gwgardner
Brigadier General

a lighter map

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:17 pm

Using irfanview I did a gamma change on all the map tiles. To me it's a more pleasing, less wearing look for the map. With something like photoshop I'm sure an even better result could be obtained.

Here you see the before and after, for the 1st tutorial map.

Hobbes

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:46 pm

I much prefer the second as well.

Cheers, Chris

CSS
Lieutenant

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:43 am

I SOOOooooo Agree! When will we get this puppy?

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Not much use in me posting it as a mod. It would be much easier for anyone who wants it to simply download irfanview or some other image software, and do a batch operation on the map tiles. To zip them all up would be a gig of files, approx.

Here's how I did it (extremely simple):

1) download and installed irfanview (free)
2) make a backup copy of the default map images folder which are at

World War One Gold\Data\Graph\Map

3) open up irfanview in batch mode
4) using the irfanview batch mode advanced options, change and save all the map tiles (but not the ones that start with the name 'winter') in the above folder. All I did was increase the 'gamma' of each map tile image to 2.50. You can choose any level of gamma you want.

Just make sure the modified images are in the above folder, and when next you start WWI Gold you'll see a lighter map.

If there was a way to use something other than .bmp files, it would sure make loading of the map faster, I think.

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:44 pm

I tried it again, plus trying to reduce the file sizes. I ended up going to 256 color images, which reduced the file sizes by 1/3. I think it looks good.
Now I can upload the zipped folder somewhere - have to figure out where - I'll post here with a link.

[later]

here's the link, hope it works:

http://www.filefront.com/17257676/GoldRegions.zip

Here's a sample:

calvinus

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 am

Instead of overwriting the new bitmaps over the old ones, you can create a new folder inside the Data\Graph\Map directory where to put all new bitmaps (winter ones included, of course).

Then you can mod the Map.ini file as follows:

GraphicsGoldPath=Data\Graph\Map\new_folder

CSS
Lieutenant

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:35 pm

[SIZE="5"]Thank you so much this is a WONDERFUL Mod![/size]

Halus
Conscript

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 am

Well downloaded and installed irfanview. Tweeked the gamma just a bit, but also decreased the colour saturation. Started the game up to see the new look - whoa what a mess! Apparently the purple (magenta?) around each map segment got darker and this now shows up everywhere on the game map. I went back the the map folder and used the floodfill tool to return the purple background to it's original hue. I did this for just a few files and it worked. Is there a way to do this in one shot, otherwise each of the map files has to be done one at a time, and there is over 6,000 of them.

Return to “WW1 mods and modding”