GrudgeBringer
Captain

Weird questions SOMEONE should know the answers to

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:53 pm

I have seen SOME reference to these questions but its always "I am not sure about the exact amount" or "I THINK this is how its done" ect.

These questions arn't exactly game breaking but they do enter into the game frequently.

If you know the answer to one or all PLEASE help us out here.

If you have any other weird questions.... ask away. Maybe we can make this a reference for hard to answer stuff.

1. Setting an ambush
I know HOW to do it but I 'think' I read somewhere that only Rangers could do this. Is that Texas Rangers, and if so there isn't ANY other units that can set an ambush?

2. Chasing a Raider or enemy Cavalry behind your lines:
It says to just drag and drop your unit on the offending little bugger.
I tried that with a Cav unit (as CSA) and it didn't chase (or for that matter DO anything).
Did I miss something else I was supposed to do? Like 'Lock in' on the unit or something, and can ONLY Cavalry chase the units (I know normally thats all you would use, just asking).

3. I went back thru the manual, Wiki, and the posts on here about START UP COSTS for Divisions, Corps, and & Armies and can't find anything definite on this.

I know the costs are deducted AFTER you end your turn and you could be caught short on the costs and so your efforts are in vein, hence the questions.

Qustions are:
1. Do All 3 have startup costs and if you screw it up and have to take the command away (same time in the same turn) and do it agian does it charge you twice?

2. Exactly HOW MUCH are the startup costs for each category (there been times that I have like 18 War supply left ( alot sometimes as CSA) and I won't do anything because I don't know how much I need for startup costs.

3. I am pretty sure that ALL Divisions ect have the SAME costs no matter who is commanding them, example: Stonewall Jackson Vs Bushrod Johnson (what GREAT names). Is this true and is it the same for Corps and Armies IF they have startup costs?

I ask these questions because I Plan (make that HOPE) to be able to play a human someday and these little questions can be the turning point over the long run.

Thanks guys as Usual!!!
The Good General looks to Win and then to Battle while the Poor General looks to Battle and Hopes to win.

Sun Tzu

DirkX
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:29 am

GrudgeBringer wrote:I have seen SOME reference to these questions but its always "I am not sure about the exact amount" or "I THINK this is how its done" ect.

These questions arn't exactly game breaking but they do enter into the game frequently.

If you have any other weird questions.... ask away. Maybe we can make this a reference for hard to answer stuff.

1. Setting an ambush
I know HOW to do it but I 'think' I read somewhere that only Rangers could do this. Is that Texas Rangers, and if so there isn't ANY other units that can set an ambush?

I tried that with a Cav unit (as CSA) and it didn't chase (or for that matter DO anything).
Did I miss something else I was supposed to do? Like 'Lock in' on the unit or something, and can ONLY Cavalry chase the units (I know normally thats all you would use, just asking).

3. I went back thru the manual, Wiki, and the posts on here about START UP COSTS for Divisions, Corps, and & Armies and can't find anything definite on this.

I know the costs are deducted AFTER you end your turn and you could be caught short on the costs and so your efforts are in vein, hence the questions.

Qustions are:
1. Do All 3 have startup costs and if you screw it up and have to take the command away (same time in the same turn) and do it agian does it charge you twice?

2. Exactly HOW MUCH are the startup costs for each category (there been times that I have like 18 War supply left ( alot sometimes as CSA) and I won't do anything because I don't know how much I need for startup costs.

3. I am pretty sure that ALL Divisions ect have the SAME costs no matter who is commanding them, example: Stonewall Jackson Vs Bushrod Johnson (what GREAT names). Is this true and is it the same for Corps and Armies IF they have startup costs?

I ask these questions because I Plan (make that HOPE) to be able to play a human someday and these little questions can be the turning point over the long run.

Thanks guys as Usual!!!

1) irregulars can ambush (thats also sharpshooters, partisans,indians)
but honestly an ambush isnt really worthwilw ^^ your troops usualy get destroyed and rangers and indians have ohter "jobs" than fighting.

2) yes you drag and drop, make sure you got the message (top of the screen), this however does NOT mean your unit will find the enemy unit all the time.
you have to take into account stuff like evasion/hide stats and that the target is moving around (usually), its not easy to intercept enemy cavalry, the more units you place into your "police "unit the better though.

3) dont have the costs in my mind but the "form division symbol" is also a tooltip which shows the cost (and also the amount of divisions in duty)

its something like 10 money 5 conscripts 10 war supply (affected by inflation)
no costs for corps, no extra costs for armies (besides that you have to built the HQ unit)

Le Ricain

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:20 am

GrudgeBringer wrote:I have seen SOME reference to these questions but its always "I am not sure about the exact amount" or "I THINK this is how its done" ect.

1. Setting an ambush

Qustions are:

Thanks guys as Usual!!!

1. Dirkx has already answered.

2. Chasing cavalry and raiders is as Dirkx has said. Drag and drop yout unit on top of the target. If correctly done, you will get the merge symbol (red cross thing on a white background) on top of your unit. Set your unit to assoult (orange) and you can use RR and riverine transport. You can use any type unit, but obviously cavalry are better.

3. Start up costs are only for divisions. The cost is 10 money, 1 conscript and 5 WS. The cost for divisions are exactly the same regardless of size or commander.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Return to “AACW Strategy discussions”