turns as stated in the scenario editor for a given scenario.

t = turn-around time in minutes, or the average time it takes to play 1 complete turn (for all players) and takes into account all posssible delays, except sleep.

s = sleep time in minutes, or the average amount of time any player will sleep each calander day.

d = a calander day expressed as total minutes or normally 1440 minutes.

dm = duration of a game in minutes.

dd = duration of a game in days.

dy = duration of a game in years.

therefore:

dm = ((g * t) / (d - s)) * d

dd = dm / d ...

dy = dd / 365.25

example 1:

Bert and Ernie decide to play WitP scenario 15 by mail. The game lasts the maximum number of turns the scenario will allow.

Each turn took 30 minutes to complete on average. During the game Bert and Ernie sleep about 8 hours a day. How many days elapsed while Bert and Ernie were playing the game?

dm = ((1576 * 30) / (1440 - 480)) * 1440

dm = 70920

dd = 70920 / 1440

dd = 49.25

example 2:

Ralph and Fred decide to play WitP scenario 15 by mail. They agree to do 1 turn per day in the evening after work. Both Ralph and Fred sleep 6 hours a day on average. How many years elapsed while Ralph and Fred were playing the game?

dm = ((1576 * 1080) / (1440 - 360)) * 1440

dm = 2269440

dd = 2269440 / 1440

dd = 1576

dy = 1576 / 365.25

dy = 4.31

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Other.

Human players ruin game immersion.

Drax
Corporal

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:38 pm

I don't play PEBM, nor any other kind of Multiplayer.
I like to kill my enemy.
But since killing humans isn't socially accepted I prefer to keep playing against my computer. Killing it being perfectly fine :wacko:
Les impatients ne savent pas ce qui est bon.

Dortmund
Colonel

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:14 pm

I think the game experience is better, much more enjoyable, when you are playing against another player than playing against Athena (I don't mean to hurt you, lady :love: ). Yes, maybe you can only play one turn or two at a day, but you center in that turn all of your attention, and you wait anxious the opponent turn in order to see what's happened.

A human player is also less predictable than the AI (altough the AGEOD's AI is much more challenging than other games AI).

Random
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Other.

All of the potential challenges that potentially exist when playing a live human as opposed to the always limited computer AI are understood and appreciated and I have played against others in real-time naval games like Strategic Naval Gunnery or HPS Jutland with both positive and negative experiences.

I impose generally severe restrictions on myself to avoid exploits or prevent drifting away from my definition of the historically reasonable. Therefore I am uncomfortable about imposing my house rules on another player as would be required for me to enjoy PBEM.

-C

Leibst

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:Other.

Human players ruin game immersion.

I disagree, read here http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?28824-Diplomacy-amp-News

I used to talk in pbem with my opponent maintaining some forms according to the era of the war or the personalities involved. Make it more funny.
In pbem you play better and take long time preparing each turn trying to imagine your opponents plans. In a game like AJE there are room for diplomacy as in PoN (more than two players scenarios)

I understand the advantages of the AI, it always plays when you want, to the game you want etc... but normally you win. I have had great games losing in pbem. And fortunately in AGEOD forums we have very good players and at the same time very good people.

Some years ago i wasnt a pbem player but the experience was really good for me. Now i play both types of game but i enjoy much in pbem.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

1stvermont
Major

Sat May 23, 2015 12:27 pm

voted have yet to but plan on eventually playing pbem. For me we need more mp options such as simply sitting down and doing turns on both sides then simply clicking done, I understand this will cause at certain tirns long waiting periods, than i can do other things/plan strategy etc.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
Southern solider about northern General Sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

general rumbo
Conscript

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:26 am

I love the game and would like to play PBEM games but my problem is I am not sure how being a little older I am not so good on computers. but think once I learned how to would be great. and if people cheat to win why would you play the game its about having fun

Sruba
Private

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Helo,

I will answer to this question, becasue for a long time I was a player who had avoided PBEM, and only played on SP.
For me, the main reason was lack of lobby/in game PBEM rooms/cloud saving .ord files etc.
The only way to find an opponent is to look here, on AEGOD forums or STEAM forum, but all the work with sending files (dropbox helps a lot !), finding opponent etc is a real horror for a newcomer (as I was not so long time ago), and I tihnk it's the reason many people never tries PBEM.
But I have to say, when you play even one game, it's much more challenging and entertaining than SP, and now I have 5 PBEM running along. :)

If posible AEGOD team designer, consider creating in game PBEM mechanics/lobby/in game hosting possibilites which would help to get more new plaeers into MP and make life easier for the rest. :)

Altaris

Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:18 pm

general rumbo wrote:I love the game and would like to play PBEM games but my problem is I am not sure how being a little older I am not so good on computers. but think once I learned how to would be great. and if people cheat to win why would you play the game its about having fun

PBEM in AGE games is very simple, particularly if someone else is hosting. All you do is open the turn (like you would any other saved game), plot your orders, then save rather than clicking next turn. This generates a .ORD file in the save directory, which is sent to the host (via email, dropbox, however). The host then runs the turn with the ord file. Very very easy.

Return to “General discussions”