heathrf1974
Civilian

Vista and Strategy First

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:52 am

I downloaded GI yesterday and installed DirectX 9.0 and DivX Codec as instructed, however, the game will not start and a message appears 'GI.exe has stopped working'. I do have Vista. Could you help? I purchased the game through strategy first, do you know if I am able to get a refund if this problem can't be solved?
Thanks.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:23 am

deleted

arsan

Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 am

Gray,
Have you noticed this is a Great Invasions thread? :bonk:
On this thread
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4394
Its stated that the game its not supposed to work on Vista (but i have read reports that it works sometimes).
The problem is that i'm not sure the SF version the thread author has is the updated one being sold by AGOED or the older one.
SO i don't know if the AGEOD refunds policy should apply here or not :blink:
Surely Calvinus or PhliThib will know.
Cheers!

Gray_Lensman

Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:44 am

deleted

Primasprit

Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:54 am

I tested GI on Vista64 where it worked without any issues. (Well, I am aware that this doesn't help to solve the problem... :bonk :)
It might help to set Vista to a compatibility mode for the game via right-click on the game icon --> properties.

The problem is that i'm not sure the SF version the thread author has is the updated one being sold by AGOED or the older one.
The Strategy First version is an older one.

SO i don't know if the AGEOD refunds policy should apply here or not.
Hardly, as the game was not sold by AGEOD. :non:
Strategy first would be the ones to ask for a refund.

Surely Calvinus or PhliThib will know.
Indeed, they know everything! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Norbert

heathrf1974
Civilian

DirectX 9.0 not installed properly

Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:30 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:See this thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=10912

In particular, check out Post #9 and follow the link it points to. Vista seems to not like XP programs that install into "Program Files".

If this chain of threads confuses you, come back and let me know. I'm trying to avold multiple posts on the same solution.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help, however, my previous message is incorrect. DirectX 9.0 is not installed properly. I've downloaded all the files for installing DirectX 9.0 (from the GI folder in C: drive) into a separate personal folder as it does not specify a folder. Then I extract these files (cabinets) into another separate personal folder as it does not specify a folder again. Then I click on dxdllreg.exe which is an application file and nothing happens. I also click on other application files such as dxdiag.exe and a message appears 'the procedure entry point OpenVxDHandle could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll'. Could you give me any advice on how to properly install DirectX 9.0.
Thanks.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:17 am

deleted

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:32 am

I run the latest version of the game fine on Vista 32, Home Premium edition, with DirectX 10.

Make sure you get the latest version with the update, and turn off the Vista Aero. Many older games will not work with Aero on.

PhilThib

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:43 am

We sent you a private message here ;)

heathrf1974
Civilian

Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:32 am

PhilThib wrote:We sent you a private message here ;)

I don't know where my private msg is. Sorry
:blink:

Lafrite

Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:48 am

On your right at the top of the page forum :cool:

lodilefty

DirectX9 and Vista

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:02 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Since, I don't actually have the Vista operating system, I honestly don't have any experience in trying to install DirectX 9.0 into that operating system. It could be that Lodilefty just might have some experience with this issue, since he's the beta/coordinator who recently acquired a new laptop with the Vista operating system preinstalled and had the knowledge to understand the "Program Files" issue. It's possible (no promises) that he has installed DirectX 9.0 onto his new laptop also.

edit> Give it a while, he will probably see this thread and give a response. (Me and him tend to keep up with each other's posts).

I installed directly from the Microsoft site. Assorted info on the web cautions against any other method for DX9, particularly with Vista...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

heathrf1974
Civilian

Failed download

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:12 am

lodilefty wrote:I installed directly from the Microsoft site. Assorted info on the web cautions against any other method for DX9, particularly with Vista...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

I did this and it stated the setup could not download the file due to internet connection

lodilefty

Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm not a Vista expert, but it sounds like your Firewall needs to be told to allow the download.

Also, if you aren't running as the 'administrator', you may be disallowed...

I also turned off the 'User Account Control', which may also be 'in the way'
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Return to “Great Invasions”