Le Ricain

Saved Games on Vista

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:06 pm

Pocus wrote:Who among you would be kind enough to write a little doc (half a page and 2 small screenies) of what to do under Vista to see your saved games? This can help us in the future. (I still have XP on all my computers)

Go to 'Program Files'
Click on 'AGEod American Civil War'
Your screen should look like this:

Along the top there is a blue bar.
On the right hand side of the bar there is button 'Compatability Files'
Click on 'Compatability Files'

Click on 'ACW' from the right hand screen.

Click on 'Saves'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Pocus

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Le Ricain, I fail to understand what is different in your example compared to XP? I must be overlooking something, what does the compatibility files is used for?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

richfed

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:13 pm

It saves them here, Pocus:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\AGEod's American Civil War\ACW\Saves

Same with Logs, etc.

Hey guys, yes, Vista can be unusual, to say the least, but I have found it much more stable & secure than XP. I have grown to like it!
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Le Ricain

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Pocus wrote:Le Ricain, I fail to understand what is different in your example compared to XP? I must be overlooking something, what does the compatibility files is used for?

Pocus,

I have absolutely no idea what the compatibilty files are used for. I just know that this is where Starman found the saved files.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Pocus

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:19 am

ok understood, thanks.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:20 am

richfed wrote:It saves them here, Pocus:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\AGEod's American Civil War\ACW\Saves

Same with Logs, etc.

Hey guys, yes, Vista can be unusual, to say the least, but I have found it much more stable & secure than XP. I have grown to like it!

So to summarize, if you don't click on the button, you don't see the saves where they should, and if you do you spot then in this path?

Le Ricain

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 am

Pocus wrote:So to summarize, if you don't click on the button, you don't see the saves where they should, and if you do, you spot then in this path?

Yes, you have neatly summarized the situation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

richfed

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:26 pm

And, if I'm not mistaken, this is only the case if User Account Control is turned ON.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Hobbes

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm totally baffled by this, I just uninstalled BoA as I couldn't even see a directory called Save. I can see the blue bar in Windows Explorer but I only have the first three options - I don't have the "Compatibility Files" option.

I think I will wait until my PC is fixed and I can use XP again unless anyone can suggest anything obvious.
Cheers, Chris

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Hobbes wrote:I'm totally baffled by this, I just uninstalled BoA as I couldn't even see a directory called Save. I can see the blue bar in Windows Explorer but I only have the first three options - I don't have the "Compatibility Files" option.

If this problem to which you are referring is with Vista I found the save files for AACW this way:

Start Menu -> Computer
On the left hand side under the folders tab there should be an entry the name of the User (Bob, Steve, Stacey, etc.)

Open up the folder. Open up the folder AppData
AppData -> Local -> Virtual Store -> Program Files -> Ageods American Civil War -> ACW -> Saves

It should be similar to finding BoA Saves. Hope this helps.

Hobbes

Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:02 am

W.Barksdale wrote:If this problem to which you are referring is with Vista I found the save files for AACW this way:

Start Menu -> Computer
On the left hand side under the folders tab there should be an entry the name of the User (Bob, Steve, Stacey, etc.)

AppData -> Local -> Virtual Store -> Program Files -> Ageods American Civil War -> ACW -> Saves

Many thanks, I'll give that a go.
Cheers, Chris

Pocus

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:39 pm

W.Barksdale wrote:If this problem to which you are referring is with Vista I found the save files for AACW this way:

Start Menu -> Computer

So if I understand well, Vista is putting by itself data in the system partition? Wow, it is even better than I thought in this case. Restore your system with Northon Ghost or Acronis, and you lose a bunch of documents.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Pocus wrote:So if I understand well, Vista is putting by itself data in the system partition? Wow, it is even better than I thought in this case. Restore your system with Northon Ghost or Acronis, and you lose a bunch of documents.

Aye Vista thinks it knows better where things should be stored. :tournepas

shield1
Civilian

I can find the save files but the game cant.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:45 am

Hello,
I have read through this thread and am not sure if this is what my problem is or not. I found the files, and even transfered them into my save game folder that was left mt on the normal file path. But if I try and load a saved game it lists a string that ends in /main.log and crashes to windows. This has only happened after the 1.12 update was installed. If anyone knows why this is happenening, or has had and corrected this problem, I would appreciate any help on fixing this bug.
Thanks
Shield

Le Ricain

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:46 am

shield1 wrote:Hello,
I have read through this thread and am not sure if this is what my problem is or not. I found the files, and even transfered them into my save game folder that was left mt on the normal file path. But if I try and load a saved game it lists a string that ends in /main.log and crashes to windows. This has only happened after the 1.12 update was installed. If anyone knows why this is happenening, or has had and corrected this problem, I would appreciate any help on fixing this bug.
Thanks
Shield

I am not aware of anyone moving the saves from the Vista inspired location to the save game folder. I have had no problems with saved games and Vista.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

rocksthatkill
Civilian

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:07 am

Hi all..

I am new to the forums but been playing AACW for a while now...however all of a sudden I got a problem where I couldnt load saved games: Got a critical error message.

I have followed the above steps to locate the saved games (as I am using vista) - however, I don't understand how I now get the saved games to run - do I need to import them into the usual 'saves' directory? - I have tried this and got exactly the same error message.

The game worked fine till about 3 or 4 weeks ago and to my knowledge nothing has changed with settings etc....sorry if I sound dumb! don't know very much about computer stuff.

Any help is much apreciated

Nick

ETF

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:31 am

Le Ricain wrote:Go to 'Program Files'
Click on 'AGEod American Civil War'

Along the top there is a blue bar.
On the right hand side of the bar there is button 'Compatability Files'
Click on 'Compatability Files'

Click on 'ACW' from the right hand screen.

Click on 'Saves'

Damn I had this working. Deleted the short cut I set up. Now I can't get this to work. Can't seem to get the first pic. Nor the last. Damn Vista.

ETF

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 am

richfed wrote:It saves them here, Pocus:

Same with Logs, etc.

Ok went to this location the save files are still hidden. Hmmm.

ETF

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 am

Start Menu -> Computer

Well found this file no problem also but once again the 99% of the save games are missing somehow? I did at one point turn off that user control thingie :)
I turned it back on again as I thought that might be casuing some issues. Hmmm. Gee I hope they make a patch for vista owners. In a 4 month PBEM game and I can't find my saves :bonk:
Never seen anything like this with VISTA and my other games saved games.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:26 pm

I found this thread after reinstalling Vista and couldnt see my savegame files for love nor money, even though I could load up the saves ok. So thanks to the OP for saving me some bother :thumbsup:

Now a "fix" for this for anyone wanting the saves to appear in the Saves folder where they should be. Set the game to run in compatibility mode for XP sp2 and everything works as described in the manual regarding saved games. To do this:

Right-click on the ACW shortcut on the desktop

Go to the Compatibility tab

Tick the boxes for "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP sp2"
and
"Run this program as an administrator"

I guess once you know where to look in Vista its not really a problem, but this works for anyone wanting things to be normal.

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:21 pm

deleted

Whitman
Private

Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Wow, I never knew about that Compatability Button, that is great. I just assumed AGEOD had some feature where they did not want you to have acess to the SAVE files except thru the game - like some sort of anti-cheating thing. I never would have figured this out.., thank you very much.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:56 pm

Nope, all the doing of the evil empire (microsoft). And Gray thanks for that tip, I hadnt thought of that. I bet that might help with some of the old games I try to play on Vista too.

lodilefty

Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:18 pm

I've put a summary of this on the Wiki:

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Vista_Saved_Games

Comments, changes or additions are welcome! :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Great idea, Lodi! That will help to newcomers. ;) :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

markorvan
Conscript

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:50 am

Hello it was interesting, thanks

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”