vidzm7
Conscript

New Player

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi

I just bought a downloaded version of Great Invasions II. I am lost - and frankly the manual does not help.

Am I correct in assuming that there is no turn key icon - and that the games evolves as time moves on.

How do you create new armies? how do you build fortresses? etc. From what icons?

Am lost. Basic direction would greatly help. Looking forward to some samaritarian.

Vidzm7

PhilThib

Info

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Have you checked the game website ? There is plenty of information over there... http://www.great-invasions.fr/int-en/index.php?Location=Inside

:cool:

vidzm7
Conscript

further to

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:45 pm

I did check the website - and went through the manual. To be honest - both are bull. They are descriptive. What a new entrant to the game needs is basic orientation to the key commands and aspects of a game. The description is fine ... but takes me nowhere.

How does time change? The manual and the website says nothing. i increased the time to the maximum possible - which apparently is average - yet time does not change. After 30 minutes of trying to understand what is happening the time remained the same: 17th January 350.

And by the way - the mouse is a killer. You have no control - it shots all over the place. I have tried to reduce its speed through the control window of XP: but no impact. Cursor keys are the only way to get some semblance of control - and enjoy the game: if you understand it. Surely you can create a speed control for the mouse: all games do this.

So - help: So far this has been a waste of time and money.

Vidzm7

calvinus

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:24 pm

vidzm7 wrote:How does time change? The manual and the website says nothing. i increased the time to the maximum possible - which apparently is average - yet time does not change. After 30 minutes of trying to understand what is happening the time remained the same: 17th January 350.

The game is probably in "pause" mode. You have to hit the 'pause' key on the keyboard in order to toggle the pause mode.

vidzm7 wrote:And by the way - the mouse is a killer. You have no control - it shots all over the place. I have tried to reduce its speed through the control window of XP: but no impact. Cursor keys are the only way to get some semblance of control - and enjoy the game: if you understand it. Surely you can create a speed control for the mouse: all games do this.

You can adjust the sensibility of the mouse cursor by tweaking the following parameter:

MouseMapScrollFrequency=100

This parameter can be found inside the GI.ini file (located in the game folder). Double-click on the file and edit the parameter. A value equal to 100 should be enough. The more this value is set, the slower the mouse should be... at least so I remember. :wacko:

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Go to the Great Invasions folder and there you will find setup.exe. click on that, and you can set various parameters. I have 'map scroll speed' set to 500 and it works well for me. I like a slow map movement.

I feel your pain, about how to get started. Familiarize yourself with the map modes - the four icons on the lower right, corresponding to the F1 through F4 keys. In the various modes, click on the map itself, the provinces, the armies, cities, etc., to see what information you get.

Within each map mode, there are views which change when you hit the tab key, or hit the little icons on the bottom left.

Get used to the various map modes and view. Forget about playing the game for a bit. Just focus on the mechanics.

As mentioned above, control the pace of the game with the pause key. If time is not advancing, you should see the word 'paused' on the screen also. Hit the pause key again to unpause. use the + and - icons to change the speed of time. The game also pauses on some popups.

This is a pretty complex game. Take it slowly and get used to it before getting frustrated.

vidzm7
Conscript

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:28 am

thanks

Return to “Great Invasions”