soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Another Grand Campaign

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Now I know this might be well out of order...but I've been thinking it for a while...so I'm going to say it. Is'nt it about time for another Grand Campaign.

So the first two kind of fizzled out but the concept is still first class. We have Banks and myself trying to generate interest in PBEM'ing with our joint AAR. We have Mae trying to promote PBEMing through her brilliantly conceived military awards.

Are we then really saying as a community that we cannot find a 'few good people' to participate in a Grand Campaign and see it through to the end?

I know the tournament is in progress but so what? Banks and my AAR is still in progress....but speaking for myself I'd be more than happy to take a position in another Grand Campaign.

Of course even if there are enough willing to participate...it needs someone with real dedication to co-ordinate.

Just my daft two pennyworth :coeurs:

Spharv2

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 pm

I'm game, I enjoyed the initial one, even if it did die a premature death. Been wanting to get back into some PBEM anyway.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

biggp07
Corporal

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:59 pm

I too would like too see a GC! I have really enjoyed reviewing the previous ones and hope I can learn from the next.

cobraII
Captain

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:31 pm

I be in for a GC if you guys get one going. preferably for the South.
Quote General Lee Gettysburg movie,
"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

stegosarus_army
Sergeant

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 am

The idea is excellent.
I'd be down for another GC. :thumbsup:

dragoon47
Private

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 am

Hell, I'll do it...oh wait,"...a 'few GOOD people'!"

I guess I'm out :D .

Seriously though, I'd do it if I was able to find out how this whole PBEM thing works first, along with any strange "house rules" this game apparently has, I personally think it balances itself out though by historical attrition and 3 redeploys per turn...at least until the Union starts invading the entire Deep South by sea :thumbsup: .

patryn8
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:03 am

Sounds fun to me.

PascalB
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:59 am

I'm a bit noobie on AACW, and i'm trying my second campaign against poor AI, but I'm really interested by your AARs and I'll ask for a true opponent as soon as I bring back my net connection (in 2 month I hope)

I would like to thanks all people who made these precious AAR! That was an amazing support for me...and a really interesting one :thumbsup:

Bertram

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:08 am

I would like to participate.

Need about a week till my new comp is running, but the speed those things get set up, that is plenty of time I guess :) .

PascalB
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Sounds good...
I'll try PBEM campaign... But I play with 1.12 version...
(I can update if u really want)

Next step... who wanna fight against me? :) As a great noobie I'll take CSA side, I like challenge... yeah yeah i'm mad :bonk:
Best for me is a french speaking opponent, I'm from Belgium :neener: , but my English is not so bad...

pm me if you're interested.

Seeya soon

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:14 pm

I think another GC would be alot of fun. But then, I'd probably just be a cry baby if I didn't get to be on Soundoff's team :D .

Really though, it would be quite an undertaking for those that wish to play along. Certainly not something for the feint of heart.

There are a couple of things I'd like to see different about how the game is administered...I suppose only one major change...and that would be, allowing "game speak" in the seperate war rooms. Communication is key...and I think it's part of what held up the last game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Cool....

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Im in... A grand campaign sounds good to me.... :)

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Seems like there is enough interest out there for another GC attempt. BUT the 64,000 dollar question is.......is there anyone willing and able to bring it together?

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:41 pm

But Havely won't play!! t

bburns9
Sergeant

64,000 Question

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:51 pm

soundoff wrote:Seems like there is enough interest out there for another GC attempt. BUT the 64,000 dollar question is.......is there anyone willing and able to bring it together?

What would be needed to bring it together? I work from home and don't have any major business trips for the next couple of weeks, so I'm available to help, but I'm a noob so I'm not sure what's all involved.

BB
Find out what Grant drinks and send a barrel of it to each of my other generals! - A. Lincoln

Rafiki

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:58 pm

Based on prior experience, I'd say it'll take a short while to get up and running, and it'll last a whole lot longer than just a few weeks; success = months of play :D

People who are stepping up to bat need to know that if they want to take part, they need to be able to do so in the long run. In any case, there needs to be agreed upon SOP's for how to handle absences and when people no longer are able to participate.

A personal hope of mine is to see a whole lot more AAR'ing; there has been some great AAR'ing in the past Grand Campaigns, but some of the AARs were a bit intermittent and others rarely even got updated.

There are, of course ways to address these things, though :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:14 am

Rafiki wrote:Based on prior experience, I'd say it'll take a short while to get up and running, and it'll last a whole lot longer than just a few weeks; success = months of play :D

People who are stepping up to bat need to know that if they want to take part, they need to be able to do so in the long run. In any case, there needs to be agreed upon SOP's for how to handle absences and when people no longer are able to participate.

A personal hope of mine is to see a whole lot more AAR'ing; there has been some great AAR'ing in the past Grand Campaigns, but some of the AARs were a bit intermittent and others rarely even got updated.

There are, of course ways to address these things, though :)

I totally echo your sentiments Rafiki, that if there is going to be another GC there needs to be a whole heap of AARing and a method of covering absences to ensure that the whole thing rolls along without too many delays. (I'd have thought a turn a week should be achievable but then I've no experience of ever having played in a GC)

I know players should get as much 'fun' as they can from participating but my take on the concept is that it should not simply be for the gratification of the players. It should hopefully be for the enjoyment of of ALL of the AGEOD Community, the love of the game and to help continue to promote it. :thumbsup:

dragoon47
Private

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:47 am

So...is there a link to the rules and how this thing works anywhere? Or am I volunteering for some biogenetic testing of some sort :D ?

Also, either you or Banks needs to update your AAR thread, I want to see these bold moves of which you speak :thumbsup: !

Rafiki

Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:33 am

soundoff wrote:I totally echo your sentiments Rafiki, that if there is going to be another GC there needs to be a whole heap of AARing and a method of covering absences to ensure that the whole thing rolls along without too many delays. (I'd have thought a turn a week should be achievable but then I've no experience of ever having played in a GC)

A week a turn is quite feasable, especially if it is enforced.

One change compared to previous iterations that I think would be good to do is to have a player on each team with the role of "deputy-at-large", who would step in any of the other roles (president, theater commander) on short notice.

Additionally, I think it could be good to have two coordinators (provided there are enough people interested in the project), since then there'll be a failover there too.
soundoff wrote:I know players should get as much 'fun' as they can from participating but my take on the concept is that it should not simply be for the gratification of the players. It should hopefully be for the enjoyment of of ALL of the AGEOD Community, the love of the game and to help continue to promote it. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

The way I see it, there are two parts to a GC; the PBEM and the AAR'ing; both need to work for the GC to be a success :)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:15 am

dragoon47 wrote:Also, either you or Banks needs to update your AAR thread, I want to see these bold moves of which you speak :thumbsup: !

Its done ;) My but there are some slave drivers in a previous existence on these boards :love:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 am

Rafiki wrote:One change compared to previous iterations that I think would be good to do is to have a player on each team with the role of "deputy-at-large", who would step in any of the other roles (president, theater commander) on short notice.

Additionally, I think it could be good to have two coordinators (provided there are enough people interested in the project), since then there'll be a failover there too.

So, if I read that right Rafiki it would be a president and two theatre commanders per side plus a 'deputy at large'.....a total of 8 plus 2 coordinators so it would need 10 committed folks for it to work yes :thumbsup:

How does that fit with players who have experience of the GC?

I'm sure that finding the 8 might not be too difficult but what about the two coordinators? Its such a key role.

Rafiki

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:11 am

Well, I could fill the main coordinator slot? :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:25 am

Well I'd like to volunteer for a theatre command role...preferrably Confederate but I'd accept anything. Its just that its about time I had a change. Please though (if I'm lucky enough to be picked) not one of the presidential roles. My approach is much to much broad brush for that. :)

Rafiki

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:43 am

Let's crank this up a notch this weekend, then see where we go from there :)

(Yes, this is a teaser ;) )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Rafiki wrote:Let's crank this up a notch this weekend, then see where we go from there :)

(Yes, this is a teaser ;) )

Sounds good to me :thumbsup:

PascalB
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:33 pm

I'm ready to go with this nice aim...
Both sides are interesting so...
For lack of good programs and none experience in screenshots and workings I better like to be a (good? :love :) field general :thumbsup:

Pm me if U wanna include me in this great stuff :cool:

Regards

Rafiki

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:15 pm

There'll be a proper thread for a call to arms :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:18 pm

I'd take theater command or presidential, either side. I'm not picky, so long as I get in on it. :)
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dublish
Corporal

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm interested, but I'm a complete PBEM newb and I may have commitment issues once August rolls around.

Maybe I could serve as a temporary substitute if one of the major players is away for a week or two?

runyan99

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:19 pm

Joining is easy. Finishing is hard.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”