Adlertag

Happy Birthday...

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:37 pm

We are celebrating the 120th anniversary of the Eiffel Tower today (March 31st).
Still in good shape but she will get another makeover during 20 months. For sure the nearly 7 millions visitors a year are pleased.
Future VGN players also, no doubt ... :hat:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090331/lf_afp/lifestylefrancetraveltourism_20090331163744
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Aphrodite Mae

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:07 pm

Hooray, for the Eiffel Tower! :)

For many Americans, the Eiffel Tower is the icon of France! When I was a little girl, I simply thought that it looked graceful, and pretty. But as an adult, the tower has taken on a greater significance to me. Of course, within my mind's eye, I think of Paris and it's beauty. But beyond that, I consider the majestic way in which the structure literally towers over all that surrounds it, and how this can be seen as a symbol of how French culture and history has such a towering reputation throughout the world.

High Fashion? Look to France. Haute Cuisine? The very words are French. Chivalry and Diplomacy draw much of their vocabulary from French. Even the vocabulary of the world's military draws much from France: who has not heard of Esprit de Corps, or Elan? The list goes on.

For me at least, the Eiffel tower is a fitting symbol of the towering influence of French culture. How apropos that it is elegant, and graceful! :)

I'm proud that I can number French men, among my friends! And I'm delighted to reap the benefits of so much of what France has given to the world. Thanks, France!

Viva la France! :gardavou:

YAAAAAY! :p ompom:

[SIZE="1"]To my French friends: Please excuse me, if I have mispelled any of the words of your beautiful language, or used improper gender in any of my posts. I ask that you read my intent, and overlook my ignorance.[/size]

DarthMath
Colonel

Thank you AM !!

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:54 pm

At least, there is one American in the whole world who loves our beautiful country (even if I think Eiffel Tower isn't the most beautiful thing our ancestors have made). Maybe we can see in it the beginning of Ageod's ACW influence on American people !! :thumbsup:
;)
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Le Ricain

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 pm

The Eiffel Tower has not always been popular with the Parisians. Remember it was the author Guy de Maupassant who ate his lunch every day at the Eiffel Tower restaurant as this was the one place in Paris where the Tower could not be seen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

TiFlo
Captain

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm

Wow, Aphrodite, talk about a declaration of love!

I would have returned the favour, but I somehow don't really feel the Statue of Liberty can be praised as American... :D

@ Le Ricain
I didn't know that one about Maupassant. Great find! :thumbsup:
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Le Ricain

Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:09 am

TiFlo wrote:Wow, Aphrodite, talk about a declaration of love!

I would have returned the favour, but I somehow don't really feel the Statue of Liberty can be praised as American... :D

@ Le Ricain
I didn't know that one about Maupassant. Great find! :thumbsup:

Thanks.

For the Statue of Liberty, the stone base is American.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Aphrodite Mae

Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:21 am

Le Ricain wrote:Thanks.

For the Statue of Liberty, the stone base is American.

Hmmm...

There's some kind of deeeeep symbolism here, but I just... can't... quite...

:tournepas

Le Ricain

Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:35 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Hmmm...

You are exactly right
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

TiFlo
Captain

Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:57 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Hmmm...

You wouldn't, would you? :D
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Adlertag

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Hooray, for the Eiffel Tower! :)

For many Americans, the Eiffel Tower is the icon of France! When I was a little girl, I simply thought that it looked graceful, and pretty. But as an adult, the tower has taken on a greater significance to me. Of course, within my mind's eye, I think of Paris and it's beauty. But beyond that, I consider the majestic way in which the structure literally towers over all that surrounds it, and how this can be seen as a symbol of how French culture and history has such a towering reputation throughout the world.

High Fashion? Look to France. Haute Cuisine? The very words are French. Chivalry and Diplomacy draw much of their vocabulary from French. Even the vocabulary of the world's military draws much from France: who has not heard of Esprit de Corps, or Elan? The list goes on.

For me at least, the Eiffel tower is a fitting symbol of the towering influence of French culture. How apropos that it is elegant, and graceful! :)

I'm proud that I can number French men, among my friends! And I'm delighted to reap the benefits of so much of what France has given to the world. Thanks, France!

Viva la France! :gardavou:

YAAAAAY! :p ompom:

[SIZE="1"]To my French friends: Please excuse me, if I have mispelled any of the words of your beautiful language, or used improper gender in any of my posts. I ask that you read my intent, and overlook my ignorance.[/size]

Thank you for your kind words about France, Aphrodite Mae; you deserved the "Médaille de la courtoisie et du savoir-vivre". :)

Adlertag

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 am

Adlertag wrote:Thank you for your kind words about France, Aphrodite Mae; you deserved the "Médaille de la courtoisie et du savoir-vivre". :)

So, nobody skillful in medal minting wants to make this medal for her ? I mean, except the recipient herself.

Aphrodite Mae

Thank you, Adlertag!

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Adlertag wrote:So, nobody skillful in medal minting wants to make this medal for her ? I mean, except the recipient herself.

You're so sweet, Adlertag! What a nice, thoughtful gesture! ...But you know what? Your gallant nomination of me for such a lovely medal is enough. I already wear it proudly, in my heart! :coeurs:
Aphrodite Mae

Adlertag

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:17 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:You're so sweet, Adlertag! What a nice, thoughtful gesture! ...But you know what? Your gallant nomination of me for such a lovely medal is enough. I already wear it proudly, in my heart! :coeurs:

I'm honored, Madame.

So I would apply to me David Hume's quote (a man I really like) :
"Truth springs from argument amongst friends."

Return to “General discussions”