Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Great Game!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:52 am

Have now patched up to 1.3b, played through tutorial, and finished the Saxony scenario and come to the conclusion that this is a terrific game! :thumbsup:

I'm very encouraged by this because, I had stayed away for quite a while based on a past experience and it is good to see based on BoA1 and ROP that I can confidently include AGEOD in my list of "favorite game publishers" :coeurs:

About my only gripe about ROP so far is that there is not a map that provides a nice simple view of provinces/national ownership as in say Victoria2. The colors/textures that are used in the filters that serve these functions are to my eye a bit ambiguous and difficult to discern.

The chain of command system of wonderful as is most everything else relating to or expanding on the basic AGE engine as I see it in BoA. 9.6/10 so far!

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:45 am

Having played some more, I am even more sure that this is a really fantastic game. That rating of 9.6 might need to be even be higher . . . need to play more.

The balance is incredible, and the need to prosecute your war in an 18th century style is impeccable. This FEELS like 18th century warfare! :thumbsup: (note using 1.03 Beta 5 patch).

The music is fantastic. The graphics are perfect (note, not "amazing", but nonetheless perfect for this game = sensible simple but very attractive). The map is beautiful. Apart from a lack of a diplomatic relations page, the UI is surprisingly easy despite the complex nature of the game. The system for point accumulation (victory, Nm, money, EPs, conscripts, war supplies) and how it relates to actual conquest of territory is one of the best engines I've seen. This in itself is a huge advance on the engine I observe in BoA1.

The AI is challenging. The management is engrossing. With many strategy games, that cover hundreds of years of history, by the time you get into the late game, things have got tedious, and I don't think that this game is going to show that pattern at all. Need to play into late game to be sure but that is my bet. This is a reflection of the design team having chosen a really good subject, framed it appropriate relative to the game engine, and done a good job to adapt the engine to the subject. This form of genius is such a rarity in games today, I just cannot say enough good things about this accomplishment, and for the meager price of ~$35.

I'm not sure if I just adjusted my eyes, if the monitor cable was bit loose before or what, but even my early slight gripe about the map overlays I would say has gone away. The maps now look very sensible to me . . . maybe it was just that I had to sort of figure it out and get to understand what it all means before it looked 'good.'

With this game, I am now firmly an AGEOD fan. You guys did a great job with this game, and as evidenced by your committed flow of patches, you are going to make it even better and better! :thumbsup:

Pocus

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:36 am

Thank you much Anthropoid! On behalf of all the team, we dearly appreciate your comments :)

There are always room for improvements, but the team is small ... Still, the official patch is underway!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Narwhal

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:28 pm

It is a great game, and with the patch it looks much more like the 7 years war.

If only you could fix the bug with the huge NM lose for minor battles

Worse case in my 1.03 Beta Patch 5 game : 7 NM for 500 dead but 7 cav elements wiped out when my cav was surprised by an Austrian army, same day a major battle involved 40K soldiers vs 40K soldiers, 3K died vs 4K - impact on national morale : 0.

It would be great if you could at least set the impact of losing elements on national morale to be 0. It would not be perfect, but until you find a working equilibrium it would be better.

Charles
Lieutenant

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:33 am

Agreed. This is a great strategy game.

playing grand campaign PBEM 1.02, now up to september 1758 as Prussians.

You really have to thinklike an 18th century general to have a chance of winning, which is what makes this game so great. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Dear A: Please try AACW! Now there is a great game!! t

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:06 am

tagwyn wrote:Dear A: Please try AACW! Now there is a great game!! t

Will do! :w00t:

Rafiki

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:25 pm

[color="Blue"]The battle/NM discussion has gotten a thread of its own, with the relevant posts moved there: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18863[/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

OneArmedMexican
General

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:13 pm

I dismissed Rise of Prussia at first. Some things about the game bugged me (replacements, I missed the economic and political choices from ACW). But recently, I have given the game a second chance. It is great!!!

Especially the AI feels much improved since ACW. It has learned a nice little principle called concentration of forces which can get scary once the AI uses it to steamroll over the poor Prussian. Concentrated attacks with 100.000 men armies are hard to beat. Amazing work!

Clovis

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:I dismissed Rise of Prussia at first. Some things about the game bugged me (replacements, I missed the economic and political choices from ACW). But recently, I have given the game a second chance. It is great!!!

Especially the AI feels much improved since ACW. It has learned a nice little principle called concentration of forces which can get scary once the AI uses it to steamroll over the poor Prussian. Concentrated attacks with 100.000 men armies are hard to beat. Amazing work!

Pocus indeed introduced a new AI "order" named concentrate which works very well :)

I know some are thinking AI to be unessential,considering AACW sold well in spite of a less matured AI, but they are fully wrong. You will never find really players saying they bought a game because of AI quality, but the abler the artificial opponent, the more they play, the more they talk about, and that's today the best ad for a game . So kudos for AGEOD to improve AI !
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Soderini

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:34 am

Clovis wrote: So kudos for AGEOD to improve AI !

Indeed, but let's not forget the work done on AI by someone called Clovis as well. ;) :thumbsup:

Clovis

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Soderini wrote:Indeed, but let's not forget the work done on AI by someone called Clovis as well. ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks but I've done almost nothing.

There's a poor way of tweaking AI, by considering AI stock to be more an opponent than a an help; some arrogance leads to think thanks to a skillful use of events, you will deliver "your" great AI.

That's wrong. My events are flat, almost basic. They are several hundred, but very simple each. They don't do much, as they mostly just define aeras of interest for the AI during the game. Yes, here and there, there is something a little more advanced, rarely though.

I've observed AGE AI since 2 years and I've decided the best way to enhace was to determine how AI "thinks". I've discovered, almost accidentally, AGE AI to have a serious flaw with space and time computation. To use an analogy, AGE AI would play chess by giving the lowest values to the central cases...

For the rest, once this point fixed, and even with some troubles in organization and supply matters, AGE AI is great. Really great. Once it knows better the map and time needed to get from one point to another, AGE AI is smart, unpredictable, operationnally rather cute and often surprising.

I've not enhanced the AI. All belongs here to AGEOD. I just taught it geography ;) . Considering otherwise is just plain arrogance. I've not improved the AI, I just cured a sickness.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Leinsdorf
Conscript

Great Game!

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:29 pm

As quite addicted to the former boardgame (SPI 1975 and AH 1982) Frederick the Great , of course I deeply appreciated the choice by AGEod to develop a really fine game on the same topic, with great flavour of the epoch and sound strategic and historical research behind. Really a great game!

I don't master yet the Mod Engine, neither have time to research deeply alternative scenarios. I wonder only if anyone (or AGEod itself) is currently considering the development of new scenarios, especially “The Silesian Wars, 1740-1745”, built for the boardgame by Arnold Blumberg and published on "The General" Magazine (Vol.20,No.3).

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Leinsdorf wrote:I don't master yet the Mod Engine, neither have time to research deeply alternative scenarios. I wonder only if anyone (or AGEod itself) is currently considering the development of new scenarios, especially [color="Red"]“The Silesian Wars, 1740-1745”,[/color] built for the boardgame by Arnold Blumberg and published on "The General" Magazine (Vol.20,No.3).

I second that.

Andy2
Private

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Rise of Prussia is my favorite game. I find it challenging and demanding than Hearts of Iron.

I'm really looking forward to Pride of Nations.

gpepper

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

If you likes it, you will probably like Revolution under Siege which is the same engine with more features.
The graphisms are made by me (actually I am the ROP graphist too) and the whole game was made by a great team who kept the spirit of Ageod games.
In my opinion, this is the best ageod game, so far !
[CENTER]. : G P E P P E R : .
[url]http://www.gillespfeiffer.com[/URL]
[url]http://www.frenchschoolofcg.com[/URL][/align]

Andy2
Private

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:00 pm

gpepper wrote:If you likes it, you will probably like Revolution under Siege which is the same engine with more features.
The graphisms are made by me (actually I am the ROP graphist too) and the whole game was made by a great team who kept the spirit of Ageod games.

Thanks for this tip!

Leinsdorf
Conscript

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:57 pm

gpepper wrote:If you likes it, you will probably like Revolution under Siege which is the same engine with more features.

In addition to the technical and graphical quality of a game, I think that its appeal is quite dependant upon the historical events and kind of warfare it depicts, as well upon - for gamers of my generation at least - the boardgame "tradition" it has behind.

In my view a game like Rise of Prussia enjoys a staggering advantage over other albeit well assembled and designed wargames, as it is based on a quite fascinating period, which makes warfare a refined and chesslike ability game (Age of reason after all...) and moreover having illustrious predecessors in the art of boardgaming, like Frederick the Great, by SPI and AH: I preserve and cherish the boxes of these old pieces of game as precious collectibles.

Look at this: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/706/frederick-the-great

Die Zieten
Sergeant

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Anthropoid wrote:Having played some more, I am even more sure that this is a really fantastic game. That rating of 9.6 might need to be even be higher . . . need to play more.

The balance is incredible, and the need to prosecute your war in an 18th century style is impeccable. This FEELS like 18th century warfare! :thumbsup: (note using 1.03 Beta 5 patch).

The music is fantastic. The graphics are perfect (note, not "amazing", but nonetheless perfect for this game = sensible simple but very attractive). The map is beautiful. Apart from a lack of a diplomatic relations page, the UI is surprisingly easy despite the complex nature of the game. The system for point accumulation (victory, Nm, money, EPs, conscripts, war supplies) and how it relates to actual conquest of territory is one of the best engines I've seen. This in itself is a huge advance on the engine I observe in BoA1.

The AI is challenging. The management is engrossing. With many strategy games, that cover hundreds of years of history, by the time you get into the late game, things have got tedious, and I don't think that this game is going to show that pattern at all. Need to play into late game to be sure but that is my bet. This is a reflection of the design team having chosen a really good subject, framed it appropriate relative to the game engine, and done a good job to adapt the engine to the subject. This form of genius is such a rarity in games today, I just cannot say enough good things about this accomplishment, and for the meager price of ~$35.

I'm not sure if I just adjusted my eyes, if the monitor cable was bit loose before or what, but even my early slight gripe about the map overlays I would say has gone away. The maps now look very sensible to me . . . maybe it was just that I had to sort of figure it out and get to understand what it all means before it looked 'good.'

With this game, I am now firmly an AGEOD fan. You guys did a great job with this game, and as evidenced by your committed flow of patches, you are going to make it even better and better! :thumbsup:

Wanted to bumb this post as i agree totally, this is one the best games i have ever discovered.

I dont know why i passed over before it after i liked AACW.
I came looking for news about AACW2 and then started reading ROP AARs and decided to test this game.

I think the game is easily worth 50€.. :bonk:

Sad that we live in this dumb time where brain usage is considered work and not fun.
Only a few play games that teach and stimulate something positive.

Now im waiting for ROP2 also..

Anyone up for a pbem game in the near future can let me know. :)

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 am

to be honest, it remains my favourite. I like Rus/AJE/WiA, find PoN utterly addictive, but there is something about the elegance of RoP, the historical setting and the way it plays that means I keep on coming back to it - and discovering new options/stragies each time

Franciscus

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:36 am

Some good news may be forthcoming to RoP lovers... :neener:

Die Zieten
Sergeant

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:55 am

Franciscus wrote:Some good news may be forthcoming to RoP lovers... :neener:

Oh come on, you cant tease like that and not tell more. :neener:

Ebbingford

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Oh yes he can :cool:
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 pm

It has been mentioned somewhere that new scenario's for RoP were being created.

Die Zieten
Sergeant

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Erik Springelkamp wrote:It has been mentioned somewhere that new scenario's for RoP were being created.

That is really great considering the games age. :)

I like that the grand campaign is also still improved, i only need one scenario if it is epic enough. :D
ACW and SYW are both epic with great events, opposing forces and leaders.

Return to “Rise of Prussia”