DarthMath
Colonel

Tue May 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Doomwalker wrote:Thank you for the translation Darthman.

I am now better armed with a online translator that our gracious Queen, kindly provided me with. Now I am off to translate your and Vegitus's AAR. :)

Good luck for that !! Sincerely !! :)
But it's worth while the efforts !! :thumbsup:
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

Critical information about the tournament!

Tue May 12, 2009 6:04 pm

The vast majority of you who are reading this have played AACW more than a time or two, and so you've probably learned that one of the keys to the game is "Command". You want to have strong generals running the show, using their special abilities to grant key advantages to the units they command. Even so, you can make a strong general even stronger, if you provide him with an "aide de camp"!

"Yeah, right," you're probably thinking. "But what does this have to do, with the tournament?"
I'm glad you asked. :evilgrin:

We've been granted the honor of having the designer of the game play in our tournament. Even so, Monsieur Thibaut is actively involved with working on new AGEod games. We have to face the fact that there will be times when he's so busy, that he won't be able to make a quick response to whatever game he's playing, in the tournament. Enter the "aide de camp"!

Every so often, General Thibaut may need to have an "aide de camp" step in, for a single turn.
People like Pocus. Or maybe Rafiki. Obscure people like that. :D

So: the "coolness quotient" of this tournament has just gone up, again!
But wait... it gets even better!

Maybe you're thinking that you're not a particularly strong player, and so it's unlikely that you'll have the chance to actually play against PhilThib. If you're thinking this, I'm happy to tell you that you're wrong! :)

Our Tournament Director, Daxil, has come up with a great idea to address this issue that I think you'll like. Here's the way it works.

The first round is going to be an elimination round, to kinda clear the field a little bit. PhilThib and the people who proved themselves in the first tournament will receive a "bye" for the elimination round. So in other words, they won't have to play in the first round.

The preliminary round will be extremely important, because it will determine your seeding for the rest of the tournament! And just like in athletic tournaments, the 16th seed will play against the #1 seed, in the first "medal" round of the tournament. So: that means that if you barely squeak by in the preliminary round and end up being the 16th seed... guess who your opponent is going to be, in the next round?! :D

So: make a strong showing in the preliminary round, and you'll receive a high seed. But if you come in at number sixteen... well. You're next game will probably be your last in the tournament, but you'll certainly remember it for a long time! ;)

I know that it might be kinda scary, considering that you're going to be playing against the game's designer... so I'll tell you what: anyone who is defeated by PhilThib and his aides will receive a Gallantry medal, with a frosted Oak Leaf! And if you actually defeat him...? Well, we'll frost an Oak Leaf for whatever medal you'll win!

As you probably already know, you're going to be playing each side of a scenario, in each round. In the last tournament, the games were played sequentially. But in this tournament, they're going to be played concurrently. So: you'll be playing two games at once, in every round. Daxil has explained why in his tournament thread, so I won't repeat it here.

As far as I know, there's only one big decision left to make, about the tournament: we need to decide on which scenario we're going to play, in the preliminary round. When I say "we", that means you, too! Daxil has created a poll with four choices, so I'll provide a link at the end of this post so that you can vote, OK?

Right now, it's looking like the choice is really between "Bull Run", a 5 turn scenario, and "Shiloh", which is an 8 turn scenario. I voted for "Shiloh", because it's a little bit longer, and I think that it's one of those scenarios where each side has an equal chance. But whatever you choose, keep in mind that your seeding in the tournament will depend upon how well you do, after playing both sides! :)

Here's the link to Daxil's poll:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=145177#post145177

Good luck! :coeurs:

Jim-NC

Tue May 12, 2009 6:37 pm

One question you majesty (with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek), can the rest of us get an Aide de Camp? I would like Soundoff to "assist" me :mdr: . I jest of course.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PhilThib

Tue May 12, 2009 7:32 pm

And Lady Havely modestly forgot to mention she will be my precious aide de camp for "preparing" me to the inevitable: one (or more) of you guys will beat me :mdr:

Just to say thanks once more to Daxil and Havely for organizing this, and I am delighted to participate :coeurs: :thumbsup: :cool:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 12, 2009 7:44 pm

I found the "Queen!!" She is a fox right in the middle of the picture. I want to play. L3

Aphrodite Mae

The GRAPHICS Warrants!

Wed May 13, 2009 4:19 pm

When I presented the Warrant Officer medals, I left out a really important part of modding our game: graphics!

The Warrant series is all about modding, and so my original plan was to award an Oak Leaf to pin onto the Warrent Officer medal for graphics modding. But after I thought about it a little bit, I realized that people who are graphics modders aren't necessarily scenario modders, too. So, I decided that I would wait for a better idea, and just have the original Warrant series be about scenario mods.

Well, guess what? I think I've come up with a solution! :) I've created a Warrant series for graphics that parallels the Warrant series for scenario mods! (...Please hold your applause until the end, OK?) I'll talk about what to do if you're eligible for a medal from both series, later. (You can only wear one.) But first, I'd like to present the medals, and announce their eligibility requirements.

For Graphics I, you must have posted modified game graphics of any sort.

That includes annotated screen shots! :) So, if you've ever added little circles and arrows and labels and stuff like that to a screen shot in one of your AARs, you qualify! YAAAAAAY! :p ompom:

Maybe you remember that the AAR Commentator medal requires annotated screen shots. Well, if you qualify for the AAR Commentator medal, you also qualify for the Graphics I medal! Congratulations! YAAAAAAY! :p ompom:

Now for the symbolism stuff.

I've used the Warrant medals as a base, for what I hope are obvious reasons. The significant difference is that each flank has a gold stripe! The gold certainly stands out on the medal, doesn't it? That's because although both Warrant series are modding oriented, the graphics mods that are done to a scenario kinda stand out a bit more than the "under the hood" mods. I mean, think about it, for a second: which is more obvious... that Grant is now inexplicably clean shaven, or that region "Gawdforsaken" has less mud, in the Spring? It's a rhetorical question, of course. So, the Graphic Warrant medals stand out a bit more, with its gold stripes.

Even so, most of the graphics mod warrants are just a notch lower in dignity than the same level "scenario mod" warrant. That's because I think that modding scenarios must be a lot more boring and tedious than having fun, creating something pretty, and so I want to reward your dedicated tedium with a tiny little smooch of respect, OK? But since I can't smooch anybody anymore because I'm Queen and dignified and solomn and all that stuff, the sweet little smooch will have to be replaced with enhanced dignity, instead. (Actually, that kinda makes sense!) So: Serious Geeking wins respect, around here. At least, among Queens.

Now, you understand. I hope. But even if you don't, we need to move on, OK?

Next on the agenda is Graphics II! :)

For Graphics II, you must have posted an "in game" graphics mod for people to download.

So, the people who get this medal have made a mod that changes something about what we see on the screen, when we play the game. It doesn't have to be elaborate. For example, changing the details of an Infantry unit portrait is sufficient.

The next graphics level is the entry level for "did it from scratch". This next medal also rewards using photographs to create completely new models.

For Graphics III, you must present a completely new graphics model.

In other words, a new unit portrait which is notably different from existing ones. For example, creating a new "Sharpshooter" model that shows a soldier crouching, or maybe even using binoculars. Another example might be a new, historically accurate Zouave unit portrait. The important thing is that your new, historically accurate model must be able to be used in the game, or existing modded variants.

Now, it just breaks my lil' pea-pickin' heart to have to say this, but that last sentence kinda rules out creating models of Assault Balloons. At least, for now. That's because I haven't completed my scenario examining the ramifications of Airmobile Cavalry in the American Civil War. Yet. But when I do complete my "Horsies and Howitzers: Death from Above!" scenario, then I'm going to be needing lots of different Assault Balloon models, OK?

OK! This next level is the "Master" level of the series. It's the "Iron Tiger" of graphics!

But unlike the other "Master" medals, it doesn't require confirmation from the community. And why...?

For Graphics IV, your graphics must be being used in the commercially offered game, or in SVF*.

That's why!
My Queenly prescience is telling me that most of you already know who the first two nominees are. ;)

I hereby award the Graphics IV medal to Jabberwock and Nikel, for their exceptional contributions to AACW.

Congratulations, gentlemen! :) Your beautiful, masterful work is a part of the very foundation of our beloved game! So: congratulations... and thank you!

To all: If I've inadvertently left someone out, please let me know, OK? :) I might be prescient with obvious stuff, but I'm not omniscient. With this and all other medals, please let me know when I goof.

In fact, I'm going to make a proclamation.

Anyone who tactfully points out to me any error or omission on my part, in regard to medals and awards, shall be authorized to add a Bronze oak leaf to their Good Conduct medal, contingent upon my agreement that I goofed.

So that there won't be any misunderstanding, let's agree to this: when I make a post correcting the error, you'll be authorized to pin on your leaf, OK?

OK. Now, since I've presented the Graphics equivalent of the Iron Tiger, you're probably thinking we're done, right? Well, no. There's one more.

There is one more level of achievement, but as far as I know, there is only one person who qualifies... and she is no longer with us. :)

For Graphics V, your original artwork must be used in the commercially offered game, or in SFV.

The Graphics V award is the Distinguished Service Medal.

I hereby award the Distinguished Service medal to Sandra, as Graphics Level V.

Sandra's inspired artwork of the map of AACW has been internationally acknowledged as one of the most beautiful computer wargame maps, ever.

Thanks, Sandra! :)

Her original mapwork is the visual foundation of our game experience, from which all else follows. It is for this reason that I'm adding an Oak Leaf to her award.

I hereby award the bronze Oak Leaf to Sandra, to commemorate the nature of her contribution.

As I understand it, Sandra's work was first hand painted, before being digitized. What an artist! :) The entire idea of her lovingly painting a beautiful map of the United States is just wonderful, and so I'm thinking that she deserves to have her sweet little oak leaf frosted, don't you? Now, we're having some difficulties getting the "frosted oak leaves" to be just the way I want them, so I unfortunately can't post any of the "frosted" leaves, quite yet. But even so...

I hereby announce that Sandra's Distinguished Service medal leaf shall be frosted in perpetuity, in celebration of the coolness of her methods.

Congratulations, Sandra! We are fortunate to be able to enjoy your exceptional work! :)

*SFV is Clovis' renowned Grand Campaign mod, [color="Blue"]Struggle for a Vast Future[/color].
Attachments
Distinguished Service Medal w Bronze.PNG
Distinguished Service Medal w Bronze.PNG (2.14 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
Warrant IV Graphics.png
Warrant IV Graphics.png (985 Bytes) Viewed 6199 times
Warrant III Graphics.png
Warrant III Graphics.png (869 Bytes) Viewed 6188 times
Warrant II Graphics.png
Warrant II Graphics.png (810 Bytes) Viewed 6188 times
Warrant I Graphics.png
Warrant I Graphics.png (799 Bytes) Viewed 6188 times

MarkShot

Wed May 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Aside: [color="Purple"]Q-A-M has become impossible to gain access to. Once upon a time, there was such a thing as email, but now she can only be seen while holding court. So this morning, I stood in line for hours like many other commoners to catch a rare glimpse of Q-A-M. And now finally, I enter and bow.[/color]

Your Gracious Majesty,

I am currently TDY* to a foreign government (one of our allies, to be sure). But I wanted to use these few moments to say that no matter how far and wide I travel in this World, my heart shall always be yours. I shall feel always the radiance of your enlightened rule even when I have reached the known edges of civilization. I shall gaze upon the Moon at night only to know that your majesty lives and rules under that same Moon. So it is written, and it is true, and it is good.

Adieu, Your Gracious Majesty.

* Matrix/Panther Games - testing a new weapons system

Aphrodite Mae

Return anon!

Wed May 13, 2009 5:11 pm

MarkShot wrote:Adieu, Your Gracious Majesty.

I bid thee well, esteemed and favored Knight!

Alack... I bid thee adieu, MarkShot!
Adieu, to you, brave noble Knight, who has granted power to my humble throne.

Because of thee, my thingies green have grown beyond repute; and it is thee who has given me a high and lofty pedestal to view the wondrous secrets of the mysteries of AGEod. Indeed, other powers too wondrous to name have been bestowed upon my humble personage, by thee and thy efforts.

Tarry not; hasten to thy noble work, elsewhere. But know this: your place is vaunted, within my heart and mind, and ever shall be!

And so, I shall beseech thee: return, anon!

Adieu, my friend.

And thanks.

EDIT: For friends who aren't native English speakers, "Tarry" is an archaic word that means "Linger", and "Anon" means "soon". "Alack" is also archaic, and kinda translates into modern English as "What a bummer!" :D .

dooya

Wed May 13, 2009 7:28 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:[...]
your graphics must be being used in the commercially offered game, or in SVF*.
[...]
Actually, I did a graphics mod that is used in a commercial game published by AGEOD, its tiny, but its official. :cool:

[attach]7755[/attach]
Attachments
b_replayOFF.jpg
b_replayOFF.jpg (1.21 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
No quote - No bullshit!

Nikel

Wed May 13, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks AM! :thumbsup: :love:

Though it was needed to add This next medal also rewards using photographs to create completely new models, to be in the III group and so in the IV.

So you wanted me to be there, yes or yes :cool:

Hmm...you are a bad girl ;)

Aphrodite Mae

Newsflash!

Wed May 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Just in case you haven't heard: all slots have been filled, in the tournament!

But you know what? We still need people to sign up, just in case something unexpected happens and one (or more) of the 30 people who've signed on can't play, after all. It happened in the last tournament, so it will probably happen this time, too! So: all of fine gentlemen people who pushed the "maybe" button on Daxil's little tournament poll thingy... well, here's your chance to officially indefinitely commit yourself!

In all seriousness, it would be a good thing to have a couple more names on the roster, just in case.

Thanks, everybody, for signing on to make this the biggest tournament we've ever had! :thumbsup: :coeurs:

Aphrodite Mae

More about graphics!

Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

dooya wrote:Actually, I did a graphics mod that is used in a commercial game published by AGEOD, its tiny, but its official. :cool:

Well, then! By all means, your Excellency! :cool:

[Quote=Aphrodite Mae;145529]Anyone who tactfully points out to me any error or omission on my part, in regard to medals and awards, shall be authorized to add a Bronze oak leaf to their Good Conduct medal, contingent upon my agreement that I goofed.[/quote]

...Not so fast, with that bronze oak leaf, your Excellency... :D

Dixicrat wrote:[CENTER] Hark! What laughter peals, from beyond yon yonder thingy?
Methinks it is a woman, laughing...[/CENTER]

In other news:
Nikel seems to think that I may have been too lenient, in awarding him a Master's medal! :eek:

Nikel wrote:Hmm...you are a bad girl ;)

Well: sometimes, Queens must be bold and ruthless in their actions, doing whatever it takes to advance their agenda for the good of the realm!

However, this isn't one of those times.

Very well. Let's take a poll, and agree that the results must be unanimous, OK? Here's the question:
Does Nikel deserve the highest honors for his accomplishments in Graphics, having d-...

Gosh. I didn't even get to finish the sentence! There's that Queenly prescience again, and its just deafening. So... I guess it's unanimous! No matter what your methods or sources are, Nikel, it seems pretty obvious to me that you're among our greatest artists. Thanks for what you've done!

My husband pointed out my personal favorite, of the work you've done. It's the portrait that you did, of the great big cannon.

Just look at this, everybody!

My favorite parts...? I like his sweet little hat, and cute little shoes, and adorable little sword! The detail is just fabulous!
Standing there beside that not-so-sweet great big humongous cannon! Wow! :w00t: I mean, I didn't even know they made cannons that big, back then!

So. There's my proof, if any was needed. You're a Master, and that's that. ;)
Attachments
attachment.png

dooya

Wed May 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Well, then! By all means, your Excellency! :cool:

...Not so fast, with that bronze oak leaf, your Excellency... :D

[...]
I wasn't joking, Lady Mae. I did the "replay" button for ACW, and modified the panel and the "next turn" button to fit in the new replay button. Furthermore, I did the new texture for the replay front end. :)
No quote - No bullshit!

Aphrodite Mae

My apologies!

Wed May 13, 2009 10:04 pm

dooya wrote:I wasn't joking, Lady Mae. I did the "replay" button for ACW, and modified the panel and the "next turn" button to fit in the new replay button. Furthermore, I did the new texture for the replay front end. :)

I think that's wonderful, Dooya!

I did think you were joking. I thought that you'd just done a screen capture of a button, pasted it into your previous post, and were teasing me.

But now that I know better...
If you have made a contribution to the graphics of the game, you are entitled to wear the medal, sir! :thumbsup: Forgive my oversight... please wear the medal with honor, and the bronze leaf, as well!

My only regret is that I dismissed as a joke what was a laudable and commendable effort on your part, which has made a contribution to the game. I apologize with sincerity, my friend.

[SIZE="1"]Stand back. I'm going to shout.[/size]

I hereby award our German Ambassador the Graphics IV Warrant, for his contribution to the graphics of the AACW. Furthermore, I award him the Bronze Oak leaf for his good conduct medal, for bringing to my attention an oversight in regard to medals and their award. Finally, I award the German Ambassador a Bronze Oak leaf for his Diplomatic Ambassador medal, for his gravitas and dignity in his handling of this sensitive matter.

Congratulations, your Excellency! :)

Here are your medals!

Attachments
Warrant IV Graphics.png
Warrant IV Graphics.png (985 Bytes) Viewed 6180 times
Good Conduct 16 months w bronze.PNG
Good Conduct 16 months w bronze.PNG (1.64 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
German Ambassador w Bronze.PNG
German Ambassador w Bronze.PNG (1.77 KiB) Viewed 6187 times

Nikel

Wed May 13, 2009 10:05 pm

You are very kind AM :)

But the unit is like the portraits, a colored existing graphic. Look at the explanation here, post 222 and followings ;)

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=137135&highlight=rodman#post137135

Besides there is some bias here because your husband is an artillerist :neener: You can call me colorist better than artist, and create another medal. But it is too late now, the medal is in my signature :D As we say in Spain lo que se da no se quita Free translation: you cannot get back what you give :coeurs:

Aphrodite Mae

Wed May 13, 2009 10:56 pm

Nikel wrote:Besides there is some bias here because your husband is an artillerist :neener:

You're absolutely right: there was a bit of bias, because of my husband's inexplicable love for enormous, extremely loud, really dangerous great big guns. But I overcame that bias, even though I'm utterly sick of tripping over big fat books of civil war artillery, and listening to him drone on and on about stupid Civil War artillery fuses, and waiting for him to come to dinner (and waiting, and waiting) because he's doing some sort of mind-bending mathematical analysis of artillery models, in the game...

So: yes. There is a bias here, regarding artillery. :D

But you know what? Your artillery graphics are good enough to have swept that bias aside... whether your work is simply colorized, or whether you have some sort of software where you can simply push the "make it perfect for AACW" button and have it do everything else. Nobody else is doing it quite as well as you are, and that's the way it is, and I'm not going to argue about this any more. ;)

Nikel wrote:As we say in Spain lo que se da no se quita Free translation: you cannot get back what you give :coeurs:

I have nothing but the deepest respect and admiration for Spanish culture. Indeed, some of the men that I most admire on these forums are Spanish! However, I must disagree with the lovely phrase that you shared. I must disagree, simply because although I give a great deal of myself to this forum, I receive much, much more in return than I give. :) :coeurs:

dooya

Thu May 14, 2009 7:07 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:[...] Furthermore, I award him the Bronze Oak leaf for his good conduct medal, for bringing to my attention an oversight in regard to medals and their award. Finally, I award the German Ambassador a Bronze Oak leaf for his Diplomatic Ambassador medal, for his gravitas and dignity in his handling of this sensitive matter.
[...]
Many thanks for all those leaves (reminds me of raking leaves in Fall :niark: ), but I really do not deserve the Bronze Oak leaf for the good conduct medal, because you really could not have known that I contributed to ACW, as it was never mentioned in the forums. :)
No quote - No bullshit!

Jim-NC

Thu May 14, 2009 6:03 pm

I was looking back at old posts in this thread, and realized that no one has been nominated for any of the original medals (since our Queen made the original nominations). Fellow knights, this thread was started for the purpose of nominating members who do great things in this community. Don't forget to nominate those you feel have met those conditions (valor, gallentry, service). If you are unsure who qualifies for what, then look back.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nikel

Thu May 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:because of my husband's inexplicable love for enormous, extremely loud, really dangerous great big guns. But I overcame that bias, even though I'm utterly sick of tripping over big fat books of civil war artillery, and listening to him drone on and on about stupid Civil War artillery fuses, and waiting for him to come to dinner (and waiting, and waiting) because he's doing some sort of mind-bending mathematical analysis of artillery models, in the game...

:rofl: Thanks, you made me laugh a lot :) :coeurs:

Aphrodite Mae wrote:or whether you have some sort of software where you can simply push the "make it perfect for AACW" button

The button exists but it is splitted in a lot of subbuttons that have to be subpushed many times :D ;)

Aphrodite Mae wrote: However, I must disagree with the lovely phrase that you shared. I must disagree, simply because although I give a great deal of myself to this forum, I receive much, much more in return than I give. :) :coeurs:

The phrase in spanish is more or less funny, complete is

Santa Rita Rita
lo que se da no se quita

But I understand what you meant :)

Aphrodite Mae

The FOREIGN SERVICE medals!

Thu May 14, 2009 10:12 pm

Bill and I own every AGE engine AGEod game except NCP. Maybe you own more than AACW, too! :) If you do, you may be eligible for a "Foreign Service" medal! :w00t:

The requirements for the medal are simple:
You must own one or more other AGEod games and participate in its/their community by actively reading and writing posts on the other game's forums.
That's all it takes, to earn this medal!

Now, for each additional game forum in which you regularly participate, you're entitled to an Oak Leaf! So, for example, if you're active in the BoA II, NCP, and WWI forums, then you're entitled to wear a gold oak leaf on your "Foreign Service" ribbon!

The symbolism of the colors and stripes have been covered elsewhere... hopefully by now, you know how to "read" these medals. :)

Here's what it looks like!

That's a pretty cool lookin' medal, you have to admit! :)
But there is another, that's even better. :cool:

If you participate in PBEM in other AGEod games, you are awarded the Veteran Foreign Service medal.

The dignity of the Foreign Service medals is between the AAR medals and the Combat Command medals.
Attachments
Veteran Foreign Service.png
Veteran Foreign Service.png (1.04 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
Foreign Service.png
Foreign Service.png (697 Bytes) Viewed 6198 times

Redeemer
Major

Sat May 16, 2009 4:56 am

I would like to nominate JIM-NC and Dixicrat for the Service Medal for several helpful and insightful posts that have taught me even more about the game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Sun May 17, 2009 3:37 am

Fellow Knights,
In reviewing this forum to determine what medals I am eligible for, I noticed that 2 of the Iron Tiger nominations never were seconded (a very large oversight). Runyan99 and Jabberwock were never awarded the medals. They need more than a +1, they actually need to have a citation to go with the medal.

Your Majesty,
If we host games during the new tournament, do we get recruiter or service medals (or both)? And do the games count towards our combat command awards, or go to the oak leaves?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 17, 2009 6:58 am

Jim-NC wrote:Fellow Knights,
In reviewing this forum to determine what medals I am eligible for, I noticed that 2 of the Iron Tiger nominations never were seconded (a very large oversight). Runyan99 and Jabberwock were never awarded the medals. They need more than a +1, they actually need to have a citation to go with the medal.

Well I'm not into writing citations these days but certainly a big +1 from me for Runyan99 and Jabberwock. If I'm any good at all at this game its in large measure due to the teachings of these two highly skilled players :thumbsup:

Aphrodite Mae

An apology, and a proposed fix

Sun May 17, 2009 10:07 pm

soundoff wrote:Well I'm not into writing citations these days[...]

I'm sorry, guys, if I made nominating people for the "prestige" medals a hassle. I wasn't trying to make it complicated, or a monumental effort on your part, or anything like that.

The reason why I suggested writing linked citations and stuff like that was because I wanted the medals to mean something. I wanted them to be real honors: an honor that kinda transcended the whims of a single person (me) saying, "hey, you deserve a medal!"

I suggested citations and links and so forth because I thought that if you took the time to hunt up an example of what the person had done to deserve the medal, it would be a good thing. I thought that this would show that you were willing to make a small sacrifice of time and effort, to kinda add a little "weight" to honoring your buddies. And it seemed to me that providing a link to an example of something worthy of honor would give other people a chance to see something instructive, or cool. Or both!

So, anyway, I've been thinking for a couple of weeks now that maybe I was a little too ambitious with my well-intentioned aspirations. I've been thinking this, because as Jim-NC pointed out, none of the "honor" medals (except for the Gallantry medal) have had any nominations!

Here's what I plan to do, to fix the situation.

I'm going to create a simple "points" system. Different medals will require different points. I'll post a spreadsheet or a table or something like that, that will make it simple to understand, and easy to do, OK?

So: if you think that someone deserves a certain medal, and you want to take the time to create a link to an example... great! That'll result in a bunch of points! But if you're too busy doing other stuff but you think the person deserves the medal, "+1" will be just fine. And that will be one point! Maybe writing a sentence or two simply saying why the person deserves the medal will be worth two points. And so forth.

Anyway, enough of that for now. Let's move on to the business at hand! :)

Aphrodite Mae

Two new Tigers!

Sun May 17, 2009 10:08 pm

I nominated Jabberwock and Runyan99 for the Iron Tiger; and I'm thinking that the words of Spharv2 and Soundoff have added more than enough dignity to the nominations for it to be confirmed, linked citations or not. ;)

I hereby award the Iron Tiger to Jabberwock and Runyan99!

Congratulations, gentlemen!

I was going to say, "You have joined the ranks of our most respected players," but that would be silly, since you were already there. Just like Soundoff said: I've learned a lot, from the two of you. And so has everybody else.

...Now, we have two tiger matches going on! The one between Soundoff and Banks; and the one between Manstein and Runyan99! :w00t:

Here's a link to the thread of the Runyan/Manstein 2008 tournament game:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=146180#post146180

...And here are links to the "titanic tiger tiff" ( :D ) between Soundoff and Banks!
Bank's AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12869
Soundoff's AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12870
Attachments
Iron Tiger.png
Iron Tiger.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 6124 times

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Congrats

Tue May 19, 2009 5:13 am

Congrats Jabber and Runyan. Both medals are well deserved. :thumbsup:
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Dixicrat
General

Tue May 19, 2009 10:46 pm

Redeemer wrote:I would like to nominate JIM-NC and Dixicrat for the Service Medal for several helpful and insightful posts that have taught me even more about the game.

I greatly appreciate your nomination, Redeemer. It truly made my day! :) It's a good feeling to know that I've helped you to such an exent that you feel that I deserve a medal. Even so, I can't accept your gracious honor. If you'll indulge me, I'd like to explain why.

Our forums now have two ways for us to honor one another: Havely's medals, and "reputation". Medals tend to augment reputation. As I see it, medals provide an explanation of how a person's rep has been attained. I'd like to take a moment to talk about my views on reputation, and how that fits in with Havely's medals... and how all of that comes together in a way that precludes my accepting this medal.

I respect "reputation" on these forums. In a sense, reputation on these forums represents more than acclaim. I think that it represents leadership, too... a leadership which differs from traditional definitions. It's not so much about inspiring men to do more (and do it better), as it is the kind of leadership that inspires you to read that person's posts, to learn more.

I've acquired my pips of reputation, honor, leadership, or however you choose to term it because people, like you, have found what I've written to be useful. I doubt that everyone will agree with what I'm about to say, but it's my belief that there comes a level of reputation and honor where you're expected to contribute "quality stuff", routinely, without reward. With honor comes responsibility. :)

I've been awarded the prestigious "Cadre" medal, with honors. This medal rewards persons who have acquired the role of instructors, in a sense. I'm honored to wear the Cadre medal: it complements my reputation, in a way that inspires me to do more, and do it better! That's not hyperbole. I really mean that. And this brings me to the point of why I can't accept this medal.

I have a high reputation, and I am Cadre. At my level of reputation and medals, I am expected to share my knowledge. I am expected to set an example. I am expected to be a leader. In my humble opinion, anything less tends to dishonor the spirit of the medal, and the honor of the rep that I've received. And so, for these reasons, I feel compelled to decline your honorable gesture.

But even so, I'd like to thank you for the nomination. Like I said: it made my day. ;)

Now, as for your nomination of Jim-NC for the Service medal, I completely agree! :) Jim-NC has made several interesting posts that have filled in several gaps in my knowledge of AACW.

I'll second Jim-NC's nomination for the service medal, for his thread on Experience.

I happen to be a close confidant of the Queen, and so I know that my seconding the nomination confirms the medal. Congratulations, Jim-NC! :thumbsup:

Nikel

Tue May 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Sorry Dixicrat, but you cannot reject your medal

No way. I know it :niark: ;)

Jim-NC

Wed May 20, 2009 2:59 am

Thank you Redeemer and Dixicrat for nominating and seconding me on the service medal. I can't wait for the official awarding ceremony ;) I will wear this with pride. Now I have to figure out how to make my rack since I now have several medals. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Wed May 20, 2009 8:01 am

Jim-NC wrote:Now I have to figure out how to make my rack since I now have several medals.

No worries Jim. If you need some assistance with this, let me know what you have received and I will hook it up for you. :thumbsup:

(rolls out sign saying: DW's Rack Service Grand Opening)
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Return to “General discussions”