bigus
General

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:55 am

Pocus wrote:No problem in adding to the official DB stuff which are clearly fixes to events or data. If something else, like new content or altering something which is working, I'm more reserved.

As usual, crashes will always be fixed and result in a patch also.

Good one!

A quick note to all.
Whenever the database changes every modded file becomes obsolete.
I have spent countless hours altering my scenarios to conform to the "official" database files and it is tough to alter them when even a minor change is made ("A moving target!").
I think the game engine is great and you guys (and Gals?) have made a great effort to improve on it.
The Engine is what should be worked on and leave the database files to modders. I thought this was the idea when the "legacy" patch was released?
Scenarios for AACW (1.15)[CENTER][/CENTER]

richfed

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:27 am

Started a new campaign with beta 5 -- Still no merge icon; still the ledger defaults to the roster screen. Should I consider these working as designed??

Through October 1861 - all land to sea/sea to land combat has resulted in 0 hits per side. Coincidence? Not sure yet ...

Other than that, so far, so good.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:09 am

Hi Rich yeah I have noticed that sea to land/land to sea has no hits to either side....

richfed

Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Perhaps, ALL combat involving naval units results in 0 hits ... I have noticed that in the sea boxes, the same thing happens. Ships DO use ammo and supplies, though ... maybe a display issue?
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Captain_Orso

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:45 am

I've had ironclads damage each other on non-sea-box regions, so it's not that they cannot do any damage at all.

I've also tested fleets sailing back-and-forth past forts and had masses of reports of bombardment, but all with the same 0 hits per side results; no exceptions.

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Bombardment hits problem

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi there, I have been told to post the problem on this forum, I have noticed in AACW that when ship/forts are bombarded they always inflict and take 0 hits on both sides, I have tested this in WIA and ROP and they always seem to report 0 hits, has anybody else experianced this?

Thanks

LHL

PhilThib

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:23 pm

IIRC, the number of hits inflicted has been reduced. Cohesion loss is inflicted instead. :confused:

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Ahhhh :bonk: lol sorry that kinda makes sense, cheers.....

Thanks for all the hard work :)

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:53 pm

deleted

richfed

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:11 pm

Are we sure about this? I initially reported this "bug" in the beta 5 thread for AACW. It does not seem right. I believe that possibly it is a display issue?

Captain_Orso

Patch Level 1.16b5 & bombardment

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:38 am

I don't believe that hits have been exchanged for cohesion loss. Both should be occurring.

As a test I sent a fleet with Dahlgren, 4 Monitors, 5 gunboats (elements) and 7 transports (elements) from Mississippi City to Falmouth Beach (south of Ft Morgan) in Defensive Posture, ROE Defend, avoid combat button NOT pressed. They only got bombarded from Ft Gains which has only a weakened battery of Coastal Artillery (8/24 canons).

Results were 0 hits in both directions. The cohesion on the USS Monitor went from 172 (100%) to 166.

The next turn I sent the same fleet into Mobile Bay using the same posture and ROE. This time Ft Morgan with an almost fully healthy Coastal Artillery battery (20/24 canons) engaged the fleet. Again 0 hits were obtained in both directions. The cohesion on the Monitor went down to 163.

I believe that the cohesion loss is occurring from the return bombardment alone and not from actually being fired on and theoretically hit. On top of that the cohesion of the coastal artillery stayed at 73 (100%).

If this were WAD it would make no sense at all. I've seen bombardments under similar circumstances on patch level 1.15 causing 50 hits on a passing fleet when the coastal artillery was at the most 24 canons.

Even if it's difficult to obtain a hit on a monitor because of it's protection, normal combat with an ironclad will cause at least a hand full of hits and a lot more health and cohesion loss in both directions.

richfed

Ai

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:52 pm

Pocus wrote:There will be delay before the next beta patch, but continue to gather discrepancies in this thread, this is not lost.

So overall, the AI is too timid or aggressive enough? It seems that depending of the game, people experience different things :)

Just to be clear, Pocus: It has been my experience with the various 1.16 patches that the Union AI [I always play as the CSA] does a remarkable job of building powerful forces. Much better than it used to. Athena is quite smart, as well. Less winter excursions, fixes torn up RRs quickly, and by upping the detection level, has been more aggressive than I initially thought. Still, no sign of deep, supplied, penetrations into enemy interior ... particularly lacking via waterways. I thought she had been improving in that regard in 1.15, but this patch seems to be a downgrade. So far, at least, in several games, there has been ZERO activity along the Mississippi and other rivers, ports, etc. of any consequence.

So, an AI improvement in some areas, relapse in others.

Krec
Sergeant

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Great work on the patch guys, playin it now and all i can say is you guys really have a passion for what you do. Well done and all your work is appreciated. ;)

Pocus

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 pm

the 0 hit must be an issue, not a work as designed, I don't remember anything touched on that in any case. I'll check with the provided saved game.

Thanks for the note, Richfed. Another pass on the naval AI is planned, but not before September I believe (we are going to the Paradox Games convention in August and as such have to stabilize stuff before coding new behaviors :) )

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

The Traveller
Civilian

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi,
I started a new campaign with 1.16b5 (full campaign w/o kentucky). I play in French (normal for French)

I saw different problem (perhaps already noted but I didn't saw in this post or on forum, but I'm not sure to read all the posts :bonk :) . Some of them exist since a long time.

So a simple list:
- admiral icon disappears Image

- during a lost battle, I killed different units & saw my morale increasing. But the comment are lost morale (the sentence lost morale seems to be linked to the defeat) Image
In reality I win 1 point of morale even if the report spoke about 1 point lost

- On turn 7, the message about the "North newspaper pushing on the offensive" is wrote in english (when you put the mouse on the message)

- Problem with delay before new possibility to use. A problem in countdown because on June beginning the system put 4 turns and turn after put 0 turn.

- A problem also in Blocus: +1 point of morale but when selected, on the bottom of the screen -1 point is written. After turn resolution, the morale is increased by 1 (correct).

After I don't know if it's an error or not. during an attack by the South on Monroe Fort, even if I have some artillery with a distance of fire of 9, the result of fight put start to fire at 3 (my normal troop). I don't understand why the artillery didn't start before.

Gray_Lensman

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 am

deleted

Pocus

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 am

Update 1.16 beta 6, compatible with beta 5.

Further bugs fixing plus update on leaders biographies, courtesy of El Nino. :)

http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/temp/patch_AACW_v1.16b6.zip

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

richfed

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:08 pm

OK, I can see that the issue of hits in naval combat is fixed. Great!!! What other bugs have been addressed in this patch?

Thank you, Pocus!

richfed

Naval issue with beta 6

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:44 pm

See attached save ...

If you try to move the CSA fleet outside Fort Monroe, VA down the coast to one of the NC forts or, say, Wilmington, it calculates 3000-6000 days!!!

Another note: when the Orphan Brigade appears by event, clicking on the associated message in the mail box does NOT take you to the brigade's location on the map.

Yet, another note: I noticed earlier on, that a Union calvary unit [from CT, I believe] was referred to in the mailbox with a .MAP extension???????? Something like: "***brigade faled to engage CT calvary.MAP at Spotsylvania, VA"
Attachments
1861 April w-KY Campaign~CSA.zip
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 209 times

Captain_Orso

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Richfed, if what you mean with 'naval combat' is bombardment of naval units, I concur. Now the smack has a sting to it. :D

Pocus, depots built from river transports and supply trains still contain no supplies the turn they are finished, contrary to patch level 1.15 and previous, where the turn they are finished they are also fulled. I'm noting this, because you have yet to comment this, if this is intentional.

empusas
Corporal

Looking forward to the latest patch, thanks!

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Welcome to my first posting ever! I've had this game since it came out and have read the forums but now that I have installed the beta I think its time I start posting, maybe my input can even be of use to someone, who knows.

First, I'd like to say this game is one of the very few strategy games out there that I really can delve into with more thought involved about "global planning" over the whole theater of war... I can't get enough of that. (reminds me of the first I'd played P.T.O - pacific theater of operations later remade basically into Pacific Storm).

Anyway, I've installed the beta and am into March 62 and just now installed the newest update ... I see there might be a problem to expect with naval judgement on days to move (as long as it dont really take that long I'm good :bonk: Lets see how it goes!

I would like to say I've really enjoyed all the posts ive read over the years and I am soooo delighted there is someone like Pocus and Gray out there that keep the game fresh and still updating it for reality. This is definately the best experience I've ever had with the dedication of the staff with the work they do and the community. You Rock!

Others I enjoy reading strategy from that comes to mind is Dixicrat, Major Tom, and one other Jaggersomething.. going off memory here. But I just want to say thanks to you guys!

richfed

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Richfed, if what you mean with 'naval combat' is bombardment of naval units, I concur. Now the smack has a sting to it. :D

Yes, that is what I mean ... my blockaders are getting their arses handed to them! My ships don't seem to be having any effect on the forts at all. They take damage, but do not shell out any - so far.

richfed

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:23 pm

empusas wrote:Anyway, I've installed the beta and am into March 62 and just now installed the newest update ... I see there might be a problem to expect with naval judgement on days to move (as long as it dont really take that long I'm good :bonk: Lets see how it goes!

What actually happens is that the days are plotted and calculated - like a normal movement will occur [excepting the extremely long calculation] - and then, after several seconds, the travel path disappears and the fleet doesn't move at all.

---> Just discovered that if I manually plot the course - region by region, rather than dragging the fleet all the way to its destination - this anomaly does not occur. Time travel is normal. :bonk:

empusas
Corporal

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm very interested to see how much this hurts ...

I'm playing CSA and have been steadilly building up my blockade fleet to the point I have excess war supply so far without loosing any ships with the v5 patch. They are all out to sea now and I was worried I was getting overpowered (gotta have a challenge).

I am worried though that next turn I have the 3 starting ironclads getting ready to sail past Fort Monroe heading to Richmond to join up with the Virginia and slow down the blockade of the James River.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:36 pm

deleted

richfed

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Sorry, Gray - I was actually reporting the naval movement bug. The other two things I mentioned in that post were just afterthoughts. I'm not sure what turn the Orphan Brigade event fired in.

Jim-NC

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:52 pm

empusas wrote:Welcome to my first posting ever! I've had this game since it came out and have read the forums but now that I have installed the beta I think its time I start posting, maybe my input can even be of use to someone, who knows.

First, I'd like to say this game is one of the very few strategy games out there that I really can delve into with more thought involved about "global planning" over the whole theater of war... I can't get enough of that. (reminds me of the first I'd played P.T.O - pacific theater of operations later remade basically into Pacific Storm).

Anyway, I've installed the beta and am into March 62 and just now installed the newest update ... I see there might be a problem to expect with naval judgement on days to move (as long as it dont really take that long I'm good :bonk: Lets see how it goes!

I would like to say I've really enjoyed all the posts ive read over the years and I am soooo delighted there is someone like Pocus out there that keep the game fresh and still updating it for reality. This is definately the best experience I've ever had with the dedication of the staff with the work they do and the community. You Rock!

Others I enjoy reading strategy from that comes to mind is Dixicrat, Major Tom, and one other Jaggersomething.. going off memory here. But I just want to say thanks to you guys!

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your time here.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:53 pm

deleted

Captain_Orso

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:45 pm

richfed wrote:Yes, that is what I mean ... my blockaders are getting their arses handed to them! My ships don't seem to be having any effect on the forts at all. They take damage, but do not shell out any - so far.

Try moving into a coastal region which is one of the Exit Points of the fort with the fleet's bombardment button un-pressed. Then next turn press the bombardment button and watch the fireworks. My experience has been that if your fleet is moving with it's bombardment button pressed it lessens the likelihood of getting hits on the fort. Also if you are getting bombarded due to the Double Adjacency Rule being triggered vs Coastal Artillery they will usually inflict the maximum on hits, which is 50, while your fleet will probably fizzle at about 1-2 hits.

I have yet to notice any difference between 1.15 and 1.16b6 since bombardment once again does damage to both sides, which unless there was some change intended, is good :thumbsup: .

If you want a simple method of playing around with bombardment to learn what-happens-when, you can try this little scenario that I wrote just for this purpose attached below.

Have fun :)
Attachments
BombTest4.zip
(41.73 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

mikee64
Brigadier General

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:14 pm

richfed wrote:If you try to move the CSA fleet outside Fort Monroe, VA down the coast to one of the NC forts or, say, Wilmington, it calculates 3000-6000 days!!!

This is not new to this beta. I'm still using the latest 1.15 due to some ongoing pbems and its the same way in that patch - if you want to travel along the NC sounds and not get the huge travel time/cancelled plot behavior you must plot the path manually.
Mike

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”