Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:53 am

tc237 wrote:Hi,
I gathered up all of AM's medals and put them into a single Photoshop file as individual layers.
Hopefully it is a help to anyone making a rack using Photoshop, GIMP, etc...
Let me know if there is a problem with the files.

Looks good TC. I use both Photoshop and Paintshop, worked fine with both progs.
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Hobbes

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Thanks, Tag! That will be fun! Plus, I'll have a chance to win my second "Succor of the Vanquished". ;) Let's discuss the arrangements elsewhere, so we won't disrupt the thread, OK? Send me a PM! :)

Now. Regarding the prestigious "Stuffed Tiger".

Thank you, Hobbes, for telling me that you thought that the medal was beautiful. That truly meant a lot to me. :coeurs:

You never lost your Knighthood! Only a dishonorable or malicious act could ever do that. The only thing you lost was the medal, when you made that 2001st post. But guess what?! I've got great news for you! You can have your "Stuffed Tiger" back!

After careful consideration, I have decided to [color="DarkRed"]rescind my recension[/color] of the "Stuffed Tiger" award to Hobbes. The award's eligibility requirement is changed to read, To be eligible for this medal, you must have 2000 posts [color="DarkRed"]or more[/color].
The recension claus is removed. Once won, the medal is yours from now on! :)

Now: reaching 1000 posts is a significant milestone too, and so I've decided to be sweet and offer an award to those men who reach that milestone.

Here's the "Small Stuffed Tiger". :)

This medal is awarded to those who have posted 1000 posts or more.

Only one stuffed tiger may be displayed, at a time.

The medal has a dignity placing it between the "Field Officer Duty Medal" and the "Gallantry" medal.

Only your ribbon upon my lance could give me greater joy than this medal my lady. And a Stuffed Tiger it must be called rather than the Médaille de deux mille, for this Knight at least.

I wonder though, is there a Black Knight who has your heart? I have seen a black elite medal that has appeared several times only to mysteriously vanish. I would post the image but it has gone once again.

As always, your servant my dear lady.

MarkShot

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:37 pm

Dear AGEOD Den Mother,

From time to time, I've also noticed, the above, something ... well, like a black rectangle, maybe a black medal ... or my worst fears is that it is the biggest stuckest pixel ever seen on a 21" LCD! Gee, I hope I don't have to call NEC support and talk to someone straight off the set of Slumdog Millionaire ... "Sir, is the display plugged in? Sir, you do realize that the USA uses 110 volts and not 220 volts? Sir, the display is meant to be viewed from the shiny side. etc..." So, please tell me what's going on and that my LCD ain't broke? Thanks.

Dixicrat
General

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Hobbes wrote:[...]
I wonder though is there a Black Knight who has your heart? I have seen a black elite medal that has appeared several times only to mysteriously vanish. I would post the image but it has gone once again.
[...]

With all due respect sir, perhaps you are mistaken.

What you describe sounds to me to be clandestine. Something which silently appears here and there, only to quietly disappear again, as mysteriously as it came?

:mdr:

Hobbes, you know that I hold you in the highest esteem, but this sounds simply preposterous! It sounds as if you're describing some sort of "Commando" medal!

No, my friend. I suggest that you forget whatever it is that you think that you've seen.

Even if such a thing existed, I couldn't tell you about it.

I'd have to kill you, if I did.

[size=84] :cool:

[/size]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Medals?

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:43 pm

All: I guess I'll have to give myself a medal!! Most ofter disrespected? t

Aphrodite Mae

Responding to several posts...

Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:31 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:Hey, thanks, Aphrodite. I'll also claim my "succor to the vanquished" medal since I lost a game to Redeemer and posted an AAR.

I think he's fixin' to beat me again with a somewhat different set of house rules. So I'll get the oak leaf clusters or whatever it was...

Thanks again for taking the time to work all this out.

You're welcome! :) If you're defeated again, part of your succor is having a medal which is quite handsome, I think: you're eligible to wear the one with gold trim!
Aphrodite Mae wrote:[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

tc237 wrote:Hi,
I gathered up all of AM's medals and put them into a single Photoshop file as individual layers.
Hopefully it is a help to anyone making a rack using Photoshop, GIMP, etc...
Let me know if there is a problem with the files.

oh...If someone really, really, needs help to make a complicated rack let me know, I should be able to make it.
Please specific exactly what medals in which dignity.

By the way AM, in the US Army "dignity" is called precedence.

Thank you, tc237! :) What a wonderful contribution! :coeurs:

I call the precedence of my medals "dignity" to add a bit of flair! Plus, it kinda fits in with the whole "Knights of the OAK" thing. :)

Spharv2 wrote:I'll second both Banks and Soundoff for the same thing. [...]
Personally, I'd second all of them, because all of them have contributed greatly [...]

Very well! Congratulations to [color="DarkOrange"]Banks [/color]and [color="DarkOrange"]Soundoff[/color], in joining the ranks of the "Iron Tigers"! Gentlemen, I'll soon be sending each of you a PM to congratulate you, and tell you a bit more about the secrets of your elite fraternity. :)

DarthMath wrote:Once again, I lean forward the great kindness of Our Gracious Queen. I humbly accept Your precious gift and proudly wear it.

:D You're welcome!

Dixicrat wrote:[...]What you describe sounds to me to be clandestine. Something which silently appears here and there, only to quietly disappear again, as mysteriously as it came?
[...] It sounds as if you're describing some sort of "[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Commando[/size][/color]" medal!

:innocent: I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of this alleged "Commando" medal. :siffle:

[SIZE="1"]If I did, I'd have to... oh, never mind.[/size]

tagwyn wrote:All: I guess I'll have to give myself a medal!! Most ofter disrespected? t

Your humor made me grin, Tagwyn!
At least, at first.

But then, I began thinking about what's behind what you posted, and you know what? I felt sad. I felt sad, because there is truth in what you say.

I call all of you "gentlemen", but if you are disrespectful to someone, you're certainly not acting like one. You know this is true.

Folks, I consider Tag to be my friend, and a very loyal one, at that. I'm going to make an exception to my self-mandated rule of not making special medals for my personal friends. That's because Tag's contribution to this forum has been a unique one, and so I believe that a unique medal is in order! I promise all of you: this medal will be one that will make most of you grin and say "yeah!"; it will be something which Tagwyn will be proud to wear; and it will reflect Tag's unique contribution to our community.

Trust me on this one, gentlemen! :D

Hobbes

Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Dixicrat wrote:I will cast the deciding vote for the award, to Manstein.

This is because Manstein has never been defeated, in AACW.

If you read Spanish, his AARs are available on the Spanish forums. I can neither read, write, nor speak Spanish, but I have been told on good authority that all of his AARs have one thing in common: he always wins! :w00t:

Wow.
Be careful, gentlemen... we now have a Tiger in our midst! :thumbsup:

Hey, I have never been defeated in AACW PBEM either! Do I qualify for more medals? :neener:

Aphrodite Mae

Admonition to the Mighty

Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Hobbes wrote:Hey, I have never been defeated in AACW PBEM either! Do I qualify for more medals? :neener:

I have wonderful news, Sir Hobbes! All other obstacles have been overcome, and there remain only three more between you, and the "Iron Tiger" medal which you deserve! With your astonishing prowness in all things in which you have such prowness, surely these will require but a trifling effort, on your part.

They are simply this.

1) You must actually play your first PBEM game.
2) Secondly, you must play dozens more PBEM games, and win most of them, if not all. (A trifle, as I'm sure that you'll agree.)
3) Thirdly, your playing style must astonish the forum.

Your overwhelming victories need only be coupled with brilliantly incisive AARs, and the medal will be yours! :)

So: ride forth, brave Knight, to seek your destiny among those who also are seeking their destiny, too! Be bold, and brave, and strong, and you will find that you are imbued with intrepidity, and courage, and might!

Somedays, I can be truly inspiring!! :)
[SIZE="1"]
I don't think today is one of those days. [/size]

Hobbes

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:I have wonderful news, Sir Hobbes! All other obstacles have been overcome, and there remain only three more between you, and the "Iron Tiger" medal which you deserve! With your astonishing prowness in all things in which you have such prowness, surely these will require but a trifling effort, on your part.

They are simply this.

1) You must actually play your first PBEM game.
2) Secondly, you must play dozens more PBEM games, and win most of them, if not all. (A trifle, as I'm sure that you'll agree.)
3) Thirdly, your playing style must astonish the forum.

Your overwhelming victories need only be coupled with brilliantly incisive AARs, and the medal will be yours! :)

So: ride forth, brave Knight, to seek your destiny among those who also are seeking their destiny, too! Be bold, and brave, and strong, and you will find that you are imbued with intrepidity, and courage, and might!

Somedays, I can be truly inspiring!! :)
[SIZE="1"]
I don't think today is one of those days. [/size]

Hmm, for one I have played and won two as both sides - against a Spec Ops guy.
For two - dozens more - a special ops man will never have the time!
For three, my brave amphibious assault into Garysburg to cut off Confederate supply and lines of retreat just
before winter must surely be held up as one of the masterstokes of AACW gameplay.

Now where are those old files?

Mickey3D

Commendation medal nomination proposal

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:40 pm

I would like to propose for nomination to the commendation medal both gentlemen Vegetius and Crisofire-Ice.

In the French Grand Campaign these valorious officers managed to repel a huge confederate force (three corps under Lee command, power around 7'500) trying to capture Washington DC and then planned a daring move with Hooker that allow the Union to seize Fredericksburg and cut Jackson and Magruder corps from their supply source in Richmond (see attachment).
Attachments
Nomination.jpg
Nomination.jpg (204.39 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"We here highly resolve that [...] government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
[/CENTER]

Mickey3D

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:05 pm

In the French Grand Campaign two players (Tyrex and Vegetius) keep a hilarious chronicle. They take the strongly biased point of view of northern reporters of war, depicting the main events of the campaign with vivid and funny newspaper articles.

Unfortunately the chronicle is only in french nevertheless I would like to nominate them for a well deserved medal but I don't know which one fit the best as it's not a true AAR ?
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"We here highly resolve that [...] government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

[/CENTER]

Manstein
Brigadier General

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:20 pm

Dixicrat wrote:I will cast the deciding vote for the award, to Manstein.

This is because Manstein has never been defeated, in AACW.

If you read Spanish, his AARs are available on the Spanish forums. I can neither read, write, nor speak Spanish, but I have been told on good authority that all of his AARs have one thing in common: he always wins! :w00t:

Wow.
Be careful, gentlemen... we now have a Tiger in our midst! :thumbsup:

I´m very embarrased about the great honour that as Aphrodite as Dixicrat awarded to me the most important medal and I don´t know if I can be deserver for it.

If we really think that I deserve this great honour, then I will place this medal to my collection.

MarkShot

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:07 pm

Excuse me, Miss Scarlett,

Given that you are real Southern Belle and this is the ACW, why aren't you actually embroidering regimental colors for these fine lads? I mean aren't medals for ballrooms and high society, but on the field of battle wasn't it the colors upon which the boys rallied?

Well, I hope you don't mind me asking. Knight away.

Side Note: One of the things I like about the old SMG (Sid Meier's Gettysburg) was watching the evolution of your colors as you won and lost battles. Each battle name would be embroidered upon the flag, and the flag would turn up tattered and worn if you got your butt kicked. Also, the game did a good job of weaving reenactor cut scenes into the the story line.

Aphrodite Mae

Responding to several posts...

Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Mickey3D wrote:I would like to propose for nomination to the commendation medal both gentlemen Vegetius and Crisofire-Ice.

In the French Grand Campaign these valorious officers managed to repel a huge confederate force (three corps under Lee command, power around 7'500) trying to capture Washington DC and then planned a daring move with Hooker that allow the Union to seize Fredericksburg and cut Jackson and Magruder corps from their supply source in Richmond (see attachment).

Wonderful! Thank you so much for your nominations, Mickey3D! Your citation is excellent!

Gentlemen of the OAK, I'm happy to announce that we have added an instructive example for all to learn from, with the citation for these awards! :)

Congratulations to Vegetius and Cristofire-Ice for tactical excellence! Mickey3D, I do not personally know these gentlemen, and so I don't know whether they're fluent in English, or not. If they are not, might I be so presumptuous as to ask that you help them to understand the symbolic meaning of the medal's colors and placement and so forth?
And please convey my congratulations to these gentlemen, for their award! :)

Mickey3D wrote:In the French Grand Campaign two players (Tyrex and Vegetius) keep a hilarious chronicle. They take the strongly biased point of view of northern reporters of war, depicting the main events of the campaign with vivid and funny newspaper articles.

Unfortunately the chronicle is only in french nevertheless I would like to nominate them for a well deserved medal but I don't know which one fit the best as it's not a true AAR ?

Oh, I do so wish that I could read this chronicle! :)
They have provided a delightful service to the forums with their humor, and I think that it is wonderful, that their articles are about what's happening in the GC! May I suggest the "Service" award! :)

Congratulations to Tyrexand Vegetius for their hilarious "newspaper" commentaries! Delightful, gentlemen! :)

Manstein wrote:I´m very embarrased about the great honour that as Aphrodite as Dixicrat awarded to me the most important medal and I don´t know if I can be deserver for it.

If we really think that I deserve this great honour, then I will place this medal to my collection.

Oh, please do, Manstein! It is my honor to congratulate you for this award which recognizes you for your formidible playing strength!

Gentlemen of the OAK, it is time for me to reveal one of the secrets of the "Iron Tigers". It is this: any "Iron Tiger" may award this prestigious medal to another player, without a need for seconding. After all, who among us knows what it is to be a truly strong player, better than our Iron Tigers? For this reason, I have granted this power to members of this elite group.

Gentlemen of the OAK, Manstein has selected Corgonas to join him, as an Iron Tiger. Manstein, I respectfully request that you convey my deep respect and heart-felt congratulations to Corgonas! :)

MarkShot wrote:[...] why aren't you actually embroidering regimental colors for these fine lads? I mean aren't medals for ballrooms and high society, but on the field of battle wasn't it the colors upon which the boys rallied? [...]

A lovely idea, indeed! But here, it seems to me that the men rally around inspiring AARs! :) For now, at least, those will have to serve.

MarkShot

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:22 am

Actually, it looks more like the men are rallying around their Queen.

Why do I have images of a vivacious Queen sitting on the lawn encircled by many young Beaus?

Well, don't get too carried away with Queens and royalty. It is afterall a French company and you do remember how the French ended their love affair with their last Queen? Especially be careful if anyone named Philippe offers you some cake ... could be a trap. (just joking)

---

Regimental colors ... it could be done. First you would have to organize the lads into different regional units and then perhaps start a PBEM tournament by region. Ultimately the two top regional players from the USA and CSA would play (like the knights of old) to resolve the issue of seccession/rebellion.

Of course, there is the problem of which side and state would get the lads who reside outside the USA and/or in states that had yet to come into existence at the time the ACW broke out.

Vegetius
General

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 am

Glorious Queen of the forum,

i am so honored to become one of your Knights that words are not enough to thank you !
I promise to be faithful to the spirit of those prestigious rewards.

And many thanks to my friend Mickey, who highly contributes to the AACW improvement by his contribution in the french and english forums.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

Tagwyn's Medal!

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:26 pm

tagwyn wrote:All: I guess I'll have to give myself a medal!! Most ofter disrespected? t

Aphrodite Mae wrote:[...]Your humor made me grin, Tagwyn!
At least, at first.

But then, I began thinking about what's behind what you posted, and you know what? I felt sad. I felt sad, because there is truth in what you say.

I'm going to make an exception to my self-mandated rule of not making special medals for my personal friends. That's because Tag's contribution to this forum has been a unique one, and so I believe that a unique medal is in order! I promise all of you: this medal will be one that will make most of you grin and say "yeah!"; it will be something which Tagwyn will be proud to wear; and it will reflect Tag's unique contribution to our community.

Trust me on this one, gentlemen! :D

Let's get straight to business, shall we?

To be awarded this medal, you must be Tagwyn.

I hope that the rest of you who aren't Tagwyn will stick around, because this is an unusual medal, to say the least. To begin with, this has been the most difficult medal to design, yet.

You already know that each of my medals tells the story of what it means, if you know what to look for. A color, its width, and where that color is displayed on the medal are all things that have a meaning. Furthermore, I've kinda been hoping that all of that symbolism will give a whole bunch of depth to what you've accomplished, if you've been awarded a medal.

Kinda make you think about it.
Be proud of it.
Maybe make you think of how to learn from your mistakes, and do what you've done, even better, next time!

[SIZE="1"]Can you tell I'm a mom?[/size]

So this medal has been tough. I want it to be perfect, and I want it to say what I want it to say, in a way that doesn't need words. Isn't that what's expected of a true Southern Belle? :)

[SIZE="1"]@ MarkShot: I hope you're taking notes.[/size]

Anyway, the first thing that I want to say is that this medal has a lot of stuff that's obvious, and a lot of stuff that isn't.
Kinda like its awardee.
Take a look, and see what you think.

The rest of this post is all about explaining the symbolism of the medal and all that, so if that kind of stuff doesn't interest you... the show's over, folks! You can go ahead and move on.

The base color of the medal is "Commission Paper White". That's because Tagwyn became an officer, a long time ago. In the middle of the medal is a broad black stripe. That's Tagwyn.

Black is the color of the elite. From my perspective, the "elite" among us are those people who have made lasting contributions to the games of AGEod. Volunteer efforts made for either the love of the game, the love of the company, or both. Go ahead and take a look at Tag's record. He's alumnus, of Betas, for development of a game. That deserves respect, folks.

But I've chosen black as the "central pillar" for another reason, too.
It's the main reason, really.

OK:
It's a trite cliche of every war movie that you've ever seen: our heroes are crossing a street in the middle of a village, when suddenly one of them collapses.

"What the...?! ...Where'd that come from?!"

The Sniper!

There usually follows a lot of slow motion stuff with sad opera music playing while everybody's dying in slow motion and everything, but I'll gladly skip all of that stuff so that we can get to the point, OK?

Tag is our forum sniper.

Think about it.

"What the...?! ...Where'd that come from?!"

:D

But: have you ever considered that his non sequiter post may be something other than what they appear to be?

There was once a Greek philosopher who carried a lamp in broad daylight, looking for "an honest man". Everybody thought he was crazy. Nothing he said made sense! Unkempt and disheveled, he lived in a box near the gates of the city where he dwelled. For some reason, he had a lot of visitors.

Kings. Philosophers. Those kind of people. All of them shared one thing in common: they always came out of the box after a visit slightly wiser, and grinning.

Interesting Tagwyn fact: part of his email address is the name of that philosopher! Even more fascinating: that email address is older than this website! [SIZE="1"]But let's not jump to any conclusions, OK?[/size]

Anyway, we have a sniper among us, so beware! ;)

Flanking the centrality of "the sniper" are bands of "elephant gray". That's because Tag is a veteran of these forums. He's been here for a really long time, and so he's "seen the elephant". :)

Out on the flanks of the medal, there are red and gold bands that I'm hoping will make you think of the "Gallantry" medal. That's because Taywyn is gallant. He is a staunch defender of the people who he gives his loyalty to. There are two "Gallantry" bands. One symbolizes Tag's friends, and the other symbolizes our community. Tag defends both, with no thought for himself. If Tag sniffs the faintest whiff of "threat", I'm tellin' you, it just isn't pretty! Think "Extremely Annoyed Rottweiler", and you'll have the beginning of a clue!

:D

Maybe you've noticed that flanking the "Gallantry" bands are what appears to be two blue bands. Actually, there are threads of purple which run down the middle of each. Each blue band is the color of the "Valor" medal. And maybe you'll remember that purple is the color of "pain".

Tag has taken a lot of abuse from people on these forums (the purple thread), and yet he sticks around. (The blue of valor!) Maybe it hurt his feelings when people have said unkind things to him... but you'd never know it. Tag's tough, and so that's why there is only a single thread of purple.

In this way, he sets an example for us all. For his tenacity, for his toughness, for his gallantry, and for his unique contributions to our community, I have created this medal, the "Tagwyn Sniper Medal"!

Congratulations, Larry! We might be exasperated with you sometimes, but I, for one, am honored to call you my friend! :)

And to all, I say:
Respect his medal. Respect the man. There's more to him, than you know. :)

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"][CENTER]Aphrodite Mae chats with Diogenes[/CENTER][/size]

[SIZE="2"]Diogenes of Sinope[/size]
Attachments
Aphrodite Mae chats with Diogenes.jpg
Aphrodite Mae chats with Diogenes.jpg (24.94 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
Tagwyn's Sniper Medal.png
Tagwyn's Sniper Medal.png (915 Bytes) Viewed 4393 times

MarkShot

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:22 pm

AM,

I often wonder what would have become of you if AGEOD had released its product line up in a different order?

I saw an hour special once on the NGC that explained how the Southern Belle occupies an extremely tight ecological niche. The Southern Belle requires a very narrow range of temperature, rainfall, and fair winds to flourish. It is no accident that they are not found in the damp and gloomy climates of the Pacific North West or the temperate climate of the North East. Urban sprawl for years has been encroaching on their breeding grounds and each year the population shrinks.

So, I feel very fortunate that Phil and Pocus exhibited great wisdom after giving us their first game that brought us Lafayette to save us from tyranny that their second work would create a safe haven and habitat for one our greatest national treasures, the Southern Belle.

I only wish I had the talent to Photoshop for I would like to award Phil and Pocus:

LA CLE DE DIXIE (pour Le Grande Travail de sauver nos Belles du Sud).

I feel an advertising slogan coming on: "AGEOD not only preserving history past, but ensuring that history lives on!"

---

Sorry, I know this is about AACW PBEMer medals, but sometime you just have to step back and see the big picture.

Carry on!

Dixicrat
General

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:16 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:The "Cadre Service" medal is awarded to those people who have done one of the following:
1) developed a reputation of consistently presenting exceptional AARs, or
2) presented helpful analysis or research which has been widely acknowledged as excellent, or
3) performed some service to the forum which has made a significant impact.

Here is the medal. :)

On the medal, the gray of obscurity has been partially overcome by the white of "broad acclaim": most of the forum knows who you are, and they are beginning to expect great things from you! :) With this medal, notice that your honor (red with gold) has grown broader, and the medal is no longer "simple". The implication is this: with this medal comes responsibility.

Finally, notice that the blue has become broader, and that the silver thread has become fine gold braid. Blue is broader, because blue symbolizes dedication. Gold braid represents the honor that you bring upon yourself, because (paradoxically enough) of your selfless dedication. :)

Gentlemen, the "Tagwyn" medal took me by surprise. I knew that she was working on the medal, but the last time I saw it on her computer, it looked very different than what she attached to the post.

I read the post, and I felt the strangest mixture of emotions. I was amused, and thoughtful, and touched, and inspired, and... so many things that verge upon the ineffable.

To my wife: you say that I am an inspiring example of leadership?! There's great irony in you saying that to me, I think.

To the forum: I nominate Aphrodite Mae for the "Cadre" medal. The third of the possible qualifying criteria is "...performed some service to the forum which has made a significant impact", and I would say that her brilliant concept of this thread has more than been sufficient to meet this requirement. More than just the concept, it's been the way that she has done this: with humor, with wisdom, and so many other qualities that are admirable.

Oops. I just remembered the "nepotism" issue. So I withdraw my nomination, to avoid any possible charge of "vested interest". :)

But surely, there are those among you gentlemen who agree with every word I've said. I'll leave it to you to nominate her, in my stead.

[CENTER]Long live the Queen!
:thumbsup:

[/CENTER]

DarthMath
Colonel

Cadre Service Medal Recommendation

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:30 am

As the first to see your post before a well deserved sleep :) (it's 1:30 AM here), I support Dixicrat recommandation for the Cadre Service Medal to Our Noble Queen for all of her remarquable works and her huge and constant efforts to maintain good harmony and cheerfulness among the forumites.
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:33 am

deleted

Rafiki

Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:44 am

This is great stuff :D

Is there an overview somewhere of the various medals and recipients?

Oh, and +1 for the "Cadre Service Medal" for the Southern Belle :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 am

+1 cadre service metal for the Queen :)
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

Aphrodite Mae

Thank you, Gentlemen!

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Thank you, gentlemen, for this prestigious honor! :fleurs:
This has been great fun, so far! Surely, your reward is more than I deserve!

[SIZE="1"]But I'll wear it anyway, just in case I'm wrong, OK?[/size] :happyrun:

Aphrodite Mae

List of Awardees as of April 7th, 2009

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Rafiki wrote:[...]
Is there an overview somewhere of the various medals and recipients?
[...]

Actually, Rebelcat has been patiently waiting for me to provide him with a list of medal recipients, so that he can update his elegant plaque. I've been so busy with correspondence and designing medals and so forth that I just haven't had the time. Even so, I've made time today. Here is a summary of our heroes! :)

[SIZE="4"]Service Medals[/size]

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Distinguished Developer Medal[/font][/size]
PhilThib, Pocus

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Distinguished AACW Coordinator Medal[/font][/size]
Gray Lensman

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Distinguished Service Medal[/font][/size]
Aryaman, Bigus, Clovis, Rafiki

Additionally, the following persons are awarded the DSM for their contributions in creating the original AACW:
Aldertag, Arsan, Berto, DGold, FrankE, IronBrigade Yankee, Hobbes, jhdeerslayer, Jabberwock, Marecone, MarkShot, Runyan99, Sandra, Sunray, and PDF.

Some are no longer with us; but we honor them all the same, for helping to bring us this great game!

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Cadre Medal[/font][/size]
Aphrodite Mae*, B.Schulte, Daxil, Dixicrat, Hobbes, Major Tom, Runyan99

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Service Commendation Medal[/font][/size]
Jarkko

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]Service Medal[/size][/font]
Aphrodite Mae (rescinded), DarthMath, DoctorKing, Injun, OldSpec4, Tyrex, Vegetius

Additionally, the following persons are awarded the Service Medal for hosting games in the tournament. If I've overlooked someone, please let me know!
:)

Benway9, Bertram, Coffee Sergeant, Daxil, Kjstrand, pkpowers, and Yellowhammer.

[SIZE="4"]Battlefield Medals[/size]

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]The “Iron Tiger”[/font][/size]
Corgonas, Banks6060, Manstein, Soundoff

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]Valor[/size][/font]
Yellowhammer

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]Command[/size][/font]
Banks*, Dixicrat, Soundoff*

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Commendation Medal[/font][/size]
Banks (rescinded), Soundoff (rescinded), Vegitius, Cristofire-Ice, Yellowhammer

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Gallantry[/font][/size]
CoffeeSGT, Jabberwock, Mastein

[SIZE="4"]Duty Medals[/size]

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]The “Stuffed Tiger”[/font][/size]
Hobbes

[SIZE="3"][font="Times New Roman"]"Médaille de un mille" (or “Small Stuffed Tiger”)[/font][/size]
LeRicain, Runyan99, Spharv2

Note: People in this list who have “rescinded” by their name are persons whose medal has been replaced by a higher award. In other words, "upgraded"! :)

For example, I was originally awarded the “Service” medal for starting this thread; but that award has been upgraded to the “Cadre” award. So: I now display the “Cadre” award in place of the original “Service” medal.

An asterisk by a name shows the higher award that replaces the rescinded medal.

Soon, I'll create a little document that will kinda summarize all of the medals: what they're about, and what it takes to be awarded one.

Aphrodite Mae

An error of omission

Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:40 pm

When I was preparing the "List of Awardees" the other day, I overlooked some people. That's unfortunate. What makes it even more unfortunate is that the people who were left out, were left out from the list of "Distinguished Service Medal" recipients! That's one of the most prestigious medals of all! And what makes it worst of all, (at least for me), is that two of the people who I left off are friends of mine!

So: let me fix things by adding some names to the list, OK?

The following people are awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, for their contributions in creating the original AACW:

Barney, Chris0827, Flintlock, Frank7350, HP Schmidt, Korrigan, Le Ricain, Primasprit, Reyric, RickD79, Robin, Seminole, Spharv2, Vlad, and vonKraus.

As I said earlier, some of these gentlemen are no longer with us; but even so, we honor them for what they have done. Congratulations, gentlemen! You were a part of the team which created the greatest Civil War Grand Strategy Game, ever. :)

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Dixicrat
General

An AAR contest, with a prize!

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:28 pm

BSchulte is having a contest involving AARs! (After Action Reports).
Here's the link: After Action Report Contest: Win a Free Game!

Aphrodite Mae will soon be posting medals which can be earned by playing PBEM and posting AARs... so here's your chance to qualify for a medal, possibly win a prize, and support a cool endeavor by one of our "virtual brothers in arms"! :)

Great idea, BSchulte! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Yep, it was a great idea! Too bad that it ended a year ago! :bonk:
Sorry, folks: I saw "end of April", and... well, I'm sure you can figure out what happened. Thanks for pointing out my error, TC237. :)
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]
Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

Spharv2

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Thanks for the honor ma'am. I'll wear it with pride. Considering giving PBEM another go too, so I look forward to adding one of those nifty Succor medals soon enough. :)
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tc237
Colonel

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Dixicrat wrote:BSchulte is having a contest involving AARs! (After Action Reports).
Here's the link: After Action Report Contest: Win a Free Game!

Aphrodite Mae will soon be posting medals which can be earned by playing PBEM and posting AARs... so here's your chance to qualify for a medal, possibly win a prize, and support a cool endeavor by one of our "virtual brothers in arms"! :)

Great idea, BSchulte! :thumbsup:

That was a year ago.
IIRC the contest is over and the game was awarded.
http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/wargaming-contests/march-24-2008-after-action-reports-contest/
http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/2008/05/05/the-winner-of-the-march-2008-after-action-report-contest-is/

Dixicrat
General

Correction

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:40 pm

I stand corrected, and I've edited my original post on the topic, accordingly.

I still think it was a great idea, though. Maybe someone will do it again, soon! :)
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]

Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

Return to “General discussions”