squarian
Brigadier General

Official Patch 1.05 - comments and questions

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Excellent - thanks, Pocus et cie. :)

Hobbes

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:48 pm

:thumbsup: Now we can start on the next one! :)

Cheers, Chris

vonRocko
Colonel

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:12 am

Awesome! :thumbsup: Thank you.

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:22 am

Great

Thanks

Pocus

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:34 am

Hobbes wrote: :thumbsup: Now we can start on the next one! :)

Cheers, Chris

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lodilefty

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:47 am

Pocus wrote:Image

+1 :thumbsup:

:D

:mdr: :mdr: :mdr:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Taillebois
General of the Army

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks for this.

As an aside, can we have less religion in AGEOD's games please?

If canons were replaced by cannons we would have more firepower and less reliance on priests!

lodilefty

Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:04 pm

Taillebois wrote:Thanks for this.

As an aside, can we have less religion in AGEOD's games please?

If canons were replaced by cannons we would have more firepower and less reliance on priests!

:D

..but Daniel Webster didn't assemble a dictionary until much later.

Spelin wuz un optshun in thoze daiz :blink:

Will look at that :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:22 am

Thank you all for the hard work :)
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:55 am

Dear Tallebois: Religlion is a vital and important part of life in the periods covered by most of AGEODs games. IF you are so shortsighted to ignore it ... I will pray for you. t

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:09 am

*must... resist...*

tagwyn wrote:Dear Tallebois: Religlion is a vital and important part of life in the periods covered by most of AGEODs games.

... So is wit and good spirit. Both of which would seem to have suffered the same fate as religion since then.

:innocent: :siffle:
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

macnab
Private

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Many thanks to all who work on the patchs across the range of Ageod`s games :)

nemethand
Colonel

save game compatibility?

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi Pocus!

Thx for the new patch. Can I apply it to my ongoing PBEM?

thx for the answer

lodilefty

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:19 pm

nemethand wrote:Hi Pocus!

Thx for the new patch. Can I apply it to my ongoing PBEM?

thx for the answer

If you started your game under 1.04c, you may see several 'odd and unusual' effects due to new events. I'd say finish your game first.

If you started with 1.04c + Community Mod, you will see somewhat less 'oddity', but still could be wierd.... :wacko:

If you started under the 1.05 RC12 public beta, you should be OK.

Enjoy! :D
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:24 pm

[color="Blue"]Separated this thread from the actual patch.[/color]

I saw this suggestion in another thread, and think it will help keep the patch and update information 'less cluttered'. :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:29 pm

I installed 1.05, works fine.

Union AI still seems a pushover, but I didnt see anything crazy related to attrition, as in the early versions. Game feels improved.

Note: Key commands and features added at patch 1.04

- New sentry orders:
<SPACE>: In sentry for one turn.
<CTRL><SPACE>: In sentry until 90% healed.

Reminder:
<S>: Permanent Sentry (until moving or attacked) (hit again <S> or <SPACE to remove the sentry state)
<CTRL><S>: Remove all Sentry status on map.
<C>: Center on the selected unit
<SHIFT><C>: Center on the destination of the unit.
<H>: Put directly the selected force in structure, if some available in the region.

- You can <ALT>-left-click on a force tab to rename it. Some Armies with Leaders can't be renamed though.

- New Region finder. Works with <CTRL><F>

The new Alt-LMB feature to rename units is great!!

Ctrl-S I have a big problem with this, because I often use it when I want to save!

Which brings me to another question. Is there a list of all hotkeys somewhere? I found out about Q,W E,R T and am using them regularly. but it occured to me that I never really knew what the keys exactly do. I will write a review / introduction soon, and I would like to include this information for new players.

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:33 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:I installed 1.05, works fine.

Union AI still seems a pushover, but I didnt see anything crazy related to attrition, as in the early versions.

:blink: :bonk: :D

EDIT: What about updating the link in the Latest patches area of the forum? It still says 1.04c.
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:15 pm

TiFlo wrote: :blink: :bonk: :D

EDIT: What about updating the link in the Latest patches area of the forum? It still says 1.04c.

Have to find an admin for that. :blink:
I can only moderate the WIA forae... :D
[CENTER][/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:42 pm

pfff... One has a jedi avatar, and one has not even the power to manage the entire forum.

I am so disappointed... baby Padawan.

;)
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Taillebois
General of the Army

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:44 pm

@TiFlo - thanks ! *must...resist...*

By the way, has your avatar thingy just changed. I'm sure last time I looked it was a lonely Scot playing with his sporran. Now he seems to have some friends. How nice.

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:59 pm

It was a pleasure, really. ;)

Yeah, I'm toying around with graphics. But the lonely Scot from before wasn't playing with his sporran, nor with anything else down there for that matter. He was actually playing violin. The original is a painting from Robert Griffing that's called Long Way from Home, and which I deeply love. But I'd always been under the impression that the size of the avatar didn't do it justice, as you just proved.

Meanwhile, I'm back to a lonely soldier, his friends made the place too crowded. Although I may change my mind later, it still doesn't feel right...
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Is a "sporran" what I think it is?

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:10 pm

I won't risk a bet :D
This is a sporran.
[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 pm

No, this is not what I thought.

Question: Is it normal that Sir Henry Clinton has zero command points? I think I just found he will be pretty useless for me.

lodilefty

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:25 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:No, this is not what I thought.

Question: Is it normal that Sir Henry Clinton has zero command points? I think I just found he will be pretty useless for me.

He has the Quickly Angered ability, which penalizes him 4 points if in command. In a stack with a senior leader, he gets his points.

He was pretty useless to Gage and Howe too! Historically, he second-guessed his seniors and was generally a pain. Good in the field however, as evidenced by his other abilities...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

PANGI

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:08 am

I have little complain/question about Annus mirabilis scenario. I suppose main reason to place Wolfe's army in front of Quebec was AI, wasn't? But im not completely satisfied with this solution which i consider rather unhistoric. Shouldn't be Wolfe army placed rather in Montmagny region and Montcalm's army entrenched around Quebec? Did you try this schema or the one you choose is best for game performance?

I hope i didnt show much ignorance and really appreciate your work.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:39 am

lodilefty wrote:He has the Quickly Angered ability, which penalizes him 4 points if in command. In a stack with a senior leader, he gets his points.

He was pretty useless to Gage and Howe too! Historically, he second-guessed his seniors and was generally a pain. Good in the field however, as evidenced by his other abilities...

Thanks. I generally enjoy these subtle touches, but it's hard to play the game when you're not understanding it. I think the UI should make such drastic handicaps more noticeable. A lot of beginners will complain about this and maybe say the game is not transparent. I mean this as a suggestion for the coming games, RoP, VGN. In WiA I can live with it.

Another example: the british start the campaign with three two star generals. Clinton, Burgoigne and another one I can't remember. Clinton cannot command a stack, as we just found out. The other two are removed from the game just about the same time the stack becomes unlocked. So in the end the player needs to know in advance that they are more or less useless, and must use the one star generals. I guess I was just lucky I chose Smith and Grant for my surprise attacks on New York and Newport, had I used two star generals I would be f'ed.

In any case thanks a lot for clearing this up! So I will have to put Clinton back under Howes command.

lodilefty

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:45 am

PANGI wrote:I have little complain/question about Annus mirabilis scenario. I suppose main reason to place Wolfe's army in front of Quebec was AI, wasn't? But im not completely satisfied with this solution which i consider rather unhistoric. Shouldn't be Wolfe army placed rather in Montmagny region and Montcalm's army entrenched around Quebec? Did you try this schema or the one you choose is best for game performance?

I hope i didnt show much ignorance and really appreciate your work.

Yes, it was for AI help.

The AI has tendencies to wander off and look for soft targets, so this scenario was sterile [Frech vs AI just had to sit in Quebec to win]

To date, the majority of our improvement efforts have been targeting the Campaigns.

There are many modding opportunities in the game, and this would be an excellent one for someone who wishes to learn. ;)

Thank you for your interest in WIA :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:50 am

GlobalExplorer wrote:Thanks. I generally enjoy these subtle touches, but it's hard to play the game when you're not understanding it. I think the UI should make such drastic handicaps more noticeable. A lot of beginners will complain about this and maybe say the game is not transparent. I mean this as a suggestion for the coming games, RoP, VGN. In WiA I can live with it.

Another example: the british start the campaign with three two star generals. Clinton, Burgoigne and another one I can't remember. Clinton cannot command a stack, as we just found out. The other two are removed from the game just about the same time the stack becomes unlocked. So in the end the player needs to know in advance that they are more or less useless, and must use the one star generals. I guess I was just lucky I chose Smith and Grant for my surprise attacks on New York and Newport, had I used two star generals I would be f'ed.

In any case thanks a lot for clearing this up! So I will have to put Clinton back under Howes command.

Examining the unit detail and abilities for Clinton is, IMHO, enough information to explain this to the user. :)

Personally, I am not a big fan of 'helpers and cheaters', as the exploration of a game is where I get my enjoyment.

If anything, we may need to make the leader withdrawal events more random, and have similar events [non-combat death?] for all leaders. :blink:
After all, variability and uncertainty are a large part of replayability. :w00t:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Concerning my own person, I absolutely agree.

But I think you need to improve the accessibility if you want to sell more games. Just as an example of how average gamers, who never come to this forum, see this:

I can certainly see how this game will be very popular with hardcore grognards and Civil War fans. For me, however, AACW has left me with very mixed feelings. The incredibly steep learning curve together with the overwhelming and sometimes mind numbing amount of details almost buried the rather excellent operational level wargame that lies underneath. In the end, I always ask myself a simple question regarding games. Did I have fun playing this? This is by far the most detailed wargame I ever played. It is, however, also the most impenetrable. Yes, I did enjoy playing this. But it honestly took me a week or two to even get the hang of it and a week more before it stopped being a chore. If you've got the time and perseverance or are a total Civil War buff, by all means get this. If you however don't rank yourself amongst them you might want to pass this one up.

source

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”