Aurelin
Colonel

Art "USA" vs Corey "CSA"

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:17 pm

Alrighty then....

This my first ever AAR. I plan to share my thoughts, and hopefully you all will share yours. Feel free to offer any advice.

OK. First, Corey is an agressive player. He takes full advantage of the CSA early strengths. In previous games, he's sent units to Pittsburg, Salem, Baltimore. He'll send cav/raiders all the way to the Canadian border. All the way to Laramie.

And I have never, not once, won a game.

But I do enjoy playing.

What I plan to do.

1: Build up in Missouri. I intend to take both Rolla and Jefferson City when Lyons becomes active. I hope too anyway.

2: When Sumner show up, I intend to send him to Leavenworth. There I will try to build him to a decent size so he can support the Missouri front. Advancing or defending will depend on circumstances.

3: Build up a naval/arny force at Cairo and seize both Columbus and Paducah in October. Unless I can steal a march and take island #10 or Ft Donelson...... wishful thinking that.

4: Entrench Pittsburg, Wheeling, Harrisburg, Washington, Baltimore, Annapolis, Wilmington. Make forts there if possible.

5: Take Manassas ASAP, blow the depot, and not worry about the NM hit that way.

6: Re enforce Monroe and maybe Pickens. (He always lays seige to both, and I have to have Monroe.)

7: Brown water blockade. Slowly but surely. The first targets will be Richmond and Norfolk. And if he wants to challenge it, he'll have to build ironclads. And that's where mine will be.

8: Odds and ends. Hope to assemble a two division force to take forts. Will build as many engineers as possible to both rebuild railroads and to travel with each corps.

Aurelin
Colonel

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:20 am

Ahhh, Turn 2.

The usual fall of Sumpter. I expect Norfolk next. And I'm sure that Grafton is next.

I thought of sending Schurz and Co there, but it would take 21 days. And with what he sends there, he would be nothing more than a speed bump.

Outside of my usual sending generals hither and yon (St Louis, Pburg, Hburg, Wheeling, pretty much what Morpheus did), I see a minor bonus in Texas.

Not so much Dallas, which I can't hold, but two cav units. I'll send them north to destroy the Indian camps. (I can't keep them, so why should I let the CSA have them.)

Schurz goes to Harper's Ferry. I had hoped that the single militia replacement I built last turn would be spent there, but no such luck. The idea is for him to blow the depot.

I invested 1 elite, 5 line, 4 cav, 2 FA in repls. And 30 in river transport. He likes tearing up rails, so I think its a better investment for now.
Attachments
T2a.jpg

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:38 pm

If you want to put the image in the post, click the paper clip after you've attached the image. It will embed your picture in the post.

Aurelin
Colonel

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:00 am

enf91 wrote:If you want to put the image in the post, click the paper clip after you've attached the image. It will embed your picture in the post.

Ahhh, Thanks!!.

Turn 3.

Not very happy with the Brits at the moment. They dare to complain about my blockade. Such nerve. So an Executive Order is signed that states henceforth English muffins are to be referred to as American muffins.
That will show them.

So, the orders fly out. The Washington brigade is ordered to Manassas. They should drive off the militia there. Once done, the depot will be ordered blown.

A WV cav unit is also ordered to Grafton. If by some miracle they get to stay there, that depot will be blown as well.

Schurz, as he is active, will engage the militia at Harper's Ferry. He too will blow the depot.[ATTACH]12925[/ATTACH]

The ships from Pickens and Florida head for the Gulf box. A gunboat from Cairo is sent to do some recon at Island #10.

Replacements. 1 Army and 1 Line. With Historical Attrition, I expect to use more than usual, but I'm not going to invest more than 5 in any category if I can help it. rather spend them on new units.

Volunteers and conscripts [ATTACH]12926[/ATTACH]

Money[ATTACH]12930[/ATTACH]

Units:[ATTACH]12931[/ATTACH] Pretty much an entire army.
Attachments
t3e.jpg
t3c.jpg
T3b.jpg
T3.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:23 pm

T4:

Nothing much this turn. Schurz is ordered to blow the Harper's Ferry depot and move to cut the rail leading into Manassas.

The cav unit in Grafton is ordered to blow that depot and attack the rebel cav NW of it.[ATTACH]12946[/ATTACH]

A militia unit is sent to probe Lexington.

I send Cav back into Texas to try and grab a lone arty battery.

More MO brigades are built along with some Il batteries.
Attachments
T4c.jpg
T4a.jpg
T4.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Turn 5

Here's where the fun begins.

In the East:

The only thing gone right is that the Harper's depot is gone. Manassas isn't mine. And the Grafton depot is still there.

The plan is to build forts in both Alexandria and DC. (Purple diamonds.) Major cities behind the purple lines will be entrenched. The attempt to take Manassas will continue.

I intend to move some brigades in Boston to Ft Monroe.[ATTACH]12955[/ATTACH]

The Middile:

Cairo will be fortified as it is the jumping off point for moving into Kentucky and points south. A force will be sent to Charleston MO. Eventually, Paducah and Columbus will be occupied and developed as bases.[ATTACH]12956[/ATTACH]

The West:

Fortify St Louis and move against both Rolla and Jefferson City. I also hope to have militia/cannons in the depot ciites in the NW states.[ATTACH]12957[/ATTACH]
Attachments
T5f.jpg
T5e.jpg
T5d.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:45 am

My Paint skills are....... rather poor.

Turn 6.

To quote Nick from Left 4 Dead 2, "Well that was unexpected."

The Manassas Flood worked. (I forgot to mention earlier that every nearby brigade was railed there set to assualt. Mansfield being active helped.) Just in time for McDowell to wake up.

The attack on Jefferson City worked, and Rolla should fall soon.

The current situation:

West: [ATTACH]12969[/ATTACH]

East:[ATTACH]12968[/ATTACH]

The numbers are the power ratings of the mobile units. Fort Monroe has 223.

What to do..... The units at Manassas are a bit tired, but McDowell's forces are fresh and ready. Very tempting to make a move on Fredericksburg. And yet, just where is ole PGT??

What I might just do is this. Move McD to Manassas. It is under my contro, so he'll have to attack me if he wants it. I'll leave his biggest division at Alexandria to entrench.

Orrrrr, just blow the depot and move what's there back to Alexandria.

Which begs the question. What to do with Mac? I could promote him and send him to Monroe. Or take McD's place. And just send every unit not needed elsewhere to him.

Why? There is an event that activates him. He should have the biggest, baddest army I can give him to take advantage of that. He should either win big or lose big. He'll probably do the latter. But who knows. In our last game, Butler, of all people, beat Lee twice. I lost that game, but just sayin'....

In MO, I should flood Rolla. No matter if he blows the depot, it's easier for the North to replace them. Eventually, I'll advance to Springfield.
Attachments
T6a.jpg
T6.jpg

Jim-NC

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:54 pm

One request, Please finish a sentance and hit enter before pasting a picutre (the last word tends to wrap to the bottom of the picture).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aurelin
Colonel

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Ahhh. Thx.

Somewhat disappointing, but not unexpected. I lost Manassas. Irwin, despite numerical superiority, uttery failed. Well, not entirely his fault. Southern leaders are better at this sort of thing.

But it has been decided to hold Alexandria. It will be a thorn in my opponent's side. It also serves as a bridgehead to make an advance on Richmond.

I see that a horde of cavalry is starting to stream north. I know rails are going to get cut, but I don't think it matters all that much in the West.
Not as long as I can use the rivers.

He'll cut rails, and my militia/engineer stacks will be right behind them fixing the cuts.

It also applies in the East. I don't do a great deal of transfers between the regions. (Units east of the mountains, except seige guns, stay east. Units built west, stay west.) And there is always the ocean to move units up and down.

In the Ft. Monroe area, the advance will continue. Griffin has been SR'd to Monroe to take charge. The cav unit at Suffolk will head south and cut rails.

[ATTACH]12989[/ATTACH]

Nothing exciting in the East. Schurz runs for home, while rear area untis are brought forward.

[ATTACH]12990[/ATTACH]

In the West, Rolla falls. Lyons gets his second star. And somr minor repositioning occurs in MO, while units are brought forward to the center. (not shown.)

[ATTACH]12991[/ATTACH]

3 INF are raised each in MO, PA, NE. The NE will be the building blocks of an amphibious force. I hope.

9 CAV are raised in IA, IL, WI.

8 ART are raised in IL, NE, PA

4 ENG, and 2 IL ironclads.

I raised war bonds to help pay for it.

Foreign help is at 45.

1,000 CSA prisioners

USA-5644/CSA-3706 combat losses.
Attachments
West.JPG
East moves.JPG
Monroe moves.JPG

Aurelin
Colonel

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Turn 8:

Fort Monroe:

[ATTACH]12993[/ATTACH]

East:

[ATTACH]12994[/ATTACH]

West:

[ATTACH]12995[/ATTACH]

Far West:

[ATTACH]12996[/ATTACH]

Build 1 INF, 4 ART 2 Ocean TRP
Attachments
T8FW.jpg
T8W.jpg
T8E.jpg
T8FM.jpg

jokeon
Corporal

New AAR

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Great to see a new AAR.
Like the way you explain what you are trying to do.
Good luck.

Aurelin
Colonel

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Turn 9

Ft Monroe:
[ATTACH]13019[/ATTACH]

Ohio area:
[ATTACH]13020[/ATTACH]

Missouri:
[ATTACH]13021[/ATTACH]

Far West:
[ATTACH]13022[/ATTACH]

I have no intentions of wasting hordes of cavalry chasing his. Militia/rail stacks will repair rails that I need.

I'll guard as many depots as possible with militia/artillery, but any that I think will be lost will be destroyed.

Harrisburg/Baltimore/Pittsburg/Wheeling/Rolla are on the list.

And for a minor rant. Why in the hell would Northern people/newspapers/Congress/etc scream for an advance on Richmond, and yet ignore Confederate armies heading for or sitting in the first three cities?
Does anyone really think they would say nothing about that? Or if Johnston is laying seige to DC?

I really doubt that they would.

Anyway.

I plan to fight for Rolla. Hopefully, he'll pay a pretty penny for it. And that there will be no depot there at the end. Fremont is moving toward Rolla, and if fortune favors him, he'll take on an exhausted rebel force. And then there is Lyons' force at Jefferson City. Have to remember to build a depot there.

I'm sending as many units as I can to Cairo for Grant to use when he shows up. If Donelson hasn't fallen, he may go there. It all depends.

Still hoping to build an amphibious force. I haven't done anything with Farragut yet, as I intend for him to be part of it.

Builds:

Repl 0

Units: 2x3element PA INF, 3 Seige, 1 Army, 1 Eng, 1 balloon.

80 rail, 30 riv.
Attachments
T9FW.jpg
T9MO.jpg
T9Ohio.jpg
T9FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Turn 10:

The East:

[ATTACH]13047[/ATTACH]

Cav Raids:

[ATTACH]13048[/ATTACH]

Missouri:

[ATTACH]13049[/ATTACH]

A problem is starting to loom its ugly head. Foreign Entry. I have great doubt that I would last that long if it fires this early. I just might find myself building every frigate/monitor I can to take on the RN. And then there is the pie in the sky thought of landing in England and taking London......

And to add insult to injury, will the North be screaming about moving on Richmond with the Royal Army landing in PA? Probably......

We'll have to hope it doesn't happen.
Attachments
T10 MO.jpg
T10 Cav.jpg
T10E.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Turn 11:

Nothing much changed. Except for the minor speed bump of Foote losing his small squadron in a battle. Which will crimp the advance to Paducah untill the new river ironclads are finished.

Buell moves in a conservative attack on Donelson, while a newly active McDowell tries where Hooker failed.

In other news, Fremont gets his Army command, McClellan takes a force to Bowling Green, and Burnside heads to Norfolk.

East:

[ATTACH]13055[/ATTACH]

West:

[ATTACH]13056[/ATTACH]

New Navy:

[ATTACH]13057[/ATTACH]
Attachments
T11 New Navy.jpg
T11W.jpg
T11E.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Ft Monroe:

[ATTACH]13073[/ATTACH]

Wilmington:

[ATTACH]13074[/ATTACH]

Kentucky:

[ATTACH]13075[/ATTACH]

West:

[ATTACH]13076[/ATTACH]

What I am hoping to do is take his aggresive style and turn it to my advantage. For example, he likes to send Jackson on a tour of the North. First stop Pittsburg.

But that will take him out of play. He'll be going North, I'll be landing up and down the Atlantic. What doesn't work, say if the Norfolk move fails, they'll get back on the boats and go somewhere else after a pitstop.

But if FI fires, I doubt I'll be landing much of anywhere.
Attachments
T12W.jpg
T12Ky.jpg
T12Wil.jpg
T12FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:43 am

Turn 14:

Fort Monroe:

[ATTACH]13077[/ATTACH]

Wilmington:

[ATTACH]13078[/ATTACH]

Kentucky:

[ATTACH]13080[/ATTACH]

Cairo:

[ATTACH]13079[/ATTACH]

Missouri:

[ATTACH]13081[/ATTACH]
Attachments
T14 Mo.jpg
T14 Ky.jpg
T14 Cairo.jpg
T14 Wil.jpg
T14 FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:47 am

Fort Monroe area:

[ATTACH]13092[/ATTACH]

Suffolk:

[ATTACH]13093[/ATTACH]

Wilmington:

[ATTACH]13094[/ATTACH]

Cairo/West Kentucky:

[ATTACH]13095[/ATTACH]

Missouri:

[ATTACH]13096[/ATTACH]
Attachments
T15 Mo.jpg
T15 Mid.jpg
T15 Wil.jpg
T15 Shock.jpg
T15 FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:51 am

Fort Monroe Area:

[ATTACH]13097[/ATTACH]

Wilmington:

[ATTACH]13098[/ATTACH]

Tennessee:

[ATTACH]13099[/ATTACH]

Where we stand:

[ATTACH]13100[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Standings.jpg
Tenn.jpg
Wilmington.jpg
FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Monroe/Norfolk:

[ATTACH]13117[/ATTACH]

Wilmington:

[ATTACH]13118[/ATTACH]

Tennessee:

[ATTACH]13119[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Tennessee.jpg
Wilmimgton.jpg
FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Only Missouri sees any action.

[ATTACH]13127[/ATTACH]

Political/drafts/builds.

[ATTACH]13129[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13128[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13130[/ATTACH]
Attachments
New army.jpg
Concessions.jpg
draft.jpg
Lyons.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 am

Happy New Year.......

All things considered, not that bad a year. An annoying setback at Wilmington, but Missouri is in better shape than it usually is.

Things are about as expected in the east, and the McClellan event was dodged by taking Manassas. I'm sure things will heat up though as he tries for Harrisburg/Pittsburg/Wheeling. Sure, Grafton isn't mine, but if he leaves it I'll take it back. It's the only Confed depot in the area.

Kentucky has gone better than normal as Bowling Green is still Union held. Lexington is a future target.

The off-map boxes I really don't care about, but a small combined arms division will be built and sent to retake them.

Other than that, I'll see what's what. Ideally multiple landings at NO/Mobil/Savannah while moving on Nashville and Memphis. But it all depends on many things.

Norfolk:

[ATTACH]13132[/ATTACH]

Tennessee:

[ATTACH]13133[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Tennessee.png
FM.jpg

jokeon
Corporal

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:17 pm

Just noticed you are using Bunside and McClernand, they always sit out the war for me increasing the number of CC you get. Oh and Banks.

Aurelin
Colonel

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Burnsides becomes a better than average Corps commander (2-2-3), compared to the run pf the mill 3-1-1.

Banks gets an army command unless someone like Grant gets to 3 star early. So I don't want to waste him.

Mc, well, he's a usefull div or at least a command point adder early in the game.

Playing the AI, yes, they all sit playing recruiter. Against a live person, I feel that I need them. At least against this one.

jokeon
Corporal

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:55 pm

I see I have never played PBEM so I guess that changes things. Not sure if I could cope with rails gone and cavalry everywhere.

Aurelin
Colonel

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:03 pm

It isn't as bad as it looks. Out west, the Ohio/Mississippi/Missouri rivers flow in the directions you need to go anyway. Rail cuts are fixed by a militia/engineer stack moving behind.

To cut the rivers you need forts and ships.

In the east, the rail line between P'burg and H'burg you need. But then again, troops built in Ohio and NY can go to P'burg. And again, the militia/engineer stack fixes cuts.

For north-south movement, well, the North controls the sea.

Anyway:

Norfolk

[ATTACH]13153[/ATTACH]

Kentucky

[ATTACH]13154[/ATTACH]

Tennessee

[ATTACH]13155[/ATTACH]

Little is going on in MO outside of some leaders being sent in preperation for making corps. And a scouting attempt near Price.
Attachments
Tenn.jpg
KY.jpg
FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:42 pm

Monroe:

[ATTACH]13195[/ATTACH]

Kentucky:

[ATTACH]13196[/ATTACH]

Tennessee:

[ATTACH]13197[/ATTACH]

Missouri:

[ATTACH]13198[/ATTACH]

I start construction of more river gunboats. The idea is to send them all to the Tennessee River and cut him off from Nashville while the Army of the Ohio moves foreward. Or hopes to anyway.
Attachments
MO.jpg
Tenn.jpg
KY.jpg
FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:10 am

Not too much this turn.

Monroe:

[ATTACH]13204[/ATTACH]

Kentucky:

[ATTACH]13205[/ATTACH]

Missouri:

[ATTACH]13206[/ATTACH]
Attachments
MO.jpg
KY.jpg
FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:01 am

Monroe:

[ATTACH]13220[/ATTACH]

Kentucky:

[ATTACH]13221[/ATTACH]

Tennessee:

[ATTACH]13222[/ATTACH]

Missouri:

[ATTACH]13223[/ATTACH]

Far West:

[ATTACH]13224[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Far West.jpg
MO.jpg
Tenn.jpg
KY.jpg
FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:28 am

Peninsula:

[ATTACH]13249[/ATTACH]

West Virginia:

[ATTACH]13250[/ATTACH]

Kentucky:

[ATTACH]13251[/ATTACH]

Missouri:

[ATTACH]13252[/ATTACH]

Not shown as I forgot:

Grant moves against Hardee while the Young Napoleon moves to Paducah.
Attachments
Tenn.jpg
KY.jpg
WV.jpg
FM.jpg

Aurelin
Colonel

Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:59 pm

The Peninsula:

[ATTACH]13271[/ATTACH]

West Virginia:

[ATTACH]13272[/ATTACH]