Duckman
Sergeant

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:38 pm

I go by another nickname on Paradox too. And I have to say, Ricky is a gem. People constantly complain about the POP splitting. But frankly, the AI doesnt split POPs either so I dont either and I love how I can micromanage my society. Once turned the CSA into a Communist dictatorship :D

Duckman
Sergeant

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:49 pm

looks like there will be serious competition for VoN - Victoria 2 is hitting the shores come 2010

Generalisimo

Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:18 pm

Duckman wrote:looks like there will be serious competition for VoN - Victoria 2 is hitting the shores come 2010

There is a HUGE difference between them... one is RT and the other one is TB... ;)
But I am sure most of us will try both games... :D
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Mowers
Captain

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:00 am

Generalisimo wrote:There is a HUGE difference between them... one is RT and the other one is TB... ;)
But I am sure most of us will try both games... :D

Yeah, most of us will try both games.

But I think the key will be quality rather than approach; it will be interesting to see which company delivers the best product out of the box.

Mowers

Matin
Private

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:18 am

I think if both concentrate on their strenghts (the interaction of nations in Paradox titles and tactical warfare in Ageod games) we get two great games.

JBuford
Conscript

Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:39 pm

Yes i think too there will be enough difference between the two of them. But i will buy both, thats for sure :)

Hindaeneas
Conscript

Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:43 pm

A bit off topic below, but it still is about how I will :coeurs: for Vainglory to come out!

Another ex-paradoxan here, and I'm even the first one who signed up at Paradox forum (kullenius). But since then I have sadly been completely disillusioned by there "age of empire" new deal of taking out everything that has to do with history, and what I think once made them so talked about, albeit they still do good well thought about games - but without the thing that I think is so important.

I first noticed AGEod with their Roman game which I can't remember the name of (I bought it but could never play it because of the copy-protection somehow didn't allow me... maybe it wanted me to pay more attention to my studies? That didn't go so well since I downloaded a cracked version instead which worked brilliant... thank you for leaving that road of punishing the ones who purchase!) and years later once I managed to find it, I directly bought their Great Invasion and thought how brilliant an idea it was with Empire declining. They both shows a lovely theme, but lacks a lot in graphic and intuition UI (ah, those manual-free games were the days :wacko :) . Then many years later I rediscovered them with Wars in America and really liked the way it looked - but even though I bought it I never got past playing the intro once. How stupid of me :bonk: , and then I forgot about the company for what seems to have been ages - meaning till just about a month ago.

I think that it's quite clear (from my point of view) that AGEod comes from creating board games, and Paradox from computer games. AGEod clearly have matured enormously in making computer games, but sadly I can't say the same for Paradox and what is their weak point. They aren't even close to historical plausible (no matter how much they call it that) any longer, just another "taking over the world" game out of thousands (although Paradox do a LOT of background things that makes them much more complex and so forth, but they sadly aren't more then country A and B, not England and France).

I hope AGEod always will stay pure to the vision you have today, even if you don't get all the "click and conquer the world" players. But right now you make wonderful games instead! And just as I all they way up to EU3 always preordered everything from Paradox, you definitely have "stolen" over that wallet of mine, both because they (in my eyes) have declined, but mostly because how you have evolved so greatly :thumbsup: . Back to manual to start mastering this jewels.

PS. This isn't a flame bait or trolling or something like that. This is my subjective views and might have nothing to do with how you or the real world sees it or any facts in stone. My point is just how excited I am about finding this company, and especially this title.

Palpat
Colonel

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:44 am

Hindaeneas wrote:
I first noticed AGEod with their Roman game which I can't remember the name of (I bought it but could never play it because of the copy-protection somehow didn't allow me... maybe it wanted me to pay more attention to my studies? That didn't go so well since I downloaded a cracked version instead which worked brilliant... thank you for leaving that road of punishing the ones who purchase!) and years later once I managed to find it, I directly bought their Late Roman game. They were both showing off a lovely theme, but lacked a lot in graphic and intuition UI (ah, those manual-free games were the days :wacko :) . Then many years later I rediscovered them with Wars in America and really liked the way it looked - but even though I bought it I never got past playing the intro once. How stupid of me :bonk: , and then I forgot about the company for what seems to have been ages - meaning till just about a month ago.

Actually, Pax Romana and Great Invasions aren't Ageod games, as Ageod didn't existed yet. There were Philippe Thibault's games, and Ageod began with Wars in America.

Hindaeneas
Conscript

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:16 am

Palpat wrote:Actually, Pax Romana and Great Invasions aren't Ageod games, as Ageod didn't existed yet. There were Philippe Thibault's games, and Ageod began with Wars in America.

Ah ok. It was him I followed so that's why I was confused.

Ayeshteni
Captain

Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:14 pm

VGN, Vicky 2 and an EU2 update, its enough to make you religious. :coeurs:

Aye.
"You, O English, who have no right to this Kingdom of France, the King of Heaven orders and commands you through me, Joan the Maid, to leave your fortress and return to your country, and if you do not, so I shall make an uproar that will be perpetually remembered! Behold that I write to you for the third and final time: I shall write to you no further." - Jehanne d'Arc, Orleans 1428

Ayeshteni
Captain

Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:28 pm

RELee wrote:I also recall seeing Jayavarman and Ayeshteni both skulking about these hallowed halls. I could swear that I remember Rafiki mentioning OHgamer's name in one of his posts as well, although I may well have been imagining that.

(There is a member named OHgamer, although I don't know if it is the same one we know and love from Victoria. Says he's from Columbus, OH. Hmm.)

I expect we will all pretty much eventually show up, one way or another. :neener:

[EDIT - How could I forget alexander seil?]

I'm assuming everyone knows Generalisimo.

Jarkko Suvinen haunts the AACW forum too. :neener:

Aye.
"You, O English, who have no right to this Kingdom of France, the King of Heaven orders and commands you through me, Joan the Maid, to leave your fortress and return to your country, and if you do not, so I shall make an uproar that will be perpetually remembered! Behold that I write to you for the third and final time: I shall write to you no further." - Jehanne d'Arc, Orleans 1428

arsan

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Palpat wrote:Actually, Pax Romana and Great Invasions aren't Ageod games, as Ageod didn't existed yet. There were Philippe Thibault's games, and Ageod began with Wars in America.

In fact it was Birth of America (2006). Wars in America is Birth of America 2 and was released last year :)

Palpat
Colonel

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:01 pm

Indeed, I was thinking in wars of America 1 and 2 terms...

Prussian Prince
Captain

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:54 am

Never could get into Vicky. Been waiting awhile fro Vain Glory. I like both Paradox and AGEod. They both offer different yet fantastic games that keep me coming back. Paradox has gotten to big for it's britches (Company Size I mean). Their customer support though good is not on par with AGEod's. I like that about AGEod. I am on the HOI3 Beta Team and can tell you that we are committed to this game and will make it one of the classics. That said AACW keeps me coming back for more all the time. I own all of the AGEod games as well as WWI. I also own EUII, EU:Rome, Crusader Kings, and HOI3. Will buy Rise of Prussia and Vain when they come out as I have not been let down by AGEod's great games. The biggest difference with AGEod and Paradox is the playability and need for an immediate patch. Paradox games seem to need one right away and AGEod don't. But as a Beta I can say that the release patch usually makes Paradox's games playable until the more comprehensive 1.2 patch. Will stick with both companies and continue to play their great games. :coeurs:

Stewart
Player of many Ageod Games : AACW, ROP, BOA2 and PON!

Beta Tester for EU2 and HOI3:thumbsup:

Ayeshteni
Captain

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:59 pm

Prussian Prince wrote:The biggest difference with AGEod and Paradox is the playability and need for an immediate patch. Paradox games seem to need one right away and AGEod don't.

WWI most definately needed an immediate patch. ;)

Ayeshteni

Prussian Prince
Captain

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Ayeshteni wrote:WWI most definately needed an immediate patch. ;)

Ayeshteni

Ahh Yes, but WWI was done by an AGEod affiliate and not by AGEod personnel ;)
Player of many Ageod Games : AACW, ROP, BOA2 and PON!

Beta Tester for EU2 and HOI3:thumbsup:

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Hello folks,

with the risk of sounding harsh on Victoria I must confess it was a big disappointment when it was released. It didn't live up to standards. I still have all the original box and stuff.

I truly think the AGEOD games are better conceived. I had much more fun with the ACW game engine compared towards Victoria.

And after many years I still have bad feelings after Patricks disappearance (a fragrance of melancholie).

Mowers
Captain

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 am

dublish wrote:An influx of Paradox players? No wai! :siffle:

Back on topic, if VGN isn't better than Vicky, I'll laugh uncontrollably for several minutes. Even Johan said he hated Vicky. :D

shame, it was his most inspired peice of software.

It just didnt work as planned :)

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:50 am

You mean the turn ends without your interaction? Wowsers!! Does Johan (The Wizard) like Vicky II?

Palisadoes
Private

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:47 pm

tagwyn wrote:Does Johan (The Wizard) like Vicky II?

I don't actually know. He did campaign to remake it (against the CEO's desires), but he apparently didn't like it before?

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Have been on PI forums for a very long time and the only thing I have heard Johan admitting being wrong on about regarding Vicky was the POP system. I don't think he hate Vicky, he just realised that he was wrong on some of the parts of the game like the POPs.

One huge improvement PI have gone through since Vicky is the hiring of a Q&A responsible person which in my opinion massively improved PI's game both on release and further on. I think the failure with the release of WW1 could have been avoided if AGEOD had a Q&A coordinator.

So far too little have been revealed about VGN for me to make a permanent decision so I will wait and see if VGN will be added to the "buy"-list.
"Saw steamer, strafed same, sank same, some sight, signed smith" From "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Kotik,

that's not correct. Diplomacy was released after Victoria and was by far the worst game ever developed by Paradox. And essentially the worst game every by any company - in my personal experience. It was plain ugly, there were constant bugs, exploits and glitches and Paradox officially stopped the support for this game. It was like saying, Ok this is the best we can do now we go to something else.

Just after Victoria was released Patrick disappeared without any good motivation. IIRC it was Patrick that presented the first in game video prior to release that we all watched anxious to wait for the release of the game.

And the release of HOI3 is also a very difficult path to follow without using the words unprofessional and annoying. I just stopped playing the game when I spotted the amph. invasions bug when playing Japan (Japan = all about amph. invasions).

I really hope they'll surprise us in a few months to bring a better game then HOI2. For the moment that's not true.

I thinkg AGEOD is much more professional, and that's a real surprise for me to see that a French company outguns a Scandinavian company when it comes to quality (just take this a joke). :D

Harsch - but true words !

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:46 am

RELee wrote:I also recall seeing Jayavarman and Ayeshteni both skulking about these hallowed halls. I could swear that I remember Rafiki mentioning OHgamer's name in one of his posts as well, although I may well have been imagining that.

Eh. I know nothing of any "Paradox". Is there not a great chance that there may be two Jayavarmans in the grand strategy world? :wacko:
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Jarkko
Colonel

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 am

Jayavarman wrote:Eh. I know nothing of any "Paradox". Is there not a great chance that there may be two Jayavarmans in the grand strategy world? :wacko:

That is very likely, even considering they happen to have the same avatar on forums :p
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Generalisimo

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:22 pm

Jarkko wrote:That is very likely, even considering they happen to have the same avatar on forums :p

That's surelly a mere coincidence... :wacko: :D
Napoleon Bonaparte

alexander seil

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:06 pm

Spruce wrote:Hello folks,

with the risk of sounding harsh on Victoria I must confess it was a big disappointment when it was released. It didn't live up to standards. I still have all the original box and stuff.

I truly think the AGEOD games are better conceived. I had much more fun with the ACW game engine compared towards Victoria.

And after many years I still have bad feelings after Patricks disappearance (a fragrance of melancholie).

I don't see why there is an almost religious belief in AGEOD's ability to deliver on this.

Paradox has had the experience of making Victoria, after all. There's nothing to demonstrate that AGEOD can do a convincing "nation game," as opposed to a wargame.

caranorn

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:05 am

alexander seil wrote:I don't see why there is an almost religious belief in AGEOD's ability to deliver on this.

Paradox has had the experience of making Victoria, after all. There's nothing to demonstrate that AGEOD can do a convincing "nation game," as opposed to a wargame.

Look up the credits for Europa Universalis and you will know why people here have faith in ageod's ability to deliver a great "nation game" ;-) ...
Marc aka Caran...

Generalisimo

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 am

alexander seil wrote:I don't see why there is an almost religious belief in AGEOD's ability to deliver on this.

Really, I do not see why people tries to confront Paradox and AGEOD... Paradox's games are RT and AGEOD's games are TB... both can complement between each other, and us, wargamers, have more types of games to play.

Why would anyone want to have ONLY one of them??? :blink: ;) :D
Napoleon Bonaparte

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:29 am

Seems unfair to compare Vicky with a game we have not yet played. Just for me, I guess. t

Adlertag

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:56 pm

At least we can already see the maps of Victoria 2 and VGN are rather different...guess which one I prefer ?
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Return to “Pride of Nations”